theVeganInitiative Training Journal

1/24:

Feeling pretty sore in my chest and back from Sunday's workout.

It's expected after over a month off.

Ate over 4000 cals yesterday, all raw, lots of variety!

1/4 of a watermelon

4 date/blueberry smoothies

2/3 of a pineapple

2 mangoes

juice of 3/4 lb kale, 3 ribs celery, 1.5 apples

zucchini noodles with tomato/avocado/basil sauce

I'm psyched for deadlifts tonight.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/25

Yesterday's Workout:

Deadlifts: 115 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

BB Curls: 35.8 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

Planks: 4 x failure

Food:

~3300 cals

2 date/blueberry smoothies

2 banana smoothies

2 banana/raspberry/baby spinach smoothies

5 oz. Spring Mix (baby lettuces)

Starting light on the deadlifts. The 10 rep sets are tough and I am out of shape so this was equally a conditioning and strength workout.

I need to eat more!

1/26

still feeling sore from the workouts...

slept about 9 hours but got up a lot to pee.

~3800 cals yesterday:

2 banana smoothies

2 mango/fresh orange juice smoothies

~10 oz. baby spinach, broccoli sprouts, celery, tomato, avocado

feeling a bit tired today. i need to eat more food earlier in the day so hopefully i won't wake up so much during sleep. i have been able to eat more in a sitting so hopefully i'll be able to increase my total calories or at least eat more food earlier in the day.

1/27

Another rest day yesterday to recover.

Soreness is almost gone today.

Ate ~3700 cals yesterday:

3 banana smoothies

2 banana/blueberry smoothies

1 mango/oj smoothie

2 zucchinis spiralized into noodles/5 oz baby spinach+romaine/broccoli seed sprouts/mung sprouts + tomato/mango/lime/cilantro sauce

feeling better everyday...

1/29

Hey Iron Clad Ben! Yes, I'm LFRV, 100% raw fruits and veggies at this time. I've been working on this lifestyle since last February with 2 months 100% in the beginning and then eating low fat vegan cooked dinners but I am now back at it 100% since the new year and feeling awesome. It took me a little less than a month to start feeling super awesome but I have a history of digestive issues and other ailments so I am still healing. Looks like you are doing well with 80/10/10 as well. Keep kicking ass! oh and btw, my smoothies are all 32 oz. I fill up mason jars and bring them around. I usually do 8 oz. of water plus fruit and most smoothies come out to 550 cals (weighted verification). I have been able to increase my calories or at least the amount I can consume in a meal recently after struggling with stomach pains from overload of some sort (probably due to the healing process and/or using dates as a staple until I could get these bananas into a ripe rotation). Fruit management!

workout from 1/27:

squats (high bar, ass to grass): 72.2 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

ohp: 43.6 lbs x 10 reps x 4 sets

legs are sore! happy with my form and getting all the way down into the hole. I have been fatigued from my past couple workouts and have pushed myself too hard in the past so I am going to focus on 2 lifts per workout and see how it goes. I want to feel great after a hard workout, not knocked out. So this workout was very taxing and I felt a bit fatigued but I know I went into it hungry and need to it more next time.

workout from 1/29:

flat bench: 77.2 lbs x 10 reps x 4 sets

rows (bent over, straight back, almost down to the floor): 77.2 lbs x 10 reps (too heavy, didn't get full ROM on some reps), 63.6 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets

chins: 5 reps

felt really good today and left the workout feeling good as well. i didn't push it too hard and am happy with the effort...still sore legs from squats. just had a special coconut water, date, mango, banana smoothie - so good!

jesse

1/30

Finished up yesterday with ~3000 cals. I would like to get more in but ran out of time.

I felt great after my workout yesterday so I'll stick with 2 major lifts per workout for now.

I'm a bit sore today. My lower back gets sore from rows...not sure if my upper back is getting hit hard enough. I had been doing chinups for a while...maybe I'll switch to pullups. I might add these to my deadlift day or do a few sets at any of my workouts when I have good energy.

I took measurements yesterday so I'll see where I'm at in a month.

My goals are still perfect health and gaining lean mass.

1/31

Still on the up and up....

ate ~4000 cals yesterday!

16 oz. orange juice

4 banana smoothies

1 banana/spinach/raspberry smoothie

3 mangoes

16 oz. orange juice

zucchini noodles w/ big salad of baby spinach, spring mix, tomato, celery, mango, avocado, and sprouts w/ lemon/lime juice - took me like an hour to eat this!

deadlift workout tonight.

2/1

yesterday's workout:

Deadlifts: 135 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

crunches: 2 x 10

curls: 40 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets

planks: 2 x failure

pullups: 4, 10 negatives

~3500 cals:

16 oz orange juice

4 banana smoothies

1 date smoothie

handfuls of baby spinach

16 oz oj

1/2 pineapple - my tongue stings!

spinach soup w/ spinach, cucumber, tomato, avocado

feeling good again at this workout but definitely taxed. had some stomach issues during the workout as i ate too close to the start. felt great after drinking some oj and eating pineapple after the workout. the pineapple made my tongue sting more than usual. spinach soup tasted like cucumber...i'll have to tweak the recipe. i want to eat more greens but i don't like chewing on them for an hour so i'm working them into smoothies and soups as well as munching.

2/2

Another good day yesterday:

2 mile walk at lunch - beautiful weather!

~3700 cals:

1/2 mini watermelon - not very good

32 oz oj

2 banana smoothies

handfuls of baby spinach

1/2 pineapple - much better than yesterday

spring mix salad w/ tomato, avocado, sprouts

spinach soup w/ spinach, tomato, avocado, sprouts

zucchini noodles w/ tomato, sprouts, lemon juice

i have 3 shows in the next 3 nights with various bands. pumped!

2/3

yesterday's food:

~4200 cals

32 oz oj

2 banana smoothies

celery, baby spinach, broccoli sprouts

1 banana/coconut water smoothie

1 banana smoothie

16 oz juice of kale, parsley, carrot, apple

felt good and had a good show last night. local crowd, a lot of fun. i didn't get as much sleep as i'd like last night and i'm a bit tired today. i'm planning on a squat/ohp session tonight before i go out again to play another show.

Hey Jesse! Great job with your journaling! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

All the best,

Karen

2/6

Thanks Kareno!

Workout from 2/3:

Squats: 72.2 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

OHP: 43.6 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

I got a little wiped out after 3 shows in 3 days with late nights/not sleeping as much as I like.

I have a little head cold now and skipped my workout yesterday.

My appetite was not as strong as it had been until last night so I was down around 3000 cals...would like to be closer to 4000. I tried a new savory raw dish last night, Cauliflower Rice, and wrapped it up in some red cabbage leaves and romaine leaves. Made a mango/tomato/chive/date "mango chutney" to go with it and it was really good.

Maybe I'll do my BP/Row workout tonight if I'm feeling up to it but my main priority is still to be as healthy as possible so I may just need to rest.

Thanks for sharing your journal this month. I am helping out and you are approved and will get a prize package. I can relate to you because I am the same age and close to the same size 6'2'' 150lbs. So Checking out your workouts and what you eat was interesting/helpful to me personally as well. I hope you continue to do the training journal even though the month is over.

-Dylan

Thanks C.O.! I have been lurking for a long time so I'm happy to be posting now.

2/7

Still have a slight head cold but it has not gone lower than my head so I think it will clear relatively easy. I have been able to fight off these colds well recently without getting as sick as I used to a couple years ago. I am hoping I can get to where I'm not even getting colds at all.

Yesterday's workout:

body weight: 134.0 lbs

BP: 81 lbs x 8, 77.2 lbs x 9, 72.2 lbs x 10 x 3

Rows: 68.6 lbs x 10 x 4

Felt a bit tired and not so strong due to my health but still a decent workout.

I would really like to feel energized before, during, and after my workouts. I usually workout after a full day at work where I am sitting in front of a computer so I'm kind of worn out in a way. My weekend workout usually feels much better. I still feel like I need to eat more/absorb more of what I'm eating. I am still in a healing phase so I will be patient and do my best. Seriously wish I had access to better fruit...I have been having trouble getting enough ripe bananas and they will not ripen for weeks in my house as it's so cold or something...

Yesterday's Food:

~3600 cals

32 oz oj

2 banana smoothies

zucchini/cucumber noodles w/baby spinach/arugula/red cabbage w/tomato/mango/chive/date/lemon sauce - wrapped some of this up in romaine leaves

2/8

Yesterday's Workout:

body weight: 134.0 lbs

Deadlifts: 145 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

Curls: 43.6 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

Crunches: +10 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

Felt pretty good. Still getting over this head cold. All the sets were tough but I felt pretty good at the end...not super worn out. I ate a head of lettuce at lunch so maybe that is a good thing to do on workout days. I usually just do fruit all day and greens at night so I can get it as many calories as possible but even with the lettuce I was able to get in almost 4000 cals.

Yesterday's Food:

~3900 cals

32 oz oj

2 banana smoothies

1 head of boston lettuce with 4 dates - wrapped dates in leaves...good stuff.

big bowl of zucchini noodles, cucumber noodles, baby spinach, red cabbage w/ tomato/mango/chive/date/lemon sauce - also made some wraps of this in iceberg lettuce leaves.

2/9

Got in a 2 mile walk at lunch yesterday.

Food from yesterday:

~4000 cals

32 oz oj

2 banana smoothies

1 heart of romaine w/ 4 dates - made wraps again.

1 banana/heart of romaine/raspberry smoothie

2 zucchinis spiralized, handfuls of arugula and baby romaine, broccoli seed sprouts, 1 rib celery chopped w/ tomato/mango/chive/basil/lemon sauce - made lots of wraps with iceberg lettuce and ate the rest - had half the mango diced up after - so good.

Feeling good/better...not 100% or super awesome yet...almost...I've been close...I just have to get out of this sickness cycle...I've been getting about 9 hours of sleep a night so that should help.

2/10

Went for another 2 mile walk yesterday during lunch.

Beautiful sunshine though quite cold...rolled up my sleeves for some exposure.

Food from yesterday:

~3300 cals

ran out of oranges so no oj. picking up a case of org valencias tonight!

1 mango

2 date/blueberry smoothies - becoming my favorite

3 banana smoothies

1 head of boston lettuce - another new favorite...so tender.

1 stalk celery + handfuls of baby romaine - craving greens!

big bowl of zucchini/cucumber noodles, more baby romaine, cut celery w/ tomato/mango/chive/lemon sauce - wrapped in iceberg and romaine leaves - crushing greens!

squats/ohp training tonight.

hello again iron clad ben!

tomato/mango sauce recipe - so good:

2-4 tomatoes

1/2 - 1 mango -ataulfo is the creamiest but are not available by me (new paltz, ny) currently.

pulse in a blender

makes about 2-4 cups

optional ingredients for different tastes:

lime juice

lemon juice

basil

cilantro

chives

chopped dates

sun dried tomatoes

celery

anything else you can think of!

Workout from 2/10:

Squats: 43.6 lb x 5, 63.6 lbs x 5, 81 x 5, 92.2 x 5, 102.2 x 5, 63.6 x 10 x 5

OHP: 23.8 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 52.4 x 5, 35 x 10 x 5

Felt awesome! Really felt good after the workout. I like this. I switched it up to 5/3/1 + 5x10 same lift assistance...maybe it helped me get warmed up more or maybe it's better for me to start with sets of 5...i don't know....but this felt good. and it will be nice to work on strength as well as i have definitely lost a bunch with my health issues/weight fluctuation/lack of training.

2/13

Saturday:

20 min run (not really sure how far or how long)

Sunday Workout:

BP: 52.4 lbs x 5, 68.8 x 5, 77.2 x 5, 48.6 x 10 x 5

Rows (bent over to the floor): 72.2 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets

Chins (from dead hangs): 4, 4, 3

Felt good, felt tough. I haven't been consistent on chins and it shows. They are very hard for me. I guess it's also because I did them last. I should probably add negatives to do sets of 10 but I was already pretty tired and am aiming to feel good at the end of my workouts and not totally worn out.

I've been good with food. I have been having similar food intake everyday ~3500-4000 cals...I may need to increase this but I am still having trouble getting enough ripe bananas or any other fruits for that matter. I can't wait for spring/summer and more variety. I would like to be eating more juicy/watery fruits but they are just not good right now. I have been having 32 oz. OJ in the morning followed by 5 more 32 oz smoothies of dates/berries or bananas. Then at night I have been eating big bowls of greens/zucchini noodles. I may be starting to gain some weight so I'll be tracking my progress and reassessing everything at the end of the month.

2/14:

Food from 2/13:

~3500 cals

32 oz OJ

3 banana smoothies

1 lb of romaine hearts - eaten throughout the day - felt good

16 oz juice of kale, baby spinach, celery, parsley, apple, carrot

Picking up 2 cases of bananas, 1 case of valencia oranges, and 1 case of mangoes after work.

Then it's time for a deadlift workout!

2/15

Iron Clad Ben - I wish my bananas would actually ripen! It's cold in NY and I have not been eating the best bananas. I wouldn't really want to eat these without blending. I am struggling to have appealing fruits at this time of year. I don't know how they are harvested but I am always asking to get the ripest bananas and still they come in with green on them. I am waiting a long time for these to even get edible and have been resorting to putting an electric blanket on the box to speed up the process. It really makes me want to move south. I love the tropics and do not enjoy the winters so maybe one day I will up and move. Hard to do with so much going on here as well as close friends and family.

In the summer, the bananas ripen quicker and I may have to stagger my purchases. You could also put lots in your fridge to slow down the ripening process or freeze them when they get really ripe.

I have been reading your posts on 30bad - you're doing really well...keep it up! BTW, I love Austin!

Workout from 2/14:

Deadlifts: 123.8 lbs x 5, 145 x 5, 163.8 x 5, 115 x 10 x 5

Curls: 45 x 10 x 5

Crunches: +14.3 lbs x 10 x 5

Deadlifts felt good but tough. I was working on getting myself psyched up.

Curls were so hard towards the end.

Crunches felt fine. I should probably switch up my ab exercise.

Food from 2/14:

~4000 cals

16 oz OJ - ran out of oranges!

2 banana smoothies

1 heart of romaine - stomach started to hurt - got really gassy - struggling with greens (or possibly previously eaten unripe bananas) for some reason - i have had problems with this in the past - still healing.

1 banana/raspberry smoothie - new fav!

bowl of zucchini/cucumber noodles with tomato/mango sauce + left some sauce in the blender and added a few handfuls of baby spinach to make a soup - i'm going to try blending or juicing my greens and go back to only eating them at the end of the day. my stomach has been gassy and the only thing i can think of is increasing my greens throughout the day or possible unripe bananas. I have been feeling more balanced eating more greens though so it's a shame i am having this problem. I need to read more: I'm going to reread 80/10/10 as well as info on the calcium/phosphorous ratio. I do a lot of research and reading so sometimes I think I'm exposing myself to too much info and I need to keep it simple however I am an info/internet junkie.

2/20

I've been busy...and away from my computer.

I've also been having a healing crisis with my digestion giving me problems again.

Additionally, I have been real low on ripe fruits, most importantly, no bananas!

So I haven't been getting as many calories and I've gone back to a more restricted healing diet that I learned from David Klein's Self Healing, which has helped me in the past. This means no citrus and greens must be juiced. I think I'm doing a bit better but it will take some time to get back to feeling generally good again. I am getting heartburn/reflux feeling after eating and some constipation but it seems to be better when eating date smoothies or bananas (if only they'd ripen or come in yellow (they've been coming in green!)). It has been frustrating but I need to stay on this journey and keep staying positive about my health.

I have been able to feel well enough to get my workouts in!

2/17:

Squats: 86x3, 102.2x3, 111x3, 63.6x10x2, 52.4x10x3

OHP: 43.6x3, 50x3, 57.4x3, 35x10x5

Squats felt heavy - I lowered the weight on my sets of 10 which still felt tough but not as ridiculous as the heavier weight. I'm not sure why I am not stronger at these when my deadlift numbers are decent. Maybe it's my leverage or my form...I'm not so concerned with the weight though...I just want to feel good and gain some lean mass which will take consistent eating.

2/19:

BP: 63.6x3, 72.2x3, 81x3, 52.4x10x5

Rows: 72.2x10x5

Chins: 5, 4, 4

I increased the weight on my sets of 10 for bench and this felt good.

For rows I used the same weight as it was so difficult last week and did them off my bench bent over. I had gone to the floor last week but was straining my low back too much.

Chins already increased from last week. My arms and back are pretty tired before I do them so the numbers are still low.