Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Curious
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Interesting reading ~ I will be sure to have a full read through your journal this afternoon. All the best & regards from New Zealand MF.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm 
Manatee

While looking through some other journals a little earlier, I realized that I haven't posted a single picture of myself. It didn't take much for me to realize that I haven't posted any because I'm scared to, which is absurd because this is the place where I should feel safe to do so. So...I'm telling my self-consciousness to suck it, and I'm posting some.
I actually took a few about a year ago, shortly after I got my gym membership (I wasn't working out too hard back then) so I'm going to show you those, as well as ones that I took just now before I sat to write this.
(The yellow bikini pictures are from last march)

Attachments:
P3070484 (480x640).jpg
P3070484 (480x640).jpg [ 155.96 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]
P3070478 (600x800).jpg
P3070478 (600x800).jpg [ 199.67 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm 
Manatee

And tonight's pictures...
(P.S - sorry for the extra large size of the last picture...)

Attachments:
P1210879 (480x640).jpg
P1210879 (480x640).jpg [ 163.33 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]
P1210878 (385x640).jpg
P1210878 (385x640).jpg [ 138.36 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]
P1210876 (314x640).jpg
P1210876 (314x640).jpg [ 120.05 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20 pm 

Nice transformation !! Looks like you have added some quality muscle and toned up very nicely.

You happy with how things are going for you? I think diet is the most important thing followed by training and recovery.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:39 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Nice transformation !! Looks like you have added some quality muscle and toned up very nicely.

You happy with how things are going for you? I think diet is the most important thing followed by training and recovery.

Funny enough, I've only been training really intensely for maybe 2 months, especially so this last month. I only started looking after my diet at the beginning of january, so most of the changes have occurred in the last few weeks. That alone makes me extremely happy :) My strength is very much improved, too, which is awesome. I have to agree though, diet is more important than anything... eating protein and carbs right after an intense workout almost feels better than the actual workout! You can practically feel the food being absorbed by your muscles, I love it.

I've always loved the gym, but now that I'm focusing more on it, I think about it all the time. Last night I fell asleep thinking about when I can train next..
I've already discovered that I look leaner/more muscular on minimal carbs...If I have a higher amount of carbs on days I'm not in the gym, I definitely look bulkier.
I miss my pop, chips, and other horrible yet delicious foods (like cookies...that's what I'm craving this week). As much as I hate those cravings, though, I love knowing that I'm changing my body, and it's totally worth the effort to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm 
Manatee

I just pulled out my weight card from a powerlifting competition back in highschool. I was at my heaviest back then..on this specific day I weighed in at 134.4lbs and I lifted;
Squat 104.5lbs
Bench 88lbs
Deadlift 209lbs

I'm not sure what I could deadlift now, but weighing anywhere from 123 - 127lbs (depending on the day) I squat 110lbs for sets with relative ease, and bench 70lbs for reps [I'm up'ing this tomorrow].

This just made me feel pretty darn good.

Oh, and for the record, my deadlift was superior to any other female competitor :D There were 3 girls who lifted more than what I did, but they weighed at least 30lbs more than me (some outweighing me by over 60lbs) and only lifted roughly 20lbs more than me. Woot! No wonder I loved deadlifts so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm 

You think you'll compete again? I compete in the 130-145lb class and normally weigh in about 142 on the morning, I'm a lightweight !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 pm 

Deadlift is my favourite lift as well, I have long arms so naturally I'm built better for it I guess. This was the last meet I did just over a month ago...

Can't wait to get into things again this year. I love to get up and see what I can do, really test yourself. I thrive on the pressure and love the intensity of the training that's required. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :D

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Manatee

My arms are the same, rather long for my size (thankfully not noticeably so! lol)

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about getting back into competing. I'm not sure I'd be anywhere near the level I should be for my age, I haven't competed since high school...5 or 6 years ago now. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting into it.

-

Does anyone else have the kind of days where you go through your workout, and you know you're not slacking, but it just doesn't feel right because your mind isn't focused? That was my day today..a little disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
Manatee

Ugh...back to square one with my pulled groin. It actually feels worse than before..this time it's painful, last time it wasn't really, just uncomfortable. :(
I had my leg workout today, and it was going so well, though rushed so it wasn't a great workout, until I thought 'let's crank out a few sets on the leg press before finishing up'. I have been doing leg press in the last few weeks and it's been no problem, but today it was. I guess cardio is out of the question for quite a while yet!
Any "quick fix" solutions?! :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm 
Manatee

Work is really, really not helping my leg. I feel like every 2 minutes I have to crouch or kneal for something, and standing back up is when it hurts the most. Rest would really, really be awesome...but I'm puppysitting 2 dogs for the next week, one of them being 12 weeks old, so I don't think I'm getting that any time soon...*sigh*
Luckily, I've learned to absolutely love working upper body and I can still do that. I want to go to the gym...

Oh, and I definitely cheated today..I had 'white almond bark'. Essentially almonds in white chocolate. It was fantastic..all 500 calories of it lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:15 pm 
Manatee

Calories are through the roof this weekend! I'm really hoping it'll work to my advantage in the end...lol I haven't been eating anything horrible though..just more of the healthy stuff. Like yesterday, I had a lot of almonds, brown rice, garlic bread (home made, no cheese), a significant amount of veggies...I have a biological excuse for my cravings though, so while I feel that I've given in, I haven't exactly. Yesterday my stomach just wouldn't shut up, but it turns out it was just asking for carbs...and they were delicious = )
The stores are still taunting me with cookies, and I so desperately want one...or several. Maybe I'll satisfy the craving with a subway cookie later this week if it won't go away...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 pm 
Manatee

I feel like my groin being not only still injured, but worse than before, has derailed my focus completely. Saying no to the things I cut out of my diet is getting harder and harder, and more depressing. Some people might say that it's because I miss those foods that I feel this way. Granted, I do miss them, but knowing that I can't work as hard as I want is incredibly frustrating, and I think we all know that food is a fantastic comfort lol I want...cookies, and chocolate, and a muffin. Oh god how I want a muffin haha The only way I stopped myself from getting some type of chocolate at lunch today was to get a diet coke..even then I was quite bitter about it.
The days that I am in the gym, working upper body, my head isn't in it. I still kill it, doing everything I should, but it just doesn't FEEL as good as it should, ya know? Not to mention that my upper body workout hurts my leg...that brings me down some, too.
I haven't even had a chance to rest it..babysitting 2 dogs, one of which is only 12 weeks, allows zero opportunity to relax with ice on my leg, and plenty of opportunity to strain it some more. Same with at work, no rest..

Anyway, I think that's enough bitching and complaining for one day lol
I had thought at the beginning of the month that I probably wouldn't keep this journal going, but all day I was thinking of posting on here. I don't even know if anyone reads my words, but it feels like I've vented nonetheless, and therefore I feel better. This is definitely helping me out. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm 

Would massage help?

I've never had groin issues, but I have had tendon/ITB band issues which I resolved with a combination of deep tissue work and Bowen Therapy. Just a thought.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 am 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Would massage help?

I've never had groin issues, but I have had tendon/ITB band issues which I resolved with a combination of deep tissue work and Bowen Therapy. Just a thought.

What's Bowen Therapy? I have tried massaging, just on my own, and while I can find the most tender spots, it's unproductive otherwise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next