Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am 
Elephant

vegansludge wrote:
John V - I think I'm going to go on the last day to watch the Strongman/woman competitions! Are you thinking of going?
Yes. I'm planning to go at least for the last day. The strength stuff was very fun last time. I'd like to get a small group togetherfrom here. I'll keep in touch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 pm 
Gorilla

lawsonsj wrote:
I've been following your journal whenever I can and checking in with your blog and youtube videos when I can and just wanted to say nice job :boxer: You are making some real progress and I love your updates. I wish this forum was around when I started lifting (about 20 years ago) it would have been nice to see other women that want to build muscle. Any just wanted to say hi, oh and I always eat right before I workout and these days it's usually a lot of fruit.

Thank you for the kind words! And I completely agree about the forum - while I haven't been lifting as long, I wish I'd known about this community when I first got into fitness a few years ago. It would have saved me a lot of time that I wasted sweating it out on cardio machines when I should have been picking up the bar. It's also been awesome to find other strong women who have similar goals - something I've had a hard time with since graduating college.
Oh! I started following you on Twitter and saw that you're a sociologist - if I could, I'd high-five you.

John V wrote:
vegansludge wrote:
John V - I think I'm going to go on the last day to watch the Strongman/woman competitions! Are you thinking of going?
Yes. I'm planning to go at least for the last day. The strength stuff was very fun last time. I'd like to get a small group togetherfrom here. I'll keep in touch.

Definitely keep me posted - I most certainly want to go.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
Gorilla

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:23 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Girl, you rock.

That is all. For the moment.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am 
Rabbit

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Girl, you rock.

That is all. For the moment.

What he said :boxer: :popcorn:

Sandra's Personal Training & Nutrition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 pm 
Gorilla

You both are far too generous! Seriously. :oops:

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:27 pm 
Gorilla

Outwork/QvC: Day IV
Arm and Chest Hypertrophy (aka Letting My Inner Bro Out)

So, early yesterday, I found myself standing in my kitchen, chomping on some pre-OW Cap’n Crunch in front of my iPhone, when suddenly the rage I spoke of on Thursday abruptly resurfaced. The reason? Earlier that morning, I read a NPR article covering a topic I felt compelled to use as the “subject” of Friday’s v-log. However, as I don’t “script out” my videos, I simply started running off at the mouth, becoming more impassioned and increasingly, well, angry. I’m still undecided of how I want to edit the video before I upload it as, while I do believe in what I said, I don’t think I was as articulate as I would have liked nor do I know if this particular experiment is the best medium to express such opinions. We shall see as I work on it tonight.
With that said, the combination of sugary cereal and opinionated rage was a pretty fitting fuel for such a bro-heavy session as arm and chest hypertrophy.

Dumbbell bench press (speed work)
6x3x25
Notes: Maybe 3 seconds of rest in between each set. Beast mode.

Incline dumbbell bench press

3x10x20
Notes: Took about forty-five seconds from flat press to switch to these. Felt like a champ afterwards.

Chest press

3x12x60
Notes: Harder than I expected but nothing a lot of grimacing couldn’t make easier.

Cable flyes

2x20x30
Notes: I don’t know how this happened.

High cable curls

12x30
10x30
15x20
Notes: As much as I like these, I don’t know how beneficial they actually are. Curls bore me.

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment

12x110
15x110
Notes: Maybe it was the Cap’n and all of that sugar, but it most certainly felt like my triceps were going to blow up after finishing these.

Concentration curls

15x15
10x15
Notes: Switched out hammers for these since that’s what Layne actually calls for in the PHAT outline and I legitimately struggled with them. Feltbad.

Cable kickbacks

12x10
10x10
Notes: After the pushdowns, I tried these with 20 and couldn’t reach full extension. Next time.

Ez-bar curls

18x40
20x40
Notes: Curls bore me but I wailed on these. Maybe those bros do know a thing or two about blowing up some steam.

Seated tricep extensions

20x10
Notes: I threw these in because of the lower weight on the cable kickbacks. When I finished the set, I found myself questioning the existence of my upper extremities.

And what bro-day wouldn’t be complete with some ab-work …

Hanging leg raises
3x12

Dumbbell side bends
25x30

Cruches

Post-OW Assessment

Crunch is still going strong – no heaviness, no drag, just steady energy and intensity throughout.

Macros
~50/133/220

Estimated a bit on dinner since I went out for Indian food with the lady so, in reality, my intake was probably a bit higher. Not that worried about it since I’ve been holding at a steady 122 forever, something I plan on logging about this weekend.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:26 am 
Gorilla

02.04.12 Outwork Day/QvC: Day V
Shoulders and back hypertrophy

“The last straw;” “the tipping point;” “over the edge.” These clichés are not typically part of my vernacular – their overuse has rendered them meaningless and, usually, when people employ them to preface a situation they’re about to describe, I immediately believe whatever it is they’re about to unveil isn’t really that bad. If it were, they wouldn’t need to use an idiom to explain its significance – their retelling, regardless of its simplicity or straightforwardness, would suffice. Today, however, was all of those things and, as I do not wish to go into great detail regarding why this was the case (as I don’t really want to be unprofessional), I am putting my foot in my mouth and allowing those clichés to speak for me. I suppose I can say this, though: today truly tested my ability to keep my head and, even though it was difficult, I believe I passed with decent marks.
Instead of flying off the cuff, I used what could have been a potentially nasty blow up and turned into energy to expel under the fluorescent lights of a nearly empty Saturday night gym session. I think this was the best choice.

Pre-OW
Previous night's sleep: 8 hours.
Motivation: Crush.
Energy: Kill.
Mentality: Destroy
Weight: 122lb flat

Outwork
Rack chins
3x12
Notes: First set with the bar about a foot off the ground; second set with the bar just below my waist; last set with the bar just at my waist.

Seated cable rows
2x15x90
Notes: These feel better every time I do them and running them along with the one-armed dumbbell rows definitely makes saying goodbye (temporarily) to barbell rows a little easier.

Standing barbell shoulder press (speed work)

5x45
4x3x55
1x55
2x55
Notes: Not 70% of my max but I’ve found that the more I push myself on these, they more progress I’ve been seeing. However, I really would like to hit higher numbers on my standing dumbbell press so I might be switching out for those on hypertrophy days.

One-arm dumbbell rows

2x15x25
Notes: I actually really, really like these. I could probably handle higher weight but I’d rather not risk anything with my back until I’ve given myself proper time to recovery.

Close grip-lateral pulldowns

2x15x70
Notes: I felt strong as fuck doing these because I used to struggle to get 35 down for 10 reps.

Dumbbell side lateral raise

15x25
12x20
Notes: Definite improvement on these – ROM is so much better on the 25s than when I was previously using that weight.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press

2x12x20
Notes: I cannot fucking get the 25s up for anything, most likely because of the barbell speed work. We’ll see when I switch out for the dumbbells, I guess.

Upright cable rows

2x15x90
Notes: Cable anything always feels like a cop-out but doing these with dumbbells always tweaks out my elbows. Thinking about removing them altogether, to be honest, but I’m not sure what I’d replace them with.

Cable shrugs

12x190
15x190
Notes: Okay, cable shrugs don’t feel like a cop-out because, in comparison to using the barbell, I feel these more since, like I’ve noted, I’m not using any part of my arms to pull. However, I’m going to try and start using the dumbbells to make sure these are “legit” numbers. Though I don’t really know how the fuck I’m going to pick up two 90lbers.

Shoulder press machine

10x50
11x50
Notes: Because I felt like it.

Seated rows

2x10x80
Notes: Because I wanted to see if these aggravated my lower back at all. They didn’t. But machines make me feel even dirtier than cables.

Post-OW Assessment
The v-log from today will highlight this but I was ravenously hungry before hitting the gym and ended up devouring my pre-WO Cap’n in about two minutes and I ended up hitting the gym about 17 minutes after the fact. It didn’t even occur to me that it could have affected my performance because, after such a brutal day, all I wanted to do was hit the iron and get in my zone. If anything, I had more energy today after working eight hours and slamming my pre-OW than I have any other day. Another thumbs up to the Cap’n for sure.

Macros/Nutrition
55/140/200
I’d also like to note that I’ve been getting hungrier, mostly after working out, but also upon waking – two time periods where, in recent months, hunger hasn’t been an issue.

Misc.

I’ve become relatively obsessed with this website: http://idigcerealkillers.blogspot.com/
and would, if I were prone to such things, pick up a copy of the book when published. However, since I’m not, I’m just going to continue looking through the blog archieves when I feel like procrastinating from video editing. Definitely worth checking out for sheer entertainment/awesomness.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:36 pm 
Gorilla

The episode in which you learn a little bit more about me ...

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:50 pm 

Nice, that one will give me something to watch later today. You are very entertaining to watch, never thought I would be laughing along to someone eating and talking in their car for 5+ minutes ?! Keep up the great work MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm 
Gorilla

02.05.12 Restless Day

Days like today are why I, for the last ten years of my life, have understood why the Descendents penned the album Everything Sucks and why Satre said, “Hell is other people.” Sadly, these affirmations did little to alleviate the ever-increasing sense of discontent I’ve been feeling regarding my “professional” life as it is the source of my disgruntle beliefs; or, put much more bluntly, I hate my job.

While I haven’t come to a conclusion about how I’m going to rectify this, uh, minor issue, I have made some more concrete decisions regarding my training.

When I did my PHAT One Month recap, I set certain guidelines and goals for myself, including my target macros and potential future training programs. I’m currently in the process of solidifying these plans which will be detailed in a post I hope to have sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Other than that, this restless day was un-noteworthy. I listened the tail end of the Super Bowl on the radio after work (hell yeah, Giants) had a couple of beers, some popcorn, and that’s about it. Oh, I did partake in my favorite Dorado past-time: drinking in the shower after a long day at work (thanks for teaching me this one, dad).

Macros: 14/125/70 before drinking and popcorn; ended up in a deficit because I don't like hitting my calories with booze - that's not why I drink

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:49 pm 
Gorilla

Outwork Day:QvC: Day VI

Another day; some more Crunch. Longer update later today.

Pre-OW
Previous night’s sleep: 8 hours.
Motivation: My shitty job.
Energy: Pumped like a tire.
Mentality: See above.
Weight: 122lb flat

Outwork
Leg extension warm-up
10x50
10x60

Barbell squat
5x135
5x155
5x165
4x170
2x3x175
1x175
Notes: I think I said I wasn't going to keep adding weight to these but on the third rep of the 170, I knew I had at least 2 reps at 175 in me - there was no doubt in my mind about it. The fact that I got 2x3, however, was a bit of a surprise. The reason there's a loner at the end was because, after the last set of three, I asked a guy who had been "nonchalantly" watching me if I was at least hitting parallel and he said I was breaking it. So I shot one last rep to see if this was true.

Leg press

6x400
6x420
6x430
Notes: I can't even ...

[i]Stiff-legged deadlifts

8x115
8x120
8x125
Notes: Moving these to power days because it doesn't make sense to try move heavy weight on squats and deads in the same day and I can't believe I've been trying to do that for so long.

[i]Seated calf raises

10x185
10x190
Notes: I saw stars. Okay, not really, but my calves might have.

Leg extensions

10x110
10x120
Notes: By not focusing on the lock out, my knees don't hate these any more.

Leg curls

10x90
7x100
3x90
Notes:

Calf press on leg press machine

10x190
2x10x205

Post-OW Assessment
Cap’n Crunch = PR’s. Not, but in all seriousness, this was one of the best sessions I've had in quite some time.
Also, moving traditional deads to hypertrophy day made leg presses that much better. Hopefully deads also see improvement.

Macros
~47/153/207

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 pm 
Gorilla

Outwork Day:QvC: Day VII

No intro. Working on longer update right now; just wanted to throw these up here before I forgot.

Standing barbell shoulder press
5x45
5x55
5x60
2x65
2x60
Notes: Wider grip for these this time around to see how much joints felt. They found it agreeable; my muscles, not so much.

Barbell bench press

5x45
5x60
5x70
4x75
3x80
Notes: Focused strictly on form for these, making the lighter weight more taxing than adding any. Left the fifth rep of 75 in the tank to go for 80 at the prompting of a gentleman who kindly agreed to spot me. Definitely thought I was only going to get the one rep in but having him there pushed me to bang out another two. Thanks, mate.

Assisted pull-ups

1x80
9x90
10x90
Notes: Weight increases here for this many reps. They’re still a struggle but I can feel them getting stronger.

Assisted dips

3x70
7x80
10x80
Notes: Same as with the pull-ups. Probably could have even went with 60 if I hadn’t pushed myself so hard on bench press.

Rack chins

2x10
Notes: First set from the lowest place the bar could go – ass hitting the floor with each rep – second set from just below the knees. These are a fucking doozy but I love how I feel afterward.

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment

10x100
12x110
8x130
Notes: If I hadn’t gone for 12 on the 120, I could have gotten the 10 on the 130. That said, I had some guys mirin’ these enough to get a ‘bro nod’ – what has my life become?

EZ-Bar curl

10x60
10x50
10x40
Notes: No weight or rep increase; focusing on making sure I keep my back and ass against the wall getting full ROM. For aesthetics, of course.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press

25x8
2x10x20
Notes: I will get the 25s for standing on hypertrophy day. I will get the 25s for standing on hypertrophy day. I will get the 25s for standing on hypertrophy day.

Post-OW Assessment
*Insert photo of me giving the thumbs-up for the hundredth time.

Macros
~41/164/220
I didn’t track some swigs of almond and hemp milk so that probably put me at 2,000.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:33 pm 

Holy crap girl, good workout. That volume would kill me, I'd be more of a blubbering mess than I am now !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Holy crap girl, good workout. That volume would kill me, I'd be more of a blubbering mess than I am now !!

Thanks! I will admit, the first week I ran PHAT like it was supposed to be, with all of the assistance work with the designated sets/reps, I felt a little rough. But I'm a big fan of high volume which I think is why I was drawn to the program in the first place. However, I'm really itching to start 5/3/1 so I think I'm going to cut the cycle down by two weeks.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next