Greetings. Don't have much to say yet. Just trying to do this and be consistent. Following chewybaws format for logs. Much thanks to him and others for sharing their progress. It really helped me decide how to begin.
In general, I'll be doing Stronglifts Beginner program with a few assistance exercises for posture and doing side splits. Capoeira training will pretty much be my cardio. Will be adding some plyometrics and sprinting a bit later.
So many goals, keep it simple for now:
- Get strong overall to support other activities (capoeira and other stuff)
- Have a good core and improve my posture (I sit at a desk 8+hrs/day, hard not to hunch)
- Replace the belly with something useful, like a nice set of abs
- Weight: 185lb (felt great at this weight. haven't seen it since 08)
- Bench: sooner: 1x20x185lb later: 1x15x225lb (can I get to 225 in 18mos?)
- I'd like to see a 34' waist again
- I want to do full front and side leg splits this year
- Drinking only water. No juices, other than fruit in smoothies. Two glasses of water before every meal
- 6 meals/day; Typically: Smoothie for breakfast, mid-morning snack (usually trailmix), big salad for lunch, preworkout snack, big dinner, evening snack. Haven't gotten to counting cals yet.
- Only one plate at dinner. This was a big cause of my issues. Wifey's cooking is too good sometimes.
I've already dropped about 5 pounds just cutting out the juice, doing some cardio, and freestyling in the weight room. I should make better progress now with a plan.
Monday February 20, 2012
Waist:44' Chest:43' Arms:14'
Few minutes Warm-up on the elliptical
Barbell Row 5x5@65lb
Never really done barbell exercises with any seriousness, so I'm just trying to focus on technique.
Squat - Have some issues with my left knee where it feels weird until it's properly warmed up. Also, I think one leg is longer than the other, so my left leg is just all kinds of weak. I'm investigating this, since I've had issues since I was a kid. I noticed when squatting, I wasn't feeling it as much on my left leg, but I know I'm standing square. Out of curiosity, on one set I put a 2.5 plate under my left foot, and it actually felt even. Won't make a habit of doing that, but it was interesting.
Bench - This is the intimidating one for me. I know I'll eventually be good at the others, but I've never had much upper body strength, so this will be a real challenge. I'm doing this on an adjustable bench on a power rack, so it's unclear when I lay on the bench, and I look up, where should I see the bar? eye level? neck? chest? But once I get going I think I do an ok job at keeping the bar stable.
Barbell Row - I think I'm doing this right. Gonna take some practice tho. Gonna figure out how to take some video at some point.
Last edited by Valente on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.