Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sherrie's Starting Over
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 am 
Rabbit

February, eh?

Oh man do I hurt. It's flare-up time and I hurt my knee while moving on Sunday, so i'm not a happy camper. Throw in the Candida news and I am really not happy. Sugar and yeast have to go at first, and maybe more after that. I want to clear out the no-no's before jumping in 100%, but know I should jump in right now. Oy.

Tuesday exercise - seated yoga

Wednesday exercise - seated yoga poses, wall pushups (I tried to get to the floor and my knee could not handle the stress. Grr)

B - tofu scramble with tomatoes and garlic, black coffee, water

L - big old salad - fridge cleaner with romaine, cukes, carrots, celery, diced apple and lemon juice with flax and olive oil. I'll cut the cukes or apples next time. They did not go as well together as I'd hoped. Live and learn, right?

D - hummus on whole wheat pita with onions, cukes, and romaine, tea, water

Wish me luck. It's going to be a long one.

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriet.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm 
VBB Moderator

Great work keeping up with your fitness journal, I will recommend you for a prize pack for sure. Also thanks for the recommendation on the cookbooks. I will check them out. I hope you continue to post your journal. I think we have all been gaining a lot from being able to see see each others journals, ask questions, see what others are doing, and help motivate each other. I know I have.

-Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 pm 
Gorilla

You are so kind, Sherrie!

So, Candida, huh? Hmm.... My dad went to a naturopath (spelling?) several years ago and had to cut out sugar, gluten, and dairy from his diet, as he had really bad asthma. He's avoided those things for years now, and his asthma has pretty much disappeared! Yet, once in a while, if he has more than a tiny bit of sugar or dairy, his asthma comes right back. Amazing how much food affects us, eh?

Hope your knee is feeling well again soon.

And, yes, great job on your journal this month! Dylan and I are both Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness team members, and are working together with Robert to identify all the prize recipients for the NYNY challenge, and you've done such a great job! We received the email you sent with your journal information, so just know that we'll be shipping out prize packages beginning in about a week. I'm so excited for these prize packages, as they're going to be great! :D

Thanks for all your support, both of VB&F and my own journey!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 am 
Rabbit

Thanks, Dylan and Karen. I am so not going anywhere. This is a great place for me to be and it is helping me keep positive through the pain. And oh man is there pain.

I've noticed an issue with certain foods for a while and cut dairy years ago because of it. When I'd have just a little ice cream or cheese, my sinuses would almost instantly block and I'd feel sluggish. I know what I need to do, but am just not feeling it at the moment. When I hurt, I tend to look toward comfort foods. Even though I've gained control of my emotional eating, I still crave sweets. It goes back to childhood and those Nutter Butter and milk snack while we watched wrestling or boxing. Those buggers are not healthy at all, but they are vegan and are fantastic with almond milk. Just putting that out there, lol.

Thank you for the support and inspiration! This has been an amazing experience and I do not want it to end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 am 
Rabbit

Thursday, February 2. Time is flying by. :sigh: It has been a long and painful day, but I'm keeping positive as I hobble about. Even my gripes are positive according to the family, so I'm doing something right. I've been cleaning the fridge and pantry in prep for my cleanse. I got teary at the grocery store last night while reading labels and realizing how many of my favs are off limits for me. At least until I get control of this fungus and kick it to the curb. Today I giggled with glee when I realized I can bake a traditional yeast-free whole wheat sourdough for sandwich days and could give it a shot as a pizza crust. I will get through this without ending up curled in the fetal position and bawling my eyes out.

B - Ezekiel cereal, almond milk, strawberries, and grapes. Black coffee, multivitamin, probiotic, and water

S - walnus

L - big bowl of romaine, carrots, cukes, and black beans with salsa, decaf tea with lemon

D - J's requested (belated) birthday Japanese feats - hibachi veggies, salad with ginger dressing, sweet potato sushi (swoon), orange slices, iced tea. It was slammed tonight and the server refilled my glass with sweet tea. I ignored it and went for water. This was HUGE. What was uncool was the use of chicken stock in the miso soup. Grr. No soup for me.

Bedtime. Here's to a great night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 am 
Gorilla

Alright, Sherrie!!! Woohoo! Celebrate the little achievements in life! Like your dinner choices at the restaurant! It's those little choices that really, really, really, really add up! As for the major changes you're making.... I don't know what they all are, but just keep at it, and in time it'll be second nature, and you'll have found new favorites. :) My coach told me "days go by slowly, but weeks go by quickly".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:56 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks, Karen. it seems the days and weeks are flying by, especially lately.

The major changes involve implementing sugar and yeast-free way of eating without making myself or my family crazier. Yes, crazier because one of us are quite right some days, lol.

Have a fantastic weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:13 pm 
Rabbit

Friday, February 3

I really wish I'd taken out the major shopping before the weekend. Not only is it Superbowl weekend, it's pay weekend for just about everyone and it seems 90% of them are in the stores. I am hurting and not the most patient of people today. The positive high I had yesterday is still here, but oh man is it down a bunch.

Two 5 minute yoga sessions and a walk to my neighbor's house and back were it for exercise today. Moving at all hurts, including blinking, breathing, etc.

B - tofu scramble, fresh veggie juice with garlic and lemon ( I so needed it), black coffee, water

L - hummus on wheat pita with lettuce and onion, grapes, tea, water

D - tofu 'fish' fillet, lemon juice, fries, Happy Herbivore's crab cake (yeah, baby), hush puppies, tea, water

I need to get my veggie intake back up. I miss my greens! The sleepless night made it very easy for me to not care if I even ate or not, but I did. I kept on the veg track, just not the healthiest track. But I am paying attention to what I'm eating, taking notes, and making sure the grocery list is full of goodness.

Peace, all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:41 am 
Gorilla

Does yeast=gluten?

Have you tried Xevia natural sodas? Pretty tasty, and I bet your family would like them. They're 0 calories and sweetened with stevia. Hey, can you still have other sweetners like maple syrup, agave nectar, etc.? I have a cookbook called "Scatter Vegan Sweets" that uses lots of natural sweetner alternatives to sugar. Here's a link to it, if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Scatter-Vegan-Swe ... 898&sr=1-2

I know dietary changes can be so hard, especially when you've got a family to consider. So, good luck!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:53 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for the link, Karen. I added it to my wish list. We have tried Xevia, and no one in the house liked them but me. I cut soda in general ages ago, so I don't think I'll pick it up again anytime soon.

Gluten is the protein and I don't seem to have issues with it. The symptoms for gluten issues and yeast issues are about the same, so if the first set of changes are not enough, then gluten will go next. That would be a bummer since I love seitan. Love and would marry it if I wasn't married already. And gluten could give foot massages.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I definitely need them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm 
Rabbit

Saturday. February 4 or Day I Fed the Gnats

So my son is playing baseball for the first time and stoked. I'm stoked, too, and glad to see him interested in something besides paintball and gaming. Practice was just over 2 1/2 hours and uneventful. The yard sale location across the street from the diamond was eventful - two separate police calls, so yelling, and throwing. Fun times, eh?

Anyway, the gnats were out with a vengeance, and we are all covered with bites and scratches from trying to shoo them. I think I burned off my breakfast by batting those buggers away. The rest of the exercise routine for the day included 1 1/2 mile walk and a 10 minute yoga session. I'm not as sore as I have been, so I decided to push a bit today. I don't think I'll regret it, but time will tell.

B - Ezekiel cereal with strawberries and almond milk, water, probiotic, coffee

L - veggie patty melt (Boca burger and caramelized onions on rye), potato salad, unsweetened iced tea

D - Veg burger (with pickles, onion, ketchup, mustard, and chili), veg dog with chili and onion, chocolate shake, water, probiotic, apple hand pie

I am so gonna pay for the starchy dinner and will probably fall asleep soon. Oy.

Peace, all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:43 pm 
Rabbit

Sunday, February 5, and the reality is kicking in. This is my last day of intentional yeast and sugar ingestion for at least 30 days. I have been cutting back until now. but for some reason thought I would splurge a little before doing what needs to be done. I think my judgement was clouded by pain.

B - vegan doughnuts from Diggity Doughnuts (peanut butter and sirracha), coffee, water

L - gazpacho (it was more than warm enough here in Charleston), water, tea

D - Superbowl Sunday!! Pizza (veggie supreme and veggie pepperoni), tea

S - salt and black pepper cashews, water

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm 
Rabbit

Just a quick check in since it's a busy day. A busy couple of days, actually. My son is playing baseball this year and the practice schedule is a little wonky right now. He's out of school at 4 and rides with a classmate from school to practice. My daughter rides the school bus to their usual stop and we pick her up before heading to practice to snag the boy. It gets hairy when traffic is bad, but we will make it work.

I'm on day two of my no sugar or yeast plan and taking Candigone for the next 15 days. On day 15 I'll decide if I'll go for 30 or not. I was craving sugar earlier, but ate a handful of nuts instead. it helped a lot. More than I expected. Win!

Exercise is again limited to yoga and short sprint walks because now both hips are being weird. Time for yet another appointment. Oy.

Peace, all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 pm 
Gorilla

Sounds like you're a busy lady leading a busy life! Good luck juggling all those balls... I mean, kids. :)

Can you still have fruit? That should help with the sugar cravings, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm 
Rabbit

Berries and green apples are good, so I made sure I picked up a few. I snagged grapes for the kids when shopping last night and see them whenever I open the fridge door. :sigh: I've done a lower carb plan before and can do it again. It seems different now because I have to do it this time and I wanted to do it before.

Dang kids are running me ragged, lol. Baseball, senior year activities and meeting, and teen angst are the trifecta of parental stress these days.

Thanks for the comments and support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next