Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: A couple interesting articles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 pm 
Gorilla

Too bad they can't clone common sense. How about we use the resources to work on cloning organs for people on multi year waiting lists.

Can't we just let livestock go extinct and grow more vegetable crops? They've earned the right to punch out.

Post subject: Re: Re: Re: A couple interesting articles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm 
Manatee

Cellar Yeti wrote:
Too bad they can't clone common sense. How about we use the resources to work on cloning organs for people on multi year waiting lists.

Can't we just let livestock go extinct and grow more vegetable crops? They've earned the right to punch out.

Yes! Now that is a great idea for growing body parts lol. & yes! The more people go Vegan, the closer to reality this becomes! =D

HorseSense wrote:
I love the fact that when I drink a serving of fresh orange juice I actually get a "high" off of it!

I get that every time I eat healthy raw foods haha! I get this tingle in my head, I feel so mellow nice, I'm in the best of moods & life couldn't be better haha. Its nice to know I'm not the only one to get something like this. =)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
Gorilla

Mina wrote:
HorseSense wrote:
I love the fact that when I drink a serving of fresh orange juice I actually get a "high" off of it!

I get that every time I eat healthy raw foods haha! I get this tingle in my head, I feel so mellow nice, I'm in the best of moods & life couldn't be better haha. Its nice to know I'm not the only one to get something like this. =)

From my own experience going down the path of cutting out more and more animal products over the past 6 years until going Vegan a little less than a year ago - I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: A couple interesting articles
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm 
Manatee

asparagus wrote:
- I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

Well, doctors tend to have a very different idea of healthy than health-freaks like myself do. As far as I understand, so long as you're disease free & your blood work is in order, you're good to go for a doctor. It isn't so black and white to me. And Veganism, although basically much healthier in concept, it can be done in a most unhealthy way. Soda, salty potato chips and a can of beans can be Vegan, but in the negative on the nutrition scale.

I'm not saying you're unhealthy, but from my experience, there is always room for improvement. Then, there are always some people who just aren't very sensitive or in-tuned with what's going on in their bodies. Perhaps you fall somewhere in there, or elsewhere? =)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm 
Gorilla

asparagus wrote:
I never felt any change from my diet. I don't ever recall feeling any different from eating less/no animal products than from when I used to eat meat/dairy/etc. I don't feel any more energetic, happy, or otherwise different. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of what I've eaten I've always been healthy (every doctor I've had has always said so).

Genetics will ALWAYS trump enviousness and lifestyle.

The human body is incredibly resilient in some cases of genetic predisposition, and sometimes not.

For instance depending on how long your parents live and grandparents live, you could live to 95 even if you smoke, drink, and eat garbage. You are increasing your odds of cancer and diabetes, for sure, compared to someone who doesn't, but that same person may live the healthiest lifestyle and still not have the genetic stamina, and will go ahead and get cancer by some fluke.

Genetics dominate all and though a good diet and lifestyle will increase chances, it is no guarantee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm 
Manatee

Agreed. Even doctors have been kinda taken back at how sensitive I am to what I put in my body. Drugs effect me in a major way compared to others, and something that may not positively effect others would do wonders for me, or the total opposite.

I was a sickly child (me and a sister inherited this from our mother's side), was on soy milk as an infant (ONLY thing I could drink), I had a lot of surgeries, missed a lot of school for various things, etc. I was having A LOT of issues 3 months ago. ALL GONE.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt diet is extremely important to my physical AND mental health. It took a long time to learn that, but it was a road well worth traveling. My sister went through a bout of anorexia once and not only lost a lot of B12 which put her in the hospital, she came down with numerous other things. When they had to put her on a respirator we figured she was pretty much not going to make it through. But she did and changed her way of life, for a while.

She then went on to not caring about what she ate, or what drugs she took. She gained a lot of weight and got a whole host of other illnesses, which she is battling to this day. Sad to say her mind and nervous system have never fully recovered, but she has been slowly learning the value of diet in her life, and my recent change in diet (and weight, doctor's blessings, etc) has been making her think even more.

Sorry I rambled on. Just making the point that yea everyone really is different, and had my sister or I been someone else, they may have never been as effected as we were.

Thank God for INTELLIGENCE! That is ONE thing I DO have! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:40 pm 
Gorilla

Mina wrote:
I'm not saying you're unhealthy, but from my experience, there is always room for improvement. Then, there are always some people who just aren't very sensitive or in-tuned with what's going on in their bodies. Perhaps you fall somewhere in there, or elsewhere? =)

I actually do consider myself pretty healthy, and for the most part I always have, regardless of doctor's opinions. I eat well, mostly whole foods with a bit of junk thrown in. I could possibly just not notice the difference, or perhaps as Cellar Yeti postulated I'm genetically predisposed to it.

Cellar Yeti wrote:
Genetics will ALWAYS trump enviousness and lifestyle.

The human body is incredibly resilient in some cases of genetic predisposition, and sometimes not.
[...]
Genetics dominate all and though a good diet and lifestyle will increase chances, it is no guarantee.

I agree on genetics playing a big role in health and fitness. My family tend to be rather long lived and mostly healthy, so I'm hoping I've received that gene. Although none of my family are Vegan, let alone even vegetarian, so I don't have much of a basis of comparison with my current dietary constraints.

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:50 pm 
Gorilla

I watched a cool documentary on aging and longevity and they found out if it's mostly the case with your grandparents and and parents that they live long and healthy, you're pretty much guaranteed those genes because in the case of natural selection, those genetics would be idea for procreation.

Now with my family my grandfather and grandmother on my moms side are already dead from heart disease/diabetes at about 78 or my grandpa, and 83 or my grandma.

My dad and mom are 52 and 64, respectively. My dad is fighting heart problems and my mom is healthy albeit overweight. My mom turned the table and her body is recovering, I got her onto a vegetarian diet and she exercises daily now so I suspect she's started to reverse the affects of a bigone era where diet and exercise are concerned. My dad is still living the typical American diet and lifestyle and the damage is irreparable and he's headed to an early demise.

I suspect they did a lot of freaking damage to their bodies because my great grandma and grandpa both lived to over 90.

We live and we die, I'll take whatever I can get, but I suspect if I play my cards right I can push 90.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am 
Gorilla

Cellar Yeti wrote:
I watched a cool documentary on aging and longevity and they found out if it's mostly the case with your grandparents and and parents that they live long and healthy, you're pretty much guaranteed those genes because in the case of natural selection, those genetics would be idea for procreation.

Not exactly. Evolution selects for reproductive fitness, not longevity. Living past the age of healthy reproduction (and possibly child-rearing) is useless as far as natural selection is concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm 
Gorilla

blabbate wrote:
Cellar Yeti wrote:

Not exactly. Evolution selects for reproductive fitness, not longevity. Living past the age of healthy reproduction (and possibly child-rearing) is useless as far as natural selection is concerned.

Yes but natural selection and evolution is a process that takes generations, sometimes and often without obvious cause or reason, think about it, what is the purpose of living to 113 when you cannot reproduce.

With each consecutive generation there could be genetic mutations that allow one to procreate later and later in life, I.E let's say an average female can only have healthy children up to 40, in a few generations 45 might be the new 40. Given, living to 113 is superfluous because you cannot reproduce that late in life, there might be a genetic abnormality that allows one to reproduce maybe just a couple years later than someone without that genetic mutation, eventually, and in order or it to carry out it's task the maximum lifespan needs to be pushed further and further to allow or more healthy years of adulthood.

They found more century females than males, the speculation is that carrying children and giving birth to them is far more damaging to the body than actually planting the seed to make a child, thus evolution would serve more of a purpose in females than males.

It's interesting because they have pinpointed a section of our DNA sequence responsible or aging and death, the grim reaper genetic sequence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:36 pm 
Gorilla

Cellar Yeti wrote:
blabbate wrote:
Cellar Yeti wrote:

Yes but natural selection and evolution is a process that takes generations, sometimes and often without obvious cause or reason, think about it, what is the purpose of living to 113 when you cannot reproduce.

That's exactly my point. There is no purpose. Living longer than necessary is simply a bonus. You might be more genetically likely to have a long life if your parents did, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with procreation. There could very well be a gene that promotes longevity but reduces fertility, which would almost certainly be selected against.

These days, though, there's almost no difference either way. We've broken natural selection pretty completely. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 am 
Rabbit

As gross and ridiculous as it sounds, if it means less animals have to suffer, I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm 
Gorilla

Ultraspontane wrote:
As gross and ridiculous as it sounds, if it means less animals have to suffer, I'm all for it.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
Rabbit

I find meat disturbing and repulsive, the thought of it makes me sick.
I would be just as offended to see a chunk of Ham in my frig as I would to see a chunk of my neighbor’s leg.

As for meat tasting good… I did like the taste of meat before I was vegan, but that was many years ago.
About a year ago while on a road trip I got a bean burrito from a drive through.
I took a bite right into a piece of meat, it was awful! super, super salty and nasty tasting, I was really pissed.
My taste had changed so much since before I was vegan that it no longer tasted the same as I remember. The first time eating at Loving Hut the taste of the soy meats scared me, so I had to ask my wife (who is not vegan at all) is this real meat? She assures me it’s not and taste totally different, point being our taste just change over time.

But… the lab grown meat is more gross than disturbing. A bunch of cells grown in a lab… Yuck!! No thanks.

Kenny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
Manatee

They're just handing us a "lesser evil" as they progress into a new world which will only enslave the masses.

Its just like everything else.

What's new? :augenroller: