Tofu ?

kckas

I've been on a tofu kick for the past few weeks. I eat a bock of extra firm tofu a day and I love it because it fills me up so well. I'm sure it's all the protein in it, one block has 60 grams of protein in it. So ideally I'd like to continue eating tofu but my meat loving bodybuilding brother in law told me to stay away from soy. Is tofu really that bad? Should I be limiting it? If so is there something else that can fill me up so well? Beans don't give me that nice content feeling when I'm done eating them, same with quinoa. So I'm a bit at a loss on what else I can eat that's high in protein and good for me. I'm gluten free and I try to limit my processed food intake. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Soy is often called goitrogenic because it contains compounds which interfere with iodine uptake and thus interfere with thyroid activity. Cabbage, peanuts and strawberries have similar effects, but soy is probably the worst. The best preventative method would be to ensure you have sufficient selenium and iodine levels. Brazil nuts are very high in Selenium, iodine can be found in good levels in turnip greens (ironic?) and iodized salt.

Also the process of making tofu and most soy products means the end product contains relatively high levels of aluminum. If you are eating a lot of it this should be a major concern. I recommend anyone consuming large amounts of any soy products to regularly detox with fresh beet juice.

Yeah, from the alkaline/acid wash in Aluminum barrels. The main concern I hear is the gender changing properties which would be caused by thyroid interference. I've heard fermented soy (miso) does not have this effect, do your own research on that though and don't quote me!

Yeah, from the alkaline/acid wash in Aluminum barrels. The main concern I hear is the gender changing properties which would be caused by thyroid interference. I've heard fermented soy (miso) does not have this effect, do your own research on that though and don't quote me!

Soy can't change someone's gender.

Gender is decided by hormones, the thyroid manages hormones. An impaired thyroid gland will cause hormone imbalances, which will change sexual characteristics. Low testosterone, gynecomastia, low sperm count in men. I used that particular wording because that is how it is commonly referred to by concerned men, I don't see what is so confusing.

Don't you dare come back at me with "gender is personal choice".

I did, but you literally cannot change your gender by eating anything. Gender is the mind, sex is the body. I'm not trying to be a dick and I know what you're trying to say, I just think you're using the wrong wording.

Sociologically, yes. Biologically, no. "Gender" has been used for a long time as essentially a synonym for biological sex. It's common usage, and it's included in dictionaries.

"Gender" as a cultural construct distinct from "sex" is an equally valid usage, but not the only one. You need to interpret it contextually.

The soy I buy is great because there is so much protein (60g) vs. carbs (5g). That's why I love it so much. As far as I know nothing else has that kind of ratio as far as whole foods go. I tried tempeh once, it tasted ok but I can't get past the mold.

• 3 weeks later...

Soy, like ANYthing else in the world, is bad for you if it is making up too much of your diet. Drinking soymilk for breakfast, eating tofu for lunch and dinner and fake meats and soy cheese and soy this and that is going to be bad for you but if you ate apples as 80% of your diet it would cause problems too. It is all about moderation. Chinese people have eaten soy for years (and no not just fermented like all the articles want to say) i have lived in China for 16 years and they drink soymilk, eat soybeans,soy sauce and tofu. and have way less soy related problems than Americans so it is just when you try to subsitute EVERYthing for soy that you will have problems.