Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: Synny's training journal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 pm 
Elephant

Synny667 wrote:
Was a good day but my knee has been talking to me all day and just started hurting more and more.
Synny667 wrote:
when a older bodybuilder motioned for me to try a set of seated calf raises.

Could this have been the culprit? You have to be very careful of your knees on 'seated' calf raises. You might have a ligament out of track across your knee. I would definitely ice it, elevated it when possible, and take an anti-inflammatory like aleve (with some food to protect your stomach though). When the inflamed ligament has calm down, it should pop back into place. The worst thing you can do is keep going with it inflamed, as this will stretch it out, and may get to a point where repair is compromised. A brace may help it after it has popped back into place. . . give it 2 days of rest for that to happen, or at least till the swelling has gone down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 pm 
Elephant

No with all my yoga sessions I know to avoid anything on the knee. I always get my quads under the pad to avoid the knees. I think with my running 2 days in a row and a heavy legs day I stressed it. I have it braced, using aleve, and avoiding anything to stain it more :) getting ready to ice it before I have to do anymore work at work. I am totally listening to my body. Even missed yoga this morning

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 pm 
Elephant

Full of energy but can't release it due to knee. Took it easy during boot camp and got a little work out in at least. I just need to rest my knee and let it heal. No pushing my legs for a bit

Breakfast
1c dry oats cooked in water
1/4c dried cranberries
2 tbsp whole flaxseed ground up

Lunch
1 1/2c sweet potato chili
1 cornbread muffin
2/3c green beans
6 asparagus spears
1/4 onion

Snack
1c cooked brown rice
2 oz kimchi

Supper
2 slices pizza

Post workout
8 oz almond milk
1 serving protein powder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:30 am 
Gorilla

Hey there, lady! Great job with your journaling! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

I'm so ashamed to say this, but you and I were actually "team" members with Amanda, and this is the very first time I've read over your journal! I'm so sorry! But, I'm totally impressed by you! Keep up the awesome work! Oh, and by the way, one of my best friends lives in Warrensburg, which I know is pretty close to where you are, and works at UCM. He is a longtime vegetarian and recent "convert" to mostly-vegan. He says it's so hard to be veg in that area. Any health food stores in the area that you can recommend? Somewhere he could buy vegan convenience foods? Or any great veg-friendly restaurants?

All the best,
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:23 am 
Elephant

Hey karen! Its all good. There is only 1 health food store near me and it is called natures pantry in Independence. I do believe warrensburg has a veg restaurant now. I haven't had the pleasure of trying any veg restaurant due to I hate eating alone and keeping busy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:17 am 
Elephant

Maybe you can use this opportunity to work on your upper body a little more than you usually do?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 am 
Elephant

That is exactly what I was thinking :). Just trying to figure out how to get some cardio in without hurting my knee. I am a ball of energy and didnt sleep well last night. Think the stationary bike would be ok? Going to start a new workout plan I found but has a super restrictive diet which will be good while I am down and can't burn as many calories as I want and will get me used to it by the time my knee feels better. I will get to at least enjoy red beans and rice with cajun seasoning IF I can find a salt free version. I will be looking for a reciep for it before I hit the store just in case....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks! Actually, I remember him saying that the vegan restarurant in W-burg closed a month or two ago. Anyhoo, I'll let him know about that health food store, in case he doesn't already. Thanks again!

I've gotta ask... Are you and Gaia already friends? Or did you "adopt" each other here? :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 pm 
Elephant

I didn't know it closed... Sad really. Um if he is willing to drive to KC I know of 4 places off the top of my head but have only had the pleasure of trying 1... the bakery YUMMY!!! Met Gaia on here. I honestly have no support system in RL and any friends I make on here are truly needed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:07 pm 
Gorilla

I know he goes to KC on occasion, if you don't mind sending me the names of the places. I'm just really trying to help support him. I mean, his wife makes him great veg meals, but he gets frustrated when eating out and at work.

Anyway, I wish you well in everything! :D See you around!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm 
Elephant

http://www.vegguide.org/region/242 here is a wonderful link for KC area veg friendly restaurants FuD is strictly vegan and Mud Pie is vegan and does gluten free as well as special orders :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:54 pm 
Gorilla

Cool, thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:59 pm 
Elephant

Not a problem. I know the struggles of living in the midwest being veg... and I do love to help people out :) I do highly recommend Mud Pie bakery for your friend and his wife. They use local coffee and use several kinds of "milks". They converted a house into a coffeehouse very friendly. FuD is a small restaurant and hard to get into it seems. Can't wait to try it myself

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
Elephant

Synny667 wrote:
Think the stationary bike would be ok?

Good question. I would automatically say 'no', but if no bodyweight, and just moving the knee back and forth, doesn't seem to bother it, then I guess 'Yeah'. You will have to see if it works for you. Just make sure you ice it afterwards, even if it doesn't hurt right away - just so it doesn't begin to swell later on.

I was going to suggest swimming, which will allow you to move the knee back and forth, with your body weight - perhaps lighter as you will float - and it will also work your upper body totally.

We have a swimming pool up at our high school, but I just can't deal with the chlorine content (i even gag when I walk into a natatorium/swim observatory room, and can smell it in the air).

Isn't pilates, or specifically the pilates mat workout, pretty upper body and core? That sounds ideal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 pm 
Elephant

Upright stationary bike was what I needed. Will ice and aleve when I get home as precaution. Broke it up into 2 sets of 20 mins at a light pace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 99  Next