Newly Vegan in Austin, TX

byerschad

Hey everyone!

I am a P.E. teacher and conditioning coach in Austin, TX and have been Vegan for 6 months now and I am adjusting well. I love talking to people about the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet. I was vegetarian for a year before and have also tried a Raw diet for a summer, but it was to difficult for me.

I am considering competing in the Naturally Fit Super Show in Austin, TX in July, but I have never done anything like that before. I consider myself a pretty fit guy for a 35 year old, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do it. We'll see...

Currently I am 6'4, 200lbs, 7% BF.

Cheers,

Chad

chad-byers.jpg.f016e1dffcedc342bc46c62e34b6bb5e.jpg

Hey everyone!

I am a P.E. teacher and conditioning coach in Austin, TX and have been Vegan for 6 months now and I am adjusting well. I love talking to people about the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet. I was vegetarian for a year before and have also tried a Raw diet for a summer, but it was to difficult for me.

I am considering competing in the Naturally Fit Super Show in Austin, TX in July, but I have never done anything like that before. I consider myself a pretty fit guy for a 35 year old, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do it. We'll see...

Currently I am 6'4, 200lbs, 7% BF.

Cheers,

Chad

My first thought when I saw your picture was, "Hugh Jackman?"

What is your diet/routine like?

Thanks for the comparison with Hugh, Fallen_Horse and Synny667. Well, my diet is pretty boring and is mostly fruits and veggies. On the weekends I usually juice a couple times a day. A typical weekday looks like this:

6:00am

whole grapefruit

Smoothie (water, almond milk, spinach, apple, banana, carrot, blueberries, flax seed oil and protein mix of pea, hemp, rice)

9:00am

Protein shake (water, pea, hemp, rice)

Larabar

banana

12:00pm

Mixed veggies

Avocado

Protein shake

3:00pm

protein shake

Larabar

apple

6:30pm

mixed veggies

avocado

apple

9:00pm

Post workout smothie (same as breakfast)

My workouts are extremely varied. I usually train 4-5 days/week, depending on how my work schedule. I like to alternate weeks of 5x5 heavy weights and kettlebells with 3x10 lighter weights and body weight exercises and TRX. I like to do circuits with little to no rest between sets in order to get my cardio in at the same time or I'll finish with 10-15 min of HIIT on the concept 2 rower or battling ropes.

• 2 months later...

How's your training coming along, Chad?

Going to compete in July?

I'm still figuring it all out, taking it week by week to see how I progress. I had some good lifts over the weekend that got me excited.

If I'm ready by July I'll give it a shot, but I might wait until the San Antonio show in September. We'll see.

Anyway, totally loving The Riata!

Thanks for hooking me up!

-Robert

Hey Robert!

Training is going great! I'm increasing weight in squat, dead, weighted dips and chins every week. I'm trying to add size while maintaining my BF% at 6-7. I'm shooting for an additional 5-7 lbs by competition time in July. How is your wrist?

I met with my agency today and I'm getting my head and body shots taken next month. When I get them, I'll send them to you along with my bio for the site.

Glad to hear that the Riata is working out well for you!

Lindsay Nixon told me she was coming back to Austin in a couple weeks. Do you know when Rip's next potluck is?

Chad

Awesome. Sounds great, man.

Keep after it.

I'm doing alright. Wrist still bothers me during certain exercises and in some general movements (opening trunk of car, etc.) but it is starting to get better. I even pulled a 313-lb deadlift over the weekend and the wrist didn't bother me at all. But then during bent-over rows, it did. Same with pull-ups. Just fine with a pronated or neutral grip but as soon as I supinate my wrist, I can't even grip the bar. Same with bicep curls. Only neutral trip for me.

Riata rocks!

At airport now on my way to NYC. Back in 6 days.

Rip's potlucks are usually posted on the Engine 2 pages on Facebook and Twitter. I'm sure they're online somewhere else too. I think they are the last Thursday of each month, but I'm not totally sure. I'll look into it.

Have a great one!

• 11 months later...