itsjustrobbiesjournalok UK Vegan Bodybuilding

Ouch, my hamstrings and triceps are fubar'd! Nice workout and you have gotta love getting to the gym before everyone else does!

Straight legged deadlift

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

Romanian Deadlift

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

Tricep Push down (Rope)

16 x 21kg

9 x 24.5kg

12 x 21kg

Skullcrushers

12 x 22.5kg

12 x 22.5kg

12 x 22.5kg

Tricep Dips

12/10

Leg Curl (single leg)

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I feel about Sunday morning workouts, I like the idea but as the gym doesn't open till 10 it means its quite busy straight away with large groups working chest with each other! Good workout whatever though, although I was obviously feeling a bit dim and couldn't figure out why the wrist curls felt so hard till I realised I was doing them palm down. Doh!

Barbell Overhead Press

12 x 30kg

12 x 30kg

12 x 30kg

Dumbbell Lateral Raise

12 x 5kg

12 x 5kg

12 x 5kg

Face Pull

12 x 17.5kg

12 x 17.5kg

12 x 21kg

Wrist Curl

15 x 10kg

15 x 17.5kg

15 x 17.5kg

Dumbbell Wrist Twist

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

Upright Row

12 x 25kg

12 x 25kg

12 x 25kg

So yesterday was leg day and as expected I was walking a bit strange afterwards! Good session though, increased weight on lifts and kept my stomach down so a good result! Not the best day for food however, felt a bit queasy after lunch and getting my mid afternoon protein shake into me was a struggle as was dinner and no bedtime shake. A more varied meal plan that either tastes better cold or reheats in a microwave is needed. Food is still getting me down a bit though - especially when I think about all the lovely lean protein options I had as a meat eater! Oh well. More tofu!

Squat

12 x 77.5kg

12 x 77.5kg

12 x 77.5kg

Leg Press

12 x 55kg

12 x 55kg

12 x 55kg

Calf Raise (on leg press)

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

Standing Calf Raise (smith machine)

15 x 60kg

15 x 60kg

15 x 60kg

Leg Extension

12 x 35kg

12 x 35kg

12 x 35kg

Woke up feeling pretty rough today but dragged myself to the gym for 0630 anyway, in hindsight probably not the best idea and I really should have dropped some of the intensity or volume... Felt like crap afterwards and thought I was going to be sick a few times on the way to work, getting some solid food into me did the trick though and just feel a bit achy with a sore throat now. Hopefully some food and an early night tonight will have me feeling better tomorrow - one advantage of veganism seems to be that I am rarely ill and always recover pretty quickly.

Bench Press

12 x 47.5kg

12 x 47.5kg

12 x 47.5kg

Incline Bench Press

12 x 32.5kg

12 x 32.5kg

12 x 32.5kg

Incline DB Press

12 x 16kg

12 x 16kg

12 x 16kg

Incline DB Flye

12 x 12kg

12 x 12kg

12 x 12kg

EZ Bicep Curl

12 x 25kg

12 x 25kg

12 x 22.5kg

Close Grip Chin Up

4/3

Some good and some bad news, good news is that I had a non workout day and consumed every last morsel of food I had planned including my bedtime shake and nuts (so unheard of). Just adding a hot potato to one of my cold meals jazzes it up enough to be interesting and easy to east and also I am having the occasional sandwich. Whilst this may not be your traditional protein + rice + broccoli meal I figured that while gaining weight its more important to eat something than worry about what it is sometimes (especially when you struggle with weight gain as I do). I can worry about it more when the time comes to strip some bodyfat off.

Other great news is I have seen the scales move upwards for the first time in ages! 72.2kg this morning although I should have another weigh in in a few days to check its definitely going up.

Bad news is I have bailed on the gym this morning. Was a difficult decision and I was awake and ready to go but a day of rest is a better idea. Although I only have a killer sore throat, I've been feeling under the weather for a few days and generally a bit run down so missing one day isn't going to be too big a deal. I will be back in tomorrow for sure

Another day off training today, I shocked I'm still feeling rubbish and I appear to have developed a cold today! Will be spending most of today with my head over a bowl of steam to try and clear everything out.

Also I have had some wheat gluten arrive so will be trying my hand at making some seitan later (all hail seitan!)

Did some updated measurements from about 4 weeks ago and was surprised to see I've added some size despite only being slightly heavier. I could do with someone to help with the measuring though as it could just be me doing it in different places! Someone to help with some skinfold measurements would be great too.

3 days without the gym has left me a little stir-crazy! Still not feeling 100% but definitely on the mend. Gonna go in tomorrow and pick up where I left off with a back workout and just keep the weight down. Bit rubbish that as things started to come together they got knocked back. Also feel crap that I was ill for so long, since turning vegan I'm used to feeling a bit pants for a day then shrugging it off - probably the fact I am not eating just fruit and veg that is doing that though. Lots more food that has been through some kind of process - although still not anything unhealthy. I guess this is the time of year for colds though and they happen to us all at some point!

Well my plan of getting back into the gym and going to work didn't go so well! Felt like I had a good nights sleep despite waking up twice in the night. Got myself to the gym and felt so drained. I couldn't believe how tired I was. Tried a few reps of my plan but decided to come home to bed instead. Maybe I will just take this whole week off. Seeing as Wednesday was my last proper gym day if I pick back up on Friday it will be a weeks worth missed and probably best for me.

So heres my intro.

Name: Robbie

Height: 5'10

Starting Weight: Stuck at 72kg (158lbs)

About me: Ex smoker, drinker and party animal turned health freak! In 2007 I gave up smoking and my life turned around. I've raced sprint and olympic level triathlons, ran 20minute 5k's and 42minute 10k's and cycled 155 miles in 9 hours. As a classic ectomorph I have always been small in frame and found adding muscle difficult. I did starting strength back in 07/08 and got to 75kg in bodyweight but the more I got into endurance sport the less weight lifting I did until it all stopped. I have struggled in the past with unsupportive partners too...

This time I am doing it right though! My goals are to add more muscle and get to a point where I can lean up a little (although I am far from fat) and although some strength gains would be nice my goals are mainly to look better. I have been back in the gym for about 3/4months and seen some good gains which appear to have stalled but as of the end of January are now going back up (thanks to a 4500 calorie workout day menu). My main focus for bodyparts is it have awesome legs (especially calfs) and freaky forearms!

I have been Vegan since December 2010 and although it makes bodybuilding hard sometimes - it is one of the most worthwhile decisions I have made (after quitting smoking) and has changed my outlook in so many positive ways.

I try to weigh myself on Saturday and Sunday to check my weight is going up but also judging on how I look in the mirror, will be measuring myself monthly as well.

Current PB lifts

Deadlift: 8 x 110kg (no straps only chalk)

Flat Bench: 8 x 60kg

Squat: 8 x 90kg (below parallel)

Current measurements in cm (inches) and are unpumped and not tensed. I'm doing these myself so how accurate they are I don't know!

Quad (right) - 57 (22.4)

Calf (right) - 36.5 (14.4)

Hips - 92 (36.2)

Waist - 86 (33.9)

Chest - 93 (36.6)

Shoulders - 108 (42.6)

Forearm (left) - 27 (10.6)

Bicep (left) - 31 (12.2)

Neck - 37.5 (14.

Workout schedule depends each week as I go to the gym before work (630am) and cannot go on a Tuesday or Thursday. But if the programme starts on a Monday it works like so...

Monday - Quads/Calfs

Tuesday -Rest

Wednesday - Chest/Biceps

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Back/Calfs

Saturday - Hamstrings/Triceps

Sunday - Abs **this day never changes**

Monday - Shoulders/Forearms

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Repeat

I am currently doing 3 x 12 with a 60second rest between sets, reps are slow and controlled with a focus on good form and where possible I increase the weight each workout or do extra reps to keep the programme progressive.

Finally back in the gym today, feels like I have been away forever!

Decided to put dead lift back in (although not sure if that will last). I'm clearly still not 100% as it felt incredibly hard despite a much lower weight that I am capable of. Felt really sick after the 2nd set so moved on to do something else instead and decided to do everything else with less weight than usual. Calf raises were done much slower than usual with a squeeze of the muscle at the top and the bottom of the movement. Had my first go at donkey calf raises today (on my own) as the decline bench works quite nicely having something to hold whilst doing them. Unfortunately the gyms dipping belt was missing a clip so I couldn't add any weight and will have to remember to take my own in future. All in all today wasn't the greatest ever workout - but its good to be back!

Had to visit the doctors today as I have moved surgery and had an appointment with a nurse. Very pleased to see my blood pressure is very good (although I forget the numbers). Was a bit disappointed to find out I am half an inch shorter than I thought though also my weight showed as 78kg which is much higher than I would expect (even with clothes and food in me) Maybe I should have toned down my eating a little more whilst I was ill!

Dead Lift

10 x 50kg

2 x 60kg

2 x 70kg

12 x 80kg

12 x 80kg

2 x 80kg

Dumb bell row

12 x 12kg

12 x 12kg

12 x 12kg

Calf Raise (smith machine)

12 x 40kg

12 x 40kg

12 x 40kg

Calf Raise (leg press)

12 x 50kg

8 x 50kg

Pull Ups

6/6/5

Donkey Calf Raise

15 x 0kg

15 x 0kg

15 x 0kg

Hey Robbie! Great job with your journaling! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

All the best,

Karen

Eurgh! My scales say I've gained 1kg in a week and that can't be good! I'm guessing I probably should have toned down my eating whilst I was at home ill and not in the gym...

Still not sure I am getting the romanian deadlifts right, I used my wrist straps for the first time properly on these as its usually my grip that gives up first (especially after SLDL) but if anything if felt harder on the grip - very odd! I felt more like my lower back got a workout than my hamstrings? Another movement that doesn't feel right is the skullcrusher, but its only the second week of doing these so I guess they will come eventually. Hey its not like anyone else in the gym uses decent form on anything!

Straight legged dead lift

10 x 20kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

Romanian dead lift

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

Tricep pulldowns (rope)

12 x 21.25kg

12 x 21.25kg

12 x 21.25kg

Tricep dips

10/10/10

Skullcrushers (ez bar)

12 x 22.5kgs

12 x 22.5kgs

12 x 22.5kgs

Leg Curl (single leg)

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

I'm not a fan of working shoulders, mainly because mine are so bloody weak and I seem to struggle to make any progress. I could do with taking my fractional plates into the gym so I can make smaller steps. Quite tempted to move away from 3 x 12 from shoulders too. Its been about 12 hours since my workout and my wrists/forearms/grip is still fubared! Awesome

Overhead Press

12 x 20kg

12 x 32.5kg

11 x 32.5kg

8 x 32.5kg

Seated dumbbell press

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

Face Pull

12 x 21kg

12 x 21kg

12 x 21kg

Standing side raise

12 x 5kg

12 x 5kg

12 x 5kg

Barbell wrist curl (palms up)

15 x 17.5kg

15 x 17.5kg

15 x 17.5kg

Dumbbell wrist twist

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

Dumbbell wrist curl (palms down)

10 x 4kg

15 x 4kg

15 x 4kg

Woo! Leg day! It should have been yesterday but its been so long since I worked out on a Tuesday (if in fact ever at all) that my body said no. Had a great workout, decided to add more weight to my previous session despite having a gap in training and I'm glad I did. My legs are smashed and somehow I managed to keep my breakfast down. I had planned to do some weighted donkey calf raises but the dipping belt has gone missing from the gym so swapped for seated calf raises (which are cr4p).

Squat

10 x 0kg

10 x 20kg

3 x 50kg

2 x 60kg

2 x 70kg

12 x 80kg

12 x 80kg

12 x 80kg

Leg Press

12 x 55kg

12 x 60kg

12 x 60kg

Calf Raise (smith)

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

Seated Calf Raise

15 x 17.5kg

25 x 17.5kg

25 x 17.5kg

Leg Extension

12 x 40kg

12 x 40kg

12 x 40kg

9 x 30kg

Am suffering from some serious doms today from my leg session. That may or may not be a sign of a good workout but at least I can feel which bits were worked!

First time in ages doing decline bench press today. My previous chest sessions always feel like my shoulders get most of the workout so I'm trying to do exercises that hit the chest more. Also swapped dumbbell flys for cable crossover which was easier to hit good form with.

Decline barbell press

10 x 20kg

3 x 30kg

12 x 40kg

12 x 45kg

12 x 45kg

Incline dumbbell press

10 x 18kg

10 x 18kg

6 x 18kg

8 x 16kg

Cable crossover

12 x 2.5kg

12 x 5kg

12 x 7.5kg

EZ barbell curl

12 x 27.5kg

12 x 27.5kg

12 x 25kg

Close grip chin up

4 / 3 / 2

Brr, -7.5 degrees on the way to the gym this morning, makes me glad I'm going to a gym and not running/cycling anymore

Not feeling my strongest this morning which can be seen with my pitiful pull up attempts! It has to be said though I do always full extend at the bottom of the pull up and there is no kicking on the way up so they are 'good' ones! My pendlay rows never feel like they are making any progress (although I haven't done them for a little while) so I may switch to DB row for a few months. First time doing donkey calf raises and they definitely feel like they are working! Decided to do lighter weight for these (as the weight is loaded up on a dip belt) with higher reps and do higher weight less reps with the raises on the leg press. Leg press reps were also super setted with some standing calf raises and some light stretching.

Wide grip pull up

7 / 5 / 3

Barbell Pendlay row

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

Donkey calf raise

15 x 25kg

20 x 25kg

20 x 25kg

Wide grip pulldown

12 x 35kg

12 x 40kg

12 x 40kg

Close grip pulldown

12 x 30kg

12 x 35kg

12 x 35kg

Calf raise on leg press

12 x 80kg

6 x 90kg

**Standing calf raise x 40**

6 x 90kg

**Standing calf raise x 40**

7 x 80kg

**Standing calf raise x 10**

15 x 50kg

Pull up bar hold

1 x 30secs

1 x 24secs

1 x 20secs

I'm not sure I have ever done a day of just ab work before... Until today! A few of the movements are new to me so just trying out different weights today really and figuring out what I like doing. Had a lucky escape after my workout when I left my iPhone in the changing rooms whilst I showered - fortunately the cleaner saw it and came and found me. Phew!

Hanging leg raise

10 x straight leg

10 x bent leg

10 x bent leg

10 x bent leg

Cable crunch

15 x 6.25kg

15 x 6.25kg

15 x 13.5kg

15 x 13.5kg

Cable rotation (

)