Kim's Beast Training

Chest Day!!! Yay!

WOD:

3 mile run

Wide-Grip Barbell Bench Press - 5 sets of 8 reps(1 warm-up set, 3 reg sets, 1 set of negatives): 60lb

Pushups - 3 sets of 15 reps

Cable Crossover - 3 sets of 10 reps: 30lb

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps: 50lb

Side-to-Side Pushups - 3 sets of 10 reps

(Superset)

Toe Touchers - 3 sets of 20 reps

Crunches - 3 sets of 20 reps (legs straight in the air)

(End of superset)

Knee/Hip Raise On Parallel Bars - 3 sets of 10 reps

Cable Crunch - 3 sets of 10 reps: 90lb

I'm getting there, slowing working up the weight on the bench press.

Food:

Breakfast:

Chocolate Green Smoothie(cocoa powder, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, chia seeds, spinach almond/coconut milk)

Raw oats with chia seeds, 1/2 sweet potato, protein scoop, almond milk

jasmine tea

Snack:

orange

lemon water

tea

Lunch:

Salad(lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, nutritional yeast, mushroom, raw pepitas, hemp seeds)

whole sweet potato

bag of carrots

apple

Snack:

bag of cucumbers

Tea

Dinner:

raw chili (portobello, carrot, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, Braggs liquid aminos, cayenne pepper, ketchup, hot sauce, ACV, cumin, fresh parsely)

water

Snack:

tea-maybe my version of champurrado (milk, water, cocoa powder, agave nectar, cinnamon, masa harina)--delicious snack, very filling

orange

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I had to fast because of blood work. I plan on doing my workout tonight when I get home, since I have free weights there and I only have a shoulder workout today. Not eating in the morning really throws me off though, not a happy thing.

Shoulder workout:

Military Press - 1 warm-up set, 3 sets of 10 reps : 20lb dumbbell

(Superset)

Upright Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

Standing Dumbbell Military Press (shown seated) - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

(End of superset)

Incline Bench Front Dumbbell Delt Raises (go light) - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10lb dumbbell

Rear Delt Cable Flyes - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10lb dumbbell

Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10 lb dumbbell

Rear Delt Raise - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

Food:

Breakfast:

Raw oats with chia seeds, banana,almond milk, walnut butter, agave nectar

soy latte

Snack:

sweet potato

Lunch:

Salad(lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, nutritional yeast, mushroom, hemp seeds, sliced raw beets)

bag of carrots

apple

Snack:

bag of cucumbers

orange

Tea

Dinner:

brown rice pasta with butternut squash sauce

water

Snack:

tea

orange

Today was supposed to be a leg day, but my legs are so sore from doing a bootcamp Saturday (with a focus on legs) that I didn't think it smart to do my leg routine this morning. So instead, I plan on either doing a kettlebell workout tonight or yoga. Or maybe a little bit of both.

oooh! Thanks for posting the raw chili recipe. I am a sriracha sauce fiend. Besides that nice work on your journal all month. I am helping check them for the prizes and you qualify for the prize package. Congrats! Hey please keep sharing I personally have really enjoyed everyones training logs and the interactions they have developed here on the forum. I have heard and can also just tell from reading others comments that many of the members on the forum feel the same. So I hope you continue with your training journal even though the month is done.

PS maybe I'll meet ya some time. I currently live in NYC and I was at the Boston Veg fest this past October helping out Robert and others at the booths. Did you go to that?

Cheers,

Dylan

oooh! Thanks for posting the raw chili recipe. I am a sriracha sauce fiend. Besides that nice work on your journal all month. I am helping check them for the prizes and you qualify for the prize package. Congrats! Hey please keep sharing I personally have really enjoyed everyones training logs and the interactions they have developed here on the forum. I have heard and can also just tell from reading others comments that many of the members on the forum feel the same. So I hope you continue with your training journal even though the month is done.

PS maybe I'll meet ya some time. I currently live in NYC and I was at the Boston Veg fest this past October helping out Robert and others at the booths. Did you go to that?

Cheers,

Dylan

Yay! This is my first time trying Sriracha and it's delicious! I highly recommend mixing in some hemp seeds because it's so good. I plan on keeping up with my journal, I find it keeps me more honest about what I'm doing. And hopefully it will help me to get to where I want to be. That's funny, I actually was at the Veg Fest this year in Boston and I did stop by the booth but ya'll were pretty busy so I didn't get to say hi to either one of you. And I used to live in NYC so I try and go back to visit friends and family at least once a year, so perhaps we shall meet up. I also miss a lot of the vegan restaurants there, and have you tried Lula's? Best vegan ice cream ever, and I don't even like ice cream, http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/. I went to the NYC Veg fest a couple of years ago, but it wasn't as well organized as the one in Boston, at least not the year I went. It was in an obscure part of Union Square and there was just a mess of tables here and there.

slàinte,

Kim

yum I will definitely try that place for the vegan ice cream. Any other NYC restaurant suggestions? I'm new here to NY, moved September.

Oh nice, did you move to Manhattan or one of the other boroughs like Brooklyn? Caravan of Dreams is good, they also have raw vegan options which is great. Terri NYC is AWESOME for a sammich. I used to get my lunch there when I worked a few blocks away. I've tried quite a few of their sammiches and they were all delicious, never tried their wraps though. They also make homemade lemonades and cleanses, which are good as well as a vegan yogurt parfait. Blossom is also very good, but a little on the pricey side. Blossom used to have their own chocolate and wine cafe a couple blocks down from their restaurant, but their website doesn't seem to work and it wasn't open when I tried going a few months ago. But if they are still open, they are called Cocoa V and their desserts and wine are magnificent. I've only had dessert and brunch from the Organic Grill, but I believe it was good. I've heard that Candle 79 is good, but I've never been. Also, Babycakes is THE place to go for baked goods. It's GF vegan and it's delicious. It's a small shop and it's awkward when there are tons of people inside, but so worth it. They could set up a cot in the corner and I'd live there (which coincidentally is not far from how living in Manhattan is like for the non-rich ha). One last place, The Republic in Union Square, it's not vegan but they have vegan friendly options, and their Curry Vegetable Noodle soup remains to be my all time favorite soup. I was able to find a place in Boston that makes a similar soup..but it still doesn't light a candle to this place. I suggest you go and you have it, since you like sriracha sauce, this curry soup should be up your alley. It does get busy in there and loud, so if you go don't expect to be able to hold an understandable conversation with anyone, and a lot of their tables are communal.

Hope that helps.

yum I will definitely try that place for the vegan ice cream. Any other NYC restaurant suggestions? I'm new here to NY, moved September.

Also, (sorry for rambling, food is my favorite thing) Caravan of Dreams is only a few blocks away from Lula's apothecary, so you can do a nice dinner or lunch, then walk down and get yourself a nice vegan ice cream, with coconut whipped cream on top.

Shoulder workout today plus a 6 mile run tonight.

Military Press on smith machine - 1 warm-up set, 3 sets of 10 reps : 30lb dumbbell

(Superset)

Upright Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

Standing Dumbbell Military Press (shown seated) - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

(End of superset)

Incline Bench Front Dumbbell Delt Raises (go light) - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10lb dumbbell

one arm Rear Delt Cable Flyes - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10lb dumbbell

Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 10 reps: 10 lb dumbbell

Rear Delt Raise - 3 sets of 10 reps: 15lb dumbbell

Food:

Breakfast:

Chocolate green smoothie

Raw oats with chia seeds, banana, almond milk, hemp seeds, cinnamon

tea

Snack:

sweet potato

Lunch:

Salad(lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, nutritional yeast, mushroom, hemp seeds, sliced raw beets)

bag of carrots

apple

Snack:

orange

Tea

Dinner:

raw chili

water

Snack:

tea

orange

Back day today. Felt pretty good from my 6 mile run last night, though I ran while being starving. Tuesday's will be my 6 mile run day for the next few months so I think I need to bring a better snack to have at work before I head home, so that I have energy for my run. Today was a back day, plus I did 20 minutes of HIIT training. I am also doing a 10,000 push-up challenge with a friend and his brother. You basically do as many push-ups as you can each day until you reach 10k, yesterday I managed 210 but I started near the end of the day, so I am hoping to at least hit 300 today. As of now, I've done 60. As weird as this sounds, since I drink a lot of water and tea throughout the day, I do push-ups every time I go to the bathroom. This way I get a bunch in, and no one see's me at work, haha.

WOD:

Wide Grip Overhand Pullups - 3 sets of 10 reps: assisted at 110 lb's

(Superset)

Bent Over Barbell Row - 3 sets of 8 reps: 50lb

Seated Cable Rows - 3 sets of 8 reps: 60lb

(End of superset)

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown - 3 sets of 10 reps: 70lb

One-Arm Dumbbell Row - 3 sets of 8 reps: 30lb dummbbell (pretty excited about that)

Hammer Strength Lat Pull - 3 sets of 10 reps: 70lb

Hyperextensions (Back Extensions) - 3 sets of 8 reps: with 25lb plate to chest

FOOD:

Breakfast:

Chocolate Green Smoothie(cocoa powder, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, chia seeds, spinach almond/coconut milk)

banana and protein shake

tea w/ almond milk

Snack:

sweet potato

tea w/almond milk

Lunch:

Salad(lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, nutritional yeast, mushroom, raw pepitas, hemp seeds)

bag of carrots

apple

Snack:

orange

bag of raw almonds and cashews (1/4 cup each)

Tea

Dinner:

raw chili (portobello, carrot, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, Braggs liquid aminos, cayenne pepper, ketchup, sriracha sauce, ACV, cumin, fresh parsely, hemp seeds and more sriracha sauce)

water

Snack:

tea

Thanks! I live in Brooklyn but I am close to Manhattan and go there often. I have been to Blossom and I liked it. That was the only place on your list I have been so far so I am excited to try some of the other spots. The curry soup sounds amazing and the veg ice cream with coconut wipped topping (I am a sucker for anything coconut).

-Dylan

Thanks! I live in Brooklyn but I am close to Manhattan and go there often. I have been to Blossom and I liked it. That was the only place on your list I have been so far so I am excited to try some of the other spots. The curry soup sounds amazing and the veg ice cream with coconut wipped topping (I am a sucker for anything coconut).

-Dylan

Ha fantastic! I am a sucker for all that is coconut as well. Let me know what you think of some of the other places. New York is a great place for vegans...Boston not quite as much but we're getting there.

Fosho. I also just checked your profile and checked out that beat blog, is that your blog or just one that you like? I assume its yours but thought I'd ask.

Yea, that'd be me. I haven't been doing a great job of keeping it updated though. I'm super busy with work and training and eating haha. I do plan on trying to put my weekly workout's and training goals up though, I have a few races I'm training for and I hope that maybe I can inspire someone...somewhere. Feel free to go to my facebook page too, I occasionally put up some recipes and pics of my food. And if you're interested, I have been trying to get someone to write a guest post from a vegan perspective.

Kim

I temporarily deactivated my fb. But I will friend you when I reactivate it. I am down to write a guest post but I'm not 100% vegan. I'm still working at that, I'd say I'm like 85% there.

I think I'm a great resource for the community though. Vegans need those close but not there yet backing them to support the movement I think

I temporarily deactivated my fb. But I will friend you when I reactivate it. I am down to write a guest post but I'm not 100% vegan. I'm still working at that, I'd say I'm like 85% there.

I think I'm a great resource for the community though. Vegans need those close but not there yet backing them to support the movement I think

Awesome. Hey you could always write about your journey as a partial vegan haha. I think that's great.

Kim

Sure I'd love to. Just tell me when and how. I'm a pretty good writer. I work for eHow writing instructional articles and I used to write copy for radio commercials. I think a big reason for the 15% non-veganess is people around me. Specifically I often seem to end up dating ladies that love meat and won't be swayed... Its a curse. My current fling or whatever has already shown she has a problem with me not eating meat...haha shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't give her flack for what she eats grrr. tmi, sorry. Pretend you didn't read any of that except for the first couple lines about me letting you know I'd be down to write on your site.

-Dylan

Sure I'd love to. Just tell me when and how. I'm a pretty good writer. I work for eHow writing instructional articles and I used to write copy for radio commercials. I think a big reason for the 15% non-veganess is people around me. Specifically I often seem to end up dating ladies that love meat and won't be swayed... Its a curse. My current fling or whatever has already shown she has a problem with me not eating meat...haha shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't give her flack for what she eats grrr. tmi, sorry. Pretend you didn't read any of that except for the first couple lines about me letting you know I'd be down to write on your site.

-Dylan

-Dylan

Awesome, I really appreciate it. You can write an article whenever you have some free time, no stress. You can email me the article or any questions at [email protected]. I know what you mean about the dating thing, I've never dated a vegan, they've always been meat people. I got lucky with my husband though, he's a meat eater but he doesn't have a problem with me being vegan. He actually thinks it's great that I'm vegan and I'm passionate about it. I don't think I can convert him, though I wish I could. I appreciate that he doesn't give me crap for my lifestyle, and I try not to give him any, but you know, it's hard when he fries everything haha. I would just say, whoever you are with should accept and appreciate you for who you are. Sorry for your women troubles, but i'm sure things will work out in the end, they always do

Kim

I am starting to see some definition in my shoulders and legs, which is great! I need to keep at it and not falter. I want to be able to see bi and tri definition so hopefully I'll start to see some change after a few more months of the training I'm doing.

Today's WOD:

Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 10 reps: 100lb

Wide Stance Barbell Squat - 3 sets of 10 reps: 100lb

Lunges - 3 sets of 10 reps

Single-Leg Barbell Deadlift - 3 sets of 10 reps:15lb

Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets of 10 reps: 60lb

Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets of 10 reps: 125lb

Standing Calf Raises - 3 sets of 10 reps: 100lb

Food:

Breakfast:

Chocolate Green Smoothie

protein shake with banana

hot chocolate

Snack:

Baked sweet potato with cinnamon

tea

Lunch:

Bag of carrots

Salad(lettuce, shredded beets, hemp seeds, pepitas, nutritional yeast, cucumber, mushrooms, mustard, green pepper)

orange

tea

Snack:

apple

water

Dinner:

Raw chili

Snack:

apple with walnut butter

Today was an arm day!! I am starting to see some definition in my bi's and tri's...very exciting.

WOD:

Narrow Pushups - 4 sets of 15 reps

Seated Triceps Press - 4 sets of 8 reps: 30lb's

(Superset)

Cable One Arm Tricep Extension - 3 sets of 8 reps: 13lbs

One-Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pushdown- 3 sets of 8 reps - 23lb's

(End Superset)

(Superset)

Skullcrushers - 3 sets of 8 reps: 17.5lb's

Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 8 reps:40 lb's

(End of superset)

Incline Dumbbell Curl - 4 sets of 8 reps: 15lbs

Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl - 4 sets of 8 reps: 20lb's

Barbell Curl 21's - 2 sets of 21 reps: 30lb's

Stability Ball Crunch - 3 sets of 25 reps

Jackknife Sit-Up on Stability Ball - 3 sets of 15 reps

Stability Ball Reverse Crunches (ball between feet) - 3 sets of 15 reps

Food:

Breakfast:

Chocolate Green Smoothie

Oatmeal with walnut butter, banana and almond milk

Snack:

Baked sweet potato

tea

Lunch:

Bag of carrots

Salad(lettuce, shredded beets, hemp seeds, pepitas, cucumber, mushrooms, mustard, green pepper)

orange

tea

Snack:

apple

water

Dinner:

Raw chili

water

Snack:

dried figs

tea

Back from a long weekend anniversary vacation. I was still able to do a workout Friday morning and Saturday morning and got a wonderful full body massage Saturday as well. However, my diet went slack. I rarely get the chance to eat vegan/Gluten free cake and I took advantage of it as well as some other vegan treats. I am determined to get back on track and eat clean and train hard. I am too close to my goals to give up now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out for a little while. I celebrated my 3 year anniversary and when we got back I started getting sick and have been sick for the past week and a half or so. But I'm feeling better now and ready to get back at it. I've started doing a cutting phase which has a lot of HIIT's, supersets and triple sets and active rests. The weights are lower because there are higher reps.

WOD:

(Superset)

Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets of 15 reps :80 lb

Lunge - 3 sets of 15 reps, per side

(Superset)

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift - 3 sets of 15 reps: 30lb

Bounce-Bounce-Squat (Two jumps in place and then open up into a plie squat) - 3 sets of 15 reps: 15lb weight

(Superset)

Standing Leg Curl - 3 sets of 15 reps: 20lb

Split Squats - 3 sets of 15 reps: 15 lb weight

(Superset)

One Leg Barbell Squat On A Bench - 3 sets of 15 reps: 20lb

Stability Ball Leg Curl - 3 sets of 15 reps

(Working Set + Active Rest)

Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets of 20 reps, one leg at a time : 15lb

Mountain Climbers - 3 sets of 20 reps

(Triple Set)

Standing Calf Raises - 3 sets of 20 reps: 30lb dumbbells in each hand

Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets of 20 reps: 90lb

Rope Jumping - 3 sets of 1 min

Food:

Breakfast:

Chocolate Green Smoothie

Oatmeal with almond butter, banana, ground flax seed and almond milk and a bit of maple syrup

Snack:

orange

tea with almond milk

Lunch:

Bag of carrots

Salad(lettuce, shredded beets, hemp seeds, pepitas, cucumber, mushrooms, mustard, green pepper, onion)

orange

tea

Snack:

apple

water

Dinner:

Raw chili

water

Snack:

banana with almond butter