What do you eat before going to bed?

gcorrea

Hey! I'm trying to lose 4 kg, but I don't want to lose muscle, just fat.

My last meal is at 9 PM, but I usually go to bed by midnight. Sometimes I am really hungry before sleeping and I think it may not be good. On the other hand, I also think it may not be good to eat something before sleeping. What do you think, folks?

Eating before bed spells disaster in a couple of ways which to basically sum it up means your body is gonna be working with that food when it should be resting, your body needs the break/rest from digesting food all day, and last but not least it helps you gain/retain fat.

I go by Intermittent Fasting and there's a good thread on here somewhere that focuses on the subject. Its basically about getting in all your calories early in the day/evening within an 8 hr window and the rest of the 16 hours your body will spend healing itself and winding down for the night, without excess calories its just gonna have to process and store as fat.

I've gone from 191 in early Dec to today at 170 doing the IF way of eating and my strength and muscle is still here. What left was a lot of fluid and some fat. I actually am seeing striations in my muscles I've never seen before. Amazing!!

I can't wait to up the weights and intensity now and see what kind of a BEAST has been lying under this skin all along!!

Anyway, so yea, that's my take on it. lol

my sixth meal on a cutting diet is 1.5 tb peanut butter, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and .75 serving pea protein. lost 9lbs so far since jan 1. this is what my trainer told me to do, with carbs higher in the am, fats higher in the pm, only 5 carbs at my last meal. i eat it around 9, bed by 10:30. but it sounds like horse sense is also has good stuff too.

Eating before bed spells disaster in a couple of ways which to basically sum it up means your body is gonna be working with that food when it should be resting, your body needs the break/rest from digesting food all day, and last but not least it helps you gain/retain fat.

There's no evidence to support this. It's a misconception based on observational research without proper controls. Late eating was just one factor among many in these studies, and drawing a causal link without considering the other variables, such as general overeating, is incorrect. If the people who tend to eat late also tend to eat much more overall, is it correct to blame the timing of the meals? Probably not.

Proper, controlled studies have found no negative link between late meals and increase in fat or decrease in lean mass. Digestion doesn't tire your body or prevent it from resting.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Also, I forgot to mention something. This should be a given, but eating grains helps you feel fuller longer and aids greatly with IF. If you don't have any wheat allergies, whole grain wraps and pasta are good for this. Things like oatmeal are very "filling" for a long time, too, I've found.

• 3 weeks later...

There's no evidence to support this. It's a misconception based on observational research without proper controls. Late eating was just one factor among many in these studies, and drawing a causal link without considering the other variables, such as general overeating, is incorrect. If the people who tend to eat late also tend to eat much more overall, is it correct to blame the timing of the meals? Probably not.

Proper, controlled studies have found no negative link between late meals and increase in fat or decrease in lean mass. Digestion doesn't tire your body or prevent it from resting.

Apologies for my lack of politeness as this shouldn't be the place for my 1st post and I shall use the introduction page in due course.

I read your challenge to the OP with great interest as I was always under the impression that pre-bedtime meals were a total carb no-no. I'm interested in your opinion of the concensus that the body must be placed in a anabolic state during sleep and must be fed a slow digesting protein to ensure a steady supply during rest. This is the one area of a vegan diet I struggle with. How does one prevent catabolism during the night. Or, is the need for staying anabolic during the night a myth?

Apologies for my lack of politeness as this shouldn't be the place for my 1st post and I shall use the introduction page in due course.

I read your challenge to the OP with great interest as I was always under the impression that pre-bedtime meals were a total carb no-no. I'm interested in your opinion of the concensus that the body must be placed in a anabolic state during sleep and must be fed a slow digesting protein to ensure a steady supply during rest. This is the one area of a vegan diet I struggle with. How does one prevent catabolism during the night. Or, is the need for staying anabolic during the night a myth?

For all intents and purposes, meal timing is largely irrelevant. Read the link posted as well as this research review: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html