Question regarding my diet

Jun

Hi.

I was just wondering if it is okay in terms of nutrition to live off of one type of food on a long term?

I live in S. Korea and we have this ground grain powder product thingy available at cheap prices.

It contains around 12 to 15 types of grains depending on the maker, and the typical list would be:

barley, brown rice, black rice, glutinous rice, black bean, black sesame, sesame, corn, millet, soybean, adzuki bean etc. all together in one packet.

Into that I add frozen blue berries, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, apples, bananas and soy milk for breakfast.

Well I guess it is okay to have it for one meal a day but do you think it is healthy to rely on it as the main food source? The part I am worried about is I might be missing some essential nutrients only obtainable from plant-based food, like carrots, spinach and all that green leafy stuff?

I go to the gym 3 days a week because I am busy with my life at the moment, but I do work out hard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

That sounds like a hearty breakfast. You could try adding a salad to lunch (spinach, carrots, other dark green leafy vegetables) if you feel you are missing some vegetables

Oh gosh that's a good question. Some of us eat a food every day for years and have no problems. Others say it can increase your likelihood of becoming allergic to it. I worry about how easily digested that might be. If you get the bubbles (gas, flatulence), try taking extra funnel seeds before and after, either as a tea, or just chew the seeds well before swallowing.

Besides that, what Synny said =)

Thanks a lot for all the comments folks.

I forgot to mention that I also take a few tablets of spirulina daily for extra nutrition, just in case.

And my whole point in asking this question was whether it would be a problem in terms of health to live off of my diet for as long as, not 5 months or 1 year but, say 5 to 10 years or even the rest of my life. I can't help thinking that having a 'variety' of food sources is an important factor to take into account, because of what I read in some books on nutrition. Sure you can basically survive on anything, (e.g. Man VS Wild ) but I am talking about building muscles as well as health in general here.

I was told by nurses that your body changes every 10 yrs and your allergies can change with it. How true it is I don't know but considering I had never had a problem with wheat until recently I an inclined to believe it. Wheat gives me the worst pain I have probably every felt.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have a question regarding a topic that was brought up. If you are getting the "bubbles" as Mina mentioned, what else can you do to get rid of them completely? I eat a variety of fruits, veggies and grains throughout each day and further support my meals with a protein shake (either Vega or Sunwarrior), yet it seems like I get gas everyday. It is very embarrassing. I mean being a guy, having gas once in a while is one thing, but everyday all throughout the day is sign to stop and see what is going on and to find some answers ASAP. Especially when it seems like it is all the time. I drink plenty of water throughout the day. In the morning upon awakening I take Flax Oil and a couple Biotin capsules that I wash down with some water that is mixed with a product called Kanwa, which is a clay that contains all of the vitamins and minerals the human body truly needs to function at its peak. I mean the Tibetan monks have been using this stuff for thousands of years and NASA gives it to their astronauts. Later in the morning I take and mix up some Nutritional Yeast Flakes for all of my B-vitamins.

I love to mix it up with a variety of veggies and grains/rice (oatmeal, granola, quinoa). I don't really consume any soy. It really seemed like it was giving me gas. Please any help would me most appreciated.