Top Posters In This Topic

FOOD

9:00 -- protein smoothie

12:30 -- baby carrots

3:30 -- protein smoothie

6:00 -- wild rice and mushrooms

8:30 -- almonds and a pear

EXERCISE

4 mile run outside (with hills) -- 45 minutes (This was way slower than I would normally run, but I stuck with my running partner. I had to--I didn't know the route!)

stretch -- 5 minutes

Hi Carley,

Consistency is really important- and you clearly have that down! In regard to feeling not as strong with your workouts my initial thought is that you might not be eating enough to fuel your workouts. When you're running, it's very important that you're refueling after your runs with some good carbs and protein like banana in a protein shake.

If you're feeling bored with the runs I'd definitely suggest changing up your runs- which it looks like you did on your last run- outside with hills. I do a speed day (sprint intervals), an easy day (slower pace), a long run day and then a moderate distance day (usually around 2-3 miles less than my long run). Adding variety to the runs will make you faster and keep your mind and body guessing!

I'm going to put together some strength ideas and email you today!

Hope this helps- let me know if you have any questions!

My boyfriend started "Insanity" today, so I decided to try the "Fit Test" with him. All I have to say is, slacking off on my workouts last week definitely hurt me! It was a good motivator though

FOOD

12:30 -- pear and almonds

3:30 -- apple

6:00 -- HUGE salad (spinach, mushrooms, chickpeas, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, blueberries, quinoa, cucumbers, etc.)

7:30 -- protein shake

EXERCISE

Insanity Fit Test -- 20 minutes (switch kicks, squat jacks, power knees, power jumps, globe jumps, suicide jumps, push-up jacks, low plank obliques)

stretch -- 5 minutes

FOOD

12:30 -- HUGE salad (spinach, mushrooms, chickpeas, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, blueberries, edamame, cucumbers, etc.)

3:30 -- almonds

6:00 -- protein shake

6:30 -- wild rice and mushrooms

7:00 -- apple and orange

EXERCISE

3 mile hill run -- 27:05 minutes

stretch -- 5 minutes

I've only done two days of it, and I'm not following the 60-day plan--just jumping in with my boyfriend when I'm not running or taking a day off. That being said... IT'S HARD! Yesterday's workout was a 10 minute warm-up (though I was "warmed up" after about five minutes), five minutes of stretching, one circuit three times through, another circuit three times through and then five minutes of stretching.

It's definitely intense and different--the sort of workout you love to hate! After just a few days though, I can see why people who stick with it (and eat well!) get such great results!

It was raining all day today, so I decided to do Insanity again. Tonight's workout was more like power yoga, so it was a nice change! I also made my protein shake with coconut milk instead of almond milk today... I wanted to try something new, but the protein powder dissolves better in almond milk!

FOOD

8:30 -- protein smoothie

12:30 -- HUGE salad (spinach, mushrooms, chickpeas, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc.)

3:30 -- apple

5:30 -- baby carrots and hummus

6:00 -- raw cashews and an orange

7:15 -- protein shake

EXERCISE

Insanity Cardio Recovery -- 30 minutes

HELL YES! 8.5 Mile Run? Get after it, girl! I love it! That's awesome! Are you increasing the food and calories on long run days? I know I've been after you about this- I have to work on the same thing myself (believe me). But just please remember that an 8.5 mile run burns 850 + calories and just walking around you're burning at least 1600 - 2000 just keeping yourself alive so you need to make sure you're giving your body enough to repair for your next run! Keep up the AMAZING work!

xoxo

Thanks, Amanda! That's the farthest I've ever run, so I was pretty happy with it. I was definitely feeling it afterward, though! My hips (mostly my left, actually) were killing me! I did some yoga tonight to try to help with the soreness.

I'm trying to increase my calories on long run days! Sometimes it's just hard to get myself to eat extra food--it's more of a mental thing than anything else!

FOOD

12:15 -- broccoli and almonds

3:00 -- apple

5:15 -- red pepper, baby carrots and hummus

6:00 -- cashews

6:30 -- grapes

EXERCISE

yoga -- 60 minutes

That's awesome Carley! Have you tried foam rolling? I wish to goodness someone told me to start foam rolling when I first started running! If you don't do it or need ideas on where to start, let me know and I'll give you some resources! It's so worth it. Also, do so hip strengthening exercises- another thing I wish someone told me to do early on. You can just lay on your side and light your leg (hip abductions) or use a weighted stick to give added resistance. Strengthening the hips and glutes helps a ton!

I hear ya on the eating more thing- for sure! It's def mental- it's hard to make yourself eat more- but look at it as keeping your metabolism fulling running- your body has to have fuel to keep running and burning. If you aren't hungry don't eat tons more, but I have noticed just adding a banana or some veggie sushi (with rice on it) before a run really does give me more energy (fuel to burn). Post run make sure you're eating some carbs (to fill in lost muscle glycogen) and protein (to keep your muscles strong and repairing). Doing that will keep your body strong! Just adding a little extra food for those purposes is a great place to start!

Hope that helps! xo

Carely great job on keeping up with your training journal! Many people gave it a start, way to stick with it regularly all the way til the end. Obviously don't stop now as it should be for all of us more about working towards our personal goals rather than getting a prize. Never the less I'm sure it will feel great to be rewarded for your efforts in prize form as well as in personal fitness results.

-Dylan

Amanda -- I've used a foam roller a few times, but I don't have one myself. I need to invest in one! It totally killed my hips when I used it though; I don't know if it's because it was because I was sore or my hips were weak. How much do foam rollers usually cost? Where can I get one? Amazon?

Dylan -- Thanks so much!

FOOD

1:15 -- HUGE salad (mixed greens, beets, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.)

3:30 -- fruit salad

6:00 -- protein shake

6:15 -- baby carrots and hummus

7:30 -- cashews and an apple

EXERCISE

three-mile run -- 25:42

Hi Carley,

First of all, amazing work this month! It's been such a pleasure getting to know you and supporting you in your fitness goals! Please keep in touch and feel free to email me with questions or updates any time!

Foam rollers are between $30 an $50. I got mine at Dick's sporting goods. Not sure if you have that near you. Amazon would be a great option too!

Good luck and great job!!! Thank you for letting me work with you!

Hugs! Amanda

Hey Carley, you've done such a great job this month with the New You for the New Year Challenge! You've done an awesome job with your consistency in journaling and fitness! We'll be posting an announcement soon with details about eligibility for the prize package and all that jazz. Hope you'll stick around VBB through February and beyond!

All the best,

Karen

Thanks, Amanda--same to you! I really appreciate all of your help, advice and support! Also, I forgot to tell you earlier... I signed up for the Pittsburgh half marathon (I think you knew that, though) and a Warrior Dash in June! I'm really excited for both I bought some spirulina to try today, too! I ordered in online through Spencer's Market, so I should be getting it in about two weeks!

Thanks, Karen! It's been great posting here! I use SparkPeople to track my nutrition/fitness, too, but I really like the sense of community here! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that post!

Of course! That's awesome about those races! Warrior Dash is so much fun! You'll love it! I believe Nancy (also on our team) is signing up for the Dash as well! Love Spirulina! It's great in smoothies- TONS of protein and super alkalizing! So good for you! Post run smoothie add in = perfection!

Can't wait to see your continued progress!!!! You're doing so awesome!