Bulking phase

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god this is a deload week. After a night out saturday then working last night I was dragging deck big time. Glad I just "sacked up" to get into the gym.

If this was a usual week I'd of definitely of slept first.

Loads of stretching today, Nice easy deload week.....hit required numbers only

Mon-2th-Feb Cycle 2 week 4 3x5

Military press: 20kg 25kg 27.5kg

Assistance:

Close grip bench (programmed assistance 3x5) 32.5kg 40kg 47.5kg

Chins with various grips 3x10

Cable row, tricep push downs & cable curls, All really light.

Thank god this is a deload week. After a night out saturday then working last night I was dragging deck big time. Glad I just "sacked up" to get into the gym.

Working out when you're hung over is always a battle - either to defeat the hang-over or to hit your numbers. Either way, it's a pain in the ass.

Is it me or is it a requirement to be a tool bag to train with crossfit?

It's not just you. It's definitely them. And them being tool bags.

Up early on a day off as I have a delivery coming (re stock of my supps)

Easy session again, making up for yesterday as was my other half's birthday. Diet wasn't great either but doesn't hurt now & then.

Wed-28th-feb cycle 2 week 4 Deload (3x5)

Dead lift: 47.5kg 60kg 70kg

Assistance:

Front squats (programmed assistance 3x5) 30kg 37.5kg 45kg

2x10 reverse hypers 2x10 GHR

ab circuit, hanging leg raises, leg raises, side bends, cable crunch...easy deload

Edited by veggiesasquatch

If I were to name tonights workout i'd of gone with "I'm not here to bro'down"

Thurs-1st-march cycle 2 weeks 4 deload (3x5)

The work on my main lift & programmed assistance were so light. I basically completed all my lifts in 20 mins including assistance. By the time I'd loaded the next weight on bench & incline I had gotten back under the bar.

Assistance followed much the same (all deloaded) , grabbed  a db for rows & just cracked on when I grabbed the next weight. Light lat pull downs & dips with hammer curls. All very light in 3x10 then a quick blast on treadmill

Bench: 37.5kg 47.5kg 55kg

Assistance:

Incline bench (programmed assistance 3x5) 35kg 42.5kg 50kg

Dumbbell rows, lat pulls, dips & hammer curls.

The deload week is doing it job, I'm buzzing for the next cycle...

Listened to so ol'school Immolation during this session...

Hi veggiesasquatch, like your journal by the way,

Just wanted to pop by and thank you for your advice. A bit of homework over the weekend for me but if i go through the planning now and get more experienced, learn how my body responds etc. then i think one day i shall get a bit more intuitive with my meal planning a bit like yourself.

Again like you i am not a big fan of regimented planning but i think i need to go through the process in order to start learning how my body responds to different foods and calorie/macro levels.

Anyway thanks again all advice is much appreciated, have a great weekend.

Doug

Last session this week means end of the delaod, Weekend off so plenty of rest, food & xbox in order.

Fri-2nd-March deload (3x5)

Squat: 47.5lg 60kg 72.5kg

Assistance:

Good mornings (programmed assistance 3x5) 30kg 37.5kg 45kg

GHR 3x10

Ab circuit: Side bends, Leg raises, Hanging leg raises, Cable crunch.

Feel good & ready for cycle 3.....

Mike Jenkins take the win, Poundstone second and Shaw tore his biceps. He actually suffered a partial tear on the first event which was Apollons Wheel; he continued to compete even with the tear and it looks like it completely went on the last part of the Timber Carry (which was the last event). We'll see what's up in upcoming days I am sure.

http://www.arnoldstrongmanclassic.com/index.html

Site has results, videos and pics!

Mon-5th-March Cycle 3 Week 1 (3x5)

Pretty lazy weekend with a couple of 8ish hours sleep & good amount of food in take.

Went into today's session with the plan of required reps only on military pressing. Just for the simple fact of showing restraint, I usually always go past required reps on last set (never to failure) so need to do this more.

Warm up involved treadmill sprints, Hindu push ups, regular push ups. Lower weight press & stretching.

Military press: 32.5kg 37.5kg 42.5kg

Assistance:

Close grip bench (programmed assistance 3x10) 42.5kg 50kg 57.5kg

Tricep push downs, Bicep db curls (shock I did some curls), Cable seated rows, chin ups

Chin ups seemed to obliterate me after the two big lifts. Got 2x10 on wide grip then went down hill from there using even hammer grips

Post workout shake...x2 scoops protein, 50g maize starch, glutamine & bcaa's

Curls?! In this thread? Colour me shocked.

I imagine that when the day comes that I can actually do chins/pulls, I'm probably going to want to do them all the time.

When I started at the gym last feb I must of weighed roughly 138lb, I couldn't do a single chin even with a narrow underhand grips.

I didn't start to really train them until maybe 6 months ago. I just did singles, then doubles & so on. 

What helped build them up was going with hammer grips, I find these work really well for me & I can generate a lot of power through them.

Wide grips are obviously the hardest ones & my left shoulder joint was hurt in a car accident, I also look like batman trying to turn his head when I look left, really stiff neck. So I try not going past shoulder width when I go wide but today I hit 2x10 wide then maybe a 9, I switched to hammers then but my shoulders had enough.

I usually do say 5 wide grips, hang there & change to a diff grip & so on.

Crazy to think I now weigh 185lb & I can do more. With the hammer I started to also add in a 10lb plate...

Keep at them, they'll soon come on

Crazy to think I now weigh 185lb & I can do more. With the hammer I started to also add in a 10lb plate...

I'm continuously impressed with your progress in such a short-time. It's pretty amazing, mate.

I feel you - when I started StrongLifts in September, I couldn't, for the life of me, do one "regular" push-up which was embarrassing. Now I can bang out small sets in between benching.

Before I log my workout I want to say how annoyed with myself I'am. Relaxing the weekend has now given me a pain in my lower back to the right.

All the work I did to help my sciatica (on the left side) has been great but now this is a kick in the teeth.

Not squatting or dead lifting for a fair few weeks followed by a basic plan to bring strength back up to getting onto 5/3/1 has been tough but all worth while. Now because of a laps in posture I have pain.

Basically sat on the sofa against the one end with my legs/feet tucked up to the side. I'm so annoyed......

Get through this week then a week off. Luckily the pains doesn't seem all that bad but still......

Update: A decent sleep today seems to of helped.

Tues-6th-March cycle 3 week 1 (3x5)

Worked last night, pretty beat in all honesty. Had 50g instant oats, 1 scoop protein, peanut butter & a banana to see my through this session. 

Not the greatest pre workout nutrition but I haven't got time to eat, sit around to let it digest & then train with work again tonight.

This was a great time to take Wendler's advice & to pick your battles. Required reps today only.

Warm up was good, foam rolls along with body weight squats & mobility work. Actually ended up doing a lot of mobility without realising.

Dead lift: 80kg 92.5kg 105kg

Assistance:

Front squats (programmed assistance 3x10) 37.5kg 45kg 55kg

GHR 3x10 reverse hypers 3x10

Ab circuit: side bends, cable crunch, hanging legs & v-ups

I'm continuously impressed with your progress in such a short-time. It's pretty amazing, mate.

I feel you - when I started StrongLifts in September, I couldn't, for the life of me, do one "regular" push-up which was embarrassing. Now I can bang out small sets in between benching.

Thanks for the kind words:)

Wednesday 7th march.....

Stumbling through my front door roughly a round 7:08 I remind myself to be quite. The wife's in bed & i'd rather dodge an ear bashing for being noisy, on thinking this my back pack instantly gets hooked on the door knocker & it gives a little tap. Mentally I call the door a "wanker" like it did it on purpose.

I kick off my work boots, stumble into the lounge & I finish off a little food I had left over. This got me musing over how people obsess over eating carbs before bed. 

I think of all the big bad animals in the world & how, after they feast on their respective kills they nap...so

I come to the conclusion that some salad, a home made bread roll & fillings pale in comparison . Quick shower then to bed by 7:35.

Rolling over & hitting the home screen button on my iPhone it shows its 14:22. Not an awful lot of sleep but also by no means the worst I've had. The key being it was unbroken sleep, usually I wake up busting for a pee. Cutting off liquid in take a couple of hours before bed paying off.

After a wash I call out to my other half....nothing. I look round our home, scratch my head then I remember she'll be  working at the YMCA where she mentors 1 day a week. 

I think how proud I'am of this but I still worry....

In the kitchen I get cracking on prepping food. An hour later I'm done & it all looks rather daunting when I check off meals in my head.

I make half a cup of oats, 1 cup water, 1 scoop protein & 2 tbls of peanut butter & nuke it for a minute thirty seconds. This along with with a bagel & 2 eggs is technically breakfast at 15:00 while I'm also making up fried rice with mock chicken, mushrooms, peppers & salad onions.

My better half returns & we enjoy a cup of tea together before I set off for work, another 12hr stint awaiting me. Today I take the bus. I call it's passengers "the great unwashed" to myself... Harsh perhaps but accurate none the less.

Work was work 19:00-07:00, I ate when I could; wrote this blog & watched immortals on my iPhone before power napping to the sweet sounds of cattle decapitation (an all vegan band) & fukpig over my shifts duration.

I check, read & look mover my 5/3/1 a few dozen times, in PDF form so I can read it in IBooks. Looking at possible/future lifts & again urge myself to keep on track.

The biggest thing since using Wendler's method I have learnt is to make every rep count. We all know this to be true but even more so these days. Warm up sets aren't  taken lightly & form reins supreme, fuck what's loaded onto the bar. 

I think of all the partial rep guys, the "hand me the dumbbell" guys, seriously if you can't even get the

Dumbbells up to press them at what point does having them being given to you seem a good idea?....they Make me smile. Also I think of the douches using the Ghr frame for sit ups, they can fuck off as well...idiots, enjoy your bad back.

06:45 I'm changing into my gym gear & it's close to knocking off time. I have an double espresso (which must taste like the piss of Satan himself) & a banana as a little "pick me up".

07:18 I enter the gym, Time to be awesome.....

Thurs-8th-March Cycle 3 week 1 (3x5)

No interest in going anywhere near a type of conditioning machine....

Warm up with lighter sets, push ups & some stretching.

Bench press: 62.5kg 72.5kg 80kg

Assistance:

Incline bench press (programmed assistance 3x10) 42.5kg 50kg 60kg

Krock rows: today instead of two I did 1 warm up sets, then my ball out set. 30 solid, smooth reps per arm....really pleasing. 

Cable curls & body weight dips all in 3x10

Chin ups: did little sets of 5 between benching with wide grips & a couple of hammer grip sets. Also a quick & light 2x10 set of lat pulls as I had no more chins left in me.

Posting about chins recently with vegansludge has given 

Me a push to focus on wider chins....

Decent workout coming off nights, Can't complain.

This ranting was inspired by vegansludge:)