My 1st 5K

robert

Awesome! This is great to read!

I'm so pleased you found the challenge meaningful and I'm happy you like your prizes too!

Congratulations on your new focus and aim to run a 5K! kareno is preparing for one now as well. We have many runners within this community.

All the very best! How exciting!

-Robert

Great work greenbride! My advice for training is to not take it to serious, set goals and push but always have fun. I rarely run with a watch it helps me just relax and enjoy running. Last night i ran with a watch for the first time in weeks, I only did this so I could work out rough splits for an upcoming race(also in 8 weeks). I had a good run but it was kind of annoying looking at my watch every few minutes. I felt like it was dictating the run a bit.

Run in places that you love, for me that’s on trails but if you feel more at home in the gym hit the treadmill. When i started running the first few weeks were hard but then I got into a groove and my runs started to become part of my everyday life.

I’m sure you are going to kick butt! Sounds like you're already active so that will help heaps! Take it easy and have lots of fun with your training!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I remember the beginning of my first 5K training too. In the beginning it can be very easy and there is a temptation to skip ahead in the program. I would say don't skip ahead even if you feel like a lot of the workouts are easy. If you do that you run a risk of getting burned out and/or injured. Difficulty will ramp up in time, don't worry. It's easy to get injured in running if you push your boundaries too much and/or try to progress too fast.

As for Thrive, if the recipes look easy to you give it a shot. I always thought the recipes were kinda complicated and required a lot of ingredients that I would have to go Whole Foods specifically to get. If you check out www.nomeatathlete.com it's a vegetarian/vegan running website and they have lots of plant-based recipes for runners, that IMO are a lot easier to do than the stuff in Thrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gretchen! I just saw this journal post here. So proud of you for doing the Couch-to-5K program. As you know, I just finished it yesterday myself. For me, though, even the beginning was never easy. Haha! It was a struggle all the way through. But, yesterday's race made it all worthwhile, and it was soooo much fun! Anyway, hope it's going well for you and that you're sticking with it. I also did it through my iPhone app and loved it that way. It's nice to not have to look at the clock if you don't want to, since she just talks to you and tells you when to walk/run and gives you encouragement to boot!

Hope all is well!!! Better than "well", I hope it's GREAT!

• 4 weeks later...