Exercise

None

Food

Breakfast: bowl of Weetabix minis, tea

Lunch: lots of food at a Turkish restaurant

Snack: tea and cake

Dinner: tofu/noodle soup

Notes

Went out for lunch with a group of friends, partly to celebrate my partner's birthday. We made cake for the occasion, so I lots of food.

Week Summary, 15-21 January 2012

Exercise

Exercise was OK. I didn't cycle much at all, but did other forms of exercise most days. The major unplanned miss was not lifting weights yesterday (Saturday).

Food

Eating was pretty much terrible. I didn't do any cooking so did a lot of eating out for lunch. In addition, it was my partner's birthday on Thursday, so we went out and ate a whole lot on both Thurs and Sat.

Upcoming week

Definitely need to stick to my exercise better. I don't have any plans that will interfere with that, except that I have to lead rec league practice on Monday evening so can't lift weights. I need to be much, much better about food. I do have a few dishes planned and have the groceries needed to make it, so I hope it will go better.

Monday 23 Jan 2012

Exercise

None--had to coach rec league session

Food

Breakfast: my usual smoothie

Lunch: lentil stew from veg cafe

Snack: tea and Nakd mint chic bar

Dinner: broccoli & chickpea, veggie dog, cupcake

Notes

Weighed myself this morning. On the low side of 70kg. I'm amazed I didn't gain weight after all the eating I did thus past week.

Food was going ok today then just as I was eating my homemade broccoli chickpea dish my partner turned up with a veggie dog and cupcake for me.

I should have lifted weights but I was on the rota to lead a rec league session. It's their all scrimmage session so I did off skates bench coaching and didn't do any skating myself.

Tuesday 24 Jan 2012

Exercise

Cycled home to work to practice to home (13mi)

2 hour derby practice

Food

Snack: tea and half a Nakd cocoa mint bar

Lunch: dumplings, veggie burger, potato wedges

Snack: tea and other half of the Nakd cocoa mint bar

Dinner: roasted chickpea/broccoli/garlic

Post-practice: mini weetabix with soya milk and protein powder (that was an experiment--not sure I'll do it again)

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Exercise

Cycled to work and back

Food

Snack: tea and half a Nakd cocoa mint bar

Lunch: hummus, pita, cuke, red pepper; a few chips (fries)

Snack: tea and the other half of the Nakd cocoa mint bar

Dinner: big salad, a pasta dish I threw together

Notes

I was thinking of doing some other exercise once I got home, but my legs were so tired when cycling, both this morning and this evening, that I decided to leave it at that. I think they are a bit tired out from yesterday.

We've heard that we are going to start our crosstraining session on 6 Feb. I can't wait! It's with people called Dynamic Sports Academy and we get 2-hour sessions working on weight training and strength/quickness/agility training. I think we'll also do some mental stuff. I'm really looking forward to it.

Friday 27 Jan 2012

Exercise

None

Food

Breakfast: Usual smoothie

Snack: latte

Lunch: teriyaki tofu with bak choi and soba

Snack: hot soya almond drink

Dinner: spring rolls, ma po tofu (takeaway), brownie

Notes

We had some friends over last night and we all ordered takeaway together. I also worked at home so didn't cycle. It doesn't matter too much as Friday is supposed to be my rest day, but I didn't do any exercise on Monday due to leading rec league, so was hoping to squeeze in some exercise today.

Saturday 28 Jan 2012

Exercise

Lifted weights (all weights in pounds):

Cleans: 74x5, 79x5, 84x5

Overhead Press: 69 x3/3/3

Deadlift: 158 x6

Food

Breakfast: tea, brownie, mini weetabix

Snack: kettle corn

Lunch: noodle salad (romaine, cold soba, carrot, cuke, red onion, peanutty dressing)

Dinner: vegan Chinese

Notes

My partner had to work today but I wanted to make sure to lift weights anyway. As I was on my own, I did things that I didn't need a spotter for. I was pretty happy with the cleans--they felt smooth and easy. Not so happy with the overhead press. I feel like that amount of weight shouldn't be so hard.

Week Summary, 22-28 January 2012

Exercise

Exercise wasn't too bad. I cycled a couple of days. The misses were not lifting weights on Monday due to rec league and not doing plyo on Wednesday.

Food

Eating was still not good, but not quite as bad as last week.

Upcoming week

As far as I can see, I don't have any reason to miss any of my exercise this week. I think my eating will be better this coming week as my partner is also trying to eat better so won't be suggesting we go out to eat as much. My partner has never had to worry about weight as she's been incredibly steady around 50kg/110lbs for the 10 years I've known her, no matter what she eats. But she wants to eat more healthily.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have a team gathering on Wed, which means that I won't have chance to exercise that day.

Monday 30 Jan 2012

Exercise

Lifted weights (all weights in pounds):

Front squats: 104 x5/5/5

Bench press: 89 x4/4/4

Bent over row: 99 x4/4/4

SLDL: 99x12

Plank

Speed skater stance

Food

Breakfast: usual smoothie

Snack: coffee, Lazy Day ginger slice

Lunch: big salad (romaine, carrot, cuke, red onion, balsamic), Amy's Daiya mac n cheese

Post-weights: small protein shake

Dinner: smokey split pea soup, quinoa

Tuesday 31 Jan 2012

Exercise

Cycled to work to practice to home (13mi)

Food

Snack: tea, half a Nakd cocoa mint bar

Lunch: (from health food store food bar) chickpea/veg casserole with brown rice, mint choc chip 'cheesecake'

Snack: Viana Picknicker (snack sausage-y thing)

Dinner: smokey split pea soup with quinoa

Post-practice: chips and hummus

Notes

I went to practice but watched rather than skating. I'm going to be on the travel team selection committee this weekend. I usually am not, as it's primarily coaches who do it, but as a team captain I am filling in for a coach. So I spent the practice watching others skate and thinking about the upcoming selection.

I need to cut down on the crap like the 'cheesecake' and chips.

Wednesday 1 Feb 2012

Exercise

None

Food

Snack: coffee, half a Nakd cocoa mint bar

Lunch: pakora, cabbage dish, veg curry, rice

Snack: tea, half a Nakd cocoa mint bar

Dinner: smokey split pea soup, lots of snacking

Notes

I have a team get-together right after work today somewhere across London, so no chance to do plyo or other exercise today. Everyone brought a bunch of snacky things like hummus, dips, bread, chips, Indian starters, salads, etc., and I ate a bunch of them! My teammates are so nice--they always make sure to get some vegan stuff and let me know what is and isn't vegan.

I've got two bouts this weekend--a public one with my league team against a Welsh league on Saturday, and a closed-door one with the A team against another league on Sunday. I'm a bit nervous about the first one (I'm captain) and excited about the second.

Thursday 2 Feb 2012

Exercise

None, again

Food

Breakfast: mini choc chip weetabix

Snack: coffee, ginger choc slice

Lunch: sausage rolls, lentil/veg soup

Dinner: spaghetti 'bolognese'

Notes

I didn't make it to practice because I had lots of work to get done. Practice would take me out of the house from 6:30-11pm and I needed at least some of that time for working. I'm not happy about it, especially because I have the bouts coming up this weekend and would like to do some skating in the run up. Oh well.

Friday 3 Feb 2012

Exercise

None!

Food

Snack: flat white, half cocoa mint Nakd bar

Lunch: satay tofu/veg

Snack: tea, whole cocoa mint Nakd bar

Dinner: leftover spag bol, little bit lentil/veg soup

Notes

Today sucks! Got lots of work to get done and also had to spend a fair amount of time doing derby stuff for the bout tomorrow. It's 7pm the night before a bout (for which I am captain) and I'm still at work, missing a group dinner I was supposed to go to, with no end in sight. I feel like I'm not going to be able to give the proper thought and preparation to my captaining tomorrow.

I'd put off my work to the weekend, but it's going to be a busy one. The bout tomorrow will take up from around noon to close to midnight (we have to do set up, run the thing, and shut down so it's a full day). Then on Sunday I have to be on the other side of London for an 11am team selection meeting then go straight to a closed door bout in the afternoon and get home around 8:30pm. Will probably have to do some work Sunday night anyway as I know I can't get it all done now.

I feel very distracted and not in a good frame of mind for a pre-bout night.

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

Hey there! Great job with your journaling during the month of January! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

All the best,

Karen

It's been a busy weekend, so I'm not going to post my exercise and food details for it.

Had a public bout yesterday, my league team (of which I'm captain) versus a team from Cardiff. It was a tough game, but we won, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Today we had a closed door bout, our A travel team versus a league from the Midlands. It was pretty much expected we'd win, and we did, by loads. But it was fun and a good chance to work on teamwork.

Tired now and I have to do some work!

Monday 6 Feb 2012

Exercise

About 1.5 hrs agility and strength training

Food

Breakfast: beans, toast, LM sausage

Lunch: Indian buffet stuff

Snack: tea, cocoa mint Nakd bar

Dinner: mostly bread and hummus

Post-exercise: protein shake

Notes

We (a group of rollergirls) went to our first session with Dynamic Sports Academy. It was an intro session so a little easier than it will be in the future I'm sure. It was 2 hours long, and we rotated through 3 different sesssions: 1/2hr eye/vision training, 1/2hr speed, agility, and quickness training, and 1hr strength training. The strength really focused on legs and core, as that's what's most important for us. We did lots of squats (no weight--most people in the group don't lift) and some lunges and hamstring stuff and some abs. It was good. I'm excited about adding the weights as I don't have access to a squat rack and do only front squats at home. They have 3 squat racks.

We had about 30 people there, and we had the place just to our group. The coaches were great. It's a really amazing deal we got with them, and I'm excited to see how it progresses.

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

Hello my friend!

How are things?

I also had Indian food today, probably my favorite of all foods. Indian and Thai are tied for my top picks.

Hope all is awesome. Hope to hangout again in the future as our travels cause us to cross paths. I'm on the road right now and continue to meet up with more and more forum members. It's really fun. You have some of the best laughs and smiles though!

All the best. Have fun!

Robert

Tuesday 7 Feb 2012

Exercise

a bit of skating

Food

Snack: coffee, bread and hummus

Lunch: food from health food store hot bar

Snack: veggie snack sausage thing

Dinner: Amy's daiya mac n cheese

Snack (post practice): small amount of mini choc chip weetabix

Notes

It was a frustrating practice. I had a meeting before it, but due to unforeseen complication we decided we couldn't do what we were there to do. I was a bit late, but went to skate. After half an hour, we were all called together again and spent the next hour talking about whether or not we could do it (we ended on no). So I missed most of the practice.

Wed 8 Feb 2012

Exercise

Plyo routine I put together myself

Food

Breakfast: smoothie

Snack: flat white (coffee)

Lunch: food from health food store hot bar

Dinner: spaghetti "bolognese"

Notes

I've been a wuss and haven't been cycling as it's been quite cold, and occasionally snowing, here in London. I hope it warms up soon or I'm just going to have to suck it up and cycle anyway.