The Brutal Vegan Drummer's Training Journal

Monday, January 23, 2012

Pre/during workout: 2 scoops of ACG3

Goal for today: I don't know what the fuck is going on today...

Warm-up: 5 mins on Treadmill/stretch

Stability Ball Push Ups (2 sets):

1. 15 reps

2. 15 reps

Dumbbell Chest Press (5 sets):

1. 35lbs (15 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 45lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 45lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

4. 55lbs (15 reps)

5. 50lbs (15 reps)

Cable Cross Chest Press (4 sets):

1. 60lbs (12 reps)

2. 60lbs (12 reps)

3. 50lbs (12 reps)

4. 50lbs (12 reps)

Overhead Tricep Extension with a Dumbbell (2 sets):

1. 50lbs (12 reps)

2. 50lbs (9 reps)

Iso-Row Machine (3 sets):

1. 80lbs per side (8 reps)

2. 45lbs per side (12 reps)

3. 45lbs per side (12 reps)

Chest Press Machine (6 sets):

1. 170lbs (12 reps)

2. 170lbs (11 reps)

3. 170lbs (10 reps)

4. 170lbs (8 reps)

5. 150lbs (10 reps)

6. 150lbs (10 reps)

Assisted Pull up Machine *Weight Lifted = My Weight - Resistance Weight* (2 sets):

1. 128lbs (10 reps)

2. 128lbs (9 reps)

Post workout: 5 Minutes on Treadmill; Stretch

Workout Summary: I can't even begin to describe how angry of a mood I am in today, but I will try to keep that out of this. I feel like I got an 'ok' workout today. I don't know what was up today, but my muscles weren't cooperating. I tried tricking my body and switching some things up, apparently that didn't work today. I at least feel like a got a few good exercises in, but unfortunately I gave up on many things today, and I NEVER, ever give up. Today was just, 'one of those days,' to be cliche. I'm not going to let that get me down though, I'm trying to remain calm and positive. I will do better tomorrow! Days like this just make me try harder next time, so I guess in a way, I can take this as motivation. I'm not a fan of failure days, as I'm sure no one is, but I understand that they happen, so whatever. I'm just glad I at least got to go to the gym today and do something instead of sitting around being lazy.

Nice to come across another muso, I'm a guitarist. Mainly blues based stuff ~ SRV, Freddie King, Steve Rothery etc. Keep up the good work with your training, looks like you nail your abs pretty hard. Get them strong and everything else will follow. Cheers MF.

Thank you for taking time to check out my journal and comment! I started going to the gym to get into shape and what not, but I have also noticed some pretty drastic differences when it comes to drumming also! I play progressive fusion metal stuff, along with pretty much any style and subgenre related to metal. My style is metal with jazz, funk, punk, etc. mixed in. My workout partner/band mate plays guitar, too. He goes by xvegandestroyerx on here, if you care to check out his journal as well. Thanks for the encouragement! I try to get my abs really well, because I've always been overweight and had a belly, so when I finally get that six-pack, I want it to explode out of nowhere!

Wow, man your influences sound great! I'm into that side of things as well, I guess I play blues but I have a lot of Dream Theater, LTE, Steve Howe (did a great fusion album with Ritchie Kotzen if you haven't heard it), Marillion, Malmsteen etc etc.

I'll have a look at your bandmates journal too when I get some time, I have one on here as well. Plenty of videos & pics of my lifting and various other stuff. Have tried to keep the emphasis on my lifting but keeping it fun & interesting at the same time.

Wow, man your influences sound great! I'm into that side of things as well, I guess I play blues but I have a lot of Dream Theater, LTE, Steve Howe (did a great fusion album with Ritchie Kotzen if you haven't heard it), Marillion, Malmsteen etc etc.

I'll have a look at your bandmates journal too when I get some time, I have one on here as well. Plenty of videos & pics of my lifting and various other stuff. Have tried to keep the emphasis on my lifting but keeping it fun & interesting at the same time.

Haha oh that's you! That's funny, I actually just checked out your training journal yesterday! I believed I've looked at it a few times prior to that as well. You journal is sooo detailed! You're doing a great job on your training, I like all the pictures and videos.

A few of the bands I get some influence from: Blotted Science, Obscura, Spastic Ink, Death, Chimaira, Decapitated, Angra, Animals as Leaders, Atheist, Meshuggah, Behemoth, etc.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goal for today: Today, I'm going to attempt to workout my arms, while also trying to have a 'make-up day' for what I was unable to do yesterday for chest/upper back

Warm-up: 5 mins on Cross Ramp/stretch

Lat Pull Down Machine (5 sets):

1. 150lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 225lbs (12 reps)

3. 225lbs (9 reps)

4. 210lbs (11 reps)

5. 195lbs (11 reps)

Standing Bicep Curls (6 sets):

1. 30lbs (15 reps per arm) *Warm-up*

2. 40lbs (12 reps per arm)

3. 35lbs (12 reps per arm)

4. 30lbs (15 reps per arm)

5. 30lbs (15 reps per arm)

6. 20lbs (20 reps per arm)

Overhead Tricep Extension with a Dumbbell (3 sets):

1. 55lbs (12 reps)

2. 55lbs (12 reps)

3. 55lbs (10 reps)

Smith Machine Shrugs (4 sets):

1. 225lbs (12 reps)

2. 225lbs (12 reps)

3. 225lbs (10 reps)

4. 185lbs (18 reps)

Tricep Push Down Machine (5 sets):

1. 190lbs (12 reps)

2. 190lbs (10 reps)

3. 170lbs (12 reps)

4. 170lbs (10 reps)

5. 150lbs (12 reps)

Alternating Hammer Curls (6 sets):

1. 40lbs (3 reps per arm)

2. 35lbs (3 reps per arm)

3. 30lbs (10 reps per arm)

4. 30lbs (9 reps per arm)

5. 25lbs (13 reps per arm)

6. 250lbs (12 reps per arm)

Assisted Dips Machine *Weight Lifted = My Weight - Resistance Weight* (4 sets):

1. 118lbs (15 reps)

2. 118lbs (11 reps)

3. 108lbs (12 reps)

4. 98lbs (12 reps)

Barbell Bench Press (4 sets): My workout buddy had school today, so I went to the gym alone. Since I didn't have a spot, I went light on this.

1. 95lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 145lbs (12 reps)

3. 145lbs (9 reps)

4. 145lbs (8 reps)

Cable Long Pull Machine (4 sets):

1. 140lbs (8 reps)

2. 120lbs (10 reps)

3. 100lbs (12 reps)

4. 80lbs (12 reps)

Post workout: 5 Minutes on Cross Ramp: Incline-6, Resistance-13; 15 Minutes on Treadmill: Speed-3, Incline-0; Stretch

Workout Summary: I was tired, but motivated today! I wanted to try to make up for some of the chest/upper back things I didn't get to do yesterday, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my arm workout to do so. So, I tried to incorporate as much as I could into what I was doing. I feel really good about today's workout, and I feel like I made up for having a shitty day yesterday. I did feel like my biceps were lagging a little bit, but that alright, because I really worked the fuck out of them last week! My triceps felt great today, and I was really happy with how they performed. Since I went alone today, I feel like I had a more focused workout, and I think it helped, because I was able to make up for yesterday pretty well, and still do arm workouts.

Workout Summary: I was tired, but motivated today! I wanted to try to make up for some of the chest/upper back things I didn't get to do yesterday, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my arm workout to do so. So, I tried to incorporate as much as I could into what I was doing. I feel really good about today's workout, and I feel like I made up for having a shitty day yesterday. I did feel like my biceps were lagging a little bit, but that alright, because I really worked the fuck out of them last week! My triceps felt great today, and I was really happy with how they performed. Since I went alone today, I feel like I had a more focused workout, and I think it helped, because I was able to make up for yesterday pretty well, and still do arm workouts.

Glad you had a good workout, the same thing happened with me yesterday. I had such a bad day in the gym (mine was due to working late and missing a meal), i thought today is going to be a great workout and it was. Feels great afterwards.

Great journal and some impressive lifts, keep up the hard work.

Haha oh that's you! That's funny, I actually just checked out your training journal yesterday! I believed I've looked at it a few times prior to that as well. You journal is sooo detailed! You're doing a great job on your training, I like all the pictures and videos.

Yup, that sounds like my journal haha

Glad you had a good workout, the same thing happened with me yesterday. I had such a bad day in the gym (mine was due to working late and missing a meal), i thought today is going to be a great workout and it was. Feels great afterwards.

Great journal and some impressive lifts, keep up the hard work.

Hey, thanks! I hate bad gym days haha. I wake up at 4 am to go to work like every day, and I go to the gym right after work. So, I'm often tired from being up so damn early lol. I love leaving the gym feeling mentally awake, but physically exhausted from getting my blood pumping, then using every last bit of energy!

Thank you! I've only been going to the gym for about 6-7 months or so now, and I don't plan on giving up any time soon, so I've got a looong ways to go!

Yup, that sounds like my journal haha

Ha well keep up the great work!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Goal for today: Abs Abs Abs!!!

Warm-up: 5 Minutes on Cross Ramp/Stretch

Reverse Crunches (4 sets):

1. 20 reps

2. 20 reps

3. 15 reps

4. 15 reps

Standing Cable Cross Oblique Twists (3 sets):

1. 25lbs (15 reps per side)

2. 25lbs (15 reps per side)

3. 25lbs (15 reps per side)

Holding 'Push up position' with hands on the floor and feet up on a stability ball: 2 sets, held for 1:20 first time, and :55 the second time.

Ab Crunch Machine (7 sets):

1. 170lbs (8 reps)

2. 150lbs (12 reps)

3. 150lbs (10 reps)

4. 130lbs (12 reps)

5. 130lbs (12 reps)

6. 130lbs (10 reps)

7. 110lbs (25 reps)

Side Crunches (1 set): I see people doing these all the time, so I figured I'd give them a try. Just did a tester set, and I think I'll try them again some time!

15 reps per side

Ab-Coaster (2 sets):

1. 40lbs - 12 reps each front/left side/right side

2. 40lbs - 15 reps front/ 10 reps left side/right side

Stability Ball Sit ups (1 set):

1. 120 reps in one shot (I like to switch my arm position between across my chest and hands behind my head. I switched every 30 reps)

Stair Mill: 11 minutes. Man, this was my first time trying this as well, I like it a lot! I will definitely be doing this more often! I was sweating bullets after just that 10 minutes! What a great workout

Post workout: Stretch

Workout Summary: I secretly dislike 'Abs day', but I still give it everything I've got, and then some! I love the way I feel afterwards though! Not a better feeling than a nice, tight stomach. I'm really starting to see my abs forming and shaping up! I can't wait to lose the rest of this body fat! I felt like trying some new things today, which I think went quite well. I try to change up my workout as much as I can, so it will be good to start incorporating some new exercises in! I love it when it hurts my abs to bend over, pain is our friend!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Goal for today: Work on Shoulders and Lower Back

Warm-up: 5 Minutes on Treadmill/17 Minutes on Stair Mill (250 calories burned)/stretch

Back Extension Machine (7 sets):

1. 130lbs (15 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 145lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 190lbs (15 reps)

4. 190lbs (12 reps)

5. 190lbs (12 reps)

6. 190lbs (15 reps)

7. 170lbs (20 reps)

Seated Shoulder Press Machine (6 sets):

1. 110lbs (13 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 120lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 220lbs (12 reps)

4. 200lbs (12 reps)

5. 190lbs (15 reps)

6. 190lbs (12 reps)

Dead Lifts (5 sets):

1. 65lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 75lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 85lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

4. 165lbs (12 reps)

5. 185lbs (10 reps)

Guillotine Bench Press on Declined Bench (3 sets):

1. 85lbs (12 reps)

2. 115lbs (12 reps)

3. 135lbs (8 reps) I felt something in my elbow pop, and the bar just came crashing down on me on that last rep, so I took that as my cue to move on lol

Iso-Lateral Front Military Press Machine (3 sets):

1. 70lbs per side (12 reps)

2. 55lbs per side (12 reps)

3. 45lbs per side (12 reps)

Post workout: 15 Minutes on Treadmill on heart rate fat burn setting - heart rate: 120-130, .87miles/Stretch

Workout Summary: Really happy with how today went. I was able to set a couple of new personal bests on Dead Lifts and Shoulder Press. I think I'll be able to bump a few other things next time as well. I'm also sick a fuck today, getting raped by allergies. So, I went against my better judgement today, but I still went, and enjoyed every minute of it. Now I'm going to take some fucking medicine and go to bed!

Sunday, January 29, 2012: Unfortunately, I had to call off the gym today. Something is destroying my sinuses, and it hurts like hell. So, I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to go lift heavy things. I had to call in and use on of my gym 'sick days' lol. It was a paid sick day though, they gave me muscles anyways. So, I just need to rest and what not.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Goal for today: After being sick all weekend, it's time to make up for some shit!

Warm-up: 5 mins on Arc Trainer/Stretch

Chest Press Machine (7 sets):

1. 130lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 130lbs (10 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 190lbs (12 reps)

4. 190lbs (10 reps)

5. 170lbs (10 reps)

6. 150lbs (12 reps)

7. 130lbs (15 reps)

Standing Bicep Curls (6 sets):

1. 30lbs (12 reps per arm) *Warm-up*

2. 40lbs (7 reps per arm)

3. 40lbs (5 reps per arm)

4. 35lbs (10 reps per arm)

5. 35lbs (8 reps per arm)

6. 30lbs (15 reps per arm)

Incline Dumbbell Press (3 sets):

1. 60lbs per arm (15 reps)

2. 55lbs per arm (12 reps)

3. 55lbs per arm (12 reps)

Triceps Pushdown Machine (4 sets):

1. 210lbs (9 reps)

2. 190lbs (12 reps)

3. 190lbs (10 reps)

4. 170lbs (15 reps)

Alternating Hammer Curls (6 sets):

1. 40lbs (3 reps per arm)

2. 35lbs (9 reps per arm)

3. 35lbs (6 reps per arm)

4. 30lbs (12 reps per arm)

5. 30lbs (10 reps per arm)

6. 30lbs (8 reps per arm)

Workout Summary: I'm really glad I felt well enough to go to the gym today! I've been eating so much raw fruits and vegetables the past couple of days, and it apparently helped! I was sick as fuck on Sunday, and I feel pretty much fully recovered already. I guess they're called 'health foods' for a reason! I felt really good about today, set a few new personal bests. After the past few 'chest days' I've had, I am very, very happy with what I did today! I still have to make up for missing a couple of days, but I will do that later in the week. I greatly look forward to making up 'Legs day,' my favorite! I hope everyone has had a good month and made lots of progress! Let's keep moving! January was just a start for some people, don't let February be the end!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Goal for today: Don't leave until it hurts to breathe!

Warm-up: 5 Minutes on Cross Ramp/Stretch

Reverse Crunches (4 sets):

1. 20 reps

2. 20 reps

3. 15 reps

4. 15 reps

Holding 'Push up position' with hands on the floor and feet up on a stability ball: held for 1:30

Stability Ball Sit Ups (1 huge set):

1. 150 reps in one shot (I like to switch my arm position between across my chest and hands behind my head. I switched every 20 reps)

Standing Cable Cross Oblique Twists (3 sets):

1. 25lbs (15 reps per side)

2. 25lbs (12 reps per side)

3. 20lbs (20 reps per side)

Ab Crunch Machine (7 sets):

1. 170lbs (8 reps)

2. 150lbs (12 reps)

3. 150lbs (10 reps)

4. 130lbs (15 reps)

5. 130lbs (12 reps)

6. 130lbs (9 reps)

7. 110lbs (20 reps)

Standing Side Bends with 45lb Plate (1 set): I decided to just get as many as I could in one shot, and call it at that.

75 reps per side

Plank with hands on Balance Board (2 sets): First time held for 1 minute, Second time held for :45

Not sure what to call this, but I just went on the thing you do leg/knee raises on, and raised my legs up as high as I could, and held it there for as long as I could, otherwise known as 45 seconds lol

Post workout: Stretch/Builder Bar (20g Protein)

Workout Summary: I didn't have a whole lot of time today, so I figured I could do a short, intense ab workout. I'd say I pretty much did just that. I really gave my abs hell today, and did not let up. I tried to allow as little time as possible between sets and between exercises. I definitely felt it. Post workout stretch was fairly difficult after all that lol, I think I did all of this in about 45 minutes. I can't wait to feel my stomach in the morning! Love that 'tight' feeling (that's what she said!)

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Goal for today: Legs Make up Day, since I missed Sunday

Warm-up: 5 mins on Treadmill/stretch

**Warm-up**

Leg Extension Machine (3 sets): 90lbs X 20 reps; 90lbs X 15 reps; 110lbs X 15 reps

Seated Calf Raises (2 sets): 90lbs X 15 reps; 90lbs X 15 reps

Seated Leg Curls (1 set): 45lbs X 15 reps

Leg Press (7 sets):

1. 180lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

2. 270lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

3. 320lbs (12 reps) *Warm-up*

4. 720lbs (3 reps)

5. 630lbs (8 reps)

6. 540lbs (10 reps)

7. 450lbs (12 reps)

Leg Extension Machine (5 sets):

1. 250lbs (6 reps)

2. 230lbs (8 reps)

3. 210lbs (10 reps)

4. 190lbs (10 reps)

5. 150lbs (12 reps)

Calf Extension Machine (9 sets):

1. 270lbs (15 reps)

2. 270lbs (12 reps)

3. 270lbs (11 reps)

4. 250lbs (10 reps)

5. 250lbs (8 reps)

6. 230lbs (11 reps)

7. 230lbs (8 reps)

8. 210lbs (12 reps)

9. 210lbs (10 reps)

Seated Leg Curls (8 sets):

1. 95lbs (12 reps)

2. 70lbs (12 reps)

3. 70lbs (12 reps)

4. 70lbs (10 reps)

5. 55lbs (15 reps)

6. 55lbs (12 reps)

7. 55lbs (12 reps)

8. 55lbs (12 reps)

Donkey Calf Raises (7 sets):

1. 400lbs (12 reps)

2. 400lbs (10 reps)

3. 380lbs (12 reps)

4. 380lbs (8 reps)

5. 360lbs (9 reps)

6. 320lbs (10 reps)

7. 280lbs (12 reps)

15 Minutes on Stair Mill: 63 Floors climbed, 230 Calories burned.

Workout Summary: I wasn't really up for doing legs today, but since I missed out on Sunday due to being sick, I made myself do it. I feel like I could have done better if I had more energy, but I still set a couple of new personal bests. Overall, I'm completely happy with what I did today. Certain things are feeling easier and easier, which means...next time I get to bump up some weights! My abs are soo sore today from yesterday, which I love the feeling of. I'm sure my legs will be equally as sore tomorrow, I hope. I'm very happy with my progress so far, and look forward to seeing where I'm able to go from here. I'm sure if I keep nailing my legs like this, drumming will begin to be easier. I did notice that last practice, some of that crazy double bass footwork I do seemed easy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...