Why no muscle, yet?

I work out and do cardio. Every other day. My workouts last 1 hour each. I look at other guys and you can see defined muscles. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

The first photo (month 1) I was 120 lbs and the last photo I was 160lbs (month 3).

Edited by Veguy9721

Is that sock down your pants?

"Lift heavier, eat more" would be my general advice. I am guessing you're quite young so you probably don't have high testosterone levels needed to build substantial muscle yet. Give it time, keep at it. If you really want detailed help then start a log and people will see exactly where you are going wrong.

How long have you been at this? What is your diet like? What are your workouts like? We need more info.

Just eat a metric shit-load of protein every day, focus on squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press and you WILL gain muscle. If not, then there is something wrong with you. It sounds like simple advice, but working it into day-to-day life is tough, I recommend you start a log.

Bodypart Exercise Number sets Number reps Tempo

chest pushups 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

chest dumbbell flys 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

chest dumbbell press 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

lats pullups 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

lats dumbbell rows 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

abs crunches 3 8-15 1s up 1s dn

biceps sofa curls 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

triceps dumbbell french press 3 8-15 2s up 2s dn

I eat a lot of carbs, fish, veggies, and fruit; and soy milk.

I can only eat 3 times a day. I work out 1 hour every other day. So far I've been working out for 3 months.

What are your meals specifically, how much are you eating? You need to eat a lot

Regarding weight-lifting, are you saying you're doing 8-15 reps per set? I would say that 15 is too high for what you're aiming for. I wouldn't even really go past 10. I'd say if you can do much more than 10, you need to put up the weight, make sure that you are struggling so that you're working hard. Once you get up past 10, put up the weight, even if it means you are only able to do 5 or 6 reps with the next weight, do that and get stronger with that weight that you struggle with, then increase from there once that is easy for you

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'd love to help you out, but I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying you went from 160 down to 120? I couldn't see your photos either. BAsed on what little info you've given, all I can say is building muscle takes a long time. And when I say a long time, I mean 5 to 10 lb a year is good progress. I'm talking real muscle, not just weight. If you're just talking about being "cut," that's really just a matter of being lean. It's kind of a different animal all together. Anyways, come back and give us some clarification. I'm sure you can get lots of good advice.