Problems putting on weight (from a lifelong vegan athlete)

Hi everyone - first post here so hopefully someone might be able to give me some much needed advice

I'm a lifelong vegan and have played roller and ice hockey for nearly 15 years. I've played roller hockey to an international level so take it very seriously, playing 4 or 5 times a week on average. I've never been very big (I'm 5ft 10 and 132 lbs) and no matter what off-ice training I do, I always seem to stay the same weight. I used to do weight training at my local gym and recently completed the 'Insanity workout regime' which involved mostly circuit-based training without weights. However, I noticed very little result-wise except some minor toning. The insanity workout seemed to help with my cardio more than weight gaining (and I already do lots of cardio).

I desperately need to put on some more muscle weight asap due to the physicality of hockey (I can struggle when I'm up against 7ft Canadians) so if anyone can suggest a suitable workout regime I can try, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to end up looking like Charles Atlas but I could really use some upper body weight for my hockey.

Thanks

Hi everyone - first post here so hopefully someone might be able to give me some much needed advice

I'm a lifelong vegan and have played roller and ice hockey for nearly 15 years. I've played roller hockey to an international level so take it very seriously, playing 4 or 5 times a week on average. I've never been very big (I'm 5ft 10 and 132 lbs) and no matter what off-ice training I do, I always seem to stay the same weight. I used to do weight training at my local gym and recently completed the 'Insanity workout regime' which involved mostly circuit-based training without weights. However, I noticed very little result-wise except some minor toning. The insanity workout seemed to help with my cardio more than weight gaining (and I already do lots of cardio).

I desperately need to put on some more muscle weight asap due to the physicality of hockey (I can struggle when I'm up against 7ft Canadians) so if anyone can suggest a suitable workout regime I can try, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to end up looking like Charles Atlas but I could really use some upper body weight for my hockey.

Thanks

You have already answered your own question. You do a lot of cardio, cut down. If you can't eat eat eat eat eat

Less cardio, more lifting, more eating. How much time do you spend with moderate to heavy weights? How much do you eat on a daily basis? What's the composition of your diet?

Looks like this won't be too tough to figure out, as we all seem to be on the same track here for thinking that the lack of gains are from lots of cardio, not enough "regular" lifting (circuit training is great for keeping the heart rate up and building endurance, but not as beneficial to adding mass), and the likelihood that you'll need more food.

Best thing you can do is start a diet and training log here, update it daily for a few weeks, and there should be no problem seeing exactly what needs to be tweaked to help get things on the right path!

Nothing is going to make you into Charles Atlas except a devotion to living and breathing bodybuilding 24/7 (and for most, the "assistance" from banned substances), so not sure if there's been some reservation about training heavy because of notions that people gain mass easily, or, if that was just a bit of a joke. Just need to check on that one, we've had some people here that actually think that by hitting the weights a few times per week and eating more, they're going to have 22" biceps and will no longer be able to walk through a doorway without having to turn sideways. Nothing in the game of adding mass happens fast, and chances are, once you get a taste of what you're after, you'll be wishing that it came on MUCH faster than the true rate of progress most people experience

Bruce - a couple of months back I was using a gym for weights a few times a week. Until recently my only off-ice training was the 'insanity workout' which involved circuit training 6 days a week but not many weight-based workouts at all. However, my previous training involving weights probably hasn't been ideal for my needs and almost certainly involved too many reps for my exercises. Presumably if I want to put on some weight I should be looking at a workout routine more geared towards few reps but near my one-rep max? My diet is probably too carbohydrate based (particularly with too much wheat) so I am trying to change this. I have been on the Nutri-sport pea protein shakes for extra protein.

VeganEssentials - thanks for the advice. I will start a diet and training log on Monday then and hopefully it'll get me on the right track. I was joking about looking like Charles Atlas - if I can just put on some noticeable upper body weight I'll be happy!

Protein & cars are gonna be what aids the size/strength gain my good man! & ur correct in that doing 3-5 sets with 10-20 reps won't build proper mass. Don't skimp on carbs if you wish to get big!

I says this time & time again.....based the workout around military pressing, flat barbell bench, squats & dead lifts. These are the lifts which will aid in strength/mass gain. Don't piss about with side raises & cable flys, get the barbell moving.

Depending on your training time a 4,3,2 & even 1 day template can be used. Hit a big compound, 2 maybe 3 assistance moves with 3 sets 10-15 reps & your done. Far to many people think they have to do something for everything. These people usually sit on isolation machines.

All the best amigo