Rj's Workout Journal

gweimo

I've been a vegan for almost 5 years, i'm also wheat free due to an allergy. I workout 4 times a week doing 3x full body weights

and 1x interval training (sprinting or tennis). I also walk my rescue dogs everyday, normally 20mins 6x a week and then one longer walk once a week of around 45mins to 1hour.

I've had a difficult year, being diagnose as Bipolar in March so as you can imagine working out went on the backburner especially when messing around with meds as the initial side effects ranged from splitting headaches to physical sickness and utter exhaustion. However I know that exercise helps me keep my mood more level especially when i'm struggling with depression. Both the sense of achievement from completing a workout, the power of being able to lift the weights I can now (I was so weak to start with) and improving everytime.I workout at home as I have a good selection of weights, a chin up bar and a bench.

I'm 5'8' and weight 55-57 kg's,slim with muscle, I easily lose weight but weights have helped me keep a healthier weight than when I ran (was around 49kg's).

I've been vegan for almost 5 years now and love it, I try and eat healthily,very little sugar apart from chocolate and I am never giving that up!

Fitness aims 2012: Consistantly workout 4 times a week

Get my abs more defined by April

Nutritional aims 2012:

Eat a healthy,balanced diet and incorperate recipes from Forks over Knives and Thrive

Make sure I carry food when I go out so I dont miss meals (bit of an issue)

Have a main evening meal 95% of the time instead of just snacking.

Have frozen,healthy meals in freezer so when we dont want to cook there's something there

Will post my current weights schedule later as need to workout now!

Edited by gweimo

My shoulders (especially my right one) have been sore since my last workout on Thursday. I was unsure as to whether I should

do my weights workout but decided to give it a go as I had lots of energy and really was up for it. Was fine with chin-ups. However I struggled getting my weight over my shoulders for my back squat (I have to lift it up then over my head as I dont have a stand) and smashed it straight

into my vertabrae (ouch!!). My shoulder flexibility is way off. I lightened the weight and managed to get it over fine but it was tender. I went to the next part of my superset, squat arnold and could only manage 6 reps when last time I did 10. Was sore so decided that I would have to stop, am tender now.

Wanted to workout but not use my shoulders, did Tae Bo abs and glutes- 30mins, was enjoyably difficult

Not sure whether to take the next 2 days off (have to take Monday off as i'm out all day) or try again tomorrow but risk a longer term injury. Very frustrated as have had a fantastic injury record this year (basically none!).

Turns out i've bruised one cervical vertebrae, had a very sore neck this am and is tender now when I move neck,am

not doing anything to make it worse (have to squat to pick things up) and have taken today "off" from exercise and will do the same tomorrow. Will keep using

heat treatment. Not to worried about missing a workout as have done 2 weight lifting sessions,an hour of tennis and tae bo

this week. Will do weights/alternative if still in pain 3x this week and sprinting/tennis x 1-2.

Was generally active and took dogs for a 30mins walk.

Had a healthy cooked dinner both yesterday (tried Thrive diet falafel yesterday was seriously delicious) and today. Have found new meds has increased hunger and made me knackered in pm so must make sure I workout in day. Am also waking up earlier,which is good as other meds made mornings hard!

Day off of proper exercise today,a lovely date day with my husband. Medium fast walk - 20mins downhill/flat,25mins uphill/flat and 20mins on flat

so total 1 hour 5 mins total of heart pumping out in the beautiful (very cold) sun.

Neck still feeling tender but much better (such a relief). Will do The Pit lower body tomorrow and rest shoulders/neck,wont do weights until i'm 100%. Very frustrated!

Shoulders much better,still tight and vertebrae still bruised so layed off weights. Did "The Pit" lower body workout- 52mins

and then abs after; side lying leg raises (per side) 30 + 25, bench v-ups 30+25, Full body cross crunches(touch opposite toes) 20+25

and bicycles 30+25

Walk dogs - 25mins

Shoulders worse today again,going to Dr tomorrow. Did P90x Plyometrics Dvd (basically squats with more squats)- 58mins long, good workout,tough but enjoyable.

Walked dogs 30mins.

Will do abs x (p90x) dvd tomorrow and will sprint.

Off to get my protein shake, thrive diet pizza for dinner (best food in the world).

Today was a beautiful day,absolutely stunning. Dr says my shoulders muscles are probably in spasm from the injury and I need to rest them so no weights for 2 week. I've taken a week off thus far so hopefully this time next week they will be better.

Went for a lovely 30min walk with the dogs this am. This afternoon I decided to do interval running as I thought it may be less stressful on the shoulders than sprinting as you use your arms for them. Walked and jogged to the common (5mins) Did 4 sets of this: 1.5min walk, 1 min run (medium speed), 1.5 min walk, 1 min fast run (almost sprint) so 20mins. Then jog up a hill 30secs. Fast walk home up a hill 7 mins.

The common was fairly muddy and as it was dusk it was difficult to know what ground you would land on so had to keep abs tense as it would be either very bumpy from horse shoe prints or solid or a mole hole, makes it a interesting run though!

Followed by P90x abs - 15mins long

25 reps of each of the following:

In and Out

Seated Bicycle

Seated Crunchy Frog

Cross leg sit ups

Fifer Scissors

Hip Rock and Raise

Pulse Up

Rock up/V-Up combo

Oblique V-up

Leg Climb

Mason Twist

That's odd I posted an entry yesterday yet it's not here!

On Saturday I did GSP rushfit fighting conditioning workout which is 44 minutes long, I kept up with GSP no bother and enjoyed it . Have to say I felt pretty amazed at that. I also walked the girls for 20 mins.

Here's what's included in the GSP fighting fit workout.

Warm-up (10:50 min)- 10 exercises performed for 1 minute each.

Torso twists

Side bend (alternating sides)

Walk out arms to plank position/walk feet into standing/starting position (one rep in one direction, then turn around & repeat in other direction)

Ginga (alternating rear lunge from capoeira)

Squat down>walk out to plank position>push-up> return to standing position

Lateral Lunges (alternating, both arms come to the front of body)

Walk out to plank position>Push-up>lateral plank w/ 5 second hold (alternating sides)

Air squat (squat w/ both arms in front of body)

Bird/dog- hold for 5 seconds, work on one side, then repeat on other side.

Roll down (similar to pilates version)

Work section (29:56 min.)

Round 1 (5 min.)

Forward/Backward/Side to Side (30 seconds each side): stepping in fighting stance in four directions, stance switch, repeat on other side.

Forward/Backward/Side to Side/Level change (30 seconds each side): same sequence as previous exercise with a sumo/plie squat (level change), stance switch, repeat on other side.

Forward/Backward/Side to Side/Shoot (60 seconds): same sequence as previous exercise with a shoot (fast lunge forward w/ front leg, back leg taps to the floor in back of the front leg) and pivot to face the back, repeat to face the front side, and switch stance, continue alternating sides (two reps per side).

Forward/Backward/Side to Side/Sprawl (30 seconds each side): same sequence as first exercise with a sprawl (similar to burpee exercise, but hips touch the floor), switch stance, repeat on other side. Modified exercise for sprawl: Step into plank position & step back to starting position.

Circling (60 seconds): Alternate circling (right & left lead) in the room (like facing opponent in a ring) in fighting stance.

Calisthenics: 4 squat/kicks (squat w/ alternating front kicks), knuckle push-ups (push-up on knuckles w/ hand pull off floor after lowering to the floor). Modified exercise for knuckle push-ups: isometric hold in plank position. Erik says that the calisthenics section can be skipped for those who want less intensity, or need a rest between rounds.

Round 2 (5 min.)- focus on striking

Each exercise in this round is performed for 30 seconds each side, sequence is completed on one side, switch stance, repeat sequence on other side.

Jab/cross/hook/level change

Upper Cut/Hook/Rear Knee/level change: Rear knee is knee raise w/ the rear leg.

Hook/Cross/Hook/Rear kick/Sprawl

Jab/Cross/Hook/Rear Kick/Kick check: Kick check is a knee raise w/ the opposite leg of the rear kick leg (leg is facing front for all, except Georges, he has a turned out leg/knee).

Jab/Roundhouse/Side kick: same leg is used for both kicks, the rear leg performs the roundhouse kick and rotates the body (180 turn), then pivot back to starting position after side kick.

Calisthenics

Round 3 (5 min.)- focus on striking & takedowns

Each exercise in this round is performed for 30 seconds each side, sequence is completed on one side, switch stance, repeat sequence on other side.

Jab/cross/level change

Jab/cross/shoot: there is a quick level change before the shoot, and body is pivoted around to face other side (back).

Cross/Hook/Shoot/Lift/Slam: The lift is where one pretends to grab an opponent from the side (arms clasped together, raise overhead), and the slam is pretending to slam the body to the ground (body rotates into plie/sumo squat & arms are brought down to knee level)). Body pivots around to face other side (back) after the slam move.

Elbow/ Elbow/Uchi Mata (Judo throw): Alternating elbows (rear vertical, then Front), back step (body faces back), Uchi Mata (step, arms touch the floor, while one leg lifts back for a moment in line w/ the body/, or a bit above/ 3/4 of a standing split, Georges lifts higher than the others), pivot all the way around to face the front.

Uppercut/Hook/Sprawl

Calisthenics: 4 squat/kicks (squat w/ alternating front kicks), knuckle push-ups (push-up on knuckles w/ hand pull off floor after lowering to the floor). Modified exercise for knuckle push-ups: isometric hold in plank position. Erik says that the calisthenics section can be skipped for those who want less intensity, or need a rest between rounds.

Round 4 (5 min.)- focus on ground work & Jiu-Jitsu

Each exercise is performed for 60 seconds.

Hip escape: Starts out by lying on back w/ bent knees, turn to side and body forms 90 degree angle (on the floor), one leg is straight, while the other has a bent knee or can be more straight, the arms reach for the toes, alternate sides.

Armbar abs: Lie on back w/ one bent knee, one straight leg, facing forward, alternate rotating body to the side w/ one straight leg making a swinging motion, the other leg has a bent knee (folds under as body rotates to side). Shoulders & head stay off of the floor during the exercise, hands are clasped w/ arms on chest or a held above.

Kimura (shoulder lockout) Sit up: Lie on back w/ bent knees, rotate to one side w/ upper body, and the moving arm forms a lockout by holding on to the wrist of the static arm (bent at the elbow), alternate sides.

Triangle choke: Lie on back w/ bent knees, kick both legs and body is off the floor “get up on the shoulders” quickly place the ankle of a turned out leg (bent knee) in back of the other leg’s knee (bends to meet it), alternate sides.

Sit Up to Hip Heist: Lying on back w/ entire body on floor, reverse crunch to upright position (leg straight in front of body), into hip heist (lift hips up, one leg kicks through to sit facing the opposite side, other leg quickly joins it).

Calisthenics

Round 5 (5 min.)

Each exercise is performed for 30 seconds on each side.

Jab/cross/step off/front kick: Step off is a side step (it’s very quick), there is a pivot to face the other direction, repeat exercise.

Standing Guard Pass w/ two punches: start w/ knees on the floor, stand up (one leg at a time) and punch down twice, return to floor, repeat (knee that stands up first, is the first to return to the floor).

Elbow/Elbow/Knee/Level change: knee is a rear knee.

Jab/Front Kick/Sprawl/Knee: Rear leg performs the kick and knee.

Scramble: Rotations w/ body on floor, body starts in plank position, then knees bend (picture quadruped position w/ knees off of the floor). The body rotates (half or full rotations) w/ opposite arm to leg supporting the rotational movement & transfer of weight. The butt should not touch the floor, and should move as fast as possible.

Calisthenics

Cooldown (6: 52 min)- all on floor, 30 second hold for each exercise

Hip flexor stretch w/ arm up, repeat on other side

Side straddle (full split position) or butterfly stretch (alternate exercise)

Hamstring stretch (both legs, straight, facing forward, bend at waist & arms reach forward)

Hip extensor/abductor stretch- legs both bent to 90 degrees, one in front and one in the back (front leg, outside of leg is flat on floor, back leg has inside of leg flat on floor)> bend at waist to bring upper body forward (as far as possible), elbows rest on floor.

Lat stretch- start in quadruped position> extend both arms forward> sit/drop back the butt to the heels and hold (cues to widen stance of knees to also stretch the adductors).

Chest & shoulders stretch- arms straightened in the back of the body & hands clasped together, and arms are lifting upwards, this is performed while sitting on the heels.

Sunday was a rest day apart from a 15min walk with the dogs. I used this day to evaluate my week and plan the next. I was pleased with my progress this week,not allowing my injury as an excuse to not exercise. I ate well and had a proper dinner every evening,i'm really happy with this.

The plan for this week is:

Monday - Revised weights (careful on the shoulder)

Tuesday- Sprinting or Interval or DVD and p90x abs (not if a dvd includes it)

Wednesday-Rest

Thursday- Weights A and abs

Friday- Sprinting/Interval or Tennis

Saturday-Out all day rest

Sunday- Out all day rst

Edited by gweimo

Monday:

Renegade rows 18kg 10+8+6 Supersetted with Front Squats 35kg-10+8+6

Preacher curs 8kg-10 9kg-8+5 supersetted with Decline pushups-22+20+15

Chin ups-20+20+17 supersetted with 2 arms swings 30kg-10+8+6

Then a friend came over 20mins early so I didnt do my final exercise overhead squats. Was very irritated by this but what can you do?

Tuesday:

Insanity max interval circuit- This is possibly the hardest workout i've ever done,I was fine with rushfit,p90x plymometric and the pit but this almost killed me. 57mins/60 mins then sharp pain in left hip so streched. This included a pretty difficult abs section (although easier than other stuff but I have strong abs). My shoulders were tender after which is not good.

Edited by gweimo

Day off today. Was a very busy long day. Did 1hour 20mins of fast walking (is the way I walk) today including 6 mins up a steep hill, twice. Dog walk included in total. Left shoulder was tender today but should be ok for tomorrow,will certainly be careful with it.

Did well by pre planning meals and having a healthy soup ready for dinner this evening which was fantastic as I was hungry when I got in despite taking celery and almonds.

Decided to play tennis today and do weights tomorrow as it was one beautiful day today and it's meant to be bloody cold tomorrow! Had a good

game, kept my heart rate up for the whole time which was 45-50mins. Was a 20 minute fast walk (70% of the time downhill) there and a 25min (70% of the time uphill) fast walk home.

Also took the dogs for walk,about 20mins of walking (they like playing ball so much more for them).

Weights A and abs (I have three weights workouts,creatively named a,b and c, they all involve a variety of compounds): The exercises next to each other are supersetted e.g I do one set of chin ups then one set of bent deadlifts. The weights are all matching personal bests or one kg lighter.

Warm up:

Bicycle (no arms just legs)-2mins

single and double leg extentions with an exercise ball - 10 each leg single and 10 total for double

weight crosses (sat upright take weight from bottom left to top right and vice versa) on exercise ball - 10 each side

push up position then opposite legs out x 10

front exercise ball hip extentions x10

mountain jumpers x 10

breakdancers x 10

skipping (no rope) medium fast -1 min v.fast - 1min

Main:

Chin ups-(first time using a

backpack with a weight inside) 3.8kg total-20+15+11 Bent deadlifts 59.6kg-10+8+6

Squat Press 13kg per dumbell-9+8+6 Pushup decline (first time with weight on back,6.3kg)-10+10+12

Renegade rows 19kg per dumbell 8+6+6 1 arm swing 23kg 10+8+6

Chest press 29kg - 3+2 then lowered weight to 28kg 3+3

Run up and walk down stairs (1-up and down) with 12.9kg on back x 10 (about 3 -4mins)

Abs- all 30:

Decline leg thrusts,scissors,bicycles,reverse crunches,abs wheels and cross crunches. Plank regular -75secs and side planks (each side)- 60sec

Went got a 25minute very cold walk with the dogs,I couldnt have worn more layers!

Off to cook a stir fry for dinner

Saturday= Day off, out all day, Did about 1 hour 20mins total fast walking.

Sunday-Day off,dog training am then animal rights group pm, walked dogs for 40mins

after dog training. Then 30mins walking to and from the meeting,second 15mins up a steep

hill.

Plan for next week:

Monday-Workout B

Tuesday-rest (busy)

Wednesday-Workout C

Thursday-Sprint/tennis/dvd

Friday-rest

Saturday- Workout A

Felt off the pace today,everything seems to take 4x as long and require more energy,

think it's my sleep being disturbed catching up with me. Will go to bed early tonight.

Did Weights B and abs today, took about 1 hour 20mins which is about 15mins longer than usual,

was a combination of being slower than usual and getting into the routine again,knowing

which weights I use for x exercise etc.

he exercises next to each other are supersetted e.g I do one set of front squats then one set of

1 arm rows.

Warm up:

single and double leg extentions with an exercise ball - 10 each leg single and 10 total for double

weight crosses (sat upright take weight from bottom left to top right and vice versa) on exercise ball - 10 each side

mountain jumpers x 10

breakdancers x 10

skipping (no rope) medium fast -1 min v.fast - 1min

Main:

Front Squat (PB) 38kg - 10+8+6 1 arm rows (PB)26.5kg-10+8+6

Clean and push (PB) 31kg-8+6+4 Dips (with 20kg on lap)-23+25+20

Lunges (back) 21kg-10+8+6 High pull (PB) 41.6kg -10+8+6

Straight leg deadlifts (PB-bear in mind I weight 55!) 61.6kg- 9+6+4

Abs- all 30:

Decline leg thrusts,scissors,bicycles,reverse crunches,abs wheels, side crunch lift legs-both sides and cross crunches

Am in pain,not just stiff or a bit tender but sore today,arms and shoulders especially. Day off today anyway,may change tomorrow to interval/sprinting and do weights on Thursday.

Was busy today about 1.5hrs medium walking,some shopping. Ate a proper dinner but also some naughty snacks after,all husbands fault for bringing them into the house .

Shoulders and arms by elbow joints still sore,thinking bad to my clean and presses I hyper-extended my arms both due to the weight and momentum. This will have taxed my already slightly sensitive shoulders and hurt my tendons near elbow. Very frustrating being sore and injured. Seems to have been an issue this year. Will miss the middle weights session and replace with eve then for Saturday weights will go for lighter weights and do 12,10 and 8 reps instead of 10,8 and 6.

Today I did the pit lows body which is 51 minute long and your legs certainly feel it with over 250 squats alone.

Will go sprinting and do p90x abs tomorrow.

Went sprinting today,meant to do abs too but forgot as was feeling weak and Knackered

after running as hadn't eaten in a long time (bar a few dates and almonds before running).

Times were slower than usual but grass was onger and thus softer and legs heavy from yesterday.Overall time was 19.45 mins,

sprinted,rested (either walk or stop) to catch my breath then sprint again.

6x 50m

5x 75m

5x 100m

Also a 20 minute fast walk each way, hill on the way back.

So tired now. Just finished making my mother in law a vegan chocolate raspberry cake for her birthday tomorrow,wanted it to be perfect,not the best icing in the world but first time using fondant icing. Made her the same recipe but as cupcakes to take to work and the chief where she works wants the recipe which is brilliant ad now he can make vegan cake! So annoying to not be able to eat it due to wheat allergy...maybe I should make wheat free cupcakes. Rambling! Sorry,must sleep now

Edited by gweimo

Had a scheduled day off yesterday, just took the dogs for a 20min walk. The cake went down very well and I have more requests for the recipe .

My sleep is absolutely attrocious at the moment with this medication,last night I had maybe 5 hours of very restless sleep, I feel awful,

my muscles hurt and my recovery between workout sessions is slow. It's so frustrating but shows how important good sleep is.

Planned to workout today but i'm out this evening and have been busy all day, to do a weights workout now would wipe me out for tonight and I need to walk there and back (about 25mins each way including a hill on the way back) and then stand for a few hours (for an Adam Ant concert). Will do it tomorrow instead, I am busy but I can fit it in the afternoon, this also fits in with next week as i'm busy Monday doing some vegan outreach .

Not feeling good today. Couldn't workout,will have to find time tomorrow. Frustrated. Sometimes things

don't go the way you want them to be the most important thing is to learn what you can when things

dont go your way and accept when you can do anything!

Plan for the next week:

Monday-Workout C and abs

Tuesday-Rest (longer walk with dogs)

Wednesday- Workout A and Abs

Thursday- Sprints/tennis/dvd

Friday-Rest (going bowling and for Japanese food for 4th anniversary of day my hubby and I first met)

Saturday- Workout B and abs

Sunday-Rest

Edited by gweimo

Bike- 25mins total include 10mins of one hell of a hill

Dog walk - 20mins

Weights Workout C and Abs

The exercises next to each other are supersetted e.g I do one set of back squats then one set of Squat arnold press. The weights are all matching personal bests or one kg lighter.

Warm up:

mountain jumpers x 10

breakdancers x 10

Skipping 1 min medium speed

1 min fast speed

Main:

Handlebar chin ups-14+10+8

Back Squats 33kg-12+10+8 Squat Arnold Press 12kg 9+8+6

Barbell Roe 40.6kg-10+8+6 2 Arm Swings (PB) 31kg-10+8+6

Overhead Squats (PB) 26kg- 9+8+6 1 Arm Snatch- 19kg-10+8+6

Abs:

Abs- all 30:

Decline leg thrusts,scissors,bicycles,reverse crunches,abs wheels and cross crunches. 15 each side lye on side and raise legs together to arms oblique exercise.

Scheduled Rest day today,feeling fairly good,slightly heavy legs and tender arms (inside of elbows) but generally feeling good.

Went for a walk with the dogs,50 minutes at medium fast pace.

Have done really well regards eating dinner and an overall good diet. Eaten a proper dinner everynight bar 2 since the 1st so really good.

Did workout A and abs today. Short walk with the dogs,about 15mins.

Workout A:

Warm up:

mountain jumpers x 10

breakdancers x 10

1 min fast speed

Main:

Chin ups (with 3.8kg on back)-15+15+15 Bent deadlifts 59.6kg-10+8@6

Squat press 13kg (per dumbell)-9+6+6 Push up decline with 6.3 kg on back-10+10+10

Renegade rows 18kg-10+8+7 1 arm swing 23kg-10+8+7

Chest press 28kg -4+2+3

Run up and down stairs with 13.9 kg on back x 12

Abs:

Incline scissors- 10+10+10

incline reverse crunches- 10+10+10

incline straight leg pulses,push down on-10+10+10

decline crunches with 2.5kg weight behind weight 10+10+10

Edited by gweimo

Yesterday I did 1.5 hours of interval training, was good fun but also heart pumping

stuff.

Today was a scheduled day off although I was active. I first took the dogs for a 20minute walk then walked

Into town and to get shopping (30mins) then I wasn't ready for lunch so went for a 45 minute medium fast walk.

After lunch we went bowling then walked home ( 45mins). So total 2 hours 30mins of walking,not bad for a day of rest.

Workout B and Abs

Warm up:

mountain jumpers x 10

breakdancers x 10

1 min fast speed

Main:

Front Squats (PB) 39.1kg-1)+7+6 1 arm row (PB)27kg-8+7+7

Clean and press-31kg-10+8+6 Dips (PB) (20kg on legs)- 24+23+22

Back lunges 22kg 10+8+6 High Pull (PB)-44.6 9+8+6

Straight leg deadlift (PB) 61.6-10+8+6

For the high pull I accidentally added 3 kg's more than last time! Still did good reps which

is amazing really!

Run up and down stairs with 13.9 kg on back x 14

Abs:

Incline scissors- 30+30+30

incline reverse crunches- 12+12+12

incline straight leg pulses,push down on-20+20+10

decline crunches with 2.5kg weight behind weight 12+12+12

Overall was a fantastic workout,faster than usual,lifted lots of personal bests and felt great!