A couple interesting articles

asparagus

Urgh just go vegan, why do people want to make it so complicated.

"We're running out of space, raising animals for food is ineffective, we need an alternative."

"How about we eat something else?"

"What? Don't be ridiculous."

But I guess this notion is better than nothing, even if it's still remarkably unhealthy

Because meat and dairy are delicious.

After 13 years of Veganism, I couldn't disagree more. Dairy, eggs, & meat smell overwhelmingly disgusting, like the dirtiest barn. Don't even get me started on sea animal. Every time I smell eggs frying in butter or ham esp, my stomach starts turning inside out.

& I haven't always reacted this way. I grew up on animal products & had my favorites that now repulse me. Taste buds & preferences change, especially when you start really taking care of your body - it really starts to work with you & crave sane choices for its nutrients.

Because meat and dairy are delicious.

After 13 years of Veganism, I couldn't disagree more. Dairy, eggs, & meat smell overwhelmingly disgusting, like the dirtiest barn. Don't even get me started on sea animal. Every time I smell eggs frying in butter or ham esp, my stomach starts turning inside out.

Oh, my reactions have definitely changed too. Most of it is still fine, but every so often I'll get a smell that I used to love but now seems ... off. However, that doesn't change that when I was eating them, meat and dairy were delicious. I can totally understand people wanting to find an ethical way to keep eating them.

Of course, as Richard said, that doesn't mean it's worth it when they can simply go vegan.

Ah, yes, my bad. You are right about that.

Certainly test tube meat is less cruel than what's going on now, I can't ignore that. However it still contributes to the idea that animals are ours to use as we please. Making it ok to eat test tube meat keeps the idea around that animals are still a backup.

Just to burst some bubbles, in case test tube meat looked like a step in the right direction, I can't believe all meat eaters will jump on the bandwagon either. I can just hear it now, the whole "health" aspect of real meat vs. franken meat, how nature makes it best, how feeding an animal certain foods enriches the meat you eat... like pot heads trying to spike their marijuana plants to increase the potency of their buzz.

And when we allow any kind of animal exploitation, even if "nicer", it opens the door to cruelty as people try to make it cheaper for more. At this time, I have no idea what that will look like.

Trying to beat nature is a very bad, bad idea. I have been preaching this on the rooftops and I will until the day I die.

People are such BABIES about diet. I mean, pardon the pun, but this world is full of MILK BABIES that haven't been weened. God forbid you should mention anything related to a less than delicious meal to the wrong person, at the wrong time these days.

People are going to have to GROW UP sooner or later it may as well be now.

Edit: and I wasn't implying healthy eating is less than delicious. Its just that is how people associate things these days. Then they wonder why they are fat and diseased.

Trying to beat nature is a very bad, bad idea. [...]

God forbid you should mention anything related to a less than delicious meal to the wrong person, at the wrong time these days.

Ugh 100% lol.

I see this ALL THE TIME at the health food store with supplements!

Customer: "what does it taste like, I mean, does it taste good?", supplement clerk: "well, no not really, but it has been known to help your condition tremendously", Customer: *scrunches up their face, & puts the bottle back* "you have anything else that might help?".... WOWUH!

Real food is so full of flavour one can't seem to grasp when they're used to junk. It's a darn shame.

Real food is so full of flavour one can't seem to grasp when they're used to junk. It's a darn shame.

Exactly!

People think eating vegan is so "bland" and won't "fill you up", but it actually becomes the opposite when you know what you're doing. I hear all the time "steak is so tasty". Right! So why is it you have to salt, pepper, and spice it, then cover it in sauce and dip it in ketchup? hmmmm

The longer and longer someone goes without such things the more clear it becomes what exactly they were doing and why. I love the fact that when I drink a serving of fresh orange juice I actually get a "high" off of it! Not a "bad" high like a sugar rush or anything like that, but one like if you drank a huge glass of V8 juice (which I used to drink but don't anymore). I can't even describe the feeling.

That's not even mentioning the TASTE of it that once you get away from all the made up JUNK, becomes extravagant! A double plus! If people only knew my daily experiences outside of their nutritionally absent soft drinks and "juice drinks". And that's just a beverage! What really lets me know I have it so good is the food. All the recipes out there! wow!

I'm making some (vegan) Cajun style red beans and rice today and it will be better than anything else they could possibly make on Mardi Gras!

Too bad they can't clone common sense. How about we use the resources to work on cloning organs for people on multi year waiting lists.

Can't we just let livestock go extinct and grow more vegetable crops? They've earned the right to punch out.

Yes! Now that is a great idea for growing body parts lol. & yes! The more people go Vegan, the closer to reality this becomes! =D

I love the fact that when I drink a serving of fresh orange juice I actually get a "high" off of it!

I get that every time I eat healthy raw foods haha! I get this tingle in my head, I feel so mellow nice, I'm in the best of moods & life couldn't be better haha. Its nice to know I'm not the only one to get something like this. =)

I love the fact that when I drink a serving of fresh orange juice I actually get a "high" off of it!

I get that every time I eat healthy raw foods haha! I get this tingle in my head, I feel so mellow nice, I'm in the best of moods & life couldn't be better haha. Its nice to know I'm not the only one to get something like this. =)

From my own experience going down the path of cutting out more and more animal products over the past 6 years until going Vegan a little less than a year ago - I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

- I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

Well, doctors tend to have a very different idea of healthy than health-freaks like myself do. As far as I understand, so long as you're disease free & your blood work is in order, you're good to go for a doctor. It isn't so black and white to me. And Veganism, although basically much healthier in concept, it can be done in a most unhealthy way. Soda, salty potato chips and a can of beans can be Vegan, but in the negative on the nutrition scale.

I'm not saying you're unhealthy, but from my experience, there is always room for improvement. Then, there are always some people who just aren't very sensitive or in-tuned with what's going on in their bodies. Perhaps you fall somewhere in there, or elsewhere? =)

I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

Genetics will ALWAYS trump enviousness and lifestyle.

The human body is incredibly resilient in some cases of genetic predisposition, and sometimes not.

For instance depending on how long your parents live and grandparents live, you could live to 95 even if you smoke, drink, and eat garbage. You are increasing your odds of cancer and diabetes, for sure, compared to someone who doesn't, but that same person may live the healthiest lifestyle and still not have the genetic stamina, and will go ahead and get cancer by some fluke.

Genetics dominate all and though a good diet and lifestyle will increase chances, it is no guarantee.

Agreed. Even doctors have been kinda taken back at how sensitive I am to what I put in my body. Drugs effect me in a major way compared to others, and something that may not positively effect others would do wonders for me, or the total opposite.

I was a sickly child (me and a sister inherited this from our mother's side), was on soy milk as an infant (ONLY thing I could drink), I had a lot of surgeries, missed a lot of school for various things, etc. I was having A LOT of issues 3 months ago. ALL GONE.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt diet is extremely important to my physical AND mental health. It took a long time to learn that, but it was a road well worth traveling. My sister went through a bout of anorexia once and not only lost a lot of B12 which put her in the hospital, she came down with numerous other things. When they had to put her on a respirator we figured she was pretty much not going to make it through. But she did and changed her way of life, for a while.

She then went on to not caring about what she ate, or what drugs she took. She gained a lot of weight and got a whole host of other illnesses, which she is battling to this day. Sad to say her mind and nervous system have never fully recovered, but she has been slowly learning the value of diet in her life, and my recent change in diet (and weight, doctor's blessings, etc) has been making her think even more.

Sorry I rambled on. Just making the point that yea everyone really is different, and had my sister or I been someone else, they may have never been as effected as we were.

Thank God for INTELLIGENCE! That is ONE thing I DO have!

I'm not saying you're unhealthy, but from my experience, there is always room for improvement. Then, there are always some people who just aren't very sensitive or in-tuned with what's going on in their bodies. Perhaps you fall somewhere in there, or elsewhere? =)

I actually do consider myself pretty healthy, and for the most part I always have, regardless of doctor's opinions. I eat well, mostly whole foods with a bit of junk thrown in. I could possibly just not notice the difference, or perhaps as Cellar Yeti postulated I'm genetically predisposed to it.

Genetics will ALWAYS trump enviousness and lifestyle.

The human body is incredibly resilient in some cases of genetic predisposition, and sometimes not.

[...]

Genetics dominate all and though a good diet and lifestyle will increase chances, it is no guarantee.

I agree on genetics playing a big role in health and fitness. My family tend to be rather long lived and mostly healthy, so I'm hoping I've received that gene. Although none of my family are Vegan, let alone even vegetarian, so I don't have much of a basis of comparison with my current dietary constraints.

I watched a cool documentary on aging and longevity and they found out if it's mostly the case with your grandparents and and parents that they live long and healthy, you're pretty much guaranteed those genes because in the case of natural selection, those genetics would be idea for procreation.

Now with my family my grandfather and grandmother on my moms side are already dead from heart disease/diabetes at about 78 or my grandpa, and 83 or my grandma.

My dad and mom are 52 and 64, respectively. My dad is fighting heart problems and my mom is healthy albeit overweight. My mom turned the table and her body is recovering, I got her onto a vegetarian diet and she exercises daily now so I suspect she's started to reverse the affects of a bigone era where diet and exercise are concerned. My dad is still living the typical American diet and lifestyle and the damage is irreparable and he's headed to an early demise.

I suspect they did a lot of freaking damage to their bodies because my great grandma and grandpa both lived to over 90.

We live and we die, I'll take whatever I can get, but I suspect if I play my cards right I can push 90.

I watched a cool documentary on aging and longevity and they found out if it's mostly the case with your grandparents and and parents that they live long and healthy, you're pretty much guaranteed those genes because in the case of natural selection, those genetics would be idea for procreation.

Not exactly. Evolution selects for reproductive fitness, not longevity. Living past the age of healthy reproduction (and possibly child-rearing) is useless as far as natural selection is concerned.

Not exactly. Evolution selects for reproductive fitness, not longevity. Living past the age of healthy reproduction (and possibly child-rearing) is useless as far as natural selection is concerned.

Yes but natural selection and evolution is a process that takes generations, sometimes and often without obvious cause or reason, think about it, what is the purpose of living to 113 when you cannot reproduce.

With each consecutive generation there could be genetic mutations that allow one to procreate later and later in life, I.E let's say an average female can only have healthy children up to 40, in a few generations 45 might be the new 40. Given, living to 113 is superfluous because you cannot reproduce that late in life, there might be a genetic abnormality that allows one to reproduce maybe just a couple years later than someone without that genetic mutation, eventually, and in order or it to carry out it's task the maximum lifespan needs to be pushed further and further to allow or more healthy years of adulthood.

They found more century females than males, the speculation is that carrying children and giving birth to them is far more damaging to the body than actually planting the seed to make a child, thus evolution would serve more of a purpose in females than males.

It's interesting because they have pinpointed a section of our DNA sequence responsible or aging and death, the grim reaper genetic sequence.