Wanting to lose my "muffin top"

Hi, my name is Kimra. I just had my second child 9 weeks ago. After my first son, my body went back to my pre-pregnancy size within a few weeks. This time it just isn't happening. My body looks great, except for my "muffin top", which is the thing causing me not be able to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans. My midwife said it is fine for me to begin exercising, since I'm all healed up, but I really don't know where to begin. I have only done mild exercising since high school. Rollerskating sometimes, and went for hour long walks every day during both pregnancies. But I've never done exercising particularly for building muscles, but I really would like to. I eat a whole foods plant-based diet. I eat about 95% organic. I've been vegan for about 6 years now, was pescatarian for 8 years before that. I've always been skinny. I weigh 97lbs right now and I'm 5 feet tall. I've never been overweight but I would actually like to GAIN weight, particularly muscle weight. Since I'm nursing my newborn I already have to eat 500 extra calories per day. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day right now, which is normal for how small I am but if I start exercising I'm definitely gonna need more calories. My goal is to just be tone and have nice abs before bikini season. I am very blessed and didn't get any stretch marks on my tummy from pregnancy, so I really want to show off my body this summer. I want to feel good about my body and I wouldn't mind if people called me "MILF" behind my back. haha. Anyway, everything on the internet is about losing weight, well I'm not looking to lose weight. I'm looking to build muscles. Basically I need an exercise routine schedule. If I have a schedule I am more likely to stick to it and not get off track. My goal is to have flat abs by April and to fit back into my size 2 and size 3 jeans, and muscley abs by June. I would like muscle definition in my arms and to be able to do at least 20 pull ups (I can't even do one right now which makes me feel really weak since I used to be able to do over 50 just a few years ago). I do not have access to a gym, because a gym membership is not in our family budget right now, but I do have a treadmill, weights, pull up bar and yoga mat. I also own the P90X dvds and the Insanity dvds. I attempted them a few times but my body hurt so bad afterwords I couldn't even do the next days exercises, so I guess I need to start small and work my way up. Can anyone help me out or make some suggestions for me? Are there any workout schedules that are gradually more intense over time? instead of intense from day 1? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanx,

Kimra

its only been 9 weeks. I taught childbirth ed and was a trainer in the 90's- before it was shee shee trendy- it took 9 months to get big...you are only talking 9 weeks. Our bodies change with each baby and each season. the extra you have is the body fat you need to make breast milk and loose skin,--you just stretched your belly out so far...it goes back...I promise. Watch your diet- PUSH FLUIDS if you are nursing and working out, work out, love your babies, nurse, lalala--and if your jeans aren't where you want till August, it won't be the end of the world. Nurse, love your babies, push fluids, work out, love your babies...etc- its a precious time enjoy it. Its short live and your body will be banging' and you'll be the hottie mom this summer .nine week is nothing.

Welcome to the forums.

wow...it seems like a big goal with short expectation of time to achieve it. I can't imagine doing it without a gym pass myself. I naturally am very thin, but have done exactly what you are after...gained muscle, flattened my abs, 20 chin ups, and in the past couple months finally lost my muffin top. The commitment is 2 hrs a day at the gym on a proper bodybuilding routine, every set to muscle failure at a minimum, cardio until I'm soaked - with intense intervals - which is best for fat loss. And I've been doing this since last August to get to where I am now. The food I eat is extremely regulated...I count every carb/protein/fat gram and calorie every day now. Because food could easily sabotage all the work I put in at the gym and I didn't fully appreciate that until just the last couple months. A diet for cutting fat is 40% calories from carbs, 40% calories from protein, and 20% calories from fat (which has twice the calories of carb and protein) if you follow that diet and push muscles to failure every day you will shed fat and gain muscle.

• 3 months later...

A good prequel to P90X is Power 90. I have a few clients right now who are using that before they attempt anything tougher. P90X is a "graduate" level program, and you absolutely need to do the fit test first before determining whether or not you can go ahead and do it. P90X isn't for everyone. You can indeed modify it--heck, people have done it while in a wheelchair--but it works best if you have a decent fitness base first.

In all honesty, abs are made in the kitchen. Eliminate processed foods, eat LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains...and you should be fine. Use a site like myfitnesspal.com or cronometer.com to track protein/fats/carbs and your vitamin and mineral intake.