A few of my favourites

Mini Forklift

HEALTHY MUESLI

I'll throw a few good, healthy recipes into the mix. I use them regularly, feel free to try them out and let me know what you think...

4 cups of jumbo oats

1 cup of whole linseeds

1 cup desiccated coconut (this is for flavour only)

½ a cup of each of the following:

• Pumpkin seeds

• Sunflower seeds

• Diced apricots

• Raisins

• Sesame seeds

• Almonds

Mix together. At night soak 7 tablespoons of the above muesli in a liquid of your choosing (water/juice/milk/soymilk etc). Alternatively just mix up the seed/nut mixture and store in a glass jar – then soak two tablespoons of this overnight on its own to add to a muesli mixture of your choice. Soaking your oats overnight and eating them raw means a higher bioavailability of the oat protein, better absorption and oats only when raw, deliver prebiotics to the gut.

Add any other ingredients you like – chia, fruits etc. Just before eating, chop on top your favourite topping – bananas, blackcurrants, yoghurt etc and add 3 Brazil nuts to receive your daily RDI of selenium and 3 walnuts for your brain health. Your brain is made up of over 50% DHA.

There are differing views about the ideal and perfect ratio of daily essential fatty acids. What we do know is the Japanese have three times more Omega 3 fats in their bodies than the average Westerner. Vegans, who eat more seeds and nuts, have twice the Omega 3 fat level of the average American. Hemp seed oil is the only common seed oil that meets all known fatty acid needs. Another way of meeting the needs for both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats is to combine seeds. Pumpkin seeds and walnuts are good sources of Omega 3; while linseed is richest in Omega 3, containing around 50% Omega 3 and 10% Omega 6. Avocado, sesame seeds or tahini, pumpkin seeds and walnuts are richest in omega-9. One measure of sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and two measures of linseed totaling around two tablespoons will almost guarantee your daily intake of essential fatty acids. Most people choose to grind their seeds but I am not a fan of this practice. I prefer to keep them whole and soak them overnight, hence this recipe

This recipe is markedly different to the types of muesli you can buy from the supermarket; if you are in any doubt just skim through the list of ingredients and you will see what I mean.

HEALTHY APPLE CRUMBLE

Pour about 2 - 2.5cm or so of jumbo oats into a large baking dish. Then place into a big bowl (large enough to stir later). Then estimate how many apples will fill the dish leaving room for the oats to go on top later (usually around 15).

Then chop up the apples however you like them and cook them on the stove till slightly mushy. Pour them into the dish and add frozen blackcurrants or berries of any sort to add a tang.

Heat up ½ cup of rice malt mixed with ½ a cup of olive oil on the stove. This will need to be mixed constantly until liquid and gooey! Be careful, if left alone it can go out of the pot and all over your kitchen…

Once liquid, pour the rice malt / olive oil mix all through the jumbo oat, mixing in thoroughly right through until the mixture is holding together well enough.

Then lay it all over the top of the apples and bake at 200 for around 30-40 minutes till the top is slightly browned all over. Sprinkle coconut or diced almonds on top if you feel like it.

Serve with soy milk or even a little cream if you are feeling indulgent.

PROTEIN BLAST PANCAKE

* 6 x egg wihites

* 50-100g oats

* 1 x banana

* 1-2 x scoops protein powder

* Mix all of the ingredients together

* Pour into a non-stick pan with a little oil if needed

* Cook on a very low heat and cover pan

* Cook for around 5 minutes

* Flip over when it starts to bubble on top

Either eat it there and then or leave overnight in fridge and toast the following day (or it's pretty good cold as well).

Just so you know, most people probably won't be interested in the pancake recipe since egg whites aren't vegan!

Haha, I thought someone might pick up on that !!

What is the vegan substitute for egg whites? I'm a Pesco Vegetarian, having said that I hardly eat eggs anyway. Maybe one or two a week at the most.