Partially vegan?

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Ojibwa
Rabbit

Partially vegan?

#1 Postby Ojibwa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 pm

One of my Facebook friends posted a recipe recently, and said that she is "about 80%" vegan. Is that even possible? Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant? Has anybody else here run into people who claim to be partially vegan?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Re: Partially vegan?

#2 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 pm

I would think that you either are or you aren't ?!

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#3 Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:09 am

one time in a restaurant I overheard a girl saying that she's "sometimes a vegetarian." I thought it was the weirdest statement ever. My mom was with me, and she's an omnivore, and she thought it was bizarre as well.

My husband is an omnivore but when he eats dinner in our house it's vegan. That doesn't make him a "sometimes vegan."

Richard
Site Admin

#4 Postby Richard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 am

I guess they mean 80% of the ingredients are vegan, 20% are not. But of course, the entire thing is not vegan as a result

HorseSense
Manatee

#5 Postby HorseSense » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:07 am

A little bit of leaven ruins the whole lump.
High carb, low fat, whole foods. Any questions?

HxC_Nismo
Rabbit

#6 Postby HxC_Nismo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am

LMAO, I'm partially a movie star cause I was on the news for about 30 seconds.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King Jr

SeaSiren
Elephant

#7 Postby SeaSiren » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 am

hee hee

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#8 Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Ojibwa wrote:One of my Facebook friends posted a recipe recently, and said that she is "about 80%" vegan. Is that even possible? Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant? Has anybody else here run into people who claim to be partially vegan?

I suppose it's either
80% of her food is vegan, 20% is not
or
80% of her day is vegan, 20% is not

Either way, not vegan enough! :D
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#9 Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Hmm, you know, now that I think about it I've definitely seen people say their diet is "90% raw" or "80% raw" or whatever, and I didn't find THAT weird. Yet I find the claim about 80% vegan odd. *shrug*

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

#10 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 pm

the person geographically closest to this facebook friends needs to go to her home and smack her.
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

vivalasvegans
Elephant

#11 Postby vivalasvegans » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 pm

This thread is making me giggle.

Srsly though Lobster brings up a good point. There's a difference between talking about the per centage of ingredients in your food or diet being raw, plant based, or carbohydrate, and whether not your intention is to live a compassionate life free of animal objectification. You can eat a certain per cent of death-free ingredients. You are either vegan or you're not.
Radical simply means "grasping things at the root." - Angela Davis

MikeVanTso
Rabbit

#12 Postby MikeVanTso » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:14 pm

F*ck that! :x

Either you ARE or you ARENT. Being vegan isn't a diet or a way to lose weight, hell its not even revolutionary. If you cling to this term "vegan" as an attribute to yourself, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Follow the guidelines that your ethics and morals, or your health for that matter, set for you and leave the rhetoric to the -itarians.
Image Image

Epoch Expeditions is currently participating in the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge as part of our pilot expedition, The 400 Challenge. Click the images above for more info or to track our progress in our 3000 mile, cross-atlantic row.

VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus

#13 Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:58 pm

MikeVanTso wrote:If you cling to this term "vegan" as an attribute to yourself, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Dear sweet baby Jesus, it can't be said enough.

Would have been nice if the woman who was here a few weeks ago proclaiming she was "more vegan than most of us" despite eating meat and eggs would have been able to see this line. Alas, I fear she's moved on to find a new home where people will accept a meat-eating vegan :roll:
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#14 Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 pm

VeganEssentials wrote:
MikeVanTso wrote:If you cling to this term "vegan" as an attribute to yourself, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Dear sweet baby Jesus, it can't be said enough.

Would have been nice if the woman who was here a few weeks ago proclaiming she was "more vegan than most of us" despite eating meat and eggs would have been able to see this line. Alas, I fear she's moved on to find a new home where people will accept a meat-eating vegan :roll:

Ha, I miss that conversation. I couldn't stop talking about it in real life.

VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus

#15 Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm

I hear you, lobsteriffic - it was one of the most bizarre claims I've ever heard, and believe me, I've come across no shortage of wacky stuff people have said in the name of "being vegan"! Her statment was one of those things that was so astonishing about how someone could want a label so badly, they don't even care what they're associating with that's completely contradictory to how they live. Definitely the sort of thing that just makes you shake your head and wonder how anyone can be that far off base and still not get it!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

Return to “General Discussion”