Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:32 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:37 pm
Posts: 984
Location: "...is there balm in Gilead?"
A HEM !

:?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:10 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 244
Location: central Ontario, Canada
:shock: :lachmal: :lachmal: :lachmal: :roll:

Don't you have better things to do than dig up old dusty threads :lol:

Actually, I've been going to a chiropractor about twice a week for the past 3 weeks and my shoulders are feeling much much better.

In fact, if you promise to keep a secret, I've been lifting during those three weeks when I'm not supposed to. Actually, I'm lifting very light but he said I could work my legs, so I've been doing that.

This has been a good exercise for me because I'm lifting smarter and really focusing on form and muscle control. I can already feel some change and see some change as well. I'm also incorporating rotator cuff exercises into my troutine as part of my warm ups.

So it's all good.

But thanks for noticing.......

_________________
Do not let the endless possibilities blind you to your one true path.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:37 pm
Posts: 984
Location: "...is there balm in Gilead?"
Well, well, well, Mister :D
I need to concentrate. I remember you mentioning that in my journal. My prob is more like and dislike. It's hard to be motivated for something you don't enjoy.
I'm glad you're doing better! sometimes it's a gamble with chiropractors. Is he just massaging? Sometimes, just that is worth it!

And, hey, don't worry, you can trust me. I won't tell :silent:


~~~~~Yee heeheeheeeeee!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: motivation...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:51 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 244
Location: central Ontario, Canada
As for the not enjoying it........can you, and I hesitate to use this phrase....."reframe it"
1. Make it more enjoyable by creating a more enjoyable/conducive environment in which to w/o.
2. If you're a competitive person, start competing against yourself by setting achieveable targets and reward yourself for achieving them.
3. Again, turn the exercise itself into a medium for body/muscle awareness. Close your eyes when you lift and feel the muscles work. This practice translates very well into relaxation exercises and meditation.
I've worked out to Tibetan meditation themes/music/sounds in this manner and have found it to be very therapeutic for both mind and body.
The focus should not be so much on the pushing against the weight and yelling and groaning etc (that's fun too) but focusing inward with a mind trained on the movement, almost willing the weight to move rather than focusing your energy outward. Ya, I know, kinda cryptic but we can pm if you don't quite get it.
4. Positive and negative or good or bad, are only our reflections/perceptions of what is transpiring around us. We have the ultimate and final authority to decide how we are going to react. So, decide that it is not something you dislike. Decide instead that you will have an open mind about it and you will do it without deciding whether or not you like it. And perhaps in time you may decide that you do like it. It is beneficial, it does fit into your mindset about treating your body with respect BUT if it really isn't for you it isn't for you.

The chiropractor is great although many on this board will disagree. Mind you he hasn't doen any spine work beyond making sure things are in-line.

What he does is feel for scar tissue and in my case some adhesion to bone that shouldn't be there. He uh.....rather strenuously works to break up the scar tissue between the muscle fibres and then works to increase the range of motion. And it is working great.

I've never had a massage but I'm thinking I'll treat myself to that some time soon as well.


Peace...........

_________________
Do not let the endless possibilities blind you to your one true path.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: motivation...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 11:05 pm
Posts: 2651
Phoenix wrote:
As for the not enjoying it........can you, and I hesitate to use this phrase....."reframe it"
1. Make it more enjoyable by creating a more enjoyable/conducive environment in which to w/o.
2. If you're a competitive person, start competing against yourself by setting achieveable targets and reward yourself for achieving them.
3. Again, turn the exercise itself into a medium for body/muscle awareness. Close your eyes when you lift and feel the muscles work. This practice translates very well into relaxation exercises and meditation.
I've worked out to Tibetan meditation themes/music/sounds in this manner and have found it to be very therapeutic for both mind and body.
The focus should not be so much on the pushing against the weight and yelling and groaning etc (that's fun too) but focusing inward with a mind trained on the movement, almost willing the weight to move rather than focusing your energy outward. Ya, I know, kinda cryptic but we can pm if you don't quite get it.
4. Positive and negative or good or bad, are only our reflections/perceptions of what is transpiring around us. We have the ultimate and final authority to decide how we are going to react. So, decide that it is not something you dislike. Decide instead that you will have an open mind about it and you will do it without deciding whether or not you like it. And perhaps in time you may decide that you do like it. It is beneficial, it does fit into your mindset about treating your body with respect BUT if it really isn't for you it isn't for you.


Excellent Post Phoenix!

Quote:
The chiropractor is great although many on this board will disagree. Mind you he hasn't doen any spine work beyond making sure things are in-line.


I have heard good and bad things about chiropractors. My father uses one now (after a major car accident) and always feels so much better after he is finished a session. I really think it's like finding the right physician, some are great some are aweful. It sounds like you found a great one. :)

Quote:
I've never had a massage but I'm thinking I'll treat myself to that some time soon as well.


Myself either. I once had a gift cert for one, but never went. The thought of some stranger touching me......eek. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: motivation...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 244
Location: central Ontario, Canada
Quote:
The chiropractor is great although many on this board will disagree. Mind you he hasn't doen any spine work beyond making sure things are in-line.


:lol: Ya, I was grinning to myself SeaSiren and thinking about how to describe the chiropractic work so that it wouldn't frighten you off.

Myself either. I once had a gift cert for one, but never went. The thought of some stranger touching me......eek. :shock:[/quote]

Ya, I wonder about that too but not to the point of eek :lol: :lol:

_________________
Do not let the endless possibilities blind you to your one true path.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:08 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Waukesha, WI
I went to a chiro for about 5 sessions after spraining my lower back. I think it helped speed the healing a bit, but it was something that would have taken care of itself naturally so it probably wasn't necessary. Though, I wanted to get back to lifting as quickly as possible, so maybe it was good.

Some people I've known say great things about chiro work, some say it's all a crock...definitely varying opinions out there. The work I had done was pretty simple - it was basically some contorted cracking of my back in about 5 different positions (which took about 3-4 minutes tops) followed by my lying on a table and getting an icy-hot type ultrasound to break up scar tissue in the injured area and that was it. There's not much "touching" involved - you lay on the weird table for the cracking, they'll push down on you a few times near your hip, then wrap your arms around like a pretzel and push a few more times for basic rehab stuff and that's about it. Like I said, should be about a half dozen crackings, takes a REALLY short time, then they'll probably pass you on to one of the technicians who just to the non-cracking stuff if need be and that's about it.

I'm very skeptical in the aspect that according to any chiro, you ALWAYS need work (pretty much because nobody has perfect spinal alignment), but if you're injured it is worth a shot. I wouldn't go to one if I wasn't feeling pain, so that pretty well sums up how I feel about the need to go to one!

Ryan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:26 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:37 pm
Posts: 984
Location: "...is there balm in Gilead?"
Okay, now, don't make me stop this car ... :D

What 'cha doin'? Miss you :(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group