Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yeti Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 pm 
Gorilla

Got my iron in today. 150lbs. 4x25's, 4x10's, and 2x5's. They came odd so I ordered 2x more 5's, and 4x2.5's. I will be going to Lowe's with my scale to get some 1/2lb micro weights made of chain, 8 to be exact.

My dumbbell handles aren't in, nor is my multi function no mar chinup/pullup bar. I'm deciding if I want to buy an EZ curl bar and two 45s, but I think I need a weight tree first, plus some mats to protect my floor. I need to go find a medical walker to do my dips on too.

200lbs is going to be perfect for me being limited to only dumbbells and body weight+

My diet is boring, same thing day after day. But I like it, it's healthy. Here's what I eat.
1/4 Loaf Sprouted Bread
1/2 Bag Frozen Veggies
2c Soymilk
1/2-1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Flaxseed
120g Rice or 140g Pasta, dry
1c Beans or Legumes, or 1/2 Block of Tofu (I found organic tofu on sale for 2 bucks!)
4 Bananas
1 or 2 Apple
Some Raisins
60g Protein Powder
6g Creatine
1 Gallon of Water
1 cup of coffee, few cups of tea

It comes out to about 2,500-2,750. Sometimes I go to Vons and end up with some olives and hummus to take home and slap on my bread, once a week I'll usually get a latte which are like 400. All in all my diet is heavily based on instinctive eating. When my sis and I do dinner she buys so those days are well over 3,000, plus she buys me soy or coconut ice cream for desert. Hehe.

I'm a simple dude. I eat on instinct. Anything in the realm of health I eat, I don't bother with calories anymore.

My exercise regime has evolved, sans weightlifting I've been sprinting 3x a week and doing other stuff, like farmers walks with Optima batteries I can't seem to sell. My sprints go by the mantra "as hard as I can push myself without puking". Usually my cardio days run 45min to 60 min. I sprint for 1 min, walk or jog for 2 or 3. I try and get 3 or 4 mi of solid sprinting in. My middle sprinting day usually has me a bit tired so I sometimes walk instead of jog for my rest period.

On my lifting days I'll be doing weighted walks, or farmers walks to fill in my cardio requirements. Shoulders day doesn't need it, I space my lifts 90sec apart, those are brutal.

Until I get my stuff though, it's just cardio.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
Gorilla

Ok, so my olympic dumbbell handles got rejected from my sisters address and sent back to USPS. I have to go get them. I did put my pullup/chinup bar together. But instead of using the chincey wrench I busted out my 10mm socket and wratchet and ended up snapping one of the bolts. It's cool cause I had to take the two wide grip handles off to get it to fit in my doorjam. It's very secure, feels very solid.

I've revised my sprints to a point where I am very happy with them, I have a few styles of sprinting combos to choose from, all are 45-60 minutes. I've gotten them to the point where I am doing 4-5 miles, and my abs are sore as shit afterward. Bueno.

I've noticed fat makes me sluggish, so I really don't eat PB anymore, mostly flax, olive oil/olives, avocado, and coconut occasionally. I've gotten a lot more strict with my diet. Absolutely no sugary drinks, nothing fried, even trans fat free, and no non-whole wheat breads.

I will begin lifting again Friday starting with my back day. will give me time to get the rest of my equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm 
Elephant

welcome back!

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks! Got my handles home. They had cutting oil all over them so I used a degreaser on em. They are heavy as hell and I had to carry them home. Tomorrow my 2.5s and 5s get in, and I'll grab my exercise mat then. Then I just need my chains and I am set! Woohoo. I need a weight tree, so I am going to buy one of those too.

Also, great job on your progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

I love seeing that pile of weights!

Awesome!

All the best. Hope all is well.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks man.

Today was my first workout back after a 3 week hiatus. I took some videos but I am ashamed of my current state. I look and lift sickly and weak. I have to admit I am slightly disgusted with myself. Barely mustering 3 sets of 8x7x3 with 15lbs for my pullups almost made me hurl.

No matter, it is what it is. And after seeing my body from a 3rd prospective I am redoubling my efforts.

It's become painfully obvious to me I need an EZ bar, and the collars on my DB handles SUCK. So I am gonna order an Olympic EZ bar w/ collars on Amazon. Deadlifts were nigh impossible with those 21" handles.

Back/Biceps 11:18AM-12:30PM
Weighted Pullups 25lbs x8 Drop 15lbs x7x3 Staying at 15lbs for next week
Dumbbell Deadlifts Fail
One Dumbbell Deadlifts 113lbs 3x10x10x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 83lbs x10x10x10
Weighted Chinup Burnout +10lbs 3x10x8x3 +Negatives
Dumbbell Curls 38lbs 3x10x8x9 +Negatives

What a cluster fuck. Holy shit. I need more food. I feel like I am gonna hurl, my body is a mess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 am 
Gorilla

Today while eating at evolution fast food it became obvious to me what happened when I lifted. 3 weeks off, skipping meals, and the lack of bulking up my glycogen stores caused me to become very depleted during my 1+hr workout. I think my metabolism is very fragile given my lack of intestines and low calorie diets are extremely dangerous for me because they tank my metabolism. I feel like shit. I am so sluggish and tired. It became apparent that I needed carbs, after a big plate of rice and veggies I started to feel better.

I sold two Optima batteries I had laying around so now I can buy an EZ bar and some collars. WHOOPIE!

Evolution Fast Food in San Diego is OK, their fries weren't too spectacular and their milkshakes were meh. Their veggie burgers, however, are delicious. I was stress eating and the fried food made me feel like cow shit. Oops.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 pm 
Gorilla

Ok. Another status update. To me deadlifts are one of the most important lifts ever. And I just could not do them with my dumbbell handles. So I went ahead and bought this trap bar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQ ... 00_details

I can use it for deadlifts, t-bar rows, shrugs, bent over rows, and ohp. Good investment IMO.

Now if I am buying a new bar just for deads, I need more iron to actually train them, so I went ahead and bought two 45lb plates.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FW ... 00_details

I also needed collars for both my handles and the trap bar, cause the other collars suck ass.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BK ... 00_details

I was gonna get bumper plates to save my floor, and security deposit, but they are $$$ so I will just buy some more high impact mats.

I think this brings my total spending on this endeavor up to around $550.00. But I just sold two Optima Batteries I have sitting around for $250.00, and I got a check from my bank for $50.00. So yay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:26 pm 
Gorilla

Today was better than my first day back. I've realized how much a pain in the ass it is to do a split with limited equipment so I've abandoned my split. If not just for 4 months till I get a place with mom, and have access to a bigger space.

My full body looks like this.

A:
Squat 5x5/Calves 4x12
Chest Press 5x5
Chinup 5x5
Biceps Iso 4x12

B:
Deadlift 5x5
Weighted Pullup 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Side Raises 4x12

C:
Squat 5x5/Calves 4x12
Dips 5x5
Flys 4x2
Triceps Iso 4x12

With a workout coming every other day.

I hadn't really explored my old split too much, but this was just necessary.

Today was day A: Chest/Legs/Biceps. I abandoned biceps today as they are still very sore from Friday. They will be trained on my next A day.

I had to get creative with nearly everything. Nothing is simple with limited equipment. For my squats I used part dumbbells, and part backpack weights, for floor presses I had to do one are floor dumbbell bench presses as I could not get the weights into position, and required two hands. I did not go full bore, I do not want another Friday and am instead easing myself into it.

Squats: 166lbs x5x5x5x5 -> 176lbs
Dumbbell Calf Raises 96lbs x15x15x15x15 -> 123lbs
One Arm Floor Presses 2x63lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 2x65.5lbs
Weighted Pushups +50lbs x5x5x5x3x2

I am unsure if I want to split my 5x5 between two chest movements, 2x5 and 3x5. I did not feel much from 1 arm chest presses. We will see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 pm 
Gorilla

1-23-12 Day B 1:18 PM to 2:28 PM Back/Shoulders
Dumbbell Deadlifts 196lbs x5x5x5x5x5 Stay (Weird bio mechanical hiccup, read below)
Weighted Pullups +15lbs x5x5x5x4x4 +5 Negatives ->+2.5lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 86lbs x5x5x5x5x4 -> 91lbs
Dumbbell Lateral Raises 2x13lbs x12x12x12x12 -> 2x15lbs
Dumbbell Shrugs 156lbs x10x10x10x9 ->Stay

Today was absolutely delightful. I once again felt the tension in my lower back and the rush of energy I so crave during heavy workouts. Heart pounding head racing, nothing is better than moving some serious iron. Fuck six pack abs, impressing girls and the masses, I am addicted to the rush of moving iron. My new full body routine is like a new drug. I am hooked. I love this design my friend made for me.

I figured out how to do dumbbell deadlifts but feel I am limited to the amount of weight I can do because of my own personal bio mechanics. The weight being at an odd angle to compensate for how long the handles are throws me forward a wee bit. Tightening my lower back and digging my heels in a bit compensated, but I fear if I went over 200lbs with dumbbells I would risk injury. No worry, I get my trap bar soon and will not be doing these much if any, anymore.

Also, I will begin super setting my last two whoopie exercises once I get my hex bar. I could not do shrugs with lateral raises because I only have my dumbbells.

Oh yeah, my workout ran a bit longer than I wanted cause those collars are a bitch to get on and off. I get my new ones soon.

I will begin toying with cardio post workout, and on my off days, to get my body fat down with the help of my friend. But I am never good at sticking to one set of standards for cardio. I am always afraid I will get weaker, but I need to focus on endurance and keep my body rounded.

What I think I might do is weighted walks or farmers walks on some of my lifting days for 15-30 min, and sprints every couple days on off days.

I NEED the extra calories or I crash, but it makes me less defined. It's a catch .22.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm 
Gorilla

4 mile walk weighed down with 25lbs walking roughly 3.5mph. About 1 hr. I don't really like these. I'd rather sprint.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm 
Gorilla

1-26-12 Workout C: Dynamic Legs/Chest/Triceps/Back 1:06 PM to 1:20 Pm
Lunges 146lbs (96onDBs/50inbackpack) x5x5x5x5x5 ->Stay (Work on form, bad right knee)
Weighted Dips on Suspension Straps +40lbs x5x5x5x5x4 ->45lbs
One Arm Dumbbell Rows 2x103lbs x5x5x5x5x4 ->105.5lbs
Triceps Kickbacks 25.5lbs x12x12x12x11 ->28lbs

These full body workouts are my new drug. I love them so much. They are so much more intense than splits because my entire body sounds the red alert and is like, "STOP IT YOU DICK" I've had to take off calves from A and C, running at 1:15 minutes each to 1:30 minutes is brutal. Anything more and I'd burn out. So I've decided to add calves and abs to my cardio days.

My finaly structure is:
A:
Squats 5x5
Chest 5x5
Chinups 5x5
Bicep ISO 4x12

B:
Deadlifts 5x5
Weighted Pullup 5x5
Shoulders 5x5
Shrugs/Side Raises 4x12

C:
Dynamic Legs 5x5
Weighted Dips 5x5
Rows 5x5
Tricep Iso 5x5

Dyanmic legs means jump squats, lunges etc.

After my first week I realize this routine is intense. I've been monitoring my calorie intake to make sure I am not burning out on my workouts from lack of food. After some instinctively eating I haphazardly calculated my kcals to about 2,750-3,000 day. So my body is naturally increasing it's appetite to compensate for the strain. This is good.

I was going to do more cardio, but two days of sprinting is more than enough. I walk a lot throughout the week seeing as how I do not own a car. I hesitate to add more cardio for fear of destroying myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 pm 
Gorilla

1-28-12: Day A: 12:06 PM to 1:25 PM
Hex Bar Deadlifts 250lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 255lbs
One Arm Dumbbell Chest Presses 2x73lbs x5x5x4 ->Stay
Weighted Pushups +50lbs x5x5 -> +55lbs
Weighted Chinups +20lbs x5x5x5x4x4 -> 22.5lbs
Dumbbell Curls 38lbs x12x11x10x10 -> Stay

Today I tried to do a squat movement with my new hex/trap bar. But the movements are too similar to notice. Guess I'll stick with backpack+DBs for squats. My legs get plenty a workout with sprints, lunges/jump squats, and the hex deadlift. I also split my 5x5 between one arm DB press and weighted pushups. It feels good, my chest really got a good beating. I will soon try chest pressing with my new hex bar, and I am looking into making some kind of stand so I can do double DB chest press.

Tweaked my right wrist a wee bit. Need to make sure when I do pushups I have handles or do em on my knuckles.

I feel the need for an olympic bar holder and weight tree, plus an EZ curl bar, I also need more high impact mats, a belt, and new straps. The last three are most important, and the bar holder+weight tree.

Can't wait to get a place with mom. I have squirreled some more money away for a bench, 6ft bar and other goodies.

(:<

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:30 pm 
Gorilla

1-30-12 Day B: 11:45 AM to 1:00 PM
Stiff Leg Trap Bar Deadlifts 200lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->205lbs
Weighted Pullups +17.5lbs x5x5x5x4x4 -> 20lbs
Trap Bar Shoulder Press 100lbs x5x5x4x5x4 ->105lbs
Trap Bar Shrugs 150lbs x10x10x10x9 ->Stay, Work on Form
Dumbbell Side Raises 2x15.5lbs x12x12x12x12 ->2x18lbs

Oh and yesterday I did 20min of sprints at 15sec sprints, 2 min rest, and a 10 min jog, plus abs.

Today I discovered a remedy to an issue I've had since beginning to use my trap bar. Since trap bar deadlifts target the quads so much more than standard deadlifts I was at a loss as to how to keep my legs from getting over trained, what between sprinting, dynamic legs, and my other two days.

Today I discovered trap bar stiff legged deadlifts reduce the amount of quad work to nearly nothing. This is great, now I have a plan to keep my legs from getting over trained.

I also discovered an ingenious way to get the bar up to starting position for trap bar shoulder presses, essentially resting it on my traps and squatting it up, I am not worried about injuring my back seeing as how I can deadlift up to 250lbs with no belt or discomfort, I am confident in my ability to control the bar up to 150-175. See the video here. And don't laugh at my noises...lol.

Last edited by Cellar Yeti on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Yeti Log AKA Yeti Breaks Crap in His Apartment Weightlif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm 
Gorilla

Haven't updated for a while. Just been lazy I guess.

2-1-12 Day C 12:30PM to 1:45PM
Legs X Too Sore. Need to reevaluate C Day
Dips +30lbs x5x5x5x5x4
Dumbbell Flys 2x48lbs x8x8x8x8 ->Add A LOT more weight
Bent Over Rows 145lbs x5 135lbs x5x5x5x5 -> 140lbs
Kickbacks 2x28lbs x10x10x10x10

Dips on my suspension straps are very difficult. Stabilization is just not easy. My stabilization has gotten A LOT better.

Last edited by Cellar Yeti on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next