The Physical Endeavours of Tarzan

I am currently 5'10" 215lbs. My goal is to be strong and look awesome. My methods can be very unorthodox, I don't follow a program or any strict principles.

I currently only have access to weights 2 days a week, this often results in full body workouts or two-a-days.

(Format note: I will write weight, No. setsx no. reps. For example bicep curl: 500kg 5x10)

Day 1

session 1 10AM :

Squats:

warm up:

60kg 2 x10

80kg 2 x 10

140kg 3 x 5

front squat:

140kg 3 x 1

Leg Extension:

55kg 4 x15

Leg curl:

35kg 1 x10

40kg 1 x10

45kg 1x10

55kg 1x 15

Ab wheel:

4 x 20

Session 2 11PM

Wrestled for an hour with a cougar

Day 2

Session 1 10 AM

Bench press

60kgs 2x10

80kgs 2x 10

95kgs 3x5

Cut my hand on the rack on the last set.

Overhead press:

60kgs 2x8

80kgs 1x5

50kgs 1x15

Lateral Raise

10kg 2x 15

Shrugs

100kg 4x 15

Skullcrushers:

30kg 3x10

1x6

Session 2 5PM

Bent over row:

50kg 2x10

80kg 1x10

100kg 1x8

105kg 3x5

70kg 1x30

Straight-leg Deadlift

110kg 2x15

Hammer curl

20kg DBs 3x8

Reverse curl:

30kg 1x 15

neck work, stretching

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, you people have been busy! I had to dig for ages to find my own log!

Looks like my contract ended for work, so I am unemployed now! boohoo.

I decided to let off steam with some clean and push press.

(Warm up: 60kg squats + walking lunges, DB row.)

C&PP 60kg x5

80kgx3

90kgx1

95kgx1

100kgx1

105kgx1 (Really ugly)

110x0

90x1x17 (aiming for 20)

Ab wheel: 4x10

DB side bend: 30kg 2x15

I wonder if anyone actually reads this... I will add some diet information just for future reference:

Morning- Kimchi- A large handful in a bowl with several large glugs of olive oil

Lunch- 3 avocados+5 bananas.

Snack- Bananas+ peanut butter

Evening- mixed salad+ nuts+ olive oil based dressing. Tempeh with mixed fried veg (lots of coconut oil).

+Lots of beer

1-3 times a week I will prepare a giant bowl of rice and beans, cover it in chilli sauce and oil and not do anything until it is finished.

I wonder if anyone actually reads this...

I'm reading it, and I'm applauding your use of coconut oil. Ain't it great? I love it, especially since it's the one oil out there that helps balance the adrenals. That's important when your body is freaking out on a regular basis from rigorous physical stress, even if it is eustress. Try adding a tablespoon of softened coconut oil to fruit smoothies. It'll improve the flavor, you'll stay full longer, and your coat will be shiny and glossy.

I tried kimchi for the first time last week and decided to stick with sauerkraut. Maybe I got hold of a bad recipe, don't know. Do you make your own?

You're using kilograms. What part of the world are you sweating in?

Baby Herc

Totally, baby herc! Cold-pressed coconut oil is one of the most important things in my diet. If i didn't have those healthy fats supporting my hormone levels I would just burn out and be a fat lump of crap. Does it blend well into a smoothie? I have never tried that but I don't have a blender anymore to try it.

I do make my own kimchi, sauerkraut, sauerruben, soured beets etc. All ingredients come from my garden and are 100% organic. If you make your own you can play around with the ingredients as you like, I consider kimchi my secret weapon against colds, flu and bugs. After reading 'Wild Fermentation' By Sandor Katz I have been on a massive buzz for fermentation, it is such a cool thing to play around with and makes all plant foods that much more nutritious and interesting.

Thanks for your interest

Am I the only one who doesn't know what kimchi is?

How are you so big with only working out 2 days a week and doing full body?

Sometimes "more" is not necessarily "better". I'm doing HST right now which basically requires me to do a full body work out 3x's per week (Mon, Wed, Fri). I could tailor it to doing full body only 2x's per week and still get good results, or I could split between upper and lower body instead of fully body (eg upper in AM/lower in PM) on a given day. Still yet I could do upper on Mon and lower on another day of the week. You can even split upper into morning/evening to get more sets in, etc, etc.

You don't have to work out 6x's per week to gain consistent muscle. But it is the preference of a lot of folks these days partly because I think it keeps your metabolism racing.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what kimchi is?

How are you so big with only working out 2 days a week and doing full body?

Sometimes "more" is not necessarily "better". I'm doing HST right now which basically requires me to do a full body work out 3x's per week (Mon, Wed, Fri). I could tailor it to doing full body only 2x's per week and still get good results, or I could split between upper and lower body instead of fully body (eg upper in AM/lower in PM) on a given day. Still yet I could do upper on Mon and lower on another day of the week. You can even split upper into morning/evening to get more sets in, etc, etc.

You don't have to work out 6x's per week to gain consistent muscle. But it is the preference of a lot of folks these days partly because I think it keeps your metabolism racing.

I used to do full body workouts every time I went to the gym, I'm a fan of them. I do splits between upper and lower now, but I was under the impression that full body is good for toning, not for building?

I used to do full body workouts every time I went to the gym, I'm a fan of them. I do splits between upper and lower now, but I was under the impression that full body is good for toning, not for building?

As long as you have the CNS capacity and energy levels to endure a full body work out at least more than once a week, there's nothing to keep you from building muscle just like any other program, given diet and rest/sleep are in check.

The toning vs building aspect lies within how many reps you do per exercise. I never stray from the 15-3 rep range, as that's where the building is for me, with upper reps more for toning and lower more for strength. 5 rep range is the "magic pill" for me, yet has a drawback as my joints and ligaments begin to suffer after a while, which sends me back to the 15-10 rep range for a while.

This is why HST is so great for me because it incorporates all these factors in the basics of the program.

Exactly what horse said!

An INTENSE full body work out two days in a row is not going to be possible for most people. I have to make compromises every week. For example, one week I will sacrifice doing any hard back work for going hard with squats. Sometimes I will sacrifice both just to get a kick out of doing both. Sometimes I will blast at leg training and be so weak the next day i will not be able to spark up some bicep curls!

I do full body 2-3 times a week and am stronger in each excercise every time i enter the gym, whether it be increased reps or weight. I love it. My schedule is usually:

Heavy full body

Arms/calves and maybe some core

Rest/light cardio if possible

And repeat in that order.

Upper body today. I was feeling really tired and couldn't spark myself up at the beginning.

Warm up (psyching up)

Clean and press (strict)

50kgx1

70kgx1

90kgx1x2

90kgx5 (not strict)

Bench press:

60kg x10x4

80kgx10x4

90kgx8x3

80kgx15

Chest fly:

20kg DBsx12x2 (went for a really good stretch, especially on my right side which is not getting hit too hard lately)

Overhead press:

50kgx15x3

I really need to work on my front and rear delts, but I am too used to doing this!

Bent-over row:

90kg x 3 (WTF BACK?!)

(10min rest)

50kg x 15x1

80kgx10x2

75kgx30

Rest, ate some honey.

Hammer time! Er.. I mean curls!

20kgs eachx12x2

Reverse curl:

50kgx5x2

Skull crushers .

30kgx3x1

20kgs5x1

Burnt out, time to eat.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/vampyre88/catface.png

INSTANT READY TO USE SUGAR.

One of my friends keeps bees, I have tons of the stuff.

I, too, enjoy honey. I'm not militant about stuff like that. I've known vegans who are and vegans who aren't. Between you and me, the vegans who relax are healthier than the angry, judgemental ones in so many ways. I focus on the good stuff and do what my body asks of me. Ever make your own halvah with the honey?

Bees love me. I can stick my head into a flowered shrub just covered with bees and they will calmly buzz around me, never even noticing I'm there. I call them the Bee People. I get a kick out of freaking people out with that trick. I plant my garden with birds and bees in mind, I even let the wasps alone. There's a place for everybody.

Baby Herc

I, too, enjoy honey. I'm not militant about stuff like that. I've known vegans who are and vegans who aren't. Between you and me, the vegans who relax are healthier than the angry, judgemental ones in so many ways. I focus on the good stuff and do what my body asks of me. Ever make your own halvah with the honey?

I honestly didn't think too much about that, I figured only extreme self-hating vegans would deprive themselves of honey. Honey halva? Yes I have! I often make halva from nuts, bananas, various other fruits. I love it.

Bees love me. I can stick my head into a flowered shrub just covered with bees and they will calmly buzz around me, never even noticing I'm there.

It's because you're totally cool

I call them the Bee People. I get a kick out of freaking people out with that trick. I plant my garden with birds and bees in mind, I even let the wasps alone. There's a place for everybody.

Baby Herc

Well, today's session sucked balls. My head is full of fuck from some drama going on in life.

Squats:

50kg x10x2

60kgx12x2

70kgx5

Started some leg extensions but thought 'fuck it'. I will regret this tomorrow when I have no access to weights, but you can't time life's drama around gym sessions sadly.

Shoulder press:

50kgx30x2

60kgx10x3

Bicep curl

40kgx12x4

These were all rage reps just so I could feel like I did something.

Well, today's session sucked balls. My head is full of fuck from some drama going on in life.

I feel ya. In fact, I'm right there, too. You made it to the gym, at least. I scrapped the gym idea (didn't want to talk to anybody), put on the old, crap clothes and headed out into the garage to move heavy things around. I scored a free truck bed full of cedar plank recently, so I unloaded it and fantasized about what I might build with it. Sometimes, that's good cross training.

I'm proud of you for lifting. Keep kickin' ass.

Baby Herc

I scored a free truck bed full of cedar plank

I read that so wrong.... Sorry!

Thanks for the support, I will say for my benefit and for anyone else: Don't fight emotional problems to get to the gym, get to the gym to fight emotional problems! It is great that you still shifted heavy stuff in the garage, not only because you made an effort, but because that is a great way to mix things up, even if you only do it to avoid humanity!

I scored a free truck bed full of cedar plank

I read that so wrong.... Sorry!

Preevert.

only do it to avoid humanity!

The irony of it is that I just wanted to avoid being forced to be perky. I'm known for being incorrigibly happy, but some days I just want to be angry or morose. Best to give the hordes a wide berth and stick to constructive projects that get the knees of my work pants dirty. Besides, I don't do well in the gym when I'm out of sorts. Those are the Stupid Injury days.

Baby Herc