Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates

Check your email

Damn, thank you. I started reading as soon as I got off work and now I have even more thinking to do - but it's definitely welcomed.

Thought you might like this, an inspiring little clip of my new training partner...

18yrs old and a lifelong vegetarian; pound for pound probably the strongest deadlifter I know and he has only been training just under a year using 5/3/1

He's the first one up in that clip, that's his final lift from a meet we both competed in last week. A comfortable 484lb deadlift at 147 bodyweight (3.288 x bw).

Holy. Hell. Between you, sasquatch, and now this kid, 5/3/1 has some serious great vegetarian representation. I cannot wait to test my maxes next week and get going. Just gotta nail down my assistance lift decisions.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No fancy intros for these - working on v-logs and I've had a couple of split/double shifts this week.

Lower-body power day

PHAT: Week 11, Day 1

Barbell squat

5x85

5x115

5x135

5x155

5x165

5x170

5x175

DE squat

3x5x135

6x135

8x135

Standing barbell calf raise

16x160

30x200

Hanging leg raises

2x6

3x10

Leg press

6x360

10x270

15x180

20x90

Leg curl

10x90

2x12x80

10x70

Macros

d79ca0a8627011e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Mocha Java BBQ tempeh sandwich topped with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers with a big old salad.

52/132/216

Upper-body power day

PHAT: Week 11, Day 2

Barbell bench press

5x45

5x55

5x65

5x75

6x80

3x85 (PR)

2x5x70

2x70

4x65

5x65

Standing barbell overhead press

5x45

5x55

2x5x60

3x55

5x45

Notes: These were shit after benching. They definitely deserve their own day at this point or one of those two lifts end up suffering. I was so irate about this. Hence why I didn't bother with three sets of chins.

Assisted dips

10x110

10x100

5x70

2x5x80

7x90

10x90

Assisted pull-ups

10x110

10x90

4x5x90

5x100

2x100

Rack chins

2x10

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment

10x80

10x70

10x60

Ez-bar strict curls

12x40 (rep increases)

6x40

12x30

Macros

51/172/196

Misc.

http://distilleryimage3.instagram.com/e73cb4e0631e11e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Converge <3

Don't let the choice of assistance become all consuming, use the first cycle & try a template each week. Then stick to your choice for at least 3 cycles so you can see progression.

Use the assistance for that template (or use similar ones from the section where he shows the best assistance movements) but don't add anything that's not there. I know at least two people who did the usual thing & "tweaked" the programm. The assistance actually hinderd the main lift.

Your food is to die for, I'm gonna look you up when I come back to the States haha !!

I would definitely cook for you!

Converge <3

Don't let the choice of assistance become all consuming, use the first cycle & try a template each week. Then stick to your choice for at least 3 cycles so you can see progression.

Use the assistance for that template (or use similar ones from the section where he shows the best assistance movements) but don't add anything that's not there. I know at least two people who did the usual thing & "tweaked" the programm. The assistance actually hinderd the main lift.

Converge is one of my favorite bands of all time, most definitely.

And thank you for always giving the best advice. I'll definitely try a different template each week for the first cycle instead of overthinking it. I'm going to try out BBB, Triumvirate, and N.O.V. but, since I don't have a Prowler or weighted sled for conditioning, it's going to be all hill sprints and steep incline, heavy carry farmer's walks which I know is tweaking but I'd really like to do more conditioning.

Just popping in to say hi, haven't had a chance to watch your latest videos yet (but I will)!

Hope you had a great weekend, when do you officially start 5/3/1?

Finished my last "official" day of PHAT today; starting to test my maxes either tomorrow or Tuesday depending when I feel like I've gotten enough rest between lifting and then, instead of doing a full-on deload, taking two full days off from the gym and starting from there. I'm actually in the middle of writing up a post about how I'm going to go about all of it.

Do you use any hair products?

Nope. I just use a solid shampoo bar from Lush and/or their dry shampoo.

Since I'll begin running 5/3/1 after testing my maxes, and I negated stiff-legged deadlifts on lower-body power day and fucked-up my OHP on upper-body power day, I decided to give deads and OHP their own days this week. I think the results of this speak for themselves.

I also decided to use these two work outs to try and figure out what assistance lifts I'll be using for my trial of the Triumvirate template. Pretty sure I've got it all figured out. Feels awesome.

PHAT: Week 11, Day 3

Lower-body hypertrophy day

Training

Warm-up: Back raises, crunches, 100 jump ropes.

Barbell squat

3x10x65

Barbell deadlifts

5x135

5x155

5x165

10x175 (PR)

Calf press on the leg press

3x15x250

Leg curl

8x100

2x12x80

17x70

Leg press

2x12x270

Seated calf press

2x15x45 (8 second holds)

Back raises

15x10lbs

2x10x10lbs

Dumbbell side bends

25x30lbs

Nutrition

~53/150/200

PHAT: Week 11, Day 4

Back and shoulders hypertrophy

Training

Warm-up: 2 minutes hill walking (3.3 speed, 6 incline), 1 minute sprint (7.3 speed, 7.5 incline), 1 minute walking (3.3 speed, 7.5 incline), 220 jump ropes.

Standing barbell overhead press

5x45

5x50

5x55

5x60

5x65

5x70

3x75 (PR)

2x75

Rack chins

8x5 (done in between OHP sets)

Barbell shrugs

10x135

10x185

20x200

10x185

15x135

One-arm dumbbell rows

3x10x40

Arnold presses

2x10x15

10x10

Lat pulldowns

10x60

10x70

12x80

Seated dumbbell shoulder press

2x15x15

12x15

Delt flyes

2x10x25

Nutrition

~60/130/200

I went out to brunch with a friend and the nature of the meal made estimating macros a bit difficult today. A not greasy falafel wrap and some really greasy french fries makes it difficult to determine calories but, to be safe, I just estimated it as around 900-1000 (since the fat was pretty high), made sure I hit my protein target, and then used up what was left of the 1000 as I saw fit.

N.O.V is along with the main lifts & assistance...Not instead of assistance:) It's basically high intensity conditioning which is functional...

A nice 1-2 mile run 2-3 times a week well still serve you well but as you're still after weight gain I'd say to keep cardio relatively easy & limited eg a 2 mile walk, A low level stationary bike cycle (though we all know how soul destroying treadmills & the like are)

I'm into more death metal, grind ect but I like converge. Saw them along with Gaza not long back, Was amazing.....

N.O.V is along with the main lifts & assistance...Not instead of assistance:) It's basically high intensity conditioning which is functional...

A nice 1-2 mile run 2-3 times a week well still serve you well but as you're still after weight gain I'd say to keep cardio relatively easy & limited eg a 2 mile walk, A low level stationary bike cycle (though we all know how soul destroying treadmills & the like are)

I'm into more death metal, grind ect but I like converge. Saw them along with Gaza not long back, Was amazing.....

Well, shit. I wish I had access to a Prowler or treadmill pushes were an option. I don't do any conditioning right now and I think it'd be beneficial overall. Maybe since spring is coming I'll just start biking back and forth to the gym - it's pretty flat, not a long distance, and a good warm-up and cool down.

I've seen Converge quite a few times, always with an interesting assortment of bands that draw a pretty diverse crowd but always a good time.

Your food pics are amazing...you need to write a vegan cook book...mouth watering some nights. Thanks.

I second that! or at least post us your recipes x

Damn, thanks for the compliments! Most of the time I really just wing whatever it is I'm making but I'll start writing stuff down in the future if people legitimately want me to.

I wouldn't worry over cardio to much. You got a great base & you know how to plan food so the gains should be great (Though I'm gonna badger you to death when you start 5/3/1 to just eat when you want haha)

Biking to the gym is a good option, I have a 20mins walk usually & I do a really quick mile on a treadmill to warm up 4 times a week. Then I walk home again so it's nothing heavy.

I agree with the star wars comment btw

I'm a nerd but I have come to realise that nerds make for the best lifters....

Off to read my walking dead comic..

I wouldn't worry over cardio to much. You got a great base & you know how to plan food so the gains should be great (Though I'm gonna badger you to death when you start 5/3/1 to just eat when you want haha)

Biking to the gym is a good option, I have a 20mins walk usually & I do a really quick mile on a treadmill to warm up 4 times a week. Then I walk home again so it's nothing heavy.

I agree with the star wars comment btw

I'm a nerd but I have come to realise that nerds make for the best lifters....

Off to read my walking dead comic..

I plan on being a lot more lax about eating once 5/3/1 kicks in - I want to grow on this program and the only damn way I will is by eating big to get big.

Definitely plan on biking since I'm starting a new job that is, literally, right across the street from my gym.

And nerds are the best lifters. How far into Walking Dead are you? Definitely one of my favorites series currently out though I'm way behind.

Off to test squat 1RM; going to use 135/140 as my weight for the formula Wendler provides since that's around 80% of my consistent working sets of 170/175. I have no problem with underestimating my max, though, because things are going to get serious rather quickly with this program.

I had the book with the first 49 comics so just starting that.

I've been into loads of stuff over the years...favs being spawn & hellboy. I got a lot of

Comic/sci-fi tattoos haha

I'm being whisked away by my gf next week for a surprise birthday get away so this will be my first break from lifting since last summer. Have read people just skip the week they miss but I have re/plotted the sheet so I just pick up where I left off.

I under shot all my lifts, nothing wrong at all doing that.

Good luck with the testing this week. Shall be a great journey once you get cracking

I had the book with the first 49 comics so just starting that.

I've been into loads of stuff over the years...favs being spawn & hellboy. I got a lot of

Comic/sci-fi tattoos haha

I'm being whisked away by my gf next week for a surprise birthday get away so this will be my first break from lifting since last summer. Have read people just skip the week they miss but I have re/plotted the sheet so I just pick up where I left off.

I under shot all my lifts, nothing wrong at all doing that.

Good luck with the testing this week. Shall be a great journey once you get cracking

Comic books were pretty much my life as a child - the only thing I ever wanted for Christmas/my birthday were comic book subscriptions and I have a pretty substantial collection. Maybe I'll take a picture one of these days. Spawn was a favorite of mine growing up, too, thanks to my cousins.

Enjoy your break from lifting - I bet you come back stronger than ever since you haven't had a break in so long. I imagine it's going to drive you a bit nuts, though.

Thanks for the luck - today went really well, actually.

Whats your new job??

Hosting/serving/bartending!

Not-So-PHAT: Week 12

Moving forward, onward, and upward ...

All things end and my run of PHAT is no different. I’ll be posting a “final” recap of the program, ranging from how it helped improve my lifts, the things I liked and didn’t like about it, and all of that self-analytical jazz and perhaps even throw in a more “comprehensive” before/after photo spread. As that will take some time, I thought I’d let everyone know how this final week of the cycle will differ.

Rather than running five-day power/hypertrophy split, I will be doing a four day split, testing my maxes for squat, bench press, deadlift, and overhead press so, after a “light week,” I can start running Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program.

I chose 5/3/1 for one reason: to be stronger each day than I was the day before and the program was designed to accomplish this, physically and mentally. As Wendler states in the 5/3/1 handbook,

“The last set of the day is the all-out set. You’ll be going for as many reps as possible … Anything over and above that builds strength, muscle and character. Doing the prescribed reps shows you and your body that you’re strong enough for the workout. The extra reps are your way of dominating the workout and getting better.

For the program to be run correctly and efficiently, however, I have to test my maxes. As I lift solo, “true” 1RMs are out of the question and, as Wendler suggests, I’d much rather underestimate these numbers as the program becomes much more daunting as it progress. This will also leave me the first few weeks to nail my form down even harder so that once the weight becomes legitimately heavy I won’t have to question it.

So, for the next four training days, I will be using the following template:

Warm-up: hill walking, stretching, jumping rope.

Main lift: ramp up to 80% of perceived 1RM, perform as many reps as possible with that specific weight as weight x reps x .0333 + weight = estimated 1RM.

“Assistance” work: sprints, jumping rope, stretching, a couple of light weight, high rep sets but nothing taxing – just for the mental boost.

These “minimal work, maximum effort” will, hopefully, allow me to play my rest days by ear. I haven’t committed to a “two day-on, one day-off, two day-on” or an “every other day” plan for this very reason – if I feel up to testing bench the day after squats, I’ll do it; if I don’t, I’ll give myself a rest day. My goal here is to get the most genuine results without killing myself or underestimating myself. I’m also hoping that by using the above template, a week-long deload after testing can be avoided. Again, though, if I need one, I’ll take it and lower my calories for that week to around 1,800.

Once the need, or lack thereof, for a deload has been determined, 5/3/1 will commence and my calories will begin a slow and steady perpetual shift upward (until I lock down my first competition and decide what weight I would like to fall into). I will be using the first cycle to try out the three assistance templates I believe could be the most beneficial for my goal(s): Boring But Big, Triumvirate, and N.O.V. On the fourth and final “deload” week of that cycle, I’ll start running the template I’ve deemed to be the “right” fit and I will stick with it for the next three-to-four cycles.

I will not make the same mistakes I made with previous programs. I will not make personal adjustments. I will not lower my calories once the scale starts going up. I will trust the process. I will stay the course. I will get bigger. I will get stronger.

Great summing up:) something to read while it's 4:47 & I have two hrs left of my shift...

For N.O.V to really work I def think you need a prowler & a sledge, other wise it's just conditioning.

Sorry if I didn't explain that better before hand.

I love the programmed assistance template, You already know/have two loadable lifts & no dicking about thinking what to lift.

If you settle on Triumvirate don't be scared of adding weight to stuff like dips when you need more of a challenge . Just as long as it doesn't kill the tricep & bench day goes out the window (though you should have a two day gap between upper/lower days)

I'm almost as excited as you that you're so bumped for this haha

This is always my advice: all you need is self belief, once you have this everything else will fall into place.

Ok enough "bro" talk....go make two peanut butter & banana sandwiches & down them haha

Great summing up:) something to read while it's 4:47 & I have two hrs left of my shift...

For N.O.V to really work I def think you need a prowler & a sledge, other wise it's just conditioning.

Sorry if I didn't explain that better before hand.

I love the programmed assistance template, You already know/have two loadable lifts & no dicking about thinking what to lift.

If you settle on Triumvirate don't be scared of adding weight to stuff like dips when you need more of a challenge . Just as long as it doesn't kill the tricep & bench day goes out the window (though you should have a two day gap between upper/lower days)

Looking over the programmed assistance template, I think I'm going to give that one a try during the third week. I love how it's possible to run this so many different ways, my lifting for the next year+ is set.

My gym was thinking about investing in a Prowler, actually, because the members get to decide where the extra money goes and, apparently, a few of us have mentioned it. We'll see if that happens. I'm going to be adding cardio in every lift day but mostly just steady-state biking to get myself ready for the trek home after lifting once the weather permits.

Weighted dips, chins, and pulls are a long way away - can't do a single rep unassisted, though, my progress on rack chins has been insane the last few weeks. I feel so damn strong doing them between bench sets.

Ok enough "bro" talk....go make two peanut butter & banana sandwiches & down them haha

I literally just finished eating a waffle & peanut butter sandwich topped with soy ice cream. And I'm still hungry.

I'm glad you are coming round to this.

After I dropped from 202lb (over weight unfit meat eater) down to 138lb I had become a little over obsessive with food.

After moving back to my home town I joined the gym. I'd run 3 days a week, 6 miles. Do a 5 day split & also goto a keysi class once a week.

Sometimes I'd do a huge loop on a Saturday & run to the gym, 8 miles (12.8km) even before lifting a weight. I was just frightened to death of getting fat again.

Looking at pics now when I was light I think I look a little ill, super fit but it doesn't look very healthy.

When I had to buy an xsmall t & 28" jeans it clicked that I needed to gain weight. So I started the process of talking, reading, listening as much as I could.

Slowly I cut back the running, I just started to generally eat more & train smarter. The gains over a relatively short amount of time have been great.

I feel stronger, feel I have more energy & look a damn sight healthier. it's why I bang on about over training, I've done it & lived it so I feel I can have an opinion on it! As well as gaining mass.

Don't mean to give you my life story but a lot I read here really mirrors what I use to think, do & now what I want. 

Just don't be to afraid of gaining weight, what's the worse that can happen? Your lifts go up a little more

It's pretty cool we both are taking the same journey. Being big & strong all year round  being the goal! not just 8 months of the year