new year, new training log

Aw shucks you guys!

Ugh, this weekend has sucked food and exercise wise. I finished up my manuscript edits, then I managed to pick up a bit of freelance ghost-writing stuff with a tight turnaround. Writing hurts my brain, I haven't done it in so long.

BUT right now I am going to go to the farmers market, come home, go for a run with the husband (who is super excited about it, never thought I'd see the day), then make some healthy nachos (and probably drink not healthy beer) and watch the game.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should! Talk about ghost writing that is. This is my first time doing much ghost writing and I'm so-so on it. I'm finishing up my first few jobs now and I definitely didn't charge enough. Oh well, live and learn.

Boo Giants! I wasn't that invested in the game, but I really don't like Eli Manning, he seems smarmy and I can't stand that trait in folks.

Oh, also husband did better on the run! We went around 2 miles and he walked a lot less, but he was running pretty slowly toward the end. But next weekend he wants to run 5K (not a race, just us). He's still only planning on running once a week, but that's infinitely better than the 0 times a week he was exercising before.

06/02/12:

7 rounds of:

5 DB deadlifts

5 DB hang cleans

5 DB push presses

5 DB squats

used 20 lb DBs...the rest I could go heavier on, but not the push presses. Took some rest between rounds. I forgot to time myself, d'oh.

I didn't feel like my hang cleans were quite right, I need to go watch some more Youtube vids.

07/02/12:

3.1 miles in 30:14. Effort wasn't quite a TT, but it was getting pretty close.

Once again during cooldown I had that ache in my surgery foot. I tried my best not to limp and it was gone by the time I was done cooling down.

I might try for 4 miles later this week. I need to slow it down though so I'm not panting by the end. Every run isn't a TT. I just need to get used to my new pace.

Thanks! I was actually pretty happy with my time this morning! 3 months ago I still couldn't walk, and now I'm running 5K, the human body is so amazing!

Re: hubby running - I hope it's a habit, too! I'm super pumped about it! Truth be told I think he's having a bit of an age-related crisis (he's 32) and realizing he's not a spring chicken and needs to start taking care of himself.

Re: hang cleans - The whole set (i.e., deadlift, hang cleans, push press, squats) was supposed to be using the same set of DBs without putting the DBs down. If I increased the weight then I wouldn't be able to do the push presses. I think I just need to watch some more videos online and practice the movement. I'm trying to get more dynamic weight lifting into my routine this week. I'll probably go back to a heavier, less dynamic 3x week full body routine next week.

08/02/12:

5 rounds of:

1 min. right hand DB snatch

1 min. left hand DB snatch

1 min. right hand DB clean and jerk

1 min. left hand DB clean and jerk

1 min. DB crunch

1 min. rest

Weights used: 15, 20, 20, 25, 25

Good thing nobody was near me, sweat was flying everywhere. I couldn't see toward the end because I had so much sweat in my eyes. Hardcore.

That's a good idea!

Wow, I fell off of the tracking bandwagon.

11/02/12:

3.1 mile run with husband...38:54. He only had to stop and walk once, which is awesome. It was overcast and cool, so I think that really helped. All weekend he talked about how much he enjoyed the run.

12/02/12:

No formal workout. Went for walk...probably around 2.75 miles or so, didn't actually track it.

13/02/12:

Back to 3x/week full body so I can fit in more running. I felt really strong this morning.

DB squat (DBs on shoulders):

25 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

(tried 35s but I can't get them up to my shoulders)

DB bench:

30 x 8

30 x 7

30 x 6

One-arm DB row:

35 x 10

40 x 6 (PR)

40 x 6

Hammer curls:

20 x 10

25 x 5 (PR)

25 x 2 (fail)

Overhead extension:

25 x 10

30 x 8

30 x 8

50 DB kettlebell swings (with 25lb DB)

Arms were pretty shaky afterward...I'm going to have some wicked DOMS tomorrow.

17/02/12:

Blah day. Feeling like I want to crawl into bed.

DB split squats:

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

Ugh, these are still so hard to do!

incline DB bench press:

25 x 10

25 x 7

25 x 5

lat pulldown:

45 x 10

60 x 8

60 x 8

35 kettlebell swings with 30lb DB

45 sec plank (this was super hard right after kettlebell swings)

I wasn't at the gym for very long, but at least I went. I wanted to sit on my butt and be lazy instead. Although I did that afterward, I at least went to the gym first.

18/02/12:

Rest day. No workout, but I did a lot of housework and went for a walk.

19/02/12:

Run with husband. 4.53 miles in 1:03. I am so incredibly in awe/jealous of how quickly he has been able to increase his distance! I keep his pace at about 4.5 mph and that seems right for him...keeps him so he can talk and isn't quickly out of breath.

20/02/12:

10 rounds of:

5 DB deadlifts

5 DB hang cleans

5 DB push press

5 DB squats

…with 20 lb DBs.

I rested after every 2 rounds. Total time (including rest) was 17:29. My shoulders were definitely feeling it.

60 sec. plank hold

3 sets bicycle crunches

aw thanks!

catch-up:

22/02/12:

15 rounds of 1 minute work, 10 seconds rest. Did the following circuit 3 times:

1 min jump rope (I don't actually have a jump rope so I used an invisible one)

1 min run in place with high knees

1 minute mountain climbers

1 minute sumo air squats

1 minute burpees

23/02/12:

5 miles in 50:17

24/02/12:

3 miles in 26:57 (yay!)