New

Tarzan

wow tarzan, then why are you vegan if its so bad for you???? You should watch watch Forks over knives, wich two doctors explain why and how animal based foods and your so called healthy dieatary cholestrol is not good for you and learn somthing lol. Also plant life on this planet came first before animal life just for your info, without plant life on this planet there never would of been any kind of animal life. look at your teeth in the mirror and tell me you can chase down a deer with your bare hands and tackle it down and tear thru its raw hide and flesh with your FLAT CHOMPERS you are rocking in your mouth and eat it. Come on, lets be realistic and really use that brain and think with logic. Cause you can't prove me wrong on this subject buddy.

But I will not believe that man has evolved as a herbivore.

Hi there! I don't believe that we are inherently omnivores, I believe we became that way due to lack of food, however, I noticed this quote where you said "I will not believe". I usually try to shy away from say "not" and "believe" in the same sentence, because that closes you off from new information and the ability to constantly learn and grow! Just a thought. You may consider being more open to new ideas, and not using a negative when referring to them.

Also, if you plan to have a well formed, well developed opinion on the health of a vegan diet, as others have suggested, you really should watch "Forks Over Knives" and since I'm sure it may not be something you want to buy, you can rent it off amazon from instant streaming!

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure I have seen it.

When I say "I refuse to believe" something, you have to bear in mind that I will not form a belief without learning both sides. There are many sides to an argument and it is up to the individual to believe what makes most sense to them.

It is interesting what you said about lack of food though, I do believe that plant foods were developed as a back up food source (when such plants became available), it has been shown that neanderthals (early carnivorous humans) in Spain had a supply of grains and tubers in the cave they settled in when the environment around them became completely inhospitable (they eventually resorted to cannibalism however so I don't know what message we can take from that). It has been shown time and time again that with the help of agriculture, humanity has had a much more stable and abundant food source that stores well and provides sufficient calories, advanced society could not exist as we know it without that.

Hey look HxC_Nismo, Lyric is being civil and we are having a nice civil conversation despite them thinking I am ignorant and uninformed!

Ok I am not in favor of eating meat at all but I feel that if society is going to continue to eat meat we should get big farms to change the way they breed, raise and slaughter animals. I know there is really no humane way to kill them but letting them die slowly is wrong. I don't think in this day and age we need all the meat that our ancestors ate because we have it more readily available instead of having to hunt for and ration it out. I don't ever see myself eating meat again nor do I miss it. I love being vegan and my body is much happier now that I am. But that is my 2 cents.

Big farms will continue to grow and their methods will become much less humane. The problem is we have a MASSIVE population on earth right now being supported by cereal crops that saved us all and made civilization as we know it. Nature is being completely destroyed just by growing those cereal crops. When you buy soy, rice, wheat, you are supporting the destruction of nature, the destruction of soil, the poisoning and murder of wild animals. You can only regain control over that when you understand the effect of our very existence on our natural surroundings. People need to take the risk of providing only for themselves and those around them with small farms. We have the technology, knowledge and ability to do that now. You are all being kept alive at the expense of nature.

You think you are all being humane by not eating the flesh of animals that are born and raised to be killed while participating in a system of destruction of the natural world; intelligent animals used to roaming forests, flying through trees, not bred through thousands of years to be placid, stupid and to accept their fate.

The reason I became vegan... I was constantly sick and by eliminating meat from my diet I stopped getting sick. I still have my seasonal allergy problem and the occasional cold but I haven't been sick like everyone else around me. I know that we are destroying the earth and taking way from the wild life which is sad. I support small local farms more than big company. I grow my food and try to preserve it as it comes in. I am not perfect and I am not the smartest crayon in the box but I am slowly getting there

You're a weird one, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I've never known anyone be intolerant of meat like that before. It is great to know people are living the way you are, certainly with those same intentions and beliefs.

I will be honest now and admit I am 'trolling', but only in the sense that I am trying to squeeze opinions and information out of people.

Big farms will continue to grow and their methods will become much less humane. The problem is we have a MASSIVE population on earth right now being supported by cereal crops that saved us all and made civilization as we know it. Nature is being completely destroyed just by growing those cereal crops. When you buy soy, rice, wheat, you are supporting the destruction of nature, the destruction of soil, the poisoning and murder of wild animals. You can only regain control over that when you understand the effect of our very existence on our natural surroundings. People need to take the risk of providing only for themselves and those around them with small farms. We have the technology, knowledge and ability to do that now. You are all being kept alive at the expense of nature.

You think you are all being humane by not eating the flesh of animals that are born and raised to be killed while participating in a system of destruction of the natural world; intelligent animals used to roaming forests, flying through trees, not bred through thousands of years to be placid, stupid and to accept their fate.

The bolded parts I totally agree with!

However, what I italicized I have a small bit to put it: Almost all of the corn, arguably the most destructive crop in the states, is grown to feed cattle. The GMO, subsidized crop that is destroying the land and the animals (humans included) on the land, is grown to fed animals who were not evolved to eat that food. When you stop eating cows, you stop that cycle. If everyone stopped eating cows, and after the earth somehow (big question mark, because some would say it can't) be restored back to healthy land, we would have so much more land, because between the land where cattle are raised (which is wasteland) and the land where the corn for the cows is grown, you would free up so much poisoned land to regrow. (wow I really started to ramble)

I would agree with your statements more if it wasn't for the simple fact that corn industry is how it is, with all the land it takes up, and it mostly being grown for cows.

I think the basic idea is doing the least harm. At least that's where my family and I are at. We try to do the least harm possible to ourselves and the world around us. This means buying from small farms, food co-ops, growing what we can, and we really do get almost everything we need that way. Then again, we live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where it's a bit easier.

The bolded parts I totally agree with!

However, what I italicized I have a small bit to put it: Almost all of the corn, arguably the most destructive crop in the states, is grown to feed cattle. The GMO, subsidized crop that is destroying the land and the animals (humans included) on the land, is grown to fed animals who were not evolved to eat that food. When you stop eating cows, you stop that cycle. If everyone stopped eating cows, and after the earth somehow (big question mark, because some would say it can't) be restored back to healthy land, we would have so much more land, because between the land where cattle are raised (which is wasteland) and the land where the corn for the cows is grown, you would free up so much poisoned land to regrow. (wow I really started to ramble)

I would agree with your statements more if it wasn't for the simple fact that corn industry is how it is, with all the land it takes up, and it mostly being grown for cows.

I think the basic idea is doing the least harm. At least that's where my family and I are at. We try to do the least harm possible to ourselves and the world around us. This means buying from small farms, food co-ops, growing what we can, and we really do get almost everything we need that way. Then again, we live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where it's a bit easier.

Rambling is fine!

You make a very good point actually, humans only consume about 9% of corn grown in the US. It is probably the same with Soy.

Also consider though that the fact that so much of that is grown to feed animals that it keeps the volume available for human consumption high and the cost low. In the USA you have vast plains available for growing crops, if all domestic animals disappeared from earth, the same crops would still be grown to feed the growing population of the world. Also consider that if they stopped growing corn on those vast swathes of land it would turn to desert.

I'm not even talking about the USA though, I am talking about the world. The problem really is the population of the world and that would not even be an issue if not for modern farming practices.

trolling is one thing, as is honesty; and it was quite obvious to me- and probably others, after your answers earlier but, being an ass is another. I don't care how strong or smart one is...an ass is an ass. You have all the makings there as you swing on the vine, Tarzan.

I limit my 'discussion stimulating' posts to my own threads, if you do not like the tone of them then leave. Thank you for your opinion anyway.

I'm not even talking about the USA though, I am talking about the world. The problem really is the population of the world and that would not even be an issue if not for modern farming practices.

I couldn't agree more with that. To me, overpopulation is the largest problem facing the planet, well, overpopulation combined with rampant over consumption.

Hello everyone I'm a 20 year old male, weigh 127 lbs. and I'm a pescetarian for 5 months. I have a couple of questions and maybe I can get some advice from you guys I'm trying to transition to vegetarianism and eventually veganism as soon as possible but I'm having some trouble. For one I don't know how to cook that well, but thank goodness for my mom helping me out because I wouldn't be able to keep up with this diet. (Of course I'm learning on my own whenever I can) I also go to college 4 days a week so I don't even know what to take to school to eat because a lot of my food is cooked. I believe I'm struggling because I just don't have the knowledge that I need to transition properly. Did anyone here have the same problem? Where did you guys find info on how to find new foods and substitutes for the food you were already eating? So far the only thing that is preventing me from being a vegan is cheese and fish. I already eliminated all dairy except the cheese. The problem is that I make so many different foods with cheese. I make perogies, pancakes with cheese, cheese sandwiches, and use cheese as a topping for some foods. I don't eat fish as often but when I do it's only fried Cod or tuna from a can for supper usually, but that's because I don't have any ideas on what else to make. I quit drinking cow's milk and eating meat the same day. After about 2 days I developed sores on the back of my tongue and had yellow/white stuff on my tongue. At first I thought I had some kind of reaction to switching to Soy Milk. I dropped that and went to Almond milk but the Sores didn't go away. I still have them now but I don't get the white stuff on my tongue anymore. Should I be worried about the sores or is this some kind of detoxification from the cow's milk or meat I stopped eating? Thank you so much Mike. PS. What kind of water do you guys drink (I drink Smart Water) because I can't find info on which one's have the least amount of Fluoride.

Oops forgot to put that I still eat eggs which I can't even imagine how to take out of my diet since it's eggs for breakfast, in sandwiches. I don't know how to do this lol

Hi there, you may check out some of Colleen Patrick Goudreau's books and her podcast, they are very helpful, and she is simply amazing!!

I have never heard of such a reaction from quitting milk, usually people feel instantly better, their skin clears up, and they stop having stomach problems. I would guess your sores are from something else.

I drink tap water!

Hi there, you may check out some of Colleen Patrick Goudreau's books and her podcast, they are very helpful, and she is simply amazing!!

I have never heard of such a reaction from quitting milk, usually people feel instantly better, their skin clears up, and they stop having stomach problems. I would guess your sores are from something else.

I drink tap water!

Thanks I'll check her out

here is some food for thought Tarzan, I'm not upset with you at all, if anything I'm simply just trying to show you the truth that has been hidden from you for years so corporations like pharmaceutical companies, the meat and dairy industry, etc. can profit off your sickness by you always getting sick and the need for life long consumption of drugs to stay alive from your typical animal based food diet. Not to mention try to make you think its genetic when its simply your families consistent diet that has been passed down every generation in your family.

No hard feelings buddy, I just do a lot of vegan outreach to people that is all, sorry if I upset you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/shattering-the-meat-myth_b_214390.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

I don't need to be converted, I AM vegan, I have been vegan for about two years. I have worked in the meat industry on various levels for 5-6 years. I understand the influence the pharmaceutical industry on ALL aspects of the food industry right now. There is a LOT of misinformation right now on what is actually good for the human body, I have studied these things with a passion for a few years now. Please do not bombard me with biased garbage like the China Study, I could dig up 10 more badly researched, cherry picked articles supporting what I believe.

I am not here to convert you, or to be converted myself. I am here to share my experience with others. Judging by the lack of knowledge i am faced with here, my hope is to see what everyone else does in their day to day life and how it seems to be helping them.

In response to the article you posted: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/should-all-animals-eat-a-high-fat-low-carb-diet.html

Anyone who believes Humans and gorillas have the same digestive ability are automatically retards in my book.

This makes for some awesome pre nap reading:)

Tarzan, in all honesty I think you're more clued up than anyone else having a debate with you. Nothing personal to anyone else but my biggest hatred of veggies/vegans being when they flapping their gums & preach. If anyone actually asks me what I eat to stay big ect I'll explain my diet, nothing more.

Here's why I went veggie, I have no idea. Seriously. It wasn't because I didn't agree with this or that, just hadn't (without realising) eaten meat for a couple of weeks & it went from there. It became a game at first. Now it's just what I do.

I will admit I use to have terrible IBS & now I don't. I would be ill few times a year & now besides the odd nasty cold, since going veggie I haven't been ill. Begin vegan however does

Not suit me. Tried it, it didn't work for me, end of.

My father started work at a large supermarket chain when I was only a few weeks old as a butcher. Also I have fond memory's of my family (when I was a young) bringing back rabbits from shooting & watching my nan gut & skin them. I have no issue seeing, proper butchers at work. It's actually fascinating when you see every inch get used for something.

I wouldn't even attempt to jump into the debate here because simply I don't really have an interst in needing to know...I'm happy going about my life how I see fit.

Not that I agree with mass dairy farms or caged hens & all that jazz.