Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bryan's Winter Workout Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 pm 
Rabbit

Winter in Chicago is super brutal. Trying to start the year off right by keeping active mostly indoors and getting outside when I can bear it. Luckily, it's been a milder winter so far so I've been able to get out and run here and there.

So far in January, I've done the following:

Jan 1st: 2 mile run
Jan 2nd: Strength (indoors): 100 Pushups, 100 Sit-ups (4 sets of 25 reps), 50 curls (15 lbs., 2 sets of 20 reps).
and Today: Jan 3rd: 1.5 mile run

Considering I've been trying to shake off this awful cold/cough/sore throat for the past few days, getting outside in the cold is even less appealing. But, I am looking to do a few longer races this summer and the training starts now.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
― Albert Einstein

Post subject: Bryan's Winter Workout Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 pm 
Rabbit

I should mention that I start every morning with a smoothie. Today's consisted of:

1 banana
1 kiwi
4 dates
2 oranges
Small bunch of kale
Handful of frozen raspberries
Tablespoon of chia seeds
Tablespoon of hemp protein
Tablespoon of Vega Sport Performance Protein
Splash of apple juice
Water + Ice

Super tasty way to start the day. My girlfriend and I have been making smoothies with Vega every morning for the last 5-6 months. I can honestly say that the smoothie gives me more energy than anything I used to drink (coffee, tea, etc.) and I feel a lot better throughout the day as a result.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
― Albert Einstein

Post subject: Re: Bryan's Winter Workout Log
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm 
Rabbit

Today I repeated the strength exercise from Monday morning:

100 Pushups, 100 Sit-ups (4 sets of 25 reps), 50 curls (15 lbs., 2 sets of 20 reps).

Afterwards, I had a nice smoothie, a bagel, and a banana.

I'm really looking to just get myself into "training" shape as the year begins. Starting light, eventually building up to longer workouts as the weather gets warmer. I also found out that my new job has an amazing workout facility on site so I'll definitely be looking to take advantage of that. Now if I could only find an affordable place to swim during the winter...

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 pm 
Rabbit

Didn't work out on Thursday but I repeated my strength exercise from Mon/Wed. this AM and went on a gorgeous 2 mi. run when I got home from work. Unseasonably warm in Chicago for January (almost 52!).

Really glad I'm feeling better and might go for a longer run tomorrow morning.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 am 
Rabbit

Woke up ready for the mild weather and ready to get a little longer run in. I didn't want to go too much more than the 2 miles I've been doing for the last few weeks but I was ready to do some exploratory running in our new neighborhood (just moved into our new place in Nov).

Went out in my new NMA shirt that I got for Xmas:

I took the dog for a quick warm-up and then went out for a nice 3.7 mi. run around our neighborhood. We're surrounded by a forest preserve and a nature sanctuary on either side of our neighborhood. I've been super excited to check out some of the trails and today was perfect for just that:

All in all, it was a great day. I made my schedule of races/events I want to do this summer and I couldn't be more excited to start training!

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 am 
Gorilla

Hey Bryan!

Awesome journal! Thanks for sharing your pictures! Loving the NMA shirt, too!

Glad you're feeling better and able to get outside some. It's been unseasonably warm here in Colorado, too. You know, that whole global warming thing... :)

Keep up the great work!

All the best,
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 pm 
Rabbit

kareno wrote:
Hey Bryan!

Awesome journal! Thanks for sharing your pictures! Loving the NMA shirt, too!

Glad you're feeling better and able to get outside some. It's been unseasonably warm here in Colorado, too. You know, that whole global warming thing... :)

Keep up the great work!

All the best,
Karen

Thanks Karen! I'm the kind of person who actually enjoys a cold snowy winter so this weather, while welcome, is a little unnerving! My girlfriend and I actually took a road trip out to the west coast a little while ago and spent some time in Colorado (Boulder to be specific). We loved it! It's easily one of the coolest places I've ever visited.

Thanks again for the kind words, I hope you have a great week ahead!

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:12 pm 
Rabbit

I was able to get outside again today and logged another 2.6 miles. I'm really feeling good about getting into "race" shape as the summer approaches. I'll get around to posting the events I want to participate in one of these days.

After my run I had some Vega Performance Protein (1 scoop), a banana, and some oatmeal.

I'm hoping to continue to run this week even as the weather dips back into normal Midwestern January conditions.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 pm 
Rabbit

Monday consisted of the same push-ups/sit-ups/curls workouts from last week.

This morning, I was able to get up at 5:30 and get outside for another 2.6 miles. Followed by some Vega Performance Protein and a bagel with some Nutritional Yeast. I brought a smoothie to work with kale, blueberries, kiwi, oranges, Vega WFHO, and some hemp oil.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday I did my same indoor routine (push-ups/sit-ups/curls) and had an awesome Kale, Pineapple, Kiwi, Banana smoothie with some WFHO, Hemp Protein, Chia Seeds, and some Apple Juice.

Then, last night my band played until late so I gave myself a rest day today. Coincidentally, it also snowed about 6 inches here in Chicago. So, that means more indoor workouts. I'm going to research some weight training for endurance events and put together a gym plan for next week. Details to follow!

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm 
Rabbit

Catch-Up Post!

Friday:
100 Push-Ups (4x25)
100 Sit-Ups (4x25)
75 Body Weight Squats (3x25)
40 Dumbell Curls (2x20)

Saturday/Sunday: Light 1.5 mile runs with the dog.

This week I'm going to hit the gym for the first time in forever. I'm going to work on building up some muscle in my arms and legs as I get ready for a busy race season.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 pm 
Rabbit

Ran AFTER work today because I woke up late (oops!) and was able to get in a 2 mile run even with the sloshy snow everywhere.

This summer, I plan to do the following races:

May:
May Madness Spring Triathlon - Effingham, IL

June:
Scheels Cliff High Half Ironman - Sherwood, WI
Twin Lakes Triathlon - Palatine, IL

August:
Chicago Triathlon - Chicago, IL

September:
Tough Mudder Wisconsin

I'm very, VERY excited about this. Throw in 5 weddings and a new vegan blog, and I'm going to be very busy (in a good way) this year.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 pm 
Rabbit

Hit the gym this morning for the first time in forever. I followed a light workout suggested by Mark Allen (six-time winner of the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii) that he suggests for triathletes, and the best gym exercises for the 3 sports. I felt like I could do a lot more, so I may switch gears here in a week or so, but I'm going to start light. No injuries!

I did 1 set of 15 reps on each of these. Weights are listed:

Lat Pull-Downs (30)
Leg Extensions (50)
Leg Curls (50)
Bench Press (50)
Squats (50)
Lat Dumbell Raise (10)
Calf Raise (60)
Dumbbell Pullover (15)
Backward Lunges (45)
Bicep Curls (30)
Tricep Extensions (15)
Leg Press (60)
Then 100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

It felt great to get back in the gym. Can't wait to get back after it.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:30 am 
Rabbit

Took Wednesday off as it's now consistently under 15 degrees when the sun is down. I can't believe I was outside running in shorts just a few days ago.

Anyway, this morning I went back into the gym and repeated the same workout from Tuesday:

Lat Pull-Downs (30)
Leg Extensions (50)
Leg Curls (50)
Bench Press (50)
Squats (50)
Lat Dumbell Raise (10)
Calf Raise (60)
Dumbbell Pullover (15)
Backward Lunges (45)
Bicep Curls (30)
Tricep Extensions (15)
Leg Press (60)
Then 100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

I also added some lunges (2x12) with 15 lb. weights in each hand.

― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 am 
Rabbit

WOW! Dire need of a re-cap:

I didn't get to exercise save for walking the dog on Sat/Sun, super busy. Need to find a way to work out on super busy days but that's neither here nor there.

Monday:
Treadmill Run - 2.67 mi. in 33 min.
I've been working on my form. I am a major heel-striker so I've been trying to land more on my forefoot. It definitely feels better but parts of my legs are sore that haven't been before.

Tuesday (2 sets of 12/15 reps. Weights are in parentheses):
Lat Pull-Downs (30)
Leg Extensions (50)
Leg Curls (50)
Bench Press (50)
Squats (50)
Lat Dumbell Raise (10)
Calf Raise (60)
Dumbbell Pullover (15)
Backward Lunges (45)
Bicep Curls (30)
Tricep Extensions (15)
Leg Press (60)
Lunges (20)
100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

Wednesday:
Another treadmill run. Goal of running with better form at a sub 10 minute pace for 30 minutes. I logged 2.98 mi. in 33 1/2 min.

Thursday:
Took today off as my girlfriend and I prepare for our first (of hopefully many) monthly vegan dinners that we prepare for our friends. The majority of them are not vegan so we figure this is a great way to enjoy each others company as well as sharing great vegan food.

Goal moving forward: try to update this every day. It doesn't take much!

― Albert Einstein