Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool video, I had the volume up high and the start of it nearly blew my speakers out lol.
lol, +1

I'm just going from the 2 second clip in the video but that squat was WAY high, maybe about 4" short of parallel.

With the deadlift I noticed you have the bar elevated (sitting on plates)?

When I started doing barbell rows (pendlay rows I guess - i pull every rep from the floor), it took my back a few weeks to adapt (a lot of stabilising). Make sure you've got the basics down (keep the bar close to your body, back's flat). If it's not down to poor hamstring flexibility (if so stretch every day) then it could be lack of staying tight and arched.

Hope this helps!

ps. looking beasting in the leg press pic, especially forearms!

Cool video, I had the volume up high and the start of it nearly blew my speakers out lol.
lol, +1

I'm just going from the 2 second clip in the video but that squat was WAY high, maybe about 4" short of parallel.

With the deadlift I noticed you have the bar elevated (sitting on plates)?

When I started doing barbell rows (pendlay rows I guess - i pull every rep from the floor), it took my back a few weeks to adapt (a lot of stabilising). Make sure you've got the basics down (keep the bar close to your body, back's flat). If it's not down to poor hamstring flexibility (if so stretch every day) then it could be lack of staying tight and arched.

Hope this helps!

ps. looking beasting in the leg press pic, especially forearms!

Chewy - Definitely right about the squat. It was the last rep of my second set with 170 from my last leg day; I didn't count it in my log so I probably shouldn't have used it in the clip. No excuses, though, so I'm not adding weight until I can break parallel with 170.

And the bar's on one plate for deads because of the back issues I mentioned - the last time I pulled 170 I didn't have the plate but no video = no legitimacy. Appreciate you critiquing, though, because other than myself, nobody else but the people who follow this log can keep me in check and it's extremely helpful.

In terms of rows, I switched from Pendlays to bent over when I started going to the gym and that's when all of the back issues started up. Maybe I'll switch back because pulling from the floor never was an issue beforehand. If I decide to do that, I'm definitely going to video it and I'll probably ask you to check it out, if that's cool.

Also, sorry about the volume on the last video - when I finished it on my computer, it definitely wasn't that loud but when I checked it out on YouTube, it was pretty, uh, startling to say the least. Hah.

Rest Day

Nine and a half hours of sleep? Who am I? Apparently I’m somebody who needed some big rest to get big. After those nine and a half hours, I woke up feeling tighter than usual and, after one small cup of coffee, immediately began putting together the third episode of Quake v. Crunch before I had to go to work at 2:30 p.m.

After doing so I’ve realized two things I need to step up my v-logging game and I need to lead a more interesting life. Both of the aforementioned led me to, finally, admit, that I need to readjust my life to actually pursue the things I’m most passionate about. There will, undoubtedly be a longer post about that once I have some time to really work that out.

Until then … today wasn’t too bad. Nutrition was on point, work wasn’t too terrible, and l indulged in some Maker’s Marker and IPAs, so no complaints whatsoever. Mostly just pumped about seeing how the Cap’n holds up against some hypertrophy tomorrow. So, until then …

Macros

10/134/210 (drinks included)

You raised an interesting point about the 'sugar debate' in your video blog. I can kind of see where you are coming from, my take on it would be along the lines of...

Cereals (and I'm talking popular, mainstream ones rather than your raw, all natural organic muesli) and any other processed, refined, man-made food contains sugar. This tends to be in the form of things such as added sugar (glucose, sucralose, corn syrup, dextrose etc etc) which isn't overly great. You'll get a nice fat spike in your blood sugar level and so your pancrease will blast out insulin in order to try and regulate your blood sugar levels. After this has all taken place, the insulin has met the sugar, they've had a few wines and a chat and gone home for the night then you get the dip in blood sugar level (3-4pm is a classic time for this to happen, cheesecake companies need to get something happening in this hour as they could make a real killing from grumpy, dopey and hungry women).

Fruit... contains sugar. BUT... you eat a piece of fruit and the fibre from the banana, fibre and pectin from the apple or whatever you are eating slows down the release rate of the sugars into your bloodstream. The other advantage with eating fruit that you don't have from eating the processed food (which incidentally may even contain the same/less amount of sugar than the fruit), is that the fruit comes complete with all of its' natural cofactors, minerals, antioxidants, vitamins and phytonutrients that are in their whole, complete form for your body to absorb. It has been shown and proven (I think by a well respected Alzheimers study group) that people who eat a high intake of fruit have better cognitive and memory functioning than minimal fruit eaters because their blood contained higher antioxidant and phytonutrient plasma levels. Interesting part is that the groups that ate the HIGHEST intake of fruit also had the best blood glucose readings and the least chance of developing Onset or Type II Diabetes. Bet your last dollar if they switched the fruit out to cereal bars or another sugary energy food the results would not be the same.

Okay, that's enough for now. Hope that all makes sense, taken me about 15mins to write that up. Once I start I just keep going, I have a bit of a head on me for remembering random facts and especially numbers that I'll have no real need to recall ?! Like the Alzheimers study I just mentioned, pretty sure it was done in Europe with 193 healthy people ranging in age from 45 to 102. Why can I remember all of that after reading it back in 2006? Man, I have no idea !!!!!

Anyhow, hope that makes some sort of sense? Love the blogs and I subscribed to your channel and left a comment + a thumbs up. Cheers big ears MF.

John V - I think I'm going to go on the last day to watch the Strongman/woman competitions! Are you thinking of going?

James - Definitely not disputing the added nutrients/other benefits that come with eating fruit as opposed to something like Cap'n Crunch - but in terms of body composition, carbohydrates are carbohydrates. Should have been more clear about that one. Your ability to explain how blood sugar levels and insulin interact is pretty uncanny and highly entertaining. I had a good chuckle to the mental imagine of some sugar pouring insulin a nice glass of red wine.

And thank you for the comment on YouTube - my ESP also sucks. And so does my cinematography.

LOL I was cracking up just watching you eat that cereal in your car. you are very entertaining. cant wait for the next episode.

What is the creamy stuff on top of the pizza and how do you make your protein frozen stuff? i cant decide if i want a clif bar or a cookie for cheat meal dessert on saturday!

It was a free trial of Daiya on the pizza. And the frozen protein stuff is simple: use some flavored protein powder, put a couple of scoops into a bowl, start adding water and/or non-dairy milk to until it gets kind of fluffy (but not runny) and throw it into the freezer for about 20 minutes. Works even better if you blend the powder with a banana and throw it in the freezer or if you blend up a frozen banana with powder and pop it back into the freezer.

And regarding the Clif bar or cookie debate ...

http://troll.me/images/the-most-interesting-monster-in-the-world/i-dont-always-eat-cookies-but-when-i-do-i-eat-dos-cookies-thumb.jpg

02.02.12 Outwork Day/QvC: Day III

Lower-body hypertrophy

You know those mornings when you wake up and just rage? Well, “that morning” turned into “that afternoon” and almost kept steamrolling right on through the evening but eventually dissipated after I whipped up some homemade biscuits and gravy for post-OW food inhalation.

In fact, my mood change was so abrupt that it made realize something so simple and obvious I felt like a dolt for not seeing it before: a big reason I’ve been so frustrated with my life is that, for all intents and purposes, I’m not doing any work with my hands nor does that work that I do do actually yield anything. That is, I went from doing activism, running a newspaper, and organizing events/shows that not only allowed me to physically create something but also that generated a sense of accomplishment in me (even if there were no tangible results) to standing behind a register, moving my arms left to right, for eight hours with nothing to show for it other than annoyance and dissatisfaction.

So, now, I’m looking into getting back into the arenas that engage both my mind and my body. Turning that rage into fuel for the fire to do something.

Like educate and keep spreading word as per Dan’s advice/unnecessary praise …

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyszrbmpH31r3mlz8.jpg

Outwork

• Motivation: Sky
    Energy: high.
    Mentality: Disgruntle, had a lot going on in my head today.
    Weight: 122 flat

With a lil Cap’n in me.

Barbell squat (speed work at 70% of max)

8x45

6x3x115

Notes: I tried to get video of these today but … my phone fell over midway through. Hopefully some of its salvageable to put on here.

Front barbell squats

8x75

10x85

2x10x90

Notes: Got some video of these, too, but the same thing happened with my phone. I think I got a good amount of the last set/I need to up my recording game. Most importantly, if I do move deads to this day, these might go to power day.

Leg press

10x270

8x290

10x180

Notes: These were fucking brutal today. So much spit flying out of my mouth and so much swearing. I blame those 400s and 410s on power day.

Stiff-legged deadlifts

10x100

2x12x115

Notes: These felt really good today. If I do end up switching them out for traditional deads, though, I think I could end up pulling a lot heavier than I currently am.

Leg extensions

2x15x100

Notes: I know I probably shouldn’t go any heavier on these because of how they trash my knees but these were cake today. Could have easily busted out another set. Or four.

Seated leg curls

15x70

15x80

Notes: These, for whatever reason, are always a bitch for me no matter where they fall in my routine so I’m focusing on higher reps until I can get full ROM with higher weight. I actually broke a sweat doing these so I suppose that’s a plus?

Glute kickbacks

10x40

10x50

10x60

Notes: Because I’m all about aesthetics.

Seated calf raises

10x180

14x180

Notes: Fucking gnarly burn today. I wanted to do these with 185 but since I’ve added calf presses on the leg press, I wanted to see how heavy I could go on those, too …

Calf presses on leg press

20x175

18x175

Notes: … and, apparently, pretty fucking heavy. I wish I would have videoed these. I felt like a fucking champion afterward.

Post-OW Assesment

I think it’s pretty safe to say that regardless of if it’s slow-digesting or fast-digesting carbohydrates that come out as the winner in this experiment, it’s safe to say that pre-OW nutrition is going to be a mainstay – no heaviness and none of that sick-to-my-stomach feeling I expected from eating before sessions.

Amazingly enough there was no carb-crash during today’s session which, to be honest, I kind of expected since lower-body hypertrophy is always a doozey and I find myself grinding my teeth down to chalk by the time I get to my fourth lift.

The only thing that differed today from the last two days is that, during the second set of seated calf raises, my stomach started growling. Not since the days when I (foolishing) was killing myself on the Elliptical for hours at a time have I gotten hungry during a workout. I don’t know if that relates directly to the pre-OW nutrition or if it has something to do with the fact that I broke a pretty intense sweat as a result of today’s higher reps. I guess we’ll see if this continues to happen or if it’s just an anomaly.

Macros

~59/137/223

Misc.

I want this shirt.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyszufe3gn1r3mlz8.jpg

I've been following your journal whenever I can and checking in with your blog and youtube videos when I can and just wanted to say nice job You are making some real progress and I love your updates. I wish this forum was around when I started lifting (about 20 years ago) it would have been nice to see other women that want to build muscle. Any just wanted to say hi, oh and I always eat right before I workout and these days it's usually a lot of fruit.

John V - I think I'm going to go on the last day to watch the Strongman/woman competitions! Are you thinking of going?
Yes. I'm planning to go at least for the last day. The strength stuff was very fun last time. I'd like to get a small group togetherfrom here. I'll keep in touch.

I've been following your journal whenever I can and checking in with your blog and youtube videos when I can and just wanted to say nice job You are making some real progress and I love your updates. I wish this forum was around when I started lifting (about 20 years ago) it would have been nice to see other women that want to build muscle. Any just wanted to say hi, oh and I always eat right before I workout and these days it's usually a lot of fruit.

Thank you for the kind words! And I completely agree about the forum - while I haven't been lifting as long, I wish I'd known about this community when I first got into fitness a few years ago. It would have saved me a lot of time that I wasted sweating it out on cardio machines when I should have been picking up the bar. It's also been awesome to find other strong women who have similar goals - something I've had a hard time with since graduating college.

Oh! I started following you on Twitter and saw that you're a sociologist - if I could, I'd high-five you.

Yes. I'm planning to go at least for the last day. The strength stuff was very fun last time. I'd like to get a small group togetherfrom here. I'll keep in touch.

Definitely keep me posted - I most certainly want to go.