Synny's training journal

Ok super good day!! No complaints at all and been a while since I have felt my back and today well I am feeling it!!!

Breakfast

1c dry oats cooked in water

1/4c dried cranberries

2 tbsp whole flax seed ground up

1/4c almond milk

Snack

10 oz green monster

Lunch

1c sweet potato chili

1 cornbread muffin

7 asparagus spears, 2/3c green beans, 1/4 of an onion, 2 crimini mushrooms, hot sauce; sauteed

Snack

1 veggie patty plain

Supper

2 slices gluten free veggie pizza

Post workout

16 oz green monster

Ok so I took notes on what I did in boot camp so I can account for what I did

Boot camp 55mins; 1 min squat, 1 min high knee march, 1 min dynamic squat, 1 min downward dog/pushup, 1 min lunge combo, 1 min plank arm circles, 1 min side lunge, 1 min sumo squat

Round 1

station 1: upright row 25 reps, squat 25 reps

station 2: kneeling shoulder press 25 reps, single leg deadlift 26 reps

station 3: prone pulldown 25 reps, reverse lunge 26 reps

Round2

station 1: upright row 75 reps, squats 75 reps

station 2: kneeling shoulder press 75 reps, single leg deadlift 76 reps

station 3: prone pulldown 75 reps, reverse lunges 76 reps

Round 3

station 1: pushups 30 reps, hip drops 15 reps each side

station 2: plank toe touches 30 reps each side, bridge 30 reps

station 3: mountain climbers 60 reps

Barbell squat: 3 sets 60 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 70 lbs 15 reps

45 degree seated calf: 3 sets 90 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 110 lbs 15 reps

Leg extension: 3 sets 45 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 60 lbs 15 reps

Kneeling leg curl: 3 sets 10 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 10 lbs 15 reps

Ran 1/4 mile, walked 1/4 mile

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nancy,

I can't believe the month is over! It's been more than a pleasure getting to know you and seeing your consistency! You're doing such an amazing job staying focused on your goals! Even though the program is officially ending, please please feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions or want to exchange recipes! I'd love to stay in touch!

Thank you for letting me be part of your journey! I've really loved getting to know you!

Keep up the amazing work- congratulations on how far you've already come!! You are an inspiration!!!!

Good luck with your next fitness goal!!!

xoxox Amanda

Aww thanks Amanda!! Oh I did send you a link for the lentil loaf on here in a pm. didn't know if you got it. It is hard to believe it has been a month... where did all the time go? Thursday is my appointment and I will update you as soon as I know anything. I am hoping to be able to add soy back into my diet... I miss it a lot

Most excellent day I must say. I didn't run any today cause my knee feels tight from last nights workout. I opted for 2 different forms of cardio instead. Getting antsy to see the GI doc in the morning.

Breakfast

1/2c dry oats cooked in water

1/4c dried cranberries

splash of almond milk

Snack

12 oz green monster

Lunch

1 1/2c sweet potato chili

1 cornbread muffin

2/3c green beans

7 asparagus spears

1/4 of an onion

Snack

1 oz tortilla chips

1/2c salsa

(I accidently left my green monster in the car.........)

Supper

1 1/3c baked gluten free mac and "cheese" (brown rice noodles, white beans, salsa, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, spicy brown mustard, peas)

Post workout

8 oz almond milk

1 serving protein powder

Bedtime

8 oz almond milk

1 serving protein powder

Cardio: 20 min AM walk, 20 min PM elliptical on interval setting resistance of 4 on flat section 10 on high section

Yoga: 60 min

Chest and triceps

incline bench press: 3 sets 55 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 65 lbs 15 reps

flat bench press: 3 sets 55 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 65 lbs 15 reps

decline bench press: 3 sets 55 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 65 lbs 15 reps

incline dumbbell flye: 3 sets 15lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 20 lbs 15 reps

Tricep extension: 3 sets 20 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 20 lbs 15 reps

Rope pressdown: 3 sets 40 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 50 lbs 15 reps (friend came up to me and challenged me to press 80 lbs for 6 reps thinking I couldn't do it... I did it )

machine dips: 4 sets 75 lbs 15 reps

I had just finished a set of incline bench press when a older bodybuilder motioned for me to try a set of seated calf raises. Well being the newbie in the free weight room I took his offer. He told me that if I did 10 reps at 90 lbs he would go home. I easily did it watching him grab his bag and leave. Another guy just sat there and laughed after he left.....

Ok so I am now allowed to slowly start introducing soy back into my life YAY!!! I have decided to remain gluten free. The GI doc really wasn't any help and well I am now out $100 oh well. Was a good day but my knee has been talking to me all day and just started hurting more and more. I bought a brace and will ice it here in a bit and then rub in some Aspercreme. Want to wait and see if it is like my left one that flares up and goes away with rest. Soooooo no yoga and boot camp is going to be highly modified and no leg workout. Riding the upright stationary bike didn't bother me so I might do that after boot camp..... will just see what my knee says to me tomorrow.

Breakfast

1/4c dried cranberries

splash of almond milk

Snack

10 oz green monster

Lunch

1 cornbread muffin

2/3c green beans

1/4c sliced onion

7 asparagus spears

Snack

1/2c cinnamon applesauce

1/4c walnuts

Supper

2 slices gluten free veggie pizza

16oz green monster

Post workout

8 oz almond milk

1 serving protein powder

bedtime

8oz almond milk

1 serving protein powder

Upright stationary bike: random program level 3 20 mins

Back/biceps

Iso row: 3 sets 45 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 55 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 60 lbs 12 reps

Iso pulldown: 3 sets 35 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 40 lbs 15 reps

Back extension: 6 sets 15 reps

Cross body hammer curl: 3 sets 15 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 15 lbs 15 reps

Spider curl with ze curl bar no weight added: 3 sets 20 reps, 3 sets 15 reps

Seated inner bicep curl: 3 sets 10 lbs 20 reps, 3 sets 12 lbs 15 reps

I managed to forget my gloves so went lighter and easier on myself cause my hands aren't callused up and now hurt. I am doing so good I am proud of myself

Ok just managed to look at my knee and WOW it is swollen... Yeah total modification day. Going to ice it and immobilize it, took 2 aleve just to help and will take it easy for a couple of day. Might focuse on upper body and utilize the machines like I did last time I had knee issues. Which I think come from trying to run. My knees must be telling me something lol

Was a good day but my knee has been talking to me all day and just started hurting more and more.
when a older bodybuilder motioned for me to try a set of seated calf raises.

Could this have been the culprit? You have to be very careful of your knees on 'seated' calf raises. You might have a ligament out of track across your knee. I would definitely ice it, elevated it when possible, and take an anti-inflammatory like aleve (with some food to protect your stomach though). When the inflamed ligament has calm down, it should pop back into place. The worst thing you can do is keep going with it inflamed, as this will stretch it out, and may get to a point where repair is compromised. A brace may help it after it has popped back into place. . . give it 2 days of rest for that to happen, or at least till the swelling has gone down.

No with all my yoga sessions I know to avoid anything on the knee. I always get my quads under the pad to avoid the knees. I think with my running 2 days in a row and a heavy legs day I stressed it. I have it braced, using aleve, and avoiding anything to stain it more getting ready to ice it before I have to do anymore work at work. I am totally listening to my body. Even missed yoga this morning

Full of energy but can't release it due to knee. Took it easy during boot camp and got a little work out in at least. I just need to rest my knee and let it heal. No pushing my legs for a bit

Breakfast

1/4c dried cranberries

2 tbsp whole flaxseed ground up

Lunch

1 cornbread muffin

2/3c green beans

6 asparagus spears

1/4 onion

Snack

1c cooked brown rice

2 oz kimchi

Supper

2 slices pizza

Post workout

8 oz almond milk

1 serving protein powder

Hey there, lady! Great job with your journaling! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

I'm so ashamed to say this, but you and I were actually "team" members with Amanda, and this is the very first time I've read over your journal! I'm so sorry! But, I'm totally impressed by you! Keep up the awesome work! Oh, and by the way, one of my best friends lives in Warrensburg, which I know is pretty close to where you are, and works at UCM. He is a longtime vegetarian and recent "convert" to mostly-vegan. He says it's so hard to be veg in that area. Any health food stores in the area that you can recommend? Somewhere he could buy vegan convenience foods? Or any great veg-friendly restaurants?

All the best,

Karen

Hey karen! Its all good. There is only 1 health food store near me and it is called natures pantry in Independence. I do believe warrensburg has a veg restaurant now. I haven't had the pleasure of trying any veg restaurant due to I hate eating alone and keeping busy.

That is exactly what I was thinking . Just trying to figure out how to get some cardio in without hurting my knee. I am a ball of energy and didnt sleep well last night. Think the stationary bike would be ok? Going to start a new workout plan I found but has a super restrictive diet which will be good while I am down and can't burn as many calories as I want and will get me used to it by the time my knee feels better. I will get to at least enjoy red beans and rice with cajun seasoning IF I can find a salt free version. I will be looking for a reciep for it before I hit the store just in case....

Thanks! Actually, I remember him saying that the vegan restarurant in W-burg closed a month or two ago. Anyhoo, I'll let him know about that health food store, in case he doesn't already. Thanks again!

I've gotta ask... Are you and Gaia already friends? Or did you "adopt" each other here?

I didn't know it closed... Sad really. Um if he is willing to drive to KC I know of 4 places off the top of my head but have only had the pleasure of trying 1... the bakery YUMMY!!! Met Gaia on here. I honestly have no support system in RL and any friends I make on here are truly needed.

I know he goes to KC on occasion, if you don't mind sending me the names of the places. I'm just really trying to help support him. I mean, his wife makes him great veg meals, but he gets frustrated when eating out and at work.

Anyway, I wish you well in everything! See you around!

Not a problem. I know the struggles of living in the midwest being veg... and I do love to help people out I do highly recommend Mud Pie bakery for your friend and his wife. They use local coffee and use several kinds of "milks". They converted a house into a coffeehouse very friendly. FuD is a small restaurant and hard to get into it seems. Can't wait to try it myself

Think the stationary bike would be ok?

Good question. I would automatically say 'no', but if no bodyweight, and just moving the knee back and forth, doesn't seem to bother it, then I guess 'Yeah'. You will have to see if it works for you. Just make sure you ice it afterwards, even if it doesn't hurt right away - just so it doesn't begin to swell later on.

I was going to suggest swimming, which will allow you to move the knee back and forth, with your body weight - perhaps lighter as you will float - and it will also work your upper body totally.

We have a swimming pool up at our high school, but I just can't deal with the chlorine content (i even gag when I walk into a natatorium/swim observatory room, and can smell it in the air).

Isn't pilates, or specifically the pilates mat workout, pretty upper body and core? That sounds ideal.

I said farewell to my vegan bakery for 3 months... Was a sad moment. Got a new pair of hand me down jeans and I managed to do cardio and my knee didn't complain. I took some new pics for my before for this new program. I have some cropping and resizing to do.

Breakfast

1 cinnamon roll

3 bite size cupcake yeah I went there!!!

Lunch

1 cornbread muffin

Supper

1c baked mac and cheese w/ peas

2 cornbread muffins

I did drink over a gallon of water today hehe

Cardio: stationary bike 20 min hill program level 3/ stationary bike 20 min random program level 4

Flat bench press: 2 sets 45 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 55 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 75 lbs 12 reps

Flat bench fly: 2 sets 12 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 15 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 12 reps

Smith machine military press (counting plates only) 2 sets 20 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 12 reps

Reverse flye: 2 sets 10 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 10 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 12 reps

Rope pressdown: 2 sets 40 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 40 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 60 lbs 12 reps

Skullcrusher: 2 sets 15 lbs 20 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 15 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 12 reps

Ready to start my new program and test my will power with food hahahaha

Took 2 advil and am icing my knee to keep any swelling down that might come up from doing cardio. Tomorrow is supposed to be legs day but I think I am just going to focus on abs and do some cardio instead.

Saying goodbye to the bakery is sad indeed...but it's a hello to your goals being achieved even more!

I trashed my knee for 14 weeks in 1997 after my daughter was born and was training for a marathon,....needless to say I didn't run it that year. I did exactly what you are doing and Gaia suggested...I lasted two pool workouts,- cant stand chlorine..and it's outdoor here year round (So Cal), and because I had 3 small kids, I did a lot of stuff similar to Pilates and similar type workouts in my house and a lot of weights at home with a bench, etc. the damage was so bad, that I didn't do lunges agin until 2010... I sheared a ligament or something.....baby it, cause those knees take a beating and even though you have lost a significant amount of weight, you still have a heavier load and if the long term goal is to do this for life, then baby it. It sounds like you have a good read on your body. On the stationary bike, do you change your levels? Do you ever elliptical? I know you said you were upping cardio to twice a day..maybe reassess that plan and come back to in a few when the knee pain lessens.

When i was still working as a trainer, I usually worked with the bigger girls and it became sort of a passion, and women like you , that take the bull by the horns and do complete 360's have a story..cause not all the women that are big do it..and you are doing it. I feel lazy reading your stuff! Again, thank you. So, when you gonna post the pics?

Hey Diva. I haven't tried the elliptical yet cause I don't want to rush it. The stationary is feels right right now. I usually do use it on level 12-14 so level 3-4 is pretty light for me and keeps me from rushing back in. I don't swim at all and pilates well I never tried and isn't big here in Missouri unlike yoga which I will be trying today. I already know that if my knee starts hurting I will drop down to childs pose or into down dog. Since sleeping with the knee immobilizer on my knee pain has pretty much gone away but by the end of the day is a dull ache so going to try the low level cardio twice a day and assess from there. I miss working my legs a lot but not willing to risk more damage to my knee to feed my ego. I keep a brace on all the time just to keep my knee protected from any misstep I might make lol.

Hey Simi thanks

Knee feeling much stronger but decided to let my knee rest on this leg day and will attempt light weight on the next leg day. Yoga was really good but didn't do 2 poses cause one was chair and the other was a deep squat. Surprisingly cobbler pose and pigeon didn't bother me at all in fact felt really good to stretch. I tried the elliptical today to with no issues but still intend on icing my knee after I eat. BTW I feel like I spend about an hour eating... at least I am to full to think about what my sister bought at the store today hahaha

Breakfast

2 scoops protein powder

Snack

1 scoop protein powder

Lunch

1/2 block steamed tempeh

1/2 lb steamed broccoli

1/2c brown rice

(all of it seasoned with rice vinegar, sprinkle of shoyu, and chinese 5 spice)

Snack

1c spicy red beans (seasoned with salt free cajun seasoning. thermogenic at its finest )

.5c brown rice

.5 lb steamed broccoli

(seasoned with sprinkle of shoyu sorry I need it for a lil flavor and sodium)

Supper

1/2 block tempeh

4 tbsp frank's kraut

2 tbsp brown spicy mustard

1/2 lb steamed broccoli

Cardio: 30 min random program lvl 4 stationary bike, 15 mins manual program elliptical resistance of 4

Yoga: 60 mins after class was feeling a little frisky so I practiced kicking my feet over my head for forearm stands/ scorpion transition. I think I am about ready to try some handstands next