Full moon tonight. Any werefolk in here?

Baby Hercules

You might want to refer to the thread on hairiness for clues. What moon were you born under? I'm a Long Nights Moon.

Full Moon Names and Their Meanings

Full Moon names date back to Native Americans, of what is now the northern and eastern United States. The tribes kept track of the seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full Moon. Their names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred. There was some variation in the Moon names, but in general, the same ones were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. European settlers followed that custom and created some of their own names. Since the lunar month is only 29 days long on the average, the full Moon dates shift from year to year. Here is the Farmers Almanac’s list of the full Moon names.

Full Wolf Moon – January Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January’s full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule. Some called it the Full Snow Moon, but most tribes applied that name to the next Moon.

Full Snow Moon – February Since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February’s full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult.

Full Worm Moon – March As the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of crows signaled the end of winter; or the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full Moon of winter.

Full Pink Moon – April This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month’s celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.

Full Flower Moon – May In most areas, flowers are abundant everywhere during this time. Thus, the name of this Moon. Other names include the Full Corn Planting Moon, or the Milk Moon.

Full Strawberry Moon – June This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe. However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon. Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!

The Full Buck Moon – July is normally the month when the new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, for the reason that thunderstorms are most frequent during this time. Another name for this month’s Moon was the Full Hay Moon.

Full Sturgeon Moon – August The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of this Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during this month. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the Moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze. It was also called the Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon.

Full Corn Moon or Full Harvest Moon – September This full moon’s name is attributed to Native Americans because it marked when corn was supposed to be harvested. Most often, the September full moon is actually the Harvest Moon, which is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.

Full Hunter’s Moon or Full Harvest Moon – October This full Moon is often referred to as the Full Hunter’s Moon, Blood Moon, or Sanguine Moon. Many moons ago, Native Americans named this bright moon for obvious reasons. The leaves are falling from trees, the deer are fattened, and it’s time to begin storing up meat for the long winter ahead. Because the fields were traditionally reaped in late September or early October, hunters could easily see fox and other animals that come out to glean from the fallen grains. Probably because of the threat of winter looming close, the Hunter’s Moon is generally accorded with special honor, historically serving as an important feast day in both Western Europe and among many Native American tribes.

Full Beaver Moon – November This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Full Beaver Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. It is sometimes also referred to as the Frosty Moon.

The Full Cold Moon; or the Full Long Nights Moon – December During this month the winter cold fastens its grip, and nights are at their longest and darkest. It is also sometimes called the Moon before Yule. The term Long Night Moon is a doubly appropriate name because the midwinter night is indeed long, and because the Moon is above the horizon for a long time. The midwinter full Moon has a high trajectory across the sky because it is opposite a low Sun.

Edited by Baby Hercules

Love it!

I am thinking of a full moon hike tomorrow nite..it's "iffy" - the downhills are hard on my hernia, (sunavabitch), but more moon trivia of sorts...cause we all like need to be a bit more Luna!

In the movie, "An American Werewolf in London", every song in the movie had the word "moon" somewhere in its title..and, it is a "wonderful night for a moon dance, with the stars up above in my eyes...."

He can stay in his own forrest...he is a mean jerk.

Everyone on this forum is wonderful in their own way. Consider Tarzan, who has a very unique perspective on veganism.

He wasn't born into it like many in here and I'm betting he wasn't surrounded by the lifestyle and people who could teach him and support him as he went along. Instead, he's up to his elbows every day with pretty much the antithesis of the vegan credo and yet he still decided to stand up, make a decision that he knew would garner very little support from his friends and colleagues--and probably a lot of flak, besides--and take the plunge. He didn't have to tell us all what he does for a living, he could have kept his mouth shut and pretended to be something people in here would approve of. Talk about leaping from the frying pan into the fire: no support from colleagues, no support (I'm guessing) from friends and family, and tons of judgement from the community he's walking into and hoping to learn from. (He doesn't even have the usual "because my doctor's making me do it" to explain himself. He's just going vegan for awhile because he wanted to.) If I'm way off, Tarzan, let me know.

I haven't met anyone yet on this forum who's up against those kind of social odds. Is it any wonder he's got his guard up? I don't have to agree with a person 100% to learn a hell of a lot about personal fortitude from them. I'm in a similar situation in my own life right now where I need to have strength and confidence. Tarzan showed up right on time to teach me something and I'm keeping my eyes open for the others.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I have a problem with peeps calling people misinformed and retarded,...sorry...as well as when someone apologizes to bite back.....that's mean, have been around enough mean people that it's notOK. I am all about free speech...but retarded? Uneducated. I have yet to be on a forum, public or otherwise where that is really tolerated. If it is here, then my bad, and maybe I need to go somewhere else,..... I try to be nice to everyone and have the benefit of the doubt...Love and light...but retarded and misinformed just is mean. I understand we all swing on our own vine, and all are adults here ....but...calling thins as they are. Retarded is a negative label, and I have never readsomanydiffereing and concise opinions and values and respected as much as I have here and a few other places...and neither of those terms applies to anyone here on this forum. And retarded is a word that has to go. I just had thisconversation with two other people...someone ousted to work with and respect highly...and my 16 year old, Otis a wordno longer accepted as OK. I can handle differing opinions, but not at the expense of something that borders ona word that can be considered an abusive term. Just me...and maybe my unemployment gives me to much time?....

Still a werewolf'y outdoor girl...hike is most likely cancelled due to rain tonight.

I've been doing my best to focus on the stuff I like about people and ignore the rest. As a result, I usually get their best. It works on myself, too. That's been my experience, anyway.

Still a werewolf'y outdoor girl...hike is most likely cancelled due to rain tonight.

We got clouds here in Portland but you never know. I'm definitely gonna dash out and stare skywards, jaw agape, to see if I can spot a glow. Officially full tonight. Ah-WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Baby Herc

Baby Herc, I love your blog. I am really glad that I have made an impact on your life in some way.

Divamom, I admire you. I don't know what I said to you that has made you call me a jerk so much. I have never felt the need to develop a knitting-circle demeanor and I have no intention of toning down my responses to others just in case you read it and feel bad inside.

If someone calls me an idiot and tell me rainbows are square, I am going to call them an idiot and tell them otherwise. I am who I am, I am not going to hide in the shadows so people can pretend people like me do not exist. I have strong beliefs which I have worked fucking HARD to establish. I came here expecting resistance and yes I have had my guard up, I am a naturally 'passionate' person. So far people have offered me nothing but foul-mouthed and pathetic retorts, studies based on delirious imaginings. If you think I am wrong, GREAT, we can talk about that! All you have to do is be civil with me. As mean and obnoxious as I can be, if you start on the right foot we can have excellent conversations, as I have already shown numerous times.

In response to me using the word "retarded", so what? I have followed this forum for a while and have seen such phrases used a lot, degrading pictures too. I think you just want another reason to dislike me. For the record, Divamom, I do like you. Please do not ruin that.

Omg...do you shop ever at the vegan, gluten free bakery next to the Teaplace that has the Dr. brew's on Alberta street , I think. Kill vegan restaurants line the street... I wanna go back just to eatcrap food and drink Dr.Brews Cherry Rose Kombucha's.

Omg...do you shop ever at the vegan, gluten free bakery next to the Teaplace that has the Dr. brew's on Alberta street , I think. Kill vegan restaurants line the street... I wanna go back just to eatcrap food and drink Dr.Brews Cherry Rose Kombucha's.

Naw, I live on the west side. And I live just two miles from New Seasons. And I grow my own food. And I'm a fantastic cook/baker. Consequently, I'm rarely seen inside a restaurant. I can make vegan cupcakes that would knock your socks off. And you wouldn't be able to find your socks for weeks because the sugar rush would last that long. They're so moist, the paper cupcake liner just falls away from the cake and you have to eat them fast because they are delicate enough to tumble to pieces in your hand. The first ones I ever made were Chocolate Cappuccino Cupcakes with a pudding-like Chocolate Ganache filling laced heavily with Jameson Irish Whiskey in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Three buddies of mine went on a hike with me that day and we were all high on several levels before we ever set foot on the trail. Alex and I laugh about it in the first five minutes of this podcast: http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/category/hiking-podcasts/

The Almond Joy Mini-Cupcake: http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9303/vbcoconutvegancupcake.jpg

Chocolate Chai Cupcake: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7382/vbchocolatechaicupcakes.jpg

Rosewater Pistachio Mini-Cupcake: http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7922/vbrosewaterpistachiocup.jpg

Rum Raisin Mini-Cupcake: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2762/vbrumraisincupcakes.jpg

Baby Herc

New seasons is a great store. Hard to do business with as a vendor...unusually high and unrealistic demands for national vendors...love that they favor the local peeps. Great produce. Have been in like all of them except one. I shopped there at times when working...I like Market of Choice off of Terwilliger-- Mexican restaurant next door owned by a nice Jewish guy from NYC ..he serves a mean vegan artichoke tamale! Love Fred Meyer, too...we don't have those. Ooh...and I love the WfM on Couch. Last time I worked there I stayed closer to Tigard...worked out in the lance Armstrong 24---way cool. Love when I worked in Portland...hope to again,soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Say, the Flower Moon this Saturday is going to be a doozy: closest full moon of the year, a rare lunar perigee called a "supermoon." That means it'll look bigger in the sky and have more pull on the tides than usual. All werefolk are hereby notified. Practice your howls.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/is-biggest-and-closest-full-moon-on-may-5-2012-a-supermoon

Baby Herc

I just walked outside and saw it--Wow! Very clear, very bright, with the tiniest of bluish casts to it, like when you set your digital camera towards blue rather than yellow tones. Thought about the people I love and the people I haven't met yet who might be looking up at this very same moon. Said Hi.

Baby Herc