HellBentForPleather's Training & Nutrition Journal

heavy metal does help!!!

Pls lets touch base in person if you need to! Shoeing up is half the work & on days when we are tiered just getting there can be hard!! Just focus on the moment & nothing else, plus you will always feel better in some way after a workout!!

xoxoxo

Great job loging everything!

AlliB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alli!!! I've been tired and really sad, but I keep showing up and plugging away one day at a time.

I took a rest day yesterday, even though I soooo did not want to!

Food today:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, 2 t almond butter, 1 cup almond milk, 1 apple

S: pro bar

L: very big veggie filled salad with 1/2 can black beans, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1 tbs dressing mixed with salsa

S: vega shake & go protein shake with 1 cup almond milk, handful of roasted peanuts (starving!!!!)

*workout*

D: black beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, peppers, onions, avocado, salsa

S: not sure yet...might be fruit & soy yogurt...still crazy hungry!

Workout:

LEGS

10 min warmup + Vega pre-workout crack

leg extensions on roc it machine 12reps/level 3 10/level 4 8/level 5 6/level 6

hamstring curls 12reps/35# 10/40 8/45 6/50

Smith machine lunges with 2 10# plates, 3 sets of 10 reps each leg

Glute machine 12 reps each leg/30# 10/50 8/70 6/90 (uggggh!)

We had a few more exercises we wanted to do, but the gym was crazy crowded and not enough room to do what I wanted to do. Therefore, we did:

cardio: 15 minutes of hell on the stepmill, just because I really wanted to torture myself! intervals of level 3 and level 4.

5 min cool down

I have been beastly hungry all day and it is kind of getting on my nerves. I'm sure it's just my body getting used to doing more and lifting heavier. It will pass. I am not going to deny myself food, but I am going to try to keep it as clean and as nourishing as possible without overeating. Sometimes, honestly, I am afraid to eat.

The good thing is that my body already feels more firm after just 3 weeks of heavier lifting and stepmill (the worst thing ever!!!).

Maria

Food:

B: 1/2 cup grape nuts, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 cup blueberries, 1 vegan sausage

S: vega shake w/ 1 cup almond milk

L: hummus, watercress, peppers, persian cukes, pea sprouts on ezekiel, apple

S: pro bar, almond milk cafe au lait (no sugar!)

D: tofu, kale waldorf salad, heavenly 5 grain salad

Workout:

Back/rear delts/abs

5 min warm up

Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Pull Downs

12/70# 10/90# 8/110# 6/130#

3 sets of 15 swiss ball crunches

3 sets, 8 reps, 30# bent over DB rows

3 sets 15 reps swiss ball crunches

3 sets, 12 reps 25# rear delt thing of which I do not know the name!

2 sets 15 reps frog crunches

3 sets 8 reps 20# rear delt machine (AKA pec dec backwards!)

20 min cardio, treadmill

I can't believe the challenge is coming to an end! I have definitely met my goals of hitting the gym at least 4 times a week and logging at least 5 times a week. I feel really good! Strong and focused! I've decided that I am going to also commit to logging 4 workouts a week for February, too! At least four days a week of strength training for February...

Maria

Last workout of the week!

Chest/Delts

Man, I needed a spotter tonight

5 min warmup

Flat bench press with Olympic bar

12 reps/ bar 10 reps/bar + 10# 8 reps/ bar +20# 6 reps/bar + 25#

Overhead BB shoulder press 4 sets 6 reps 40#

Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Incline Chest press 4 sets 8 reps 50#

DB lat raises ran the rack 12.5#, 10#, 7.5#, 5#, 3# all to failure

Cardio: dreaded and vile stepmill 15 min plus 5 min cooldown intervals of level 3 and level 5

Food:

B: vegan sausage, fresh blueberries, 2 organic high fiber whole grain vegan pancakes, 2 tsp coconut oil

L: big ass salad, homemade vegan green goddess dressing, 1 gardein ultimate burger with mushroom & onions, 1 small pc homemade oil free whole grain vegan cornbread, coffee with 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

S: builder's bar, pu-errh chai tea (unsweetened)

D: 1/2 can black beans, 1/2 cup brown rice, salsa, 2 cups mixed spinach, red peppers & yellow squash cooked with veggie broth & garlic, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, squeeze of lime

S: 6 oz strawberries

Very tired. Bedtime!

Maria

Well, it's my last workout for January! It's been an awesome month, despite challenges and sadness. I'm getting my bodybuilding calluses back on my hands and that makes me happy

Bi/tri/abs

5 sets 20 swiss ball crunches

4x8 40# ez bar curls

DB overhead tri press 12 repsx20# 10x22.5 8x25 6x30

DB hammer curls 4x8 15#

dips machine 4x8 70#

15 min cardio, running late and had to leave!

Last day of January! Total rest day for me...I went to see Rip Esselstyn speak tonight and it was fantastic! I feel so inspired and grateful to be vegan.

Food:

B: green smoothie, ezekiel toast with 1 tbs peanut butter

L: lentil soup, pc vegan cornbread, big ass salad with oil free green goddess dressing

S: builder's bar

D: black bean burger with veggies and avocado on whole wheat, baked chips

S: plain unsweetened soy yogurt with fresh raspberries

Collapsing into a tired vegan heap!

Tomorrow is legs, whoo hoo!

I am going to continue logging at least 4 days a week for February. Since I am turning 42 this month, I feel like I owe it to myself to keep going. Why not keep the ball rolling?

Maria

First workout of February!

Back/Hamstrings/Glutes

4 sets 8 reps 25# bent over DB rows

Bosu bridges 3 sets 10 reps each leg (body weight only)

4 sets 8 reps 70# lat pull

Hamstring curls 12/35# 10/40# 8/50# 6/65#

Cable rows 12/35# 10/40 8/45 6/50

"Crab crawls" with band

Single leg leg presses, no rest between sets 3 sets 10 40#

Rear delts on pec dec machine 4 sets 8 reps 20#

20 min treadmill intervals

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, 2 tbs peanut butter, 1 apple

L: kale superfoods salad, california quinoa salad, 1 slice field roast, cellnique green drink

S: medium almond milk latte, greens plus bar

S: 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1 cup almond milk

D: 2 slices ezekiel toast, spinach, pea sprouts, tempeh, apple

Maria

Active rest day--- yoga for me.

Food:

B: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 tbs flax meal, 1 oz walnuts, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 scoop protein powder

L: apple, 2 slices ezekiel toast, spinach, pea sprouts, tempeh

S: 1 cup soy yogurt, 1 cup raspberries, 1 tbs flax meal

D: Soul Bowl: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 can black eyed peas, 5 cups collards/kale/mustard/turnip greens, BBq sauce (organicville sweetened with agave)

S: rye crips, oil free hummus

Maria

Hey Maria! Great job on your journaling! As one of the VB&F team members, I can tell you that the prize packages we'll be sending out soon will be awesome! We'll be preparing and shipping the packages beginning next week. You've done a really great job. Were you able to reach your goals during the month of January?

All the best!

Karen

Hi Karen! Thanks for your post

It's funny, I stuck to my schedule and showed up and worked really hard. For the first time in a long time I did not see the two pounds a week weight loss on the scale that I've gotten used to, but I did notice a dramatic difference in muscle tone and my clothes got looser. I also developed more strength and endurance. Hey, I'm happy with that! I don't want to be a flabby, saggy, huffin' and puffin' 42 year old. Would I rather see numbers on the scale or a firmer, more muscular and healthier body? It's a process and it takes as much time as it takes. I think my body is going through a little adjustment period, and I'm not that worried about it. I might have forty or fifty more pounds to lose, but I am accepting that it will come off as it is supposed to if I keep eating clean and hitting the gym. This is not a race. I'm in it for the long haul!

This month's goals: still getting in 4 weight training workouts a week plus cardio. Yoga at least twice a week. Trying some new things, like a few home workouts to change it up. I would also like to start doing some hiking for cardio since it's starting to warm up a little bit here in Vegas. Cleaning up my food a little bit more, too.

Trusting the process,

Maria

Holy CRAP I was tired on Friday! My SIL and I were both feeling exhausted. I didn't want to work out at all, but we went to the gym together for cardio---15 min treadmill intervals and 15 minutes on the Stepmill (I hate that freaking machine, but I am determined to master it!) with a 5 min cooldown. Not my best workout, but I showed up and did it.

Persistence not Perfection,

Maria

Another day of total fatigue...it's hormonal. I hate it! This getting old sh$t is for the birds.

Food:

B: 1/2 cup grape nuts, 1 cup almond milk, 1 oz almonds, 1 apple

L: awesome lunch at our local vegan restaurant, Pura Vida: vegan chili, amazing salad, vegan garden "quesadillas" (amazingly healthy and loaded with veggies, actually), cafe sin leche

S: protein bar, apple

D: white bean and kale soup, big salad with sesame tahini dressing at WFM

S: unsweetened soy yogurt with strawberries and flax meal

S: 1 slice ezekiel toast with 2 tbs peanut butter (starving!!!)

Workout:

Biggest loser bootcamp DVD at home, which kicked my ASS, followed by Jennifer Kries Yin Yoga DVD and then some very chilled out Buddhist meditation and chanting.

M

The best thing about the Superbowl? The gym is dead! Unfortunately, I only had time for a short workout today which is probably for the best. I feel like I am getting a sinus infection

Chest/delts

5 min warm up

4 sets 8 reps flat DB press 25# dumbells

DB shoulder press 12 respsx15# 10x17.5# 8x20# 6x22.5

Incline HammerStrength Iso Lateral Chest Press 4 sets 8 reps 50#

DB lateral raises 3 sets 8 reps 12# dumbells

Going to do some yoga later tonight to help me sleep...provided I can actually bend over without feeling like something is stabbing me in the eyeball!

Maria

Thank you so much, Karen!

I am taking a much needed rest day today...my sinuses are really on the verge of super nasty infection time, so I am just taking it easy tonight. Tomorrow is another day!

B: 1/2 cup Bob's multigrain apple cinnamon hot cereal, 1 oz walnuts, 1 cup almond milk

L: two portobello poblano tacos with avocado on corn tortillas, pinto beans

S: 3 kavali crisps with oil-free hummus

D: massive amount of veggies (red pepper, yellow squash, broccoli, mustard greens, kale, collards AND spinach), 1/2 can black beans, 1/2 cup mixed black & brown rice (yum!), 3 T vegan fat free queso, mango salsa and 1/2 of an avocado, 6 oz mixed berries

S: 1 scoop nitrofusion, 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 banana

I realized that I have now been living in Las Vegas six years as of today!

Snuggling up with my dog and going to bed now...will not get sick will not get sick will not get sick...

M

Man, I got so behind on logging this week!

Took Monday off, sinuses were too icky. Feeling better now and just accepting that yes, it's February and it's already allergy season in Vegas! Taking my herbs and enzymes and logging in serious time with the neti pot...

5 min warm up

4 sets 6 reps 40# EZ curl BB

4 sets 8 reps 25# DB overhead triceps press

4 sets 8 reps 15# Db hammer curls

4 sets 8 reps 50# triceps rope pressdowns

30 min cardio with sister in law!

M

5 min on elliptical for warm up

leg extensions on the bizarre roc it machine

12/4 10/5 8/6 6/7

Hamstring curls 12/40# 10/45# 8/50# 6/60#

Smith machine lunges, bar plus 20# 3 sets 10 each leg

Glute kickback machine 12/60# 10/80# 8/90# 6/100# (ugh!)

3 super sets of box step ups/medicine ball sumo squats no rest 12 reps each leg/set

20 min low key cardio on treadmill because I was thrashed!

We moved really fast between sets and didn't take much rest.

I decided to take two days off from the gym in a row on Thurs/Friday, which I haven't done in awhile. I had a date last night (gasp!) and I seriously thought for a hot minute that I'd rather be at the gym than on a date! I'm crazy.

And thanks for the well wishes Karen!

Maria

The date was nice! We will see what happens...I keep wishing for a vegan man to materialize out of the ether, but it hasn't happened yet! As long as they don't run screaming when the fact that I am vegan comes up, then I am ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Today was chest/delts...

5 min warm up

4 sets 8 reps 25# DB's, flat chest press

DB shoulder press 12 repsx15#, 10 repsx17.5#, 8 repsx20#, 6 repsx22.5#

Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Incline Press---the rotten boys had hogged all of the 25# plates, so I was forced to use the 35's

3 sets 6 reps 70# (yow!)

Db lateral raises 4 sets 8 reps with 13# DB's, super set with 4 sets of 20 swiss ball crunches

20 minutes treadmill intervals

5 min cooldown

Here's me at the gym in the middle of shoulders...this is as close to full body as I could get. Gotta get a friend to take some pics. I am sporting my favorite "Shut Up and Train" t-shirt, tho

179312543_ShutupandtrainFeb2012.jpg.0975bff47f0bef24c3f79b89914c885b.jpg