Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 am 
Manatee

Your food pics are amazing...you need to write a vegan cook book...mouth watering some nights. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 am 
Gorilla

N.O.V is along with the main lifts & assistance...Not instead of assistance:) It's basically high intensity conditioning which is functional...

A nice 1-2 mile run 2-3 times a week well still serve you well but as you're still after weight gain I'd say to keep cardio relatively easy & limited eg a 2 mile walk, A low level stationary bike cycle (though we all know how soul destroying treadmills & the like are)

I'm into more death metal, grind ect but I like converge. Saw them along with Gaza not long back, Was amazing.....

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 am 
Batman

divamom wrote:
Your food pics are amazing...you need to write a vegan cook book...mouth watering some nights. Thanks.

I second that! :D or at least post us your recipes ;) x

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
N.O.V is along with the main lifts & assistance...Not instead of assistance:) It's basically high intensity conditioning which is functional...

A nice 1-2 mile run 2-3 times a week well still serve you well but as you're still after weight gain I'd say to keep cardio relatively easy & limited eg a 2 mile walk, A low level stationary bike cycle (though we all know how soul destroying treadmills & the like are)

I'm into more death metal, grind ect but I like converge. Saw them along with Gaza not long back, Was amazing.....

Well, shit. I wish I had access to a Prowler or treadmill pushes were an option. I don't do any conditioning right now and I think it'd be beneficial overall. Maybe since spring is coming I'll just start biking back and forth to the gym - it's pretty flat, not a long distance, and a good warm-up and cool down.

I've seen Converge quite a few times, always with an interesting assortment of bands that draw a pretty diverse crowd but always a good time.

vegan_rossco wrote:
divamom wrote:

I second that! :D or at least post us your recipes ;) x

Damn, thanks for the compliments! Most of the time I really just wing whatever it is I'm making but I'll start writing stuff down in the future if people legitimately want me to.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 am 
Gorilla

I wouldn't worry over cardio to much. You got a great base & you know how to plan food so the gains should be great (Though I'm gonna badger you to death when you start 5/3/1 to just eat when you want haha)

Biking to the gym is a good option, I have a 20mins walk usually & I do a really quick mile on a treadmill to warm up 4 times a week. Then I walk home again so it's nothing heavy.

I agree with the star wars comment btw ;)

I'm a nerd but I have come to realise that nerds make for the best lifters....

Off to read my walking dead comic..

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
I wouldn't worry over cardio to much. You got a great base & you know how to plan food so the gains should be great (Though I'm gonna badger you to death when you start 5/3/1 to just eat when you want haha)

Biking to the gym is a good option, I have a 20mins walk usually & I do a really quick mile on a treadmill to warm up 4 times a week. Then I walk home again so it's nothing heavy.

I agree with the star wars comment btw ;)

I'm a nerd but I have come to realise that nerds make for the best lifters....

Off to read my walking dead comic..

I plan on being a lot more lax about eating once 5/3/1 kicks in - I want to grow on this program and the only damn way I will is by eating big to get big.

Definitely plan on biking since I'm starting a new job that is, literally, right across the street from my gym.

And nerds are the best lifters. How far into Walking Dead are you? Definitely one of my favorites series currently out though I'm way behind.

Off to test squat 1RM; going to use 135/140 as my weight for the formula Wendler provides since that's around 80% of my consistent working sets of 170/175. I have no problem with underestimating my max, though, because things are going to get serious rather quickly with this program. :D

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm 
Gorilla

I had the book with the first 49 comics so just starting that.

I've been into loads of stuff over the years...favs being spawn & hellboy. I got a lot of
Comic/sci-fi tattoos haha

I'm being whisked away by my gf next week for a surprise birthday get away so this will be my first break from lifting since last summer. Have read people just skip the week they miss but I have re/plotted the sheet so I just pick up where I left off.

I under shot all my lifts, nothing wrong at all doing that.

Good luck with the testing this week. Shall be a great journey once you get cracking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm 
Elephant

Whats your new job??

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
I had the book with the first 49 comics so just starting that.

I've been into loads of stuff over the years...favs being spawn & hellboy. I got a lot of
Comic/sci-fi tattoos haha

I'm being whisked away by my gf next week for a surprise birthday get away so this will be my first break from lifting since last summer. Have read people just skip the week they miss but I have re/plotted the sheet so I just pick up where I left off.

I under shot all my lifts, nothing wrong at all doing that.

Good luck with the testing this week. Shall be a great journey once you get cracking

Comic books were pretty much my life as a child - the only thing I ever wanted for Christmas/my birthday were comic book subscriptions and I have a pretty substantial collection. Maybe I'll take a picture one of these days. Spawn was a favorite of mine growing up, too, thanks to my cousins.

Enjoy your break from lifting - I bet you come back stronger than ever since you haven't had a break in so long. I imagine it's going to drive you a bit nuts, though.

Thanks for the luck - today went really well, actually.

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
Whats your new job??

Hosting/serving/bartending!

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 pm 
Gorilla

Not-So-PHAT: Week 12
Moving forward, onward, and upward ...

All things end and my run of PHAT is no different. I’ll be posting a “final” recap of the program, ranging from how it helped improve my lifts, the things I liked and didn’t like about it, and all of that self-analytical jazz and perhaps even throw in a more “comprehensive” before/after photo spread. As that will take some time, I thought I’d let everyone know how this final week of the cycle will differ.

Rather than running five-day power/hypertrophy split, I will be doing a four day split, testing my maxes for squat, bench press, deadlift, and overhead press so, after a “light week,” I can start running Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program.

I chose 5/3/1 for one reason: to be stronger each day than I was the day before and the program was designed to accomplish this, physically and mentally. As Wendler states in the 5/3/1 handbook,

“The last set of the day is the all-out set. You’ll be going for as many reps as possible … Anything over and above that builds strength, muscle and character. Doing the prescribed reps shows you and your body that you’re strong enough for the workout. The extra reps are your way of dominating the workout and getting better.

For the program to be run correctly and efficiently, however, I have to test my maxes. As I lift solo, “true” 1RMs are out of the question and, as Wendler suggests, I’d much rather underestimate these numbers as the program becomes much more daunting as it progress. This will also leave me the first few weeks to nail my form down even harder so that once the weight becomes legitimately heavy I won’t have to question it.

So, for the next four training days, I will be using the following template:

Warm-up: hill walking, stretching, jumping rope.
Main lift: ramp up to 80% of perceived 1RM, perform as many reps as possible with that specific weight as weight x reps x .0333 + weight = estimated 1RM.
“Assistance” work: sprints, jumping rope, stretching, a couple of light weight, high rep sets but nothing taxing – just for the mental boost.

These “minimal work, maximum effort” will, hopefully, allow me to play my rest days by ear. I haven’t committed to a “two day-on, one day-off, two day-on” or an “every other day” plan for this very reason – if I feel up to testing bench the day after squats, I’ll do it; if I don’t, I’ll give myself a rest day. My goal here is to get the most genuine results without killing myself or underestimating myself. I’m also hoping that by using the above template, a week-long deload after testing can be avoided. Again, though, if I need one, I’ll take it and lower my calories for that week to around 1,800.

Once the need, or lack thereof, for a deload has been determined, 5/3/1 will commence and my calories will begin a slow and steady perpetual shift upward (until I lock down my first competition and decide what weight I would like to fall into). I will be using the first cycle to try out the three assistance templates I believe could be the most beneficial for my goal(s): Boring But Big, Triumvirate, and N.O.V. On the fourth and final “deload” week of that cycle, I’ll start running the template I’ve deemed to be the “right” fit and I will stick with it for the next three-to-four cycles.

I will not make the same mistakes I made with previous programs. I will not make personal adjustments. I will not lower my calories once the scale starts going up. I will trust the process. I will stay the course. I will get bigger. I will get stronger.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am 
Gorilla

Great summing up:) something to read while it's 4:47 & I have two hrs left of my shift...

For N.O.V to really work I def think you need a prowler & a sledge, other wise it's just conditioning.
Sorry if I didn't explain that better before hand.

I love the programmed assistance template, You already know/have two loadable lifts & no dicking about thinking what to lift.

If you settle on Triumvirate don't be scared of adding weight to stuff like dips when you need more of a challenge . Just as long as it doesn't kill the tricep & bench day goes out the window (though you should have a two day gap between upper/lower days)

I'm almost as excited as you that you're so bumped for this haha

This is always my advice: all you need is self belief, once you have this everything else will fall into place.

Ok enough "bro" talk....go make two peanut butter & banana sandwiches & down them haha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:52 am 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Great summing up:) something to read while it's 4:47 & I have two hrs left of my shift...

For N.O.V to really work I def think you need a prowler & a sledge, other wise it's just conditioning.
Sorry if I didn't explain that better before hand.

I love the programmed assistance template, You already know/have two loadable lifts & no dicking about thinking what to lift.

If you settle on Triumvirate don't be scared of adding weight to stuff like dips when you need more of a challenge . Just as long as it doesn't kill the tricep & bench day goes out the window (though you should have a two day gap between upper/lower days)

Looking over the programmed assistance template, I think I'm going to give that one a try during the third week. I love how it's possible to run this so many different ways, my lifting for the next year+ is set.

My gym was thinking about investing in a Prowler, actually, because the members get to decide where the extra money goes and, apparently, a few of us have mentioned it. We'll see if that happens. I'm going to be adding cardio in every lift day but mostly just steady-state biking to get myself ready for the trek home after lifting once the weather permits.

Weighted dips, chins, and pulls are a long way away - can't do a single rep unassisted, though, my progress on rack chins has been insane the last few weeks. I feel so damn strong doing them between bench sets.

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Ok enough "bro" talk....go make two peanut butter & banana sandwiches & down them haha

I literally just finished eating a waffle & peanut butter sandwich topped with soy ice cream. And I'm still hungry.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 am 
Gorilla

Haha eat something else;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 am 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Haha eat something else;)

About to. My Former Fat Kid fears have dissipated substantially as of late, largely because of your encouragement and realizing how badly I want to keep getting stronger and bigger.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
Gorilla

I'm glad you are coming round to this.

After I dropped from 202lb (over weight unfit meat eater) down to 138lb I had become a little over obsessive with food.

After moving back to my home town I joined the gym. I'd run 3 days a week, 6 miles. Do a 5 day split & also goto a keysi class once a week.

Sometimes I'd do a huge loop on a Saturday & run to the gym, 8 miles (12.8km) even before lifting a weight. I was just frightened to death of getting fat again.

Looking at pics now when I was light I think I look a little ill, super fit but it doesn't look very healthy.

When I had to buy an xsmall t & 28" jeans it clicked that I needed to gain weight. So I started the process of talking, reading, listening as much as I could.

Slowly I cut back the running, I just started to generally eat more & train smarter. The gains over a relatively short amount of time have been great.

I feel stronger, feel I have more energy & look a damn sight healthier. it's why I bang on about over training, I've done it & lived it so I feel I can have an opinion on it! As well as gaining mass.

Don't mean to give you my life story but a lot I read here really mirrors what I use to think, do & now what I want. 

Just don't be to afraid of gaining weight, what's the worse that can happen? Your lifts go up a little more ;)

It's pretty cool we both are taking the same journey. Being big & strong all year round  being the goal! not just 8 months of the year :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next