Chewy's Strength Log

If comps stop being rewarding or fun in any way then it sounds like you should just go after your goals.

Great stuff Chewy! Your numbers are looking great!

Even though I've never done a comp, +1. At the end of the day, lifting's about you, your goals, and the feeling you get from reaching them. If focusing on getting bigger and stronger is what you want to do, go for it. The comps will be there when you're feeling them and, by that time, you'll have made even bigger gains - pretty win/win.

Also, I am jealous of your ability to say the following:

OHP was easy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/3/1 Cycle 1

Week 1

Bodyweight = 83.6kg

Mon 23rd January 2012

Squat

1x5x95kg

1x5x110kg

1x10x125kg (belt for this set only)

DB Bench

21.3kg DBs, 2x10

23.8kg DBs, 1x10

Kroc Rows (on bench)

31.3kg DB, 3x10 each arm

Dips

3x10

Plank

2m 5s

Grip work with captains of crush, managed a set of 4 each hand with the #1. Then some plate pinches.

Wed 25th January 2012

Bodyweight = 83.4kg

Front Squat

3x5x92.5kg

Bench

1x5x50kg

1x5x57.5kg

1x11x65kg

Pullups (wide grip)

1x10 normal, then 2x10 assisted with red band

OHP

3x10x25kg

Ab roller (knees)

3x15

Then plate pinches and a 1m 10s hang from a pullup bar for grip.

So on the workouts first; Decent numbers on squat/bench/front squat (nice to see on video they're ass to grass!)/pullups (stoked to hit a set of 10 wide grip again!). I was recommended by a friend to try kroc rows to help fix my deadlift lockouts and I have to say the area around my rhomboids was sore for the first time I can remember (usually after upper back work it's just rear delts/traps I feel it in). It's always good to find a weak spot. OHP was very easy (silly weight), but my shoulders were burning a bit just from doing sets of 10.

And the program; So yeah decided to do 5/3/1. Loosely based on the 5/3/1 Full Body training template in the new ebook (squat/push/pull 3x/week) with some extra assistance. I've decided to do push press for the 5/3/1 sets and OHP as assistance, simply because I really want to work on my push press, and don't want to be doing something like 3x10 for assistance (if you do less reps the weight gets heavier....it'll get harder than OHP and would make it a bad choice for assistance, hence the switch). My ultimate aim is to do a few cycles without changing anything. I've lacked the ability to stick to a program recently.

Here's the plan

Mon - 5/3/1 Squats, 3x10 DB Bench, 3x10 Kroc Rows, 3x10 Dips

Wed - 3x5 Front Squat, 5/3/1 Bench, 3x10 Pullups, 3x10 OHP

Fri - 3x5 Lighter Squats, 5/3/1 Push Press, 5/3/1 Deadlift, 3x10 Deads with bands

Ab/grip work optional at end of sessions. The plan with 3x10 deads is to keep the bar weight quite low and utilize band tension to work on the lockout.

ultimate aim is to do a few cycles without changing anything. I've lacked the ability to stick to a program recently.

Here's the plan

Mon - 5/3/1 Squats, 3x10 DB Bench, 3x10 Kroc Rows, 3x10 Dips

Wed - 3x5 Front Squat, 5/3/1 Bench, 3x10 Pullups, 3x10 OHP

Fri - 3x5 Lighter Squats, 5/3/1 Push Press, 5/3/1 Deadlift, 3x10 Deads with bands

Ab/grip work optional at end of sessions. The plan with 3x10 deads is to keep the bar weight quite low and utilize band tension to work on the lockout.

Numbers looking strong, as per usual; always an inspiration. Front squats have some serious depth to them, mate, way to go.

I'm definitely going to be interested in watching how you progress on 5/3/1 - I know quite a lot of people have found it easier to stick with if they get finnicky with sticking with a program (I'm the same way; I barely made it through my first run of StrongLifts without attempting to switch to something else). Your logic for switching OHP and push press is solid as well, definitely something I'll keep in mind when I start 5/3/1 later this year.

Randomly I ve started 5 3 1. Found the first Edition online but bought 2nd. Tried the Tate assistance this week. I have dropped straps on every lift now as I been invited to train with

lawrence sharlei so that's gonna be a huge eye opener.

Your looking great btw buddy, front squats were ass to the floor haha I'll have to catch up on your blog.

Have been engrossed in Rippetoes books since Christmas

What do you think of the templates in 531 for assistance work? Makes so much sense when you read the thiking behind the templates he's written
I like the idea of them but I have certain areas I want to work on, and I'm under the mindset the more you work on a certain exercise the better you'll get at it (in moderation). Times I do pullups, front squats, grip, dips (etc) more consistently, I get better at them. There's always something missing from the templates that I want to get better at. I've took a lot of elements from the full body template. I have a good feeling about the way I've laid out the assistance this time and plan to stick to it for a bit, hope it works.

You should have a holiday down here & come along I'm in Scotland in March.
Sound man, what you up for and where you gonna be? I may have asked this before but where abouts you from?

What do you think of the templates in 531 for assistance work? Makes so much sense when you read the thiking behind the templates he's written
I like the idea of them but I have certain areas I want to work on, and I'm under the mindset the more you work on a certain exercise the better you'll get at it (in moderation). Times I do pullups, front squats, grip, dips (etc) more consistently, I get better at them. There's always something missing from the templates that I want to get better at. I've took a lot of elements from the full body template. I have a good feeling about the way I've laid out the assistance this time and plan to stick to it for a bit, hope it works.

You should have a holiday down here & come along I'm in Scotland in March.
Sound man, what you up for and where you gonna be? I may have asked this before but where abouts you from?

I'm up for my birthday. Doing the usual Edinburgh visit most do haha but I have never been ( was meant to last year but ended up moving)

I live Not that far from Birmingham, 40 mins on a train, Half hr in a car so It'll be two trains to get there. Mayabe 4 halfish hours from b'ham so nothing major

I tried the Dave Tate assistance this week but I went progressively heavier with each set on each assistance & It really took it out of me. Prob should't of done it that way so today I went with Wendlers upper body template which seemed to work better for me.

Sounds like you have it all set out. Sounds great & Hope you make the gains you want...I'm using that excel spreadsheet along side it. Such a time saver

I'm up for my birthday. Doing the usual Edinburgh visit most do haha but I have never been ( was meant to last year but ended up moving)

I live Not that far from Birmingham, 40 mins on a train, Half hr in a car so It'll be two trains to get there. Mayabe 4 halfish hours from b'ham so nothing major

Cool I'm west coast so I don't know Edinburgh that well but we'll be able to organise something. There's potentially a Manchester meetup coming up on the veganfitness.net forums so that could be an option too.

Thanks Mary and viva!

Looking solid on those front squats man! I see you're back to 5/3/1. If I recall correctly you were off it for awhile. I haven't seen the new version; I'll have to check it out. Let me know how it works for you.
It's a new version of the ebook, the programs exactly the same. The ebook's basically updated with some new assistance templates and extras.

Fri 27th January 2012

Squats

1x5x60kg

1x5x72.5kg

1x5x87.5kg

(just a light day, paused some of the reps at the bottom)

Push Press

1x5x40kg

1x5x47.5kg

1x10x52.5kg

Deadlift

1x5x127.5kg (no belt, hook grip)

1x5x147.5kg (no belt, hook grip)

1x10x165kg (belt, over under)

hook grip+belt for these sets;

1x10x70kg +red super mini bands

1x10x90kg +red super mini bands

1x10x100kg +red super mini bands

We basically had the bands setup like this

just that we only have round DB's so put a 25kg plate inside each one to stop it rolling. Seemed pretty solid so done 2 sets with it, and decided it just wasn't enough tension (wanting to work on the top end more - wanted it light at the bottom, hard at top). So we put a blue small band in addition to the reds round the DBs. Already we could see the bands start to move the plates in a bit - as soon as i done the first rep the tension just pulled the DBs/plates in. So just had to put on more bar weight, didn't have time to play about with it.

When I was at Strength Shop a bit back, I much preferred the setup there;

1 block, extreme band tension. Will try this next week.

Anyway, no problems with anything really. Hook grip is sore but didn't fail. Didn't want it fucking up my main set though. 10 reps ain't too shabby at 165kg.

How were the legs after the strength shop training haha? Deads were great man inspirational
Was a while ago, can barely remember anything apart from the actual session haha.

Week 2

Mon 30th January 2012

Bodyweight = 84.1kg

Squat

1x3x102.5kg

1x3x117.5kg

1x8x132.5kg (belt for this set)

DB Bench

3x10x22.5kg DBs

Kroc Rows

1x10x30kg DB (each side)

2x10x32.5kg DB (each side)

Dips

11, 11, 10

Weighted Plank

3x30s +25kg

Plate pinches with 15kg plates for grip

Enjoyable workout and nice squatting.

Cheers guys

Wed 1st February 2012

Bodyweight = 84.6kg

Front squat (no belt)

3x5x95kg

Bench

1x3x52.5kg

1x3x60kg

1x11x70kg

Pullups

10 normal

2x10 assisted with red super mini band

OHP

3x10x27.5kg

Cable crunches

2x10x30kg

1x25x20kg

Some grip work with Captains of Crush, closed #1 for 2 reps in left hand, 3 reps in right. Left forearm was a bit sore going into this workout.

Real happy with front squats, and bench - definitely a rep max for it. Can get a much better arch on my bench at home.

To be honest, it isn't really that different from what I'm doing, just rearranged a bit! Basics are the same with more deads/bench/press/squatting for assistance with some extra exercises, majority of assistance is sets of 10. I have to say, I like 3x/week and repping the last of the 5/3/1 sets. I favour the strength over the hypertrophy.

Ye I hear you, this weeks a deload for me & I've been testing my assistance for the programmed assistance template from 2nd edition. Gym has a hammer strength grip frame so I may start using it. Been implementing chins between pressing moves this week to

I really undershot my lifts when I programed the excel sheet eg 1x100kg on bench ect just so I can hopefully keep the gains slowly ticking along. I like the idea of the full body templates for x3 sessions a week. Will have to resurrect my log on here haha

Hope it goes well for you mate all the best

I really undershot my lifts when I programed the excel sheet
That's the point. You're supposed to use 90% of your 1RM as your training max. And you only go to 95% of the training max. So first cycle you only go to about 85.5% of your true 1RM for 1 set. You can get plenty of reps in on the last set of each day though, plenty of work.

Fri 3rd February 2012

Squats

1x5x57.5kg

1x5x72.5kg

1x5x87.5kg

Paused at the bottom of the first/last rep of each set

Push Press (the first 2 sets here were supposed to be triples, completely forgot -_-, not a big deal)

1x5x45kg

1x5x72.5kg

1x9x57.5kg

Deadlift

1x3x137.5kg (no belt, hook grip)

1x3x155kg (no belt, hook grip)

1x9x175kg (belt, over under)

Deadlift off 1 block

3x10x100kg +tripled purple mini bands

Back's been a bit sore since my top set of deadlifts. Own fault, I could've left 1 or 2 in the tank but decided to kill myself. Wasn't really setting the reps up right and was just heaving it. I'll get a bath, and no workout sat/sun anyway so I'll be fine. Don't care how many reps I get next week, just want to be in a good position.

Yesterday for the first time I actually used my training logs, I made several discoveries which are going to help my training get back on track. There's a few bits and pieces I need to go through but I'll be making a post about it later.