Gaia's workout log

Gaia

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First day of cutting/dieting was also a rest day. Even though, we still had to do cardio. So I went over to my partner's house and we walked around the little lake near her house (1 mile around the lake - one of those man-made lakes from it being a quarry, and they built a subdivision after they took most of the stones out - so it was a road that went around it). We took a nice brisk pace and was able to go around 3 times under an hour, and the sun came out, but it was only in the low 30 degrees with a little wind.

I found out that I can do really well dieting during the day. But at night, I was like the hunger monster! I finally broke down and had a small bowl of popcorn and chewed down some romaine leaves. I still was under 2000 calories:macros were 180 protein/200 carbs/45 fat.

I made chili for dinner, and I think that upped my carbs. Also I needed to get in another protein shake to get the protein grams to 200+. Will have to work on it today.

I will now be combining Delts with Legs today. After a couple of weeks of doing many reps, I am going to go heavy this time around for all the bodyparts. But I also will be supersetting the exercises (one delt exercise with one leg exercise - the theory is that while the top part is getting a workout, the bottom part can rest, and then vice versa/switch it around).

I have a budding photographer coming to visit me in two weeks. I asked him if he could possibly take some photos of me (these will be my Beast/Before photos). I shall see what he says and if yes, I shall be tempted to post.

Gaia I am guilty of night hunger. That is one of the main reasons I go to the gym after work. By the time I get home and down my protein shake I am ready to crawl into bed. I still hear the fridge calling me but I am just to pooped to get up and answer it. You are doing awesome!!!

I am going to take your advice and head to the gym when I need to be separated from my kitchen! I am meaning to start tackling the stairmaster anyways!

The second day was way worse than the first night of cutting! I ended up eating a PB&J and unfortunately someone opened up the vegan chocolate chip bag, so I took about 1 TBsp full of them (and I licked the melted parts from my palm). - I was craving chocolate? I know what that means, and sure enough I checked my calendar and it is the beginning of next week that I start my .

I also know that I need extra calories during this time, so I rearranged my diet already. I added an extra 1/2 cup of oats with a protein powder shake meal. I am so proud of myself as I was able to be a good dieting girl last night.

Also, even though I have gone gluten-free for years upon years, and added sprouted wheat toast and pasta back into my diet for bulking - and had minor bloating problems - I am having craving withdrawls! I guess with all things with me, it will take a good 2 weeks for my body to adjust to the new diet.

Delts and Legs today. Two super bodyparts that I love to workout the most (in other words I like to go hard and heavy with them) in one workout. So, you can imagine that we were so out of steam at the end of our workout - and literally had to force ourselves to do the last back to back exercise set. In other words, we did the two exercises together, she would do one set of the first exercise, while I did the first set of the second exercise, and then I would go do a set of hers, and she would come do a set of my exercise. And back and forth we would go. We would get an extra break when one of us asked for spot/assistance on the heavy set to push us past our comfort level. I don't know why, but just having her hands on my elbow for a shoulder press makes me press even more when mentally I am all done - and she says that she doesn't even offer any assistance half the time - except on the last rep where I am shaking so much and trying really hard but she knows I won't be able to do it on my own, then she adds just enough to make me keep pushing without relying completely on her to finish the rep. Took us 3 months to be able to spot/assist each other like that!

Shoulder Press/Smith Press . . . . . . . . Leg Press

warmup: 30/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . warmup: 6(45plates)/25

50/15, 75/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12 P/15, 16 P/15

90/10, 90/8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 P/15, 18 P/15

DB Side Laterals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Leg Extension

warmup 17.5/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . warmup: 150/25

22.5/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 280/12~3 (~short ROM rep)

30/8~2, 35/8 (2 more reps over PB) . . . 330/9~1,330/8~2

Rear Delts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leg Curl

warmup: 50/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . warmup: 70/25 - very easy

75/15, 90/12 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 130/15

105/10, 120/~8 good effort . . . . . . . . . 175/10, 190/8

Front Raise on MaxRack Barbell. . . . . . Calf Raise - first seated, then I felt it only in my hamstrings, then went to leg press calf raise

warmup: 10/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . warmup: 80/35 -seated

20/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110/15, 150/15 (hamstrings hurt, not the calves) - seated

30/12, 40/8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 300/30, 300/40, 325/25 (calves are burning by now. so I didn't want to go to the 6/8 rep range) - leg press

DB Shoulder Press . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sumo Squat (on the Smith Press with the safety on!)

warmup: 25/15+10 (breath break) . . . . 90/25

27.5/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180/20 (getting really tired here. body not responding. could be time for another injury?)

35/12, 40/6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .180/25 (not going to put on more weight. mentally not in the set. scared of injury. . again).

So my theory of working top and bottom at the same time would let the one bodypart rest while doing the other end bodypart worked. But when doing heavy weights, your whole body gets fatigued, and that affects any bodypart you are working. This was a grueling workout for both of us. We had a hard time focusing on the last exercise pair. I had my protein shake right afterwards, and it was like I could feel it replenishing whatever I needed. That was a cool feeling.

Next day was suppose to be Back and Tricep day, but I vetoed it. We did cardio instead (went 4 times around her 1 mile lake road - with some jogging and something in soccer we called Indian runs: you begin by all moving in a straight line, then the last person passes whoever is in front of them, and then when they are in front, the last person then begins to pass all those that are in front, and on and on you go. With only the two of us, we sprinted the first couple of times, and then it would take us forever to pass the other person (and talking while passing doesn't help

Now it is the next day and I am ready for Back and Triceps. I also got my partner a pair of Versa Gripps, so I hope we can zoom thru the back workout easily - instead of waiting for her to wrap herself in with those long straps, that never seem to be tight enough.

Girl I wish I had you as a partner!

Tonight at the end of our workout, my partner made the comment that I was trying to kill her today. . . slowly.....LOL!!!! I only ask that she stay up with me (at least most of the time) - and not in weight, just doing the reps and sets.

So be careful what you wish for! Someone could be just around the corner!

I have been doing this for a long time. I use to do comps in 1999, 2000, and 2001 - and though I stopped doing comps, I stayed in the gym and lifted (it is my zen). It was only finding this partner who moved to my town last year, and we met in the autumn at my gym, and her philosophy of bigger is the best resonated with me (she also was a comp girl during those years) and we both said 'why not? lets see if we can do another show!' and away we have gone.

My best years were a good lifting partner. I train alone now, or sometimes with one of my son's cute lil 23 yr old friend ( I will not touch, I will not touch, I will not do)...but nothing compares to the "right" training partner. Kudos to finding that pairing and gosh that is a hella hella lot of weight woman! Sweet! How is the "cutting" going?

Back and Triceps was yesterday. It was a good workout for a Saturday (talking to people made it harder - not just people in the gym, but the cell phones were turned on in case someone needed us for something - which they did!). My partner liked the Versa Gripps, but being new they needed to be broken in and learning how to use them, so that added some time on to our workout. Still we got some new PB in this workout. So far I am loving the one day on/ one day off with cardio routine. Gives the body time to adjust to the decrease in carb calories, and repair from the usual heavy workout. We still have one more day on with Chest and Biceps. So I will do this one more time and see if it is good for my body (the weights stay up, and the weight starts to drop).

HammerStrength Back Row/Pulldown . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Overhead Cable Tricep Extension (fulcrum at waist level)

Warmup: 50/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warmup: 50/25, 80/25

90/15, 100/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90/18, 110/12

140/8~2, 140/8(a new PB). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 120/8 (so hard, it took a breath to execute each extension - a new PB!)

Still-Legged Deadlift . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tricep Rope Pressdown

Warmup: 50/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Warmup: 90/25

90/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110/13~2

140/8 (old PB) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .130/8 (shaking alot on the last reps, using the breath to beat the rope down - old PB)

Machine Back Row (Upper Grip) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Assisted Dips

Warmup: 90/25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 85/25 (from 180, that is 95 that I am actually doing)

150/15, 180/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55/15, 40/12 (getting to the 6-8 rep range)

240/8~2, 255/6+2 (a new PB) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25/8 (not going to do the bodyweight today - too tired)

Lat Pulldowns using neutral grip widebar . . . . . . . . . . . . . DB Kickbacks (both DBs at the same time -alot harder to do says my partner)

Warmup: 90/25 (easy) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Warmup: 12.5/15, breath break, 10, to get the 25 reps in

120/15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15/15

135/10+2 (so fatigued. can't do the PB of 165/8) . . . . . . . . . . 20/8 (PB is 20/12)

Had a protein shake - was really shaky at this point. Knew I was going fast, and still had Upright Rows to go. Had a nice long break (5 minutes) on the phone talking, and then I finished up the session with upright rows.

Upright Rows

Warmup: Bar/25, 10/20

20/15

30/10

and called it quits right there.

It is now Rest day. I am trying to decide what to do for cardio. The sun is coming out, but it still is so cold. Maybe I should just brave the elements and go trail jogging ? - the paved part is cleared of snow and ice from the rain we had three days ago. Or go to a yoga class? or do something else? I am alittle excited at the possiblities!

I only missed one period during my peak (my prime show that I shoot for originally), but all the others were really easy and light when I had that low bodyfat. It was awesome! As soon as I started to eat after the comps, the periods went right back to what they were before.

I hate to say it, but the other thing that I liked about being at that low bodyfat is that I can go without a bra! I do not have implants, so I get to a nice size A cup (coming from a D cup right now, that sounds like heaven to me - the straps really dig in to my shoulders right now as I run with the two workout bras on).

I opted for a trail walk in the late afternoon, and a HIIT on the elliptical this morning for my rest day. Yoga will be on my choice next time. But if they make me do an eagle pose, I will just do a tree I think. My thighs are not going to go around each other! I don't even think I can. . . let me try a minute. . . well I can cross my legs . . but I have to focus on pushing them together to stay!

You ever have days where you think you are so big, and the next day you feel scrawny? I guess what I mean is that I feel really fat today, but yet I feel like I have along way to go to get big to be a bodybuilder. I will just hold on to the fact that I lost 2 pounds since the 1st (5 days) and be happy about that small little thing. Hold on to the positive (no matter how small) amongst the many dark negative forces that keep me down!

Yeah i go back and forth about how i feel about my size. in the middle of posing class amongst a bunch of men (im the only woman) my coach was like "lauren, you know youre gonna lose your boobs right?" haha. fine with me. i dont understand bodybuilders who get implants, mostly because i knew a girl who got implants and she wasnt a bb but she said it hurt to lift her arms up, so how are you supposed to keep lifting if all your shit is torn!? thats insane.

Awesome Chest and Bicep supersetting workout - so hard to do heavy weights when supersetting! Going to go back to our usual routine of doing one exercise for the bodypart, and then switching to the next bodypart's exercises. Still going to keep Legs with Delts on one day next week for our workout routine. We are now doing one day on, one day off, and on the off day - we are doing cardio. Today's cardio was spinning. Yeah, not a fan. My quads were screaming, and even locked up on me while I attempted to go fast in hover mode! Ouch! Sat down on the seat, just as my shoes came out of the toe clips, and with them still going round and round - I waited for my quads to stop cramping! And this all happen within 10 minutes! I was able to stay on the bike for the whole 45 minutes, but it will be awhile before I even LIKE this cardio. I now know why the girls who do the spinning classes keep asking me how to get their quads bigger - my answer will be to stop doing spinning! I can see how that much work on the quads will tone them down to nothing!

I've been going to the gym and doing whatever I want lately. I still do the three workout sessions - Delts/Legs, Back/Triceps, and Chest/Biceps, with a rest day in between the sessions (one day on/one day off). I have been doing cardio whenever I get bored, in the morning, and on the day off. I have been putting my meals on the LiveStrong.com, and I was doing great except for the day that I started my menses. Oh well, one day blown. I did an extra deficit of carbs the next day, and an extra cardio.

My partner said that I looked big the day after my binge, and I credited it to carb loading. She was also pretending to be mad that I looked so much bigger than her. I told her that if she didn't wimp out lifting the heavy weights so much! LOL! This is going to be interesting how this partnership is going to make it thru dieting. I know that I am bigger than her, but she has a thin waist and will always have nice breasts (no matter how much she diets - implants that look real). She also loses weight easily (already down to 139! from 145) and I will have to fight for every ounce I lose. We both have really good points, and we have been thru dieting and comps before. We are both mature enough to recognize jealousy, and use it to our advantage to inspire us on, not put each other down while trying to put ourselves up on top. It doesn't work that way. You just end up both being down - because the bad days do come more frequently during dieting/comp time, and it isn't fun being alone during those times. Who else can you vent to, and truly understand what you are going thru? Besides, I already have a come back retort that I use when guys say to me that "I don't think I like you being bigger than me" - "oh really, then you better get lifting the heavy weights then! because this girl isn't going to get smaller for nobody!"

• 2 weeks later...

You know what is really awesome? Going into Lululemon and trying on their bras in their fitting rooms! They had the three way mirrors, and I got to see my backside intimately. It is so huge! Even though I tried on their biggest size, it still was so small around my chest and back (there is no adjustment for the width with those workout bras). It inspired me to keep on dieting more!

Found my Vibrams in the sandal box, and started treadmill jogging (5.0 mph) in them again. My achilles tendon hurt at first, but it went away after 10 minutes of jogging or so. My whole calf hurts the day after of course. And I double up on the workout bras - getting such a rash under the bustline from all the friction of the bra moving - ever since I went vegan, my skin has been super sensitive to any rubbing action on it - the layers of skin seem to peel off easily.

Leg day today. Separated Delt/Leg day into two days - leg day and delt day - as we were too fatigue to give the second bodypart any credit to lifting after doing the first bodypart. Legs is such a big bodypart to workout as it is, and Delts respond best with many rep/set - going for the burn - when building them up. Still am at my PBs on the weights for Legs so far. And the new Lying Leg Curl is awesome! My hammies are in such pain when I do little ROM at the top of the execution of the machine. Pulse for 25! Mmmm, such lovely pain!