Hello from NYC

alkahest

Just discovered this site and decided I would just sign up instead of lurking.

My name is Paul and I am fairly new to the Veg lifestyle. Only stopped eating meat about 4 months ago because I read the book Meat is for Pussies by John Joseph and decided that he is right. Meat is for Pussies! Like he advises in the book I have been taking it slowly and learning to incorporate veganism into my lifestyle gradually so I am not completely vegan yet but that is the end goal.

In addition, I joined a gym for the first time about 5 or so months ago. Started out just on the treadmill but then got a personal trainer for a couple months to get familiar with weight training. Now I am addicted. I go at least 4 times a week and focus on heavy lifting and cardio. I'm a pretty small guy (about 155 lbs these days.... I lost 25 lbs of fat by dropping meat from my diet) but have started to bulk up a little with muscle.

I read about Robert Cheeke in Meat is for Pussies and that led me to this site. I also have been looking to the vast array of information by Mike Mahler for work out tips and hormone optimization.

In the past 4 months I have become a happier, healthier, energetic, and more compassionate person and I attribute that to healthy diet and lifestyle and the exclusion of meat and most animal products from my diet.

A little about me: I moved to Astoria, Queens a little over a year ago after living in Los Angeles for 8 years and it was the best decision I ever made! I am a graphic designer. I love a lot of music subcultures like heavy metal, hardcore, ambient, jazz, and modern classical (weird combo, I know) and try to go to as many shows as possible. I'm also a huge movie nerd.

Anyway, I will probably post some pics and more info about my routine in the before/after thread soon.

What's up Paul. I'm out in Brooklyn. Moved from SF in September but originally from Oregon. Robert's an old friend of mine and I also enjoyed reading meat is for pussies. Hormone optimization sounds really intriguing, I will definitely check out Mike Mahler.

I am also a music junkie and very eclectic. I went to one of the best shows Ive ever been to recently at Carnegie Hall, The Preservation Hall Jazz Band 50th anniversary. Check out the guest performances they had: Allen Toussaint, Blind Boys of Alabama, Del McCoury Band, Ed Helms (The Hangover), GIVERS, Merrill Garbus of tUnE-yArDs, My Morning Jacket, Steve Earle, Tao Seeger, Trey McIntyre Project, Trombone Shorty, yasiin bey (FKA Mos Def).

Welcome to the forum. I often suggest checking out the fitness journals section. See how other people are training and eating. The site has tons though, everything from workouts, music, recipes, personal ads, beer talk, tons or random stuff too.

-Dylan

• 2 months later...

If you're interested my friend and I have being going to vegan meet ups the last couple of months, they pick a bar that serves vegan food and people get together to meet other vegans, make friends, talk about their causes and organizations they work with. They're pretty chill and informative. Good for networking too.

-Dylan