Do you cook meat, fish, eggs, etc for a non-vegan spouse?

Ojibwa

My husband is not a vegan, so I cook meat for him. He has come to love many of my vegan recipes, so I don't have to cook two separate meals as often as I did when I first became vegan. Is your spouse vegan? If not, do you cook for him or her? Who does the shopping? Does it gross you out to watch them eat meat?

When we first started living together...ten years ago, holy crap...I would cook him ground beef for tacos, but that didn't last long because it grossed me out and made me sad. I converted him to boca crumbles. After I became vegan five years ago, I politely asked/demanded for a vegetarian household and by that time, my husband was so used to eating things like Tofurkey slices, etc. that he didn't mind. He never really cooked meat so he was just giving up things like deli slices and bringing meaty pizzas home. I also don't let him buy cows milk or eggs because he absolutely will not finish them before they go bad, so it's a waste.

Now he's a vegetarian and he'll buy frozen cheese pizzas, but I never make non-vegan meals and he loves tofu scramble and vegan cheese (store bought or homemade), plus if he wants something specific like chips or crackers, I try to find a vegan version so we can share as much as possible.

BUT he's a picky bastard so if I want something with leafy greens or tomatoes I either add those things in after I give him his plate of food, or I tell him he's on his own for the evening if I want something that he really won't eat. I would never cook him a separate meal, his hands aren't broken.

No frakking way. I promised myself that I would never date a man that wasn't vegan anymore after dating a string of non-vegan ones. The one that sent me over the edge, I had lived with him for 2 years and he thought that if he was blood type O it meant he HAD to eat meat (bullsh*t btw, he never says you have to eat anything in the blood type books), so I told him he'd have to get his own pan with his own lid and to cover it with a mesh lid at the very least so that cadaver (spelling?) grease wasn't all over my kitchen, and he'd have to use his own sponge for cleaning it lol. He'd get meat like twice a week, the house would stink and it broke my heart as well as made me want to puke. I just can't do it anymore.

When I met my husband, he wasn't vegan, and I told him it wouldn't work because of that haha. He insisted that we should be together, so I made him watch Earthlings and meet your meat, thinking it would shoo him away - he realised going vegan was the right thing to do =)

My $0.02

My husband is an omnivore. I buy most of the groceries, but if he wants meat/dairy/eggs he goes out and buys them himself. He also cooks that stuff himself. It would gross me out plus I have no idea how to cook meat/dairy/eggs since I learned to cook (for the most part) after I went vegan.

Typically he eats a vegan dinner with me, then if he wants a snack later he can make whatever. He also makes his own sandwiches and what-not for lunch. We were pretty clear before we moved in together that any non-vegan stuff he would need to take care of himself.

I am a very very lucky girl! My significant other really loves to support me in whatever endeavors I really believe in. Since I have become vegan, he has been eating vegan with me when I am around. We joke and call him a vegan by night or halfie V. I know he eats supreme pizzas when I not there but he really has been a big support for me through all of this... he would never make me cook him a steak!

My wife and kids are vegan so there's no problem now. My wife used to eat a little dairy a few years ago, I wouldn't prepare it for her. It was a bit gross having it in the house but not a huge problem.

With Daiya and the coconut ice creams nowadays there's just no reason to go back...

I went on the search for a vegetarian boyfriend and I found a vegan one!

My sisters wouldnt have followed in my vegan footsteps if it werent for products like daiya, coconut ice creams, toffuti cream cheeses... etc

I dont even allow friends or family to bring animal product foods in my house!