Yeti Log: AKA Run Beard Man, Run!

2-3-12 Day A 12:05Pm-1:25PM

Trap Bar Deadlifts 260lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 265lbs

Weighted Pushups +60lbs x5x5x5x5x4

Hammer Chinups +22.5lbs x5x5x5x4x4 ->+25lbs

Dumbbell Curls 2x38lbs x10x10x10x10

Did 20min sprinting yesterday. I really like weighted pushups. Between dips, heavy flys, and this, my chest is just fine. Though I discovered a unique way to get my dumbbells into position.

Edited by Cellar Yeti

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-5-12 Day B 12:05PM to 1:25PM

Stiff Leg Deadlifts 210lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->215lbs

Weighted Pullups +20lbs x5x5x5x4x4 ->22.5lbs

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2x48lbs x5x5x4x4x4 ->Stay

Dumbbell Side Raises 36lbs x12x12x12x12 -> 41lbs

Shrugs 90lbs x10x10x0x10

Went for a long walk yesterday. Good day today. I feel strong.

2-7-12 Day A 12:30PM to 1:30PM

One Arm Rows 2x108lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->2x113lbs

Dips +35lbs x5 +40lbs x5x5x5x4 ->+45lbs

Flys 2x63lbs x8x8x7x4 ->Stay

Kickbacks 2x33lbs x10x10x10x10

I ran 2.5miles yesterday. I've noticed a unique change in my strength and recovery, as well as my metabolism since beginning to run 2x a week. I think I will run twice and sprint one, and rest once. Plus, I enjoy it, It's relaxing.

2-9-12 Day A 1:15PM-2:15PM

Squats 150lbs x8x8x8x8x8 ->WAT

Weighted Pushups +65lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->70lbs

Weighted Chinups +25lbs x5x5x5x4x4 ->27.5lbs

Hammer Curls 2x43lbs x8x8x8x8 -> Stay

1.5hr later. Ran 2 miles to get toothpaste. (:

I slept lots last night. I feel really good, really strong, healthy, peaceful. Squats are troublesome for me over 150lbs. My backpack is at it's breaking point, and anything over 50lbs will surely destroy it. Also, loading the dumbbells up with 25s is out of the question because I cannot hold them far enough away from my body.

I may be purchasing a weight vest that accepts plates. This will allow me 100lbs on dumbbells, 75 on the vest, and 50-75 on the backpack.

My legs get worked so hard, I am not terribly concerned though.

Tomorrow I have my bi-annual checkup with my Gastro. Bloodwork and such. It's an early appointment. I plan on having breakast at Whole Foods. MmmMmm.

Does anyone even read this, or am I just typing all this to myself? I guess I do that too, just read peoples logs and forget to comment.

Had my doctors appointment on the 10th. Had to wake up early. Ended up walking down to the bay since it was a beautiful day. One thing lead to another and I ended up visiting the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum. Walked over ten miles so that was my cardio.

2-11-12 Day B 2:10PM to 3:15PM

Trap Bar Deadlit 260lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->265lbs

Weighted Pullup 22.5lbs x5x5x5x5x4 ->25lbs

Trap Bar Shoulder Press 110lbsx5 115lbsx4x3 110lbsx5x3 ->110lbs

Dumbbell Side Raises 2x23 x10x10x10x10 ->2x28lbs

Shrugs 90lbs x12x12x12x12 ->100lbs

30min 2.5mi Run

Ended up walking down to the bay since it was a beautiful day. One thing lead to another and I ended up visiting the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum.

I'm jealous as hell. Learning something while you sweat is the ultimate multitasking. Seeing something new and mentally stimulating is my daily goal. What was the coolest thing you saw in the museum?

Baby Herc

Ended up walking down to the bay since it was a beautiful day. One thing lead to another and I ended up visiting the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum.

I'm jealous as hell. Learning something while you sweat is the ultimate multitasking. Seeing something new and mentally stimulating is my daily goal. What was the coolest thing you saw in the museum?

Baby Herc

I was dumbstruck at the size of it mostly, the Midway is enormous. And it's a small carrier. What was really mind blowing was they used to assemble bombs/torpedoes in the general mess while sailors were eating. Also the executive officer mess was really cool. Like a swanky dining hall.

I love the smell of these ships, old old fermented diesel. I don't know why. lol

I have been spending a lot less time on the computer and more time exploring. The USS Hornet is up in Alamedia. I am planning a trip up there on public transport to see it soon.

We also have the Air and Space Museum, the Maritime Museum, and a ton of other stuff to see which I plan on visiting soon.

Ran today. Realized I miscalculated the distance to my landmark and back home, it's actually 3 miles and not 2.5 so I have been doing 3 miles these past weeks. I felt very hot and run down on the run. I was a little hungry at the start but I ate breakfast. I think it might have been because I was wearing a long sleeve shirt.

I will eat a bit extra carbs today and take tomorrow off running and instead go down to the bay again on a long walk, hopefully no rain.

I enjoy running very much but I want to make sure I balance it with weight training and eat enough. I believe the biggest issue people have with running is too little calories and no balance.

Right now I am experimenting with calories because I just do not trust calorie calculators. At the doctors I weighed 145lbs roughly, and according to calorie calculators with my weight, height and exercise levels I need 2,800 kcal to maintain. I've come to understand those calculators are VERY in accurate and 2,800 kcal will get me nothing but fat gain.

I'm guessing my calorie range might be between 2,000 and 2,500. Right now I am eating a bit over 2,000 but I am monitoring my energy levels and weight closely. I am unsure if today was a fluke or not but I will add a bit extra carbs today and try this again on Tuesday to see the result. If it happens again I know I've reached a tipping point and should go up a bit in kcal.

2-15-12 Day C 1:15PM-215PM

One Arm Dumbbell Rows 113lbs x5x5x5x4x4 ->Stay (Shoulder Pain)

Dips +45lbs x5x5x5x5x3 ->50lbs (I got really good ROM, it felt really good)

Heavy Chest Flys 2x63lbs x5x5x3x4x4 ->Stay

Triceps 90lbs x12x12x12x12 ->100lbs

Another incredible day weightlifting. No Cardio, my calves were super sore. Went to Whole Foods for dinner. My eating habits have done a 180. I'll eat out once a week, most often Whole Foods. I either get sushi or go for a giant salad with tofu, olives, sprouts, quinoa balsamic vinaigrette etc. My old eating habits used to favor carbs, pizza, hummus and bread. But I stopped with a lot of the gluten.

I'm also eating a lot less. I don't know why. I just stopped counting calories and obsessing over food. I do a light breakfast of some toast, soymilk, and fruit, cup of tea or coffee then I hit the weights or run, come back and have a protein shake. Then I stop eating the entire day except for maybe an apple or some fruit, some tea. Once my stomach is empty I am calmer, I can focus better, I feel much better. Then I gorge myself at dinner, 1000kcal or so, then a few hours later a protein shake and bed time. On weightlifting and cardio days I do this. On my one off day a week I won't eat at all. I tried this once a week or so ago out of curiosity and loved it. On my one fast day a week I'll drink tea and water, maybe a serving or two of fruit or a scoop of now true food vegan. Other than that the clarity and rest my Crohn's ravaged guts get are wonderful.

And my strength isn't even damaged, I am still strong as hell, fasting 4x a month, running 3 miles 12x a month, weightlifting heavy or 75min 15 times a month, and a few sporadic cardio sessions on weightlifting days when I am restless, plus a lot of walking.

Alright so my guts have been in turmoil pretty bad lately. Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis are railing me from behind like an angry gorilla on steroids and PCP. I've resorted to fasting during the day to let my guts rest and eating all my food at night after my Shaman suggested this to me. To my surprise since I started doing this I haven't woken up with an obstruction or stomach ache. I am still eating my normal fare which I won't type out again it's just I am cramming 2000-2250 kcal into 6-8hrs.

The problem with this is that I usually weight lift in the late morning early afternoon. I was afraid of breaking fast so I decided to workout later in the day. Bad idea, once I break fast, my energy shit cans and I feel like a drugged up sloth. Today's workout misadventure was a clusterfuck. I am not even gonna type my log out for today, I'm pretending it NEVER happened. DO YOU HEAR ME? IT NEVER HAPPENED.

I will try running tomorrow semi-fasted and weightlifting semi fasted Friday. My hunch is that I need pre-workout glycogen in both cases because I will have gone nearly 10hrs with no food and I do not want my body using any muscle glycogen.

Post workout for running I know I only need glycogen, like fruit. Post workout lifting I am not sure, I will try it with glycogen and protein, just glycogen, and just protein and see how I feel until I break fast at around 5.

I went to Whole Foods for dinner today, I had a huge 1.5lb salad with a variety of mixed greens, onions, quinoa, tofu, olives, veggies, balsamic vinegertte, and olive oil. For desert it was half a cookie and a coffee from Starbucks. Mmm.

Tomorrow I am going to make jasmine rice cooked in sesame oil w/ tofu and broccoli. Vons has sprouted tofu now and it was on sale!

Oh, I also bought a weight vest from Mbody Strength that accepts standard weight plates up to 75lbs. One 45, two 10s, and two 5s it looks like. Either way I'll be favoring more natural movements in my routine like lunges, pushups, pullups, dips etc. Heavy deadlifts with the trap bar and even light squats are getting hard on my knees. Might return the trap bar, it's kinda not the best anyway.

Yup, Von's/Safeway is committed on contract,...most stores throughout the entire nation now have an entire natural set. Good stuff. They even have kombucha's in some.. GT's...but not the "classic"...those have a more memorable taste!

Sorry to hear about the stomach. I live in gut pain,so I hear you and I am always playing w/ my food and what works. Do you do l-glutamine? It helps w/intestinal lining repair- tossing it out there, I am sure you know or have heard ll.

Brrrr, these past few days, huh?

I knew Vons had an organic/natural line. But the sprouted tofu is new to me. I actually just broke fast and made tofu with broccoli and jasmine rice. But I forgot I was going to split the tofu into 3 servings and shoveled it all on my plate, oh well, lol.

Today I just walked around. I went down to the bay again and got a coffee. A note, coffee is a BAD idea on a fast. I felt like crap. I went and visited the maritime museum and and bought my mom some turquoise earnings to cheer her up.

Got my huaraches from invisible shoes in. I am going to string them soon. I only wear Vibrams these days but recently they have changed the sole on them and I am coming down hard on heel.

And yes, cold! I don't like it. I want 70-80 degree weather again! Today was OK, down by the bay it was a wee bit chilly though.

oh...but Vons/ Safeway will have even more natural; they signed a contract last quarter of 2011 with the largest Natural foods distributor in the country, so you will be seeing even more product in some stores. As for sprouted tofu --- I think its just the brand name. Cause, technically if you sprout tofu, you wouldn't want to cook it for the raw benefits, so even if its sprouted...its then cooked, heated and mushed and then allowed to coagulate till its hard, so any benefits of sprouting are gone. hate to sound like such a know it all...its all I did for 10 years...live in Natural Food stores all across the country and talk with other granola'y head peeps like me.. And, I got paid a LOT to do it. lol.

do you shop at the old Henry's now Sprouts, ever? Whole Foods Hillcrest is better, duh. Ever go to Ocean Beach People's? I love our Co-Op! Up here in North County, we also have Jimbo's...and he is one of the primary mover's ( a local store guy here..four stores), non GMO movement.org and creating the stir for more public awareness. Cool, huh?

I really only shop at Vons and Wholefoods. I pass right by Sprouts on my way to Whole Foods, but they don't have as good deals, and I prefer Whole Foods anyway.

Walked like...4 or 5 miles today. Trained my abs too.

I got my huaraches in and assembled. Much better than Vibram Five Fingers. New favorite shoe.

http://i.imgur.com/XCRvC.jpg

2-17-12 Day B: 5:40PM-6:40PM

Dumbbell Deadlifts 196lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->Stay

Weighted Pullups +25lbs x5x5x4x5x4 ->Stay

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2x48lbs x5x5x4x5x4 ->Stay

Dumbbell Side Raises 2x28lbs x8x8x8x6 ->Stay

Shrugs 110lbs x9x10x10x9 ->Stay

I was going to work out fasted today but I passed my 18hr window dealing with UPS losing my weight vest...So I had a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of soy milk and lifted 45min later. I am destroyed cause I did my 1hr and 15min in 1 hr, I reduced rest time between my shoulder and shrug movements to just 1 min, but I think I would have tanked if I lifted fasted. I am going to try lifting on less, like a glass of soymilk maybe, or an apple, or both. But I am still wary of fasted lifting, though I will try it at least once.

I stop eating at around 11pm and fast until 3pm or 5pm the next day. The plan is to break fast right after I complete my routine with a protein shake at 3-5Pm. I will try this with a light jog tomorrow. And lifting on Sunday. If it doesn't I'll break fast at 3-4 with a light snack, lift, then go full on eating.

I changed my routine again. Oh well. I just kind of got bored with the other one.

2-19-12 Chest/Triceps 2:47PM-3:40PM

Weighted Pushups +75lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->80lbs (First time I struggled on these)

Weighted Dips +45lbs x5x5x5x3x4 -> +47.5lbs

Chest Flys 2x48lbs x8x8x8x7 ->Stay

Triceps Suspension Strap Raises +25lbs x8x7x6x8 ->Stay

It's worth noting I did a standard pushup on a scale and it registered 100lbs of my body weight. So I'm really doing 175lb pushups, and you really do feel it. UPS has still not found my Mbody Strength vest, hopefully they will have located it soon, as my backpack is ripping to shreds. lol.

My new routine is:

Chest/Triceps

Back/Biceps

Legs

Abs 2x a week, running 2x a week.

I was doing this and will eventually go back because I did like it.

Chest Light/Legs Lightt/Biceps/Lats

Back-Entire/Legs-Light/Lats/Shoulders

Chest Medium/Back-Upper/Legs Light

Abs 2x a Week, Calves 2x a week, Running 2x a week.

These are my two favorite routines thus so far, both following 5x5/4x8-10

bummer on the vest! I was up your way today...college / lemon grove- funky weather. I went to the beach yesterday and walked almost 5 fast- may do again tomorrow- tide was out and so walked the sand- Roller coaster to Diamond. One of my faves the last 20 plus years. I read you walk the Bay ...a good walk. Do you do any local races since you run? I ran w/ San Diego track club for years...great group filled with world class runners and a ton of multi talented athletes. The Coach has been recognized by the Presidents Council for Physical fitness...we are so lucky to love in such a fit city. Have you been to the Whole Foods in La Jolla or the newer one in Encinitas. Hope your stomach is feeling better and your fasting and all is working well with your workouts.

bummer on the vest! I was up your way today...college / lemon grove- funky weather. I went to the beach yesterday and walked almost 5 fast- may do again tomorrow- tide was out and so walked the sand- Roller coaster to Diamond. One of my faves the last 20 plus years. I read you walk the Bay ...a good walk. Do you do any local races since you run? I ran w/ San Diego track club for years...great group filled with world class runners and a ton of multi talented athletes. The Coach has been recognized by the Presidents Council for Physical fitness...we are so lucky to love in such a fit city. Have you been to the Whole Foods in La Jolla or the newer one in Encinitas. Hope your stomach is feeling better and your fasting and all is working well with your workouts.

Yeah the weather has been weird, I just want it to be warm. I don't do any local races, though I did see a bunch of participants of one a few days ago down near the marina.

There's more than one Whole Foods in San Diego....I guess I will be going to La Jolla to check it out on Wednesday.

And my guts are great, I worked out fasted today, actually felt really good.

La Jolla

8825 Villa La Jolla Dr

La Jolla, California

Phone: 858.642.6700

map & directions| Store web page

Encinitas and this one is a LEEDS certified architectural structure, meaning it complies in all the latest of Green and architectural'y up-to-date for energy efficient and a few other snappy things!

687 S. Coast Highway 101

Encinitas, California

Phone: 760.274.1580

map & directions| Store web page

5 min jog, 20 min sprinting at 15 sec sprints, 2:45 sec rest, 5 min jog. Did about 7 sprints. Destroyed.

Edit oh, I did abs too, hanging leg raises 3x10 and 10lb plate oblique crunches 3x10. My abs and obliques are pretty damn weak.

Oh and I just ate this for dinner, 1c rice, 1/2c tofu, 2c spinach/broccoli with chives soy sauce and mint green tea w/ soymilk. The trick is to add chives during the last few minutes of cooking the rice, and cook the tofu and veggies together in olive oil, soy sauce, and a bit of chili powder.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/WanderingYeti/th_DSCN3102.jpg

2-23-11 Back/Biceps

DB Deadlits 196lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> Needs moar iron, some day. I am in a wee bit o debt

Weighted Pullups +25lbs x5x5x4x4x4 ->Stay

One Arm DB Rows 103lbs x5x5x5x4x4 ->105.5lbs

Weighted Hammer Chinups +25lbs x5x4x4x3 ->Stay

DB Curls 2x38lbs x8x8x7x7 ->Stay

I worked out on a bit of Now True Food Vegan yesterday as I had read totally fasted lifting was not a good idea. I will get some BCAA to take instead soon. But I racked up a bit of debt with my purchases so I need to sort that out soon.

I feel really good on my fasts. Very calm and relaxed. My strength has not changed, but my body fat has dropped a bit, but it's slowed down a lot making me realize this diet is not dangerous or muscle if I am losing fat so slowly.

I will probably sprint today for 20min.