Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

Enjoy the time with your parents, mate! Three years is a long time.

It will be a blast, can't wait. I'm lucky that I get on so well with both my Mum and Dad, we're a really close family. They're staying at our place in Christchurch for most of the 3wks; my wife and I also have a holiday home about an hour and half away, so we aim to head over there for a long weekend as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you have a good 3 weeks with your parents mate. You have some very impressive stats. I was wondering if i could ask for some advice? A bit nervous about asking but nuts to it - here goes:

I am currently following Derek Tresizes routine posted on the site. Heavy compound stuff (well for me any ways), my first post outlines it, but he only recommends following it for a max of up to six weeks. In a couple of weeks time i need to change the routine and i am not sure what to do. I train at home with bench, squat rack, barbell and dumbells any ideas. I m not asking for a complete routine or anything just a pointer in the right direction - my goal is to build lean muscle.

I hope you don't mind me asking but you certainly know what you are doing. No rush either mate, enjoy your time with your parents thats more important. Also i won't be offended if you can't help me, i just thought i would ask

Will train this arvo, last day of deload today woohoo.

Just because of where the meet falls (Feb 24th), I'm skipping the light week. So this coming week will be medium, the week after will be heavy and then I'll deload the week of the meet; I really don't do too much in the week leading into a meet anyway so it should all fall nicely.

Thanks MF

I answered your question on my thread. Oh and by the way I have had a look at your blog - I shall keep reading it good info on there

Thanks Doug! Hope you enjoy reading through things on here, I try to be as sincere and as honest as possible. That's why I make the video blogs, as people have often questioned the amounts I lift when they realise what my bodyweight is.

So today I hit the gym, last day of deload week so I just headed in and hit some biceps. Nothing spectacular, just moved a few weights up and down and tried to stay awake (I find training biceps incredibly boring). My biceps are kind of like a vampire... fill them up with as much blood as possible and then head straight back home and rest

Will write up the session later, it's 10.30pm and I am ready for bed. MF

Today was awful, had a really horrible morning

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/389510_10150382583138720_417259533_n.jpg

Had to take our little rabbit into the vets this morning, ended up getting put to sleep. Was only 4 months old, she was looking at me as I watched the light in her eyes go out. Then the kids came in and said goodbye and had a last hold and stroke of her while I explained to them what had happened and why she couldn't come home with us.

Then I backed my wifes' car into a pole reversing out of the car park.

My biceps are kind of like a vampire... fill them up with as much blood as possible and then head straight back home and rest.

I love this description.

With that said, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your rabbit, mate. I'm sure the car incident only made matters worse. Loads of good vibes and internet hugs to you and your family. All the best.

Really sort to hear about your Rabbit mate. I hope you and especially your kids are ok.

I was looking at the vids and one of the comments I made to my wife was how I need to catch to get to your level. You've set the bar and I am inspired and motivated to get stronger and better

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.360041,-0.679505

My biceps are kind of like a vampire... fill them up with as much blood as possible and then head straight back home and rest.

I love this description.

With that said, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your rabbit, mate. I'm sure the car incident only made matters worse. Loads of good vibes and internet hugs to you and your family. All the best.

Thanks, yeah the rabbit thing was sad but was a freak accident. We've been out looking at new ones today so that's cheering the kids up heaps

Really sort to hear about your Rabbit mate. I hope you and especially your kids are ok.

I was looking at the vids and one of the comments I made to my wife was how I need to catch to get to your level. You've set the bar and I am inspired and motivated to get stronger and better

Cheers mate !! There's no way I could do powerlifting, ultramarathon running etc just as a hobby... the sports I choose demand to much of you to half-ass the training. Glad you enjoy the videos, I do enjoy making the blog series and have had some good feedback on it so far. I try to keep the light but informative.

SATURDAY 4th FEBRUARY

BODYWEIGHT: 143

TRAINING TIME: 3pm

DURATION: 45mins

COMMENTS: Okay session although I find training biceps quite boring haha

WEEK: MEDIUM

RESTING PULSE RATE: 44

APPETITE: CLYDESDALE

PRE WO NUTRITION: 8 pack of brown rice vege sushi

POST WO NUTRITION: Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (barley & wheat grass)

BIEPS

CABLE CURLS (ANGLED BAR)

33 x 10

46 x 10

SUPERSET

1 x ARM HAMMER CURLS

26 x 10

26 x 10

EZ B.BELL CURLS

77 x 10

88 x 10

LIFEFITNESS BICEP CURLS

86 x 10

55 x 10

OLYMPIC B.BELL CURLS *FST-7*

44 x 10 (7 x sets, 40sec rest)

1.jpg.4c43e0bca2f87bdad55c03a2051be784.jpg

Quick shot after training

MONDAY 6th FEBRUARY

BODYWEIGHT: 144

TRAINING TIME: 4pm

DURATION: 50mins

COMMENTS: Quick session primarily focusing on bench technique and improving my explosiveness off my chest. All sets felt pretty easy weight

RESTING PULSE RATE: 46

APPETITE: GREAT

PRE WO NUTRITION: Vege curry with 1/2 cup of quinoa

POST WO NUTRITION: Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (barley & wheat grass)

DYNAMIC WARMUP

10mins

STANDING B.BELL MILITARY PRESS

BAR x 12

BAR x 13

BAR x 15

PAUSED BENCH

BAR x 20

88 x 10

132 x 6

154 x 3

176 x 4

187 x 4

INC. D.BELL PRESS

44 x 10

66 x 8

79 x 8

1.jpg.d7f6dc1ac16a3a63a7779daf4d873b43.jpg

Post WO shake

Hi MF,

Thanks for the comments, liked the joke LOL. You definatly nailed my sense of humour. Seriously though it made me chuckle when i really needed it. I may borrow this one if you don't mind - it might make me popular at parties

I have taken on board your advice and if it is still ok then would be alright for a 3 day split. I know i previously said 4 day split but i have just found out that Kettering rock and roll club have a practice jive night and i really want to get into the rock'n'roll scene again and i need the practice with jive and bopping - it is something me and my wife can do together as part of the fitness strategy as well. Also i have been invited to join a pool team. I need to get out and socialize as well. I think it is something i need to help me.

Any way thanks again and hope it goes well at the meet - if you are allowed to use straps then go for it mate.

No problems at all Doug. I'll post up a plan on your journal tomorrow, if you can stick with it ideally for a minimum of 6wks you should get some good results.

Was leg day today, a satisfying tough session considering it's my 'medium' week. But then again I think legs should always be relatively tough; will write up the session tomorrow.

WEDNESDAY 8th FEBRUARY

BODYWEIGHT: 144.5

DURATION: 65mins

COMMENTS: Really tough lot of squats, last couple of sets killled me

RESTING PULSE RATE: 48

APPETITE: CLYDESDALE

PRE WO NUTRITION: Chickpea & vege salad, lge expresso

LEGS

LEG EXTENSIONS (WARMUP)

73 x 12

73 x 12

ATG SQUATS (BELOW PARALLEL)

BAR x 12

BAR x 12

88 x 6

88 x 6

132 x 4

176 x 4

220 x 4

220 x 4

220 x 4

220 x 4

220 x 4

SEATED GOOD MORNINGS

55 x 12

77 x 12

LEG PRESS (ASCENDING REPS)

2PPS x 10

3PPS x 12

4PPS x 15

5PPS x 20

** Happy with that session. Next medium week my goal with be 5 sets of 220 x 5 on squats.

Just 2wks away from my meet now. I am feeling great, strength is right where it should be and I feel like it is starting to peak. Can't wait to get stuck into my last heavy week next week before I start to wind things back and freshen up.

I know I am capable of benching 236.5lb, hopefully I can nail that and attempt 242 on my last lift.

Planning to open with 418lb for the deadlift, second lift will be 429. Depending on how that one goes up will decide whether or not I have a go at 440 for my final attempt.

Training deadlifts this afternoon

Sweet session...I can't wait I get back to some proper weight on squats but as you knew the work for a couple of cycles on 5/3/1 isn't a killer but looking on a few cycles in is another matter!!!

Hope the comp goes well dude, I'm sure your'll nail the deads. My hands are killing still from farmers walks last sat:/

Sweet session...I can't wait I get back to some proper weight on squats but as you knew the work for a couple of cycles on 5/3/1 isn't a killer but looking on a few cycles in is another matter!!!

Hope the comp goes well dude, I'm sure your'll nail the deads. My hands are killing still from farmers walks last sat:/

Famers walks are killer, nice work !!

How come you are backed off with your squats right now? Ease back into them, they'll come up quickly.

THURSDAY 9th FEBRUARY

BODYWEIGHT: 144.5

DURATION: 30mins

COMMENTS: Didn't feel super strong today, was an okay session but nothing special

RESTING PULSE RATE: 46

APPETITE: GREAT

PRE WO NUTRITION: Chickpea & vege salad, lge expresso

DEADLIFT DAY, 80% MAX

132 x 10

132 x 10

220 x 8

220 x 6

308 x 4

352 x 3

352 x 3

352 x 3

** Those were prettty comfortable triples.

Edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ