Sherrie's Starting Over

Thursday 1/19 was a blur of sugar cravings and pain. I should not have given into my peanut butter craving with peanut butter. I know it isn't good for me, yet I went there. I whipped up some sunflower butter today and will get my fix that way. Today was a 5 minute yoga sessions between long stretches of work kind of day, and my workday is not over. Oy.

B - hash browns (onions, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, and potatoes grilled on a dry cast iron griddle), hot sauce, lemon water, black coffee

L was kinda naughty - sunflower/walnut butter and jelly on whole wheat, apple, corn chips, decaf iced tea, water

D - Happy Herbivore's NOLA Gumbo with extra veggies (doubled the recipe and added okra), brown rice, steam-fried cabbage (cabbage steamed then dry fried until caramelized), lemon water, decaf iced tea

Peace, all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both of them and have been cooking out of Everyday Happy Herbivore steadily since it was delivered last month. It is perfect for the crazy school year weeknights. Of the two, I cannot really recommend one over the other. Both have pantry guides, condiment recipes (so much cheaper than store bought alternatives), and recipes that make my omni family happy. I will say that the Quick Queso from the first book is incredible. The family kept snacking on it even though they had their dairy queso.

Check them pout from the library and decide from there. Or just pick them both up.

Saturday January 21 has not been a good day. I got a whopping 2 hours of sleep and feel it in mind and body. I am beat and seem to have picked up the bug that's knocking my mom for a loop. Fun times.

B - apples and grapes, black walnuts, decaf tea, lemon water

L - sunflower seed butter and jelly on Ezekiel bread, celery, black coffee, water

D - pizza (thank you, hubby), celery, salad with vegan ranch, decaf tea, water

Peace, all. Homework calls.

Sunday, January 22 was lazy and busy at the same time. Once again the dvr is possessed, so tomorrow I get to wait for a tech. Woo. I think I am catching my mom's ick because I had no appetite. I hope it comes back soon.

Thank goodness for leftovers.

B - handful of grapes, sunflower butter on sesame crackers, lemon water, black coffee

L - biscuit, water

D - Gardein tenders, dirty rice (made with extra veggies), spoonful mac and cheese, decaf iced tea

Go Giants! Was that a killer game or what?

Monday, January 23 is the last day of my daughter's 17th year. I've been a teary mess on and off this past week, but am determined to not be teary tonight or tomorrow.

B - biscuit and tofu 'egg' sandwich, water, black coffee

L - huge salad with romaine, celery (stalk and leaves), bean salad, and drizzle of balsamic vinegar, water

D - sloppy joe (tvp and Manwich sauce) on bun, pickle, chocolate chip cookie, water, decaf tea

Tai Chi today, and it was perfect.

Hey Sherrie! Don't be sad about your daughter's birthday. Just think of it in terms of being one day older tomorrow than today.

By the way, I ordered both of the Happy Herbivore books and am looking forward to trying them out! Thanks for your advice!

Happy 18th birthday to your daughter!

Thank you! I'm not sad, just blown away by how far that 7 lb. 6 oz. bundle has come.

I hope you like the books! Have you cooked anything from her site yet? And if you ever check out Vimeo, she has a couple video demonstrations there. No, I'm not a fan at all, lol.

J's 18th, January 24

It's been an interesting day. My girl is completely unaffected by the day and what it means. She's a funny and awesome kid.

B - Cheerios with soymilk, black coffee, water

S - biscuit with sunflower butter

L - lentil loaf and ton of steamed cabbage, water, lemonade

D was the birthday girl's choice - pizza, salad with balsamic vinegar, lemonade, slice birthday cake, decaf

Gentle yoga today + 22 push-ups. On the floor instead of the wall. I haven't been in condition to hit the floor in ages and get up without help. It feels great, especially since I'm not in as bad a shape as I thought.

Tomorrow, more tai chi and hopefully back to the C25K training.

Awww, happy birthday again to your "bundle of joy"!

I've looked throught the Happy Herbivore website and seen tons of recipes but haven't had the chance to try any of them yet. I'm anxious though!

Congratulations on your fitness and for being in better shape than you thought! Good luck on your C25K program! Which week are you on? I just started week 2.

Thanks! She's acting like it's no big thing and is a little freaked by the attention. Go figure.

I'm on a walk/jog plan a friend shared from SparkPeople. I'm forcing myself to go slowly so I don't hurt myself. I'm good at hurting myself, unfortunately.

Happy Herbivore's banana bread has the omni family completely enthralled. It's a good and really easy one to start with.

I did not sleep at all last night and am feeling like a 90 year old today - sore, moving slowly. Throw in the headache, and I'm not much good to anyone.

B - green smoothie (cup kale, cup romaine, banana, Plant Fusion unsweetened, and water), lemon water

S - black coffee, walnuts, water

L - tofu egg on whole wheat, apple, water

D - veggie pot pie (pastry crust on bottom, mashed potatoes on top), lemonade, water

Oy, Thursday and Friday flew by in part because hubby was off and because I'm not at 100%. His influence is not a good one when it comes to keeping on track, but not this time. I don't know if it was his birthday or just something in the air, but he was enthusiastic about going out for Indian and excited about me cooking Friday night's dinner instead of going out. Some days you just go with it instead of analyzing it, so that's what I'll do.

Thursday exercise - 2 2 mile walks with hubby and the dogs

B - tofu and veggie scramble on whole wheat with hot sauce, water, black coffee

L - Indian buffet bliss (all vegan)- Palak Paneer, Vegetable Manchurian, rice, chopped salad, samosa, mint chutney, iced tea

D - huge salad with greens, beans, herbs lemon juice, and red wine vinegar, water

S - slice birthday cake, decaf, water

Friday - crazy busy

Exercise - 1 mine walk

B - 2 vegan doughnuts, coffee, water

L - veggie sub (loaded with extra veggies and red wine vinegar), water

D - Gardein cutlet on bun, hot wing style, sweet potato fries, slaw, banana and berry smoothie, water

Saturday - yoga

B - biscuit and tofu scramble

L - green smoothie (banana, spinach, kale, cocoa powder, soy milk)

D - Gardein cutlet hot wing style, slaw, water

More work is waiting for me, so I'm out.

I am beat. We spent Sunday helping a friend move and her furniture is all solid wood. Piano, antique sideboard, dining table, bunk bed/desk/bookcase system, refrigerator, etc. And the boxes of books! I had my workouts planned for the week but had to make some changes based on what's happening right now. Yoga was needed today for sure.

Sunday - moving day (8 1/2 hours total with 3 hours of lifting, pushing, and arranging boxes and furniture. The rest spent packing and travelling from one house to the other)

B - lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, and mixed veggies, black coffee, water

L - apple hand pie

D - chili dog, fries, burger, lemonade, water

Monday - yoga (37 minutes and it was needed)

B - veggie smoothie (carrot, apple, celery, kale, and a little water in the LaLanne Healthmaster)

S - biscuit, scrambled tofu, black coffee water

L - big salad (romaine, cucumber, tofu feta, onions, black olives, Mrs. Dash, and balsamic vinegar), water, herbal tea

D - Happy Herbivore's veggie biscuit potpie minus the biscuit, herbal tea, water

Peace, all.

February, eh?

Oh man do I hurt. It's flare-up time and I hurt my knee while moving on Sunday, so i'm not a happy camper. Throw in the Candida news and I am really not happy. Sugar and yeast have to go at first, and maybe more after that. I want to clear out the no-no's before jumping in 100%, but know I should jump in right now. Oy.

Tuesday exercise - seated yoga

Wednesday exercise - seated yoga poses, wall pushups (I tried to get to the floor and my knee could not handle the stress. Grr)

B - tofu scramble with tomatoes and garlic, black coffee, water

L - big old salad - fridge cleaner with romaine, cukes, carrots, celery, diced apple and lemon juice with flax and olive oil. I'll cut the cukes or apples next time. They did not go as well together as I'd hoped. Live and learn, right?

D - hummus on whole wheat pita with onions, cukes, and romaine, tea, water

Wish me luck. It's going to be a long one.

Great work keeping up with your fitness journal, I will recommend you for a prize pack for sure. Also thanks for the recommendation on the cookbooks. I will check them out. I hope you continue to post your journal. I think we have all been gaining a lot from being able to see see each others journals, ask questions, see what others are doing, and help motivate each other. I know I have.

-Dylan

You are so kind, Sherrie!

So, Candida, huh? Hmm.... My dad went to a naturopath (spelling?) several years ago and had to cut out sugar, gluten, and dairy from his diet, as he had really bad asthma. He's avoided those things for years now, and his asthma has pretty much disappeared! Yet, once in a while, if he has more than a tiny bit of sugar or dairy, his asthma comes right back. Amazing how much food affects us, eh?

Hope your knee is feeling well again soon.

And, yes, great job on your journal this month! Dylan and I are both Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness team members, and are working together with Robert to identify all the prize recipients for the NYNY challenge, and you've done such a great job! We received the email you sent with your journal information, so just know that we'll be shipping out prize packages beginning in about a week. I'm so excited for these prize packages, as they're going to be great!

Thanks for all your support, both of VB&F and my own journey!

Thanks, Dylan and Karen. I am so not going anywhere. This is a great place for me to be and it is helping me keep positive through the pain. And oh man is there pain.

I've noticed an issue with certain foods for a while and cut dairy years ago because of it. When I'd have just a little ice cream or cheese, my sinuses would almost instantly block and I'd feel sluggish. I know what I need to do, but am just not feeling it at the moment. When I hurt, I tend to look toward comfort foods. Even though I've gained control of my emotional eating, I still crave sweets. It goes back to childhood and those Nutter Butter and milk snack while we watched wrestling or boxing. Those buggers are not healthy at all, but they are vegan and are fantastic with almond milk. Just putting that out there, lol.

Thank you for the support and inspiration! This has been an amazing experience and I do not want it to end.

Thursday, February 2. Time is flying by. :sigh: It has been a long and painful day, but I'm keeping positive as I hobble about. Even my gripes are positive according to the family, so I'm doing something right. I've been cleaning the fridge and pantry in prep for my cleanse. I got teary at the grocery store last night while reading labels and realizing how many of my favs are off limits for me. At least until I get control of this fungus and kick it to the curb. Today I giggled with glee when I realized I can bake a traditional yeast-free whole wheat sourdough for sandwich days and could give it a shot as a pizza crust. I will get through this without ending up curled in the fetal position and bawling my eyes out.

B - Ezekiel cereal, almond milk, strawberries, and grapes. Black coffee, multivitamin, probiotic, and water

S - walnus

L - big bowl of romaine, carrots, cukes, and black beans with salsa, decaf tea with lemon

D - J's requested (belated) birthday Japanese feats - hibachi veggies, salad with ginger dressing, sweet potato sushi (swoon), orange slices, iced tea. It was slammed tonight and the server refilled my glass with sweet tea. I ignored it and went for water. This was HUGE. What was uncool was the use of chicken stock in the miso soup. Grr. No soup for me.

Bedtime. Here's to a great night.