Bryan's Winter Workout Log

I almost forgot! On Saturday, I went out on a nice ride because the weather was supposed to be really mild, upwards of 50 degrees. I went out at 9:30am and it was about 37-39, but the sun was shining bright and I was hoping the trails at the nearby forest preserve would be cleared/almost melted. Boy was I wrong. I made my way over to the preserve (about 3 miles) only to find the pedestrian entrance was still covered in snow and ice. Determined to find the "cleared" bike route, I carried my bike about a mile into the park (image here!)

However, there was no melted trail pot-of-gold at the end of this trek. Just more snow and ice. So, I made my way back home through the local neighborhoods. All in all, it was a good 8 mile ride. Can't wait for spring.

Thursday: 2 mi. tempo run (8:40 pace, might be a little too fast but it was comfortable).

Friday: rest day

Today: 4 mi. run & 1/2 hr. swim. I'm getting m'lady ready for a sprint triathlon we're doing in june. I couldn't be more excited.

We also went to Runners Hi n' Tri (an amazing running/tri shop nearby) and went a little crazy. I picked up some new shoes and some Nike Dri-Fit winter pants. They were awesome on the run today and I can't believe I haven't owned a pair until today.

Tomorrow is looking like either some yoga or another swim workout.

Today I took a page out of John Hirsch's swimming workout database and did this nice workout:

I started with a quick 3 mi. ride on a stationary bike.

Swim workout 1.

1. warm-up: 200swim, 200 kick, 200 pull

2. 9×50 on :55 3x(slow, med, fast)

3. 6×75 15 seconds rest (50 drill, 25 build swim)

4. 300 swim :45 rest,200 swim :30 rest,100 swim :15

rest

5. 4×50 ez 10 seconds rest total: 2,300 yards

Felt really good.

I like that pic you took of the nature sanctuary. Keep flicking, earth loving people on the forum are diggin' pics like that. I'm Jealous I haven't seen much nature since December but I'm headed to the mountains this weekend, finally!

-Dylan