DB lateral raise:

10 x 8

10 x 8

10 x 8

HIIT on stationary bike:

5 min warm up

10 intervals of 30 sec on/60 sec off

5 min cool down

I was supposed to do abs but I felt pretty nauseated after HIIT. I probably should have just stuck with some steady-state cardio. I didn't feel up to HIIT but I thought I was just being lazy and told myself to HTFU. Oh well.

Diet:

smoothie with protein, soy milk, flax, and mixed frozen fruit

tofu scramble with onion, carrot, bok choy, and scallion

3 mandarins

black bean chili, baked tortilla chips

1.5 beer

Didn't have much of an appetite today.

sure! I use the dressing from Veganomicon, but I cut out the oil. I use the low fat Mori-nu firm silken tofu, so there's lots of protein in it. Basically I whir it up in the blender with some capers, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, vegan worcestershire, and sea salt. I taste it and see if it needs something else. It tastes way less "tofu-y" if you let it sit in the fridge overnight. I really don't like creamy sauces/dressings that just taste like blended tofu. I like mixing the dressing with sriracha, yum!

Turns out I wasn't sore at all - yay!

28/01/12:

Workout:

2.75 mile run with some walking intervals. I went with my husband who has never really gone for a run before, so I probably walked more than I would have if I was by myself. I'm running around 5.5 mph right now and that feels right for my foot. Wasn't really sore afterward. I think the run took us around 40:00, including walk breaks.

Diet:

black bean chili

smoothie with banana, protein, mixed frozen fruit, and flax

chana masala, brown rice, roti, roasted cauliflower

1 beer

29/01/12:

Rest day.

30/01/12:

Workout:

one-arm DB row:

35 x 5

35 x 5

35 x 5

35 x 5

40 x 5

upright DB row:

15 x 8

15 x 8

20 x 8

DB bench:

30 x 5

30 x 4 (fail)

30 x 5

30 x 5

30 x 4 (fail)

incline DB bench:

25 x 6 (fail)

25 x 5 (fail)

25 x 4 (fail)

After upping the weight on the flat bench and the upright rows I had nothing in me left for the incline bench.

ran 1 mile on treadmill at easy pace (took me 10:56)

40 DB kettlebell swings with 25lb DB

glute bridges x 20

flying dogs x 15 each side

stretching

later on I went for a 2.5 mile walk...second half was hauling a bunch of groceries.

Diet:

smoothie (kale, banana, pear, flax, protein)

salad (romaine, chickpeas, nutritional yeast)

1 orange

baked potato

stew with sweet potato, brussel sprouts, and kidney beans

31/01/12:

Workout:

goblet squat:

40 x 5

45 x 5

45 x 5

45 x 5

45 x 5

DB step ups:

20 x 8

25 x 8

25 x 8

seated hamstring curl:

45 x 12

45 x 12

45 x 12

standing DB calf raise:

35 x 10

35 x 10

35 x 10

hammer curl:

20 x 8

20 x 8

20 x 8

stretching

I didn't do cardio so my lower body would be rested up for running tomorrow.

Diet:

banana, protein with water

kidney bean, brussel sprout, and sweet potato stew

salad (romaine, tvp bacon bits, cauliflower, broccoli, turnip, brussel sprouts, nutritional yeast, flax)

1 orange

butternut and kidney bean stew

Hey Chewy!

I was using the gym at work but I was laid off 3 months ago and spending money on a gym just isn't in the cards at the moment. This gym suits my needs for now and you really can't beat the convenience as it's in my apartment building. So I guess that's looking at the bright side of things

The foot is getting better every day! It's still achy and I have to wear orthopedic shoes, but I was able to start running last week so that makes me happy! Not sure what the prognosis is at this point, surgeon said I won't be considered 100% recovered until a year post-op, but it's getting there! Yay!

28/01/12:

Workout:

2.75 mile run with some walking intervals. I went with my husband who has never really gone for a run before, so I probably walked more than I would have if I was by myself. I'm running around 5.5 mph right now and that feels right for my foot. Wasn't really sore afterward. I think the run took us around 40:00, including walk breaks.

Fabulous! I'm so happy for you. Pretty good time too! Did it feel really freeing?

So fabulous too that hubby went with you! Do you think he'll go some more? Was HE sore afterwards?

01/02/12:

Workout:

3.1 mile/5K run. I forgot my Garmin so I have no idea how long it took me. I just know the route and know how far it is. I kept running the whole way (with the exception of a few traffic lights) although I was definitely slowing down toward the end.

No foot pain while running. When I was walking during my cool down there was a dull ache, but it went away by the time I was done my cool down.

I'm slow, but I'm coming along!

Diet:

banana

salad with romaine, TVP 'bacon', miso-tahini dressing

kidney bean butternut stew

orange

another salad with romaine, TVP 'bacon', miso-tahini dressing

too many chocolate chips

a few baked fries

Could have done without the chocolate but oh well, sometimes a girl needs chocolate.

Yeah, chocolate is a food group! I'm trying to wean myself off it after I saw the recent cnn investigative thing about kids on chocolate plantations.

Wow, congratz on your first post-op 5k! There's no turning back now, you are back, sister! Cute story about the hubster. Think you two will be running races together this season?

Ha, I think I would have been lost without my orthopedic shoes. I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I sat down when I was done walking...after that I couldn't get up for a long time!

I used to ice (with frozen water, not cake frosting) my foot when I was first re-learning to walk. My foot would swell up by the end of the day and the icing helped it go down. I haven't iced for quite awhile now, it just never swells or is achy anymore (yay!)

Great job Carrie! Not only did you do an excellent job with your our fitness journal you were very active with many others as well. Some people just do the minimum, you definitely went above and beyond and its appreciated. I am helping check all the journals and you have qualified and will be getting a prize package. Hope that you continue to use the training journal now that the contest month has finished.

Thanks for making this forum and even better place,

Dylan