Week 2 Journal {LMNGETFIT}

Tuesday:late start at work since I'm on call..... Love this type of day!

Got kiddos off to school and then a few things done around the house

Workout:

Elliptical 30 mins level 5 nice sweat while I watched more of Fat Sick & Nearly Dead..... Intrigued and almost finished! (Karen, I'll share my thoughts soon!). This documentary weighs heavy on my mind as I head to work...... Today's population is SO unhealthy!

Nutrition..... My bag is packed! I'm trying to add more protein (~70g/day) so I made yet another recipe from my fav cookbook! Eggless Salad and it's undescrible with words how good it is.....Karen, you'll be glad you got your OWN book! This recipe uses tofu so it's chocked full of protein. I've got my fruit, Lima beans w/ leftover pasta/mushrooms, and celery sticks w/PB! I've also got an emergency frozen black bean enchilada dinner in case in a real late night!

Talked to a few more friends who are willing to commit to relay! Will need to take my running back outdoors soon and be consistent about my stretching!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Hump Day:

Tired from work-rough call shift & functioning off of 4 hours of sleep today! I really need and LOVE my sleep!

Today's focus -good nutrition

Not sure if I'll get a workout in......would rather have early bedtime to let body rest and tacke the world tomorrow!

Did have yearly Gyn checkup today and had a interesting conversation with the Nurse Practioner all b/c she noticed my current reading material..... "Vegan for Life". I took the opportunity to share with her just how awesome I feel and what a positive impact nutrition has made on my health AND life! She was curious and took notes about the resources I offered such as The China Study, Forks over Knives, Engine 2Diet, Dr Caldwell Esselstyns book, & Happy Herbivore blog/cookbooks ( I had to abbreviate my list!). Funny thing is her hubby is a firefighter!! She admitted to being a fast food junkie b/c he worked and it was only her at meal time! This office also is oncology/Gyn so she definitely agreed that nutrition plays a KEY role in fighting/preventing cancer! Again, great discussion with another professional and she said she felt like she'd just been to a continuing Ed lecture!!! What a huge compliment!!!

I love getting to share what I've learned about vegan nutrition....... Still thinking, at the back of my mind, how exactly to put it all to use in helping others......

Thanks Karen-I try To share daily with others some tidbit of info about my lifestyle..... It's becoming easier as I "live the lifestyle" and others take notice! In fact, tomorrow, I'm taking BOTH Happy Herbivore cookbooks to share with two new Vegan co-workers!!!

Today went longer thn expected at work. Got in a 10 min walk outside with doggies in the 55degree weather and then15 min on treadmill. I stretched for 10 min.

Tonight was a happy hour with friends !! I enjoyed red wine and tasty veggie tacos (mushrooms, pico & avocado slices on blue corn tortilla!). The food was fabulous & it's a NO tums night because I stayed vegan!

Another friend of mine is considering tackling a sprint distance triathlon this summer........

Friday:

Elliptical 30 mins level 6

20 bench step-ups each leg

15 leg extensions #5 wt each leg

10 mins stretch

Good call shift so far......

Not so hungry today- upset tummy after eating out last night- thinking I got ahold of hidden wheat/gluten in my food last night!

Looking forward to weekend- fun with kids and got to pack for upcoming ski/work trip!

Saturday:

What a nice day-took my run outside seeing that it was 40 degrees and sunny!

I ran 2 miles with 2 min warmup=26 mins total-felt great though I didn't wear my heartrate moniter to check if I was staying in my "zone".

stretched 10 mins post jog.....I can tell my stretching is paying off as I feel more limber.

Diet: been a productive day so I've not had time to snack which is unusual for a weekend day at home!

I did make Butter Bean Cookies ANOTHER EVERYDAY HAPPY HERBIVORE RECIPE.......mine turned out looking like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (cookbook picture didn't look the same as mine). The girls tried one and I had them guess the "mystery ingredient"...needless to say they were shocked that I'd put WHITE BEANS in cookies and that they were healthy AND delicious!! My hubby liked them too!!!

Tonights supper courtesy of my chef hubby: vegan chili!!! It smells scrumptious......

Sunday:

Exercise:

hit the pool with kids in tow.....I swam 600 yds in 100 yd increments and did aqua kid jogging (held BOTH girls in chest deep water at 70# each) for 5 mins .....fun for all and a nice workout! I could tell that I've neglected my upper body these last few weeks since I've not been swimming! MUST do more swimming!!

Nurtition:

same as yesterday.....leftover chili and butter bean cookies!! I did eat a banana & kiwi too!!

getting my gear and travel food together for end of week trip to Colorado!! I'm so excited to be hitting the slopes in less than a week!!

Hey Lisa! Thanks for giving me another recipe suggestion from HH! I'll DEFINITELY be trying those butter bean cookies! Wow! I've had black bean brownies that were amazing, but never heard of butter bean cookies. Can't wait!

Where in CO are you going? I live here!

Tuesday:

another gorgeous day here in KC!!! 2nd day of 65 degree temps!

Yesterday's workout-None....day of rest. My hubby and I did take our pooches around the block and then I stretched for about 15 mins.

Monday:

ran outdoors (in t-shirt & shorts!!) for 40 mins.....included warm-up walk/cool down of 5 mins and included 3 miles!! I ran a fairly easy pace due to hills and goal to maintain my pulse between 155-160 (increase 170's on hills). I feel great afterwards!!

Nutrition: not real hungry last two days - reminding myself to eat healthy foods when I do eat then.....

Karen: we are headed to Snowmass......part work/part play! I have a conference there all next week-SUPER EXCITED for skiing as I've not been in a couple of years!! I'm packing my workout gear and hoping to squeeze in a few workouts between lectures and skiing!! Where do you live in CO?

hard to believe February is upon us..........

Awesome job, Lisa! I'm really looking forward to being able to run that long, but for now I'm only in week 3 of the Couch-to-5k program, so running 3 minutes is still a challenge for me! Hahaha!

Have a wonderful time in CO! I live an hour north of Denver. It's been unseasonably warm here - sounds like the same where you are! Anyhow, have a safe and fun time!

Great job this month with the New You for the New Year Challenge! You've done an awesome job with your consistency in journaling and fitness! We'll be posting an announcement soon with details about eligibility for the prize package and all that jazz. Hope you'll stick around VBB through February and beyond!

All the best,

Karen

Wednesday:

Early out from work today..... Ran a few errands before home & kids.

Exercise:

Elliptical 15 mins

2 circuits of various upper body exercises for shoulders, chest & upper back

Also, crunches on ball 2 sets of 20..... 20 mins total

10 min stretching cool down

Considering adding more yoga to improve hip flexibility....

Diet: on track.... Haven't strayed too much as I'm too busy to snack AND my tummy feels great from behaving!!

Off to pack!

I'm sooooo ready for a VACATION and snow!!! Bags are packed....between work and packing and kiddos, I've not been able to squeeze in a workout!! I'm hoping to get one in before we get on the road tomorrow!

I did pack my tennis and workout gear w/ i-pod.....I'm thinking I can do some light weights there to go along with 5 days of skiing for my cardio! If I can't make it to the gym there, plan B is to do stretching and yoga poses along with a few body weight exercises at least 3 of the days!!

There-my goal is stated......that's part of the process right?!?

Nutrition on the go...... I'm nervous because I've not traveled in awhile being mostly vegan and GF.....I'm packing snacks such as oranges, bananas, PB, my breakfast cereal, soy milk, celery and hummus. 14 hours of travel time with "eating out" is going to be challenging.....I've got this fear of upset tummy!! Ugh!! That's my motivation to eat well! I'm telling myself-I won't stave!

This will be fun!!!

Have a wonderful time, Lisa! Don't worry... I've found that eating healthy while traveling is usually only challenging when I am not determined to do so. Whenever I've been determined, I've found it easy! Colorado is a very health-conscious state, so you shouldn't find it too hard to get healthy and vegan food. But, yes, always a good idea to bring some food along with you, too. Especially for the travel days. If you end up with any spare time in Denver, you should definitely check out Watercourse - an outstanding veg restaurant! And I believe skiing is excellent exercise!

We made to Hays Kansas..... Planned overnight stay which is good because I 70 at Goodland is CLOSED - fingers are crossed that it'll open in the am so we can head west!!

Only 4 hours in the car today- ate a banana & homemade trail mix- did eatv4 starbursts which are GF BUT high in fat- made w/ oil- I never would have thought that they contain FAT!!!

Exercise: started on treadmill - 5 min in, time to go..... Hubby came home and we hit the road!!!

Will try to do some light stretching in am before hopping in car!

Karen, thanks for encouragement!!! We tried a local Mexican rest here...... Ok food- I did stick to beans w/ chips- no veggie options available so...... I'm full & will offset in morning with more fruit! Thanks for tip on Denver place!!!

Posted earlier today but it's not here!!

Skiing was awesome today- legs are like jello!

Nutrition: on course.... We are in a condo here in Snowmass so I'm staying on track!

Yesterday (Saturday) travel day so no exercise & food.... Ok for me! Did eat fries at one stop but on track otherwise!

Off to finish watching super bowl!

Tuesday:

Today's workout=more skiing!!! We go 1.5 hours then take a break..... Amazing exercise!

Still stretching afterwards.... Surprisingly I'm not terribly sore!

Nutrition: conference food has been good- I made arrangements before hand requesting "vegan" & GF choices. Soy milk had been available (I've noticed many others using it as well!) this morning breakfast was a hot veggie tofu scramble!!! It had eggplant , onions, squash.... Tasty! Others stared at my plate....I think they were in envy as they at their bagels & eggs!! Ha!

Exercise Wednesday:

Skiing 2 hours..... Pretty tough runs thru packed powder. I took it easy because my knees are feeling the 4 ski days in a row!!! I'm taking Iburofen and utilizing the hot tub!! (I take meds only if absolutely necessary!!!!)

Last day of skiing tomorrow.... Headed back to Buttermilk- I enjoyed the skiing there; nice easy open runs!!! Oh, it's snowing here too!!

Nutrition:

Still not horribly hungry.... I'm thinking it's still the altitude. In fact, today I added baby Lima beans to my lunch (Amy's frozen Thai), it didn't agree with me!!! Horrible digestion issues.... I'm wondering if foods that can cause gas at normal altitude can cause MORE gas at higher altitudes?? Not much else can explain my problem......

Enjoying the meeting- superb lectures!!! I'm def getting my CEU money's worth!!

Headed back to KC...... I70 going thru Kansas is rather boring..... Good company with my hubby & his choice of tunes on Pandora.

Skiing yesterday was phenomenal! 6+" of fresh powder at our favorite mountain, Buttermilk!! The 5th day of skiing was a breeze- nice & relaxing- we hated to leave as we both felt we had made the "soreness" turn and could ski almost continuously! We are already looking forward to our return trip in March with the kiddos!! All play then!

Nutrition:

Let me say that I'm ready for my normal eating regimen!! 2 days ago I dipped into eating some bread and 1/2 of a brownie (sweets are my weakness! Ugh!) Boy, I'm paying for it - major digestion changes. I play, I seem to pay!! Thankful that I do know how to control/prevent my issues. Sometimes I stray and it serves as a reminder!

I did bring cut celery, PB & dark choc chips - just made ants on a log for a snack til we can find a dinner place!! A fav snack of mine!!

Sunday:

Elliptical 20 mins level 6

Stretching 10 mins (hamstrings are tight!!! Opposite muscles from skiing!)

Nutrition:

Back on track tomorrow- wahoo!! Ready for my "boring" routine foods!

Got to get my plan together as to which tri I'm going to register for.....

Hey there, Lisa! I've been traveling this week, so haven't been online much. BUT, I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time in Colorado last week!! YAY! And you get to go back next month? Awesome!

Are you gluten-intolerant? Is that why you get such bad issues when you ate the bread/brownie? I know how hard it can be to stay on track with food while traveling. I'm kind of looking forward to getting back home and in my regular eating routine, too.

Hope you are having a great start to the week!

Karen