The Lovely Owl.

Cellar Yeti

I hike in a canyon and one year we saw a downed owl..so sad...had it not been a wild bird of prey we would have 'rescued", but instinct said, "no". kind of like trying to pet a bear in Yosemite.

A big bonus...even for living in the burbs, I have some big trees in my hood, and on most nights,,,year round ( I live in "America's Finest City" as Cellar Yeti will testify...we are both in San Diego and its called that), I hear owls hoot almost nightly..and have for the almost 20 years I have lived on this street ( I moved off it from 2005 to 2010) and I have a huge backyard filled with owl pellets (yek) and (dog poop). On really still , clear nights, you can see the owl (s) in the tall pine trees. way wicked cool.

Lots of out doorsy's here...thanks for sharing Cellar Yeti.

Right now is the Sexy Season for many owls. That is to say, there's owl nookie goin' on in them thar woods. They begin with mating calls that go on for nights on end.

Male Owl: "Hoot-hoo!" (Translation: You are one hot tamale. Are you free this year?)

Female Owl: "Hoot-hoo-hoo!" (Translation: That depends. How many rodents did you catch yesterday?)

Male Owl: "Hoot-hoot-hoot-hoot!" (Translation: Four)

Female Owl: "Hoooooooo!" (Translation: My tree or yours?)

Baby Herc

Right now is the Sexy Season for many owls. That is to say, there's owl nookie goin' on in them thar woods. They begin with mating calls that go on for nights on end.

Male Owl: "Hoot-hoo!" (Translation: You are one hot tamale. Are you free this year?)

Female Owl: "Hoot-hoo-hoo!" (Translation: That depends. How many rodents did you catch yesterday?)

Male Owl: "Hoot-hoot-hoot-hoot!" (Translation: Four)

Female Owl: "Hoooooooo!" (Translation: My tree or yours?)

Baby Herc

I LOVE the owl! I used to have an obsession with birds in general when I was a kid but owls and other big birds wound up topping the list. Something about their size and "wildness" astounded me.

I still love em, even though they aren't herbivores.

I've seen owls only twice in my life and I will never forget either time!

I shall not take my nightly serenades and owl pellets for granted.

When the kids were small...they would go in the back yard and look for remnants left from the owls...mice and rat bones, ocassionally a tail, and one year the elementary school needed pellets for the kids to dissect in class, and a host of 4th graders swarmed my yard looking for trinkets and leftovers ( there are two trees o nthe street that for sure have some Owls)....indeed one of Gods gifts! I live across the street now (in a house across the street from when I was married and owned and livedhappilyeverafteras a family- ha), we also had a yearly visit from a "family" every summer of Peregrine falcons. That tree fell one year, 2001, and the falcons never came back after. We would get binoculars and wow...beautiful.