Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Green smoothies = bad, according to Happy Herbivore
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am 
Stegosaurus

mrsbadmouth wrote:
But I am not trying to maintain a 1200 calorie diet devoid of oil, avocados, nuts, or seeds, so what do I know.

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head right there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 am 
Elephant

lobsteriffic wrote:
I think at the end of the day if a green smoothie means you are getting greens and fruits that you wouldn't otherwise be eating, they're a wonderful thing.

Exactly! I have a smoothie for breakfast every weekday. It's just water, fruit, veg, and protein powder. Through it I start my day with a few handfuls of spinach, half an apple, half a pear, half a banana, and a handful of blueberries, plus 25g of protein. If I weren't having my smoothie, I wouldn't be sitting down and starting my day eating that same food. I'd be having a bowl of cereal in soya milk or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 am 
Elephant

Baby Hercules wrote:
Truth be told, I hadn't even read the article because my Full-of-Crap-O-Meter was burying the needle. I just went back and read it and, Glory be, wouldn't you know it? I was completely right.

Paging Dr. Campbell:

Every statement you made is easily--and I mean easily--refuted. Fiber too finely broken down because it's blended, not chewed? What do you do, swallow your fruit whole? If you chew, you're breakin' it down, fella. It's called a smoothie because it's thick and it's thick because it's packed with suspended fiber. Back to eight grade physics with you.

Not enough saliva to digest it properly? Take smaller sips; stop imitating a summer cola commercial by tipping it back like a volleyball player on the beach. Smoothies are more fun when they're savored, anyway. If it doesn't taste good enough to savor, you're not makin' it right. Experiment until you look forward to your Blender Time every day. Life is too short for nasty smoothies. I'm gonna put that on a bumpersticker.

Smoothies are solid sugar? Duh--depends on what you put in them, Mr. Science. I've always thought a "smoothie" was when you put the apple in the blender and a "juice" was when you put the apple in the juicer. What, do you open a carton of Minute Maid, upend it over tub of fruit on the bottom yogurt, and hit "Pulse?" That ain't a legal smoothie. I've always used whole fruit. As a matter of fact, the aforementioned apple goes right into my blender unscathed by knives. I only remove the stem and the organic sticker from the peel. A good blender fears no seeds; a good smoothie needs no sweeteners.

I really don't think anybody in a bodybuilding forum is gonna give a rat's patootie about a measly 100 calorie discrepancy just because they swallowed their fruit instead of working up a sweat chewing it. Heck, I'm burning more than 100 calories pounding out this love letter to you right now, Herr Doktor. Wanna score an extra 100 calories? Pick up the weights that other people left laying around the weightroom and put them back where they belong in between your sets. Nothing bad about that. And you can celebrate with a green smoothie.

Gasp! Smoothies are 400 to 800 calories? Well, clutch the pearls, I sure as peanuts hope they are! This is a bodybuilding community, Sir. Our daily challenge is finding enough fuel to keep our super powered engines gunned. Athletes live in a rarified zone of high performance workouts and high performance food. Otherwise, why would anybody come up with bizarre things like powdered protein and Goo? Criminy, if I drank a mere 200 calorie smoothie before working out, I'd have to run home twice for more before the end of my workout just to keep my stomach from rumbling. Luckily, I live across the street from my gym...hmmm....

Dr. Campbell, I think you got a skewed sense of nutritional reality by watching non-athletes file in and out of a Jamba Juice or something. Yes, some smoothies are glorified ice cream sodas. Yes, many people shovel it in without thinking. Yes, low calorie is the way to go if you lead a sedentary life and own no gym clothes.

But this is Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. So, stick that in your blender and puree it. :boxer:

Baby Herc

I'M NOT WORTHY I'M NOT WORTHY!!! You are my new idol!!! I love picking up after everyone at the gym and putting the weights away :) I love my green smoothies although I am guilty of adding Simply Orange orange juice..... But mine is loaded full of other yummy goodies

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 pm 
Elephant

Synny667 wrote:
adding Simply Orange orange juice..... But mine is loaded full of other yummy goodies

When the oranges I'm using are a little on the pithy, bland side, I'll drop in a dollop of organic orange juice concentrate to bump it up, but only in desperation or when I need a little extra sugar. Like on a leg day.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 pm 
Elephant

I would use oranges but I am not good at picking produce lol. And there isn't a produce guy around when I need one either :(

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 am 
Rabbit

I say if it helps you get in more produce, it's a keeper. Most of the stuff offered at Jamba Juice and Smoothie King are not worth it. But a green smoothie or juice from my kitchen or a fab raw place in town are fantastic. Smoothies don't always have to be pseudo milkshakes.

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriet.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 am 
Rabbit

I didn't even click the article. There's nothing bad you can say about green smoothies. They're the perfect food!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Stegosaurus

Wish I'd seen this sooner, I could have used a few good laughs last week (especially thanks to Herc and her awesome response to the article!)

Like I say often 'round these parts, there's always people in the vegan community who need to "stir up controversy" in order to draw attention to their websites, blogs, etc. by coming up with semi-junk science just for the sake of increasing visibility and web traffic. I take the article as being along those lines based on what I was able to see.

Anyone who makes a blanket statement of inferring that green smoothies in general are like eating a milkshake obviously either has ZERO concept of how to make a decent healthy smoothie without turning it into a health disaster, or, is simply just saying a bunch of b.s. to see what responses they'll get (again, to simply drive up web traffic and get more attention, which for some will translate to more advertising revenue dollars in the end).

I was going to type out a lot of ranting and raving to continue to pick apart the absurdities in the article's logic that are so terribly obvious, but it's hardly worth the effort. Let's just hope it hasn't convinced people who were drinking otherwise healthy green smoothies to abandon their drinks in favor of something less beneficial, such as the old bowl of cereal and soy milk....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
Wish I'd seen this sooner, I could have used a few good laughs last week (especially thanks to Herc and her awesome response to the article!)

As long as we're sharing the love, Ryan, I will point out that Vegan Essentials was posted clearly by somebody as a go-to source for vegan calimari on my local New Seasons Questions and Answers Board. :heart:

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 pm 
Stegosaurus

Awww....thanks much, Herc - it's always appreciated when people pass on the good word about VeganEssentials.com! :)

BTW, we should hopefully have some interesting new seafood alternatives coming in soon, so if you liked the Sophie's vegan calamari, just wait a bit and we'll have more options!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
Awww....thanks much, Herc - it's always appreciated when people pass on the good word about VeganEssentials.com! :)

BTW, we should hopefully have some interesting new seafood alternatives coming in soon, so if you liked the Sophie's vegan calamari, just wait a bit and we'll have more options!

Hey, it was entirely on your own merit--I didn't post the recommendation, only noticed it up there. Wanted you to know you have groupies in Portland. I mean besides me :wink:

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Stegosaurus

Ah, so much for my reading comprehension today :) Still, glad you let me know about it! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:36 pm 
Rabbit

The original article was taken down and replaced with almost the same thing, minus the part about burning 100 extra calories by chewing everything you would put into a green smoothie*. Also, the comments are closed so no one can see how the majority of them did not agree.

*Probably because this was the point that most people were calling bullshit on.

(I ordered a five pound bag of Stonewall's from VE yesterday for my husband's Valentine's Day.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks much, mrsbadmouth! We always appreciate your support! :)