Portia's training diary 2012

Even though this was a month’s challenge I will still keep updating my journal as I am doing Skip Lacours bulking and cutting challenge and I need to keep an updated journal on Bodybuilding.com for this.

It has been a great month and I just want to Thank Robert for all his hard work and information available on the website to newbie Vegans!!

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was biceps

Barbell curls 40/12 40/12 40/11+4

Incline curls 15/13 17.5/8 17.5/7+4

Alternating curls 17.5/10 17.5/10 17.5/9+5

Preacher curls 30/12 30/9 30/9+4

Leg raises -/15 -/15 -/15

Ball crunches -/15 -/15 -/15

Workout was pretty good I’d say 7/10 for intensity. I kept pushing for that extra rep to beat last week’s workout.

At the moment I’m probably eating around 1800-1900 calories probably looking to slightly increase not sure where as I have not been feeling hungry between meals. Maybe add another meal somewhere?

I don’t feel like I am putting on weight I can still belt up my pants on the same notch. I feel pretty good I seem to be increasing every week if I don’t think my form is good I won’t go up until I have got it.

Today was shoulders

Shoulder press (machine) 60/17 65/10 70/9+2

Rear delt (machine) 55/12 55/12 55/12+4

Lateral raises (DB) 10/10 10/10 10/10+5

Upright rows 50/12 50/12 50/9+4

I finished off with some Ab work.

I usually do lateral raises on the cables but it seemed to be busy today so opted for dumbbells, I smashed my shoulders today struggling to lift my arms over my head you just can’t beat that feeling of knowing you have pushed yourself.

Tomorrow is Cardio so will do 30 minutes on the treadmill again various terrains and pace, will probably finish with some abs and stretches. That will be another great week at the gym!

Today was cardio

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill various inclines and speeds was really tough and my legs are hrting now, also my shoulders are sore from yesterdays workout.

The intesity is great on all my work outs and feeling stronger by the day but feeling a little bit chunky today i weighed in 157lbs i feel like i'm holding so much water, But the bigger picture is i am eating good food to build muscle

I have decided to tweak my food slightly as i seem to be having 4 shakes a day to get protein in but its costing a fortune so will be having the same meal twice a day sweet potato, spinach and tofu.

On the protein front Whole foods had genuine health Vegan plus 30% off until tomorrow so popped in to get 3 as they were $12 each off normal price i paid walked out and when i checked the receipt she had only charged me for 2, i think it was the end of her shift and someone was waiting to take over from her so think she was just rushing but i got a better deal than i had planned!!

Food from Monday will be

1847 calories

Protein- 155g

Carbs- 172g (this may get reduced depending on how i feel)

Fats-72g

back

Deadlifts 50/12 50/12 50/12+6 go up to 55 next week

Bent over rows 30/10 30/10 30/10

Wide seated rows 70/15 70/15 75/8+5

Narrow Pull downs 55/15 70/12 70/12+8 Go up to 75 next week

The workout went well I increased on the deadlift and bent over row but my mind was not completely in the game, I have had some sort of upset stomach I’m guessing from a habanero salsa I bought it was so spicy and I rarely eat spicy food it seems to of caused me a great deal of discomfort this weekend still feel so bloated and like I am carrying a few pounds of extra water.

I know people say lift heavy as a woman but I’m confused as I lift heavy for me I am increasing every week so I assume I am getting there? My arms have shown a difference recently and shoulders just got to keep laying a brick every day to get where I want.

Drinking plenty of green tea and water today to sort me out, I get an hour for my lunch which I usually spend reading the paper but today and probably a few times a week I will venture out for a walk as the weather is nice and it will re-energize me for the rest of the day.

Today was shoulders

Shoulder press 20/15 22.5/12 25/6+1

I reverted back to dumbells for these they were tough!!

Lateral raises 10/10 10/10 10/10

Dumbells again for these

Rear dealt machine 55/12 55/12 55/12+3

They felt really good

Upright rows 50/12 50/12 50/12+3

They felt really tough but lifted a few reps more than last week

I did some decline abs work to finish, I would give it 7/10 for intensity my stomachs still bothering me so hopefully tomorrow I will be back to 10/10 workouts!!

I am lifting heavier every week so progress is being made, tomorrow is legs so I want to be hitting 10/10 for intensity and lifting heavy to grow these bad boys!!!

Things good about today

Completed workout

Ate clean

Drank 4 liters water

Listened to motivational podcasts

Updated journal

Things to improveMy stomach!

Get a bit more sleep today I felt really tired after the gym

To make things more enjoyable

Watch more motivational videos

Make a video blog rather than typing!

Today was legs and I smashed them- feeling much better today

Squats 20/15 40/11 50/7

Done with an Olympic bar, the last set was really hard

Leg press 160/12 170/10 180/6 +3

Increased on last weeks was really happy I am progressing

Leg extension 45/17 50/12 60/8+4

Will go up next week

Leg curls 50/15 70/12 85/12+5

Will go up next week

Stiff legged deadlifts 50/13 60/8 60/8+3

I Love doing these

Calf raises (hammer strength) 50/15 50/15 60/12 60/12 60/12+4

These were killers I prefer using this rather than leg press

My legs were shaking at the end really pushed myself and increased weights, it was a really intense workout I gave my all 9/10, no 10 as there’s always room for improvement.

Today was biceps

Barbell curls 40/13 40/12 50/3+1

I will get 6 on 50 next week

Hammer curls 17.5/11 17.5/11 20/5+3

These were great

Alternating curls 17.5/11 17.5/11 20/5+2

Felt pumped after these

Concentration Curls 17.5/5 15/6 15/7+4

These were killers my biceps were dead doing these

I finished off with some abs work.

I would give myself 9/10 for this workout as I pushed myself increased weights & reps and just really focused on using that muscle!

Does anyone else feel sometimes after a workout you could have given a little bit more? I felt I had given a 100% and by the end by biceps were throbbing but after I had a shower and re –energized myself I thought could I off done a bit more? But then on my way to work it was hard to text on my phone as my biceps were hurting when I held the phone up so who knows?!! Will write this up in my book and remember this for tomorrows work out!

I will post some progress photos over the next few days just of arms and shoulders legs are still a work in progress!! Training hard and thinking big with them though. I Will also try do a video blog this weekend.

Hi pphelps just thought I would stop by and say thanks for your advice. I think reading or listening to some motivational material is a good idea and something I should start doing to help keep me positive.

I think a vlog is great idea I look forward to seeing them.

Have a great weekend

Today was chest & triceps

Dumb bell bench press 27.5/10 27.5/10 30/5+1

I could get one more rep after the last set I pushed myself

Chest flyes 15/15 17.5/10 20/6+3

Wet up again on these

Assisted dips 130/14 120/9 110/6+3

I enjoy doing these my aim to be able to my own

Skull crushers 30/14 30/12 30/12+4

I didn’t want to go up to 40 as my form goes funny may try them next time

Single triceps pull-down 5/17 10/8 10/8+2

My left arm failed at 7 on the 2nd set and I got 6 and 2 out at my last set

Today was a great workout and I felt good, also lifted more than last week. My strength seems to get better each week.

I would give this 9/10 really good workout, I listened to a skip LaCour podcast from 5 December, 2011 was quite interesting and I think I just expect too much too soon so just got to keep going, plus I am eating more to build muscle to I will be carrying that little bit of extra weight and it is little but the end result will be worth it.

I am also going to logging my days without peanut butter as I feel I have a peanut butter addiction that needs to be killed off!! Just going to using flax oil as healthy fats and a bit of avocado as I know I won’t be tempted to have a few more spoons of flax, you might think its strange logging it but just like logging the workouts it makes me more accountable.

Hi pphelps just thought I would stop by and say thanks for your advice. I think reading or listening to some motivational material is a good idea and something I should start doing to help keep me positive.

I think a vlog is great idea I look forward to seeing them.

Have a great weekend

Hey thanks for stopping by, i try and listen on my ipod to some motivational stuff every day or when i'm doing house work it really helps.

we also like to put up pictures of people who inspire or motivate us to do better, it can give you that boost.

another book is feel the fear and do it anyway by susan jeffers she talks about why fear stops us doing stuff i have read it many times and still refer to it now if i feel down or need a pick me up!

Today i did a 20 minute run , i may keep weekends to rest days i when i got up i had no real motivation to do a run or even get out of bed !

but i did and i did not go crazy on the run i was more getting my feet wet for next week when i include 2 20 mins HIIT .

I will post some progress photos later.

I have just been to the chiropractor to get my back and necked cracked feels so much better now i have also noticed a huge difference in my shoulder since i started doing rear delts every shoulder session.

Today was rest day for me just relaxed and made meals for the next few days, i did take some photos but i was not happy with them so will take some more tomorrow after workout i have a great one on myphone but as my phone is the most basic of mobiles i can't bluetooth it to my computer!

Flat bench Press 20/12 27.5/10 30/8+3

Could probably go a little higher

Incline Bench Press 27.5/10 30/4+2

My chest was zapped on last set

Decline Flyes 15/12 17.5/10 +3.5

Could go up on these

Concentration Curl 10/12 15/12+4

I could go heavier

Barbell Curl 50/5 +3

My biceps were totally fatigued and I had gone up

I also did a High Intensity run for 20 minutes I started at 2.3mph then every minute you knock it up until you reach your level 9 which was 6.3mph for the final minute I did 7.3 but I felt I had more in the tank so on Wednesday will start at 2.5 and probably go up .1 every session which will be Monday and Wednesdays.

It was great workout as I could a little bit heavier as my boyfriend (Mattpb) and I trained together and I could get them forced reps out my biceps were huge and my chest was burning.

I would say 8/10 as I still had some left in tank for the run tomorrow is back which I really enjoy doing, well I enjoy all my workouts to be honest it’s all part of building a better body.

Today was back- Managed to train with Mattpb again.

DB Pullover 20/12 25/12 30/15+4

Close grip pull down 70/12 85/10+4

Will go up next week

DB rows 20/12 35/8+5

Can go up again

Wide seated rows 70/12 85+8+3.5

Managed a half rep on last one

BB Deadlifts 50/12 70/4+4+4

My grip failed me more than my back

I had to guess some of the weights as I have not done them before but I know next week I can go up and improve.

Overall intensity was 8/10 as my grip gave up on the deadlift before my back something to work on.

I fell asleep last night at around 8pm I was whacked felt more refreshed when my alarm went off at 4.45am for the gym, my legs were sore after HIIT run yesterday and my hip/ bum on the left side I woke up in the night with it aching will have to keep an eye on it.

Meals were on track today time wise-

Pre- workout

5am

¼ Cup Oats

¼ Cup Berries

1 Protein shake

Post workout

6.45am

Banana

1 Protein shake

8am

¼ Cup oats

10.30am

Spinach salad with tofu, tomatoes, cucumber and sweet potato and 1/8 of avocado

Same as above

½ cup of oats

1 protein shake

Tofu and Broccoli

Protein shake

I really need to do a video blog and post some pictures

I did another HIIT run today I went up to .5 I still felt like I had more in the tank so will go up another .2 on Monday as I felt the intensity level was only 7/10 as I felt I could of done more.

My abs are so sore after doing the Hammer strength oblique’s machine at the gym yesterday it hurts to cough and my triceps are hurting as you have to pull 2 handles at the top and lift your legs at the same time I managed 8x3.

Tomorrow is Shoulders and Triceps; I am feeling a little bit worn out today just drained body wise I am looking forward to rest over the weekend and not going gym my body needs it.

Today was triceps and delts – another workout with Mattpb awesome!

Hammer Strength Shoulder press 30/12 50/12 80/6+2

The last set was too heavy and had be assisted

Lateral raises 7.5/12 12.5/14+4

I will go heavier next week

Low pulley raises 10/11+4

These were tough

Rear delt 40 /12 60/12+7

will go up again next week

Triceps pushdowns 25/12 35/12+5

Lying triceps extensions 30/12 40/6

Too heavy last set had to be assisted

Overhead triceps press 20/12 35/7+4

It was a great workout and I feel like my shoulders have improved greatly over the last month, I was a little disappointed I went to heavy on last set of shoulders press so they were slightly assisted and lying triceps extensions it was too much of a jump from 30lbs to 40 lbs. may have to use z bar and load up myself it was just the convenience of using a pre-weighted bar.

Tomorrow is legs I am looking forward to this workout!

Today was Legs

Leg extension 55/12 85/12 100/13+7

I really need to go up on these

Leg Press 150/12 200/7+5

I was really happy I managed 200lbs

Squats 50/10 60/5

My form completely went on the 2nd set I was wiped out

Stiff legged deadlifts 50/12 70/10 75/8+4

I really love doing these my hamstrings felt worked afterwards

Leg Curls 40/12 85/12 115/10+6

I did not have these written down so did them anyways

Calf raises hammer strength 50/12 70/13 70/15+8

I just kept going on the last set until my calf felt ready to burst!

Calf extension machine 40/12 85/12 115/10+6

I’m not mad on this machine to be honest would rather do 6 sets on h/strength

I missed Mattpb as my workout partner today to get the last half reps out it really makes a difference; my squats were crappy but I had gone up on the leg press and leg extension. Plenty of room for improvements next week, looking forward to the rest over the weekend and hitting it hard again on Monday.

All in all a really good weeks training I am seeing a difference in my arms and shoulders, legs will take time but training hard and thinking BIG!

Today was Chest & Biceps

DB bench press 25/12 27.5/10 32.5/6+2

Inline DB press 27.5/10 30/4+3

Decline Flyes 15/12 20/7+3

Concentration curl 15/12 17.5/8+3

Barbell curls 50/7+3

I made some great progress today lifting more than last week and it felt great, I finished with a 20 minute HIIT run starting at 2.7,3.7,4.7,5.7,6.7 then down and repeat, my final minute was at 7.7 it was not as hard as I thought and there is definitely more in the tank so on Wednesday I will start at 2.9.

I felt more rested today after having a complete rest over the weekend and getting to bed early last night.

Wow, you have an awesome journal going here!

Hope all is great.

Thanks so much for being part of our community. Just prepared a package to ship to you.

All the very best!

-Robert

Hi Robert thank you for the kind comments and checking up on my journal, me and Mattpb are newly vegan so the info on the website is invaluable and we plan on keeping an updated journal as it keeps you on track and.

We look forward to receiving the package and can’t thank you enough for having this website and community.

Hopefully in the future we will be on stage representing the vegans!